Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

FMguru posted:

Don't know anything about the source, but here's a another poll showing AK-Sen essentially tied.

https://twitter.com/kilometerbryman/status/1316918248085114880

This has been my dark horse Senate flip from the beginning. Keep it weird Alaska!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Youth Decay posted:

He doesn't appear to have an official campaign website and he has a 22-follower twitter that he hasn't posted on since July, but it's about what you'd expect https://twitter.com/thedeprogrammer
The LaRouchites (whose base is now LaRouchePAC) are very pro-Trump but still field their own loons too. They're not really independent anymore, they are dedicated to supporting Trump.
The Larouchies were always deranged, but that's sad to hear.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

TulliusCicero posted:

Whatever happened to that wierdo?

Did he ever make any actual friends?

His health is falling apart and theres a significant chance he'll be dead by the end of the year.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

i thought ben stein was super conservative. why's he running as an independent

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Bootleg Trunks posted:

His health is falling apart and theres a significant chance he'll be dead by the end of the year.

Brutal, in its own way, but if this is the person I remember and see crop up from time to time, he's thoroughly deranged. I didn't know he was ever a part of this place?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Bootleg Trunks posted:

The only tragedy here is it's him and not trump.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rigel posted:

To me, huge numbers of undecideds in a dark red state means a lot of embarrassed Republicans, and you can probably give about 75% of them to the Republican.

Just 75% would result in an insane landslide for Biden. Incumbents should get around 92% of their party IIRC.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FMguru posted:

Greg Sargent at the WaPo analyzes the early voting numbers and declares them to be very good news if you were hoping to avoid election shenanigans.

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1316843540069130244

Important point

quote:

As McDonald told me, in swing states such as Florida, North Carolina and Arizona, elections officials are very likely to be able to count the mail votes quickly, in part because of their vote-counting rules, and in part because so many voters will have gotten in their ballots earlier than expected.

McDonald noted that the quick count of mail ballots in those states — particularly with so many Democrats getting in ballots early for Joe Biden — could help preempt a scenario in which Trump is leading on election night, allowing him
to prematurely declare victory.

That’s because we’ll see huge sums of Democratic-heavy mail ballots counted right away, with in-person Election Day voting counted through the night.

“Trump is the one who’s going to be catching up on election night” in states like those, McDonald told me. “It’s not going to be Biden.”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Once you start getting into the deep red or blue states you run up against the issue of voter elasticity -- the willingness of an average person in that state to switch their typical party line vote. It's part of the reason why it's so difficult for Democrats to compete in the Deep South, as party polarization has only increased over the last 40 years and you have to convince enough persuadable voters to switch their ballot to D for the first time in their lives. New Hampshire, by contrast, has a lot of voter elasticity -- there are mostly Democrats, but there are also a lot of people who will vote for Republicans or Independents. It's why Sununu is probably going to win re-election by a bajillion points even though Biden's lead there is in the double digits, and why Clinton only carried the state by .3% in 2016. For this reason I think Bullock is more likely to win his Senate race than Harrison despite getting a whole lot less publicity. Montana is a red state, but it isn't that red, and it's consistently elected Democrats to top-level offices before.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

exquisite tea posted:

Once you start getting into the deep red or blue states you run up against the issue of voter elasticity -- the willingness of an average person in that state to switch their typical party line vote. It's part of the reason why it's so difficult for Democrats to compete in the Deep South, as party polarization has only increased over the last 40 years and you have to convince enough persuadable voters to switch their ballot to D for the first time in their lives. New Hampshire, by contrast, has a lot of voter elasticity -- there are mostly Democrats, but there are also a lot of people who will vote for Republicans or Independents. It's why Sununu is probably going to win re-election by a bajillion points even though Biden's lead there is in the double digits, and why Clinton only carried the state by .3% in 2016. For this reason I think Bullock is more likely to win his Senate race than Harrison despite getting a whole lot less publicity. Montana is a red state, but it isn't that red, and it's consistently elected Democrats to top-level offices before.
Also, MT and NH are low-population states, where voters are much more likely to directly interact with (or be one degree of separation away from someone who interacted with) notable statewide politicians. Senator Bland isn't just a Democrat or Republican, he's the person who spoke at your son's high school graduation, or the guy whose sister works in the same office building as you so you sometimes see him around. Or he's someone who has grown from mayor to state representative to congressman to governor over the course of a couple of decades, and been a presence in your community for all that time. Those kinds of personal connections can allow savvy politicians to thrive even in states that are very heavily tilted towards the other party. That trick is a lot easier to pull off in small population states like Montana than in, say, Florida or California.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Voters have cast a total of 19,858,793 ballots in the reporting states.

There are still 10 states, including NY that have not released statistics.
https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Bootleg Trunks posted:

What's wrong with him? I went googling and couldn't find the answer.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Turnout in Colorado is up 2400% compared to this time last year

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/15/colorado-2020-election-voter-turnout-ballots/

quote:

Of the 300,795 people who had voted as of late Wednesday, 46% were registered Democrats, who comprise just 30% of total active, registered voters in Colorado and typically vote later than Republicans.

A September poll of registered Colorado voters showed that 87% of Biden supporters were “extremely motivated” to vote, 7% higher than Trump voters here. Polling has also shown Colorado has many more Biden supporters than Trump supporters, as the president has had a consistent double-digit polling deficit in this state.

Republicans make up 27% of the state’s overall voter roll but accounted for only 19% of ballots received by late Wednesday.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Holy poo poo, 24.00%?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Artificial Kid posted:

Holy poo poo, 24.00%?

A 2,377% increase

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Charlz Guybon posted:

A 2,377% increase
You seem to keep adding extra digits to the increase in votes for some reason.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I never edited that first post. It was 2400 from the beginning. You're the one who added a decimal point.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Holy poo poo, 24.00%?

What is this bit? It sucks

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Good morning

https://twitter.com/ppollingnumbers/status/1317067050867691526?s=21

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Dig up, stupid

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I want to believe.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
18 more days to go, friends.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I wish these Florida polls would ask how many peeps have already voted.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I wish these Florida polls would ask how many peeps have already voted.

I guess given the state of voting a lot of these polls could be seen as exit polling depending on whether or not someone is willing to answer the question.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This has to be an outlier, but my God, if they've finally alienated the Olds...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
That KFF poll of Florida just became unavailable/got deleted.

Ppollingnumbers has this up now:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1317067785135153153

vvv: Kasier Family Foundation poll of Florida, with Biden up +11 or something like that

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
That tweet's gone already, what was it

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

e: beaten

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Ah, now it makes sense. They scrambled some of their numbers. The +11 Biden was a national (not FL) poll by KFF.

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1317072964253351936

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FMguru posted:

That KFF poll of Florida just became unavailable/got deleted.

Ppollingnumbers has this up now:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1317067785135153153

vvv: Kasier Family Foundation poll of Florida, with Biden up +11 or something like that

+11 Biden in Florida? Yeeeeeeeeah nah. No way. That suggests a Biden blowout like we haven't seen for 50 years.

That +3 Biden is more believeable. Still amazing, but believeable

Edit :postedbefore read the above

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wouldn't be the first Biden +11 result we've seen in Florida, Quinnipiac had him up by as much there last week. Quinnipiac has been unusually favorable to Biden by a significant margin, though.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah it was actually Biden +11 national, not Florida. That's still an excellent result as it's up 6 from their September national poll. Would be interesting to see if they do put out a Florida poll since their last had Biden +1

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hypothetically if Biden actually was up by 11 in Florida what would that mean for his numbers nationally? That sounds like Alf Landon territory.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

About +15 because Florida tends to be 4% more R than the national vote.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hypothetically if Biden actually was up by 11 in Florida what would that mean for his numbers nationally? That sounds like Alf Landon territory.

A bunch of us die drunk but estatic?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You'd think, but because of increased polarization, I think it would get Biden to 413-125 (as opposed to 523-8 in 1936) based on 538's polling numbers + snake map, because even +5 from current doesn't break you South Carolina or beyond.

Interestingly, though, as I read it 413-125 (or thereabouts, modulo single vote swings with NE/ME or whatever) seems to be the most likely single outcome on the 538 simulation, although far less likely than {Biden winning with something less than that}.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry about that, that was the first thing I saw on my updates this morning and snapped awake. 11 National makes more sense

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Petey posted:

You'd think, but because of increased polarization, I think it would get Biden to 413-125 (as opposed to 523-8 in 1936) based on 538's polling numbers + snake map, because even +5 from current doesn't break you South Carolina or beyond.

Interestingly, though, as I read it 413-125 (or thereabouts, modulo single vote swings with NE/ME or whatever) seems to be the most likely single outcome on the 538 simulation, although far less likely than {Biden winning with something less than that}.

Based on 2016 results, a uniform 10% national swing to Biden (that's a 12% victory in total - a genuine landslide) would get him 413 EVs, which is probably the most he can expect to get in even the most optimistic of scenarios. A uniform 15% swing would only add SC and AK (just barely), getting him to 425. He'd need to win by more than 20% nationally to get any more than that.

EDIT: Incidentally, the 538 model says its about three times more likely that Biden will win in a landslide than Trump winning at all.

Blurred fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 16, 2020

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Trump tweets out some support to a senator in a tight race

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1317081982166323200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
What’s the record EV losing score for a one term president? Bush was 168 in 1992, down from 426 in 1988. It can’t be that bad for The Large Wet Boy can it?!