Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Good luck. You guys will have a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bicievino posted:

The only people I tail unannounced are e-bike riders. My brain just goes straight in to keirin mode and I lock on to someone riding a derny bike.

if you do this the ebike rider reserves the right to slowly accelerate

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'd be offended if they didn't!

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

and every five minutes you have to come around.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tylertfb posted:

and every five minutes you have to come around.

Actually you're definitely not allowed to overtake until they pull off.
I'm sorry ebike dude, I am required to suck your wheel.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

just ordered a couple of bike stands :cool:

adulting :smug:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

One of my favorite bike YouTubers, Path Less Pedaled, came out with a fall riding clothing guide. Good stuff. https://youtu.be/dDRaSuYtNpk

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Hello bicycle thread! My husband and I rented some bikes over the weekend and had a blast, so we are looking to pick up our own in the near future. I have a couple of newbie questions I didn't see addressed in the OP.

I understand that if someone wants my bike off my car or the bicycle rack, they can get it, so it's basically an exercise of making the bikes slightly more difficult to take than anything. What's a good setup for locking our bikes to racks? And any suggestions on good car rack brands?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What’s your rack budget?

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

What’s your rack budget?

Just looking at prices online, I would say, around $300-400? We need some room in the budget for the 5 different locks we apparently need. :sweatdrop: Both of our vehicles are crossovers, if that affects recommendations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Skutter posted:

Just looking at prices online, I would say, around $300-400? We need some room in the budget for the 5 different locks we apparently need. :sweatdrop: Both of our vehicles are crossovers, if that affects recommendations.

I don't have personal experience with them but the sea sucker racks look pretty nifty

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Skutter posted:

The more you make it a habit of leaving your bikes on the rack, even if locked, the sooner they will be stolen. It is only a matter of time. So you need to do everything in your power to plan your trips to avoid this situation as much as possible. Coastal OC is awful. I NEVER leave a bike on a rack here. Hell, twice I have had people try to remove bikes from my hitch rack while I was stopped at a red light.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

The more you make it a habit of leaving your bikes on the rack, even if locked, the sooner they will be stolen. It is only a matter of time. So you need to do everything in your power to plan your trips to avoid this situation as much as possible. Coastal OC is awful. I NEVER leave a bike on a rack here. Hell, twice I have had people try to remove bikes from my hitch rack while I was stopped at a red light.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing online. We would only be doing trips from home > trail > home. No stopping somewhere for food and leaving our bikes unattended, or anything like that. We also don't want them stolen of the rack in traffic either. We're in central Florida, which doesn't sound as bad as California (from what I've read so far), but we still have a lot of meth here.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I don't have personal experience with them but the sea sucker racks look pretty nifty

Thanks! Will give those a look.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Depending on where you live you might not want to keep an empty rack on your car either as there's a good chance that will also get stolen. As far as rack suggestions go there's lots of good stuff out there. The two that I would recommend are either a Saris (Bones is the model I used, but you probably have to look up compatibility for your car models) as the inexpensive option or 1UP as the luxury option. Both of those will leave you with options to lock bikes to the rack itself. But to echo what was already said above, any time your bike is unattended is a chance for it to get stolen.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Skutter posted:

Hello bicycle thread! My husband and I rented some bikes over the weekend and had a blast, so we are looking to pick up our own in the near future. I have a couple of newbie questions I didn't see addressed in the OP.

I understand that if someone wants my bike off my car or the bicycle rack, they can get it, so it's basically an exercise of making the bikes slightly more difficult to take than anything. What's a good setup for locking our bikes to racks? And any suggestions on good car rack brands?

If your intended usage for a rack is just home-trail-home you should be fine with a nicer trunk rack like a Saris Bones or similar. If you have a hitch already it's worth getting a hitch rack over a trunk rack for several reasons - access to the hatchback while the bikes are loaded, stability, and avoiding putting the feet of the rack against the paint of the car.

If you're only leaving the bikes on the car to go home-trail-home then you should be fine with a cheap lock around the bikes on the back (for transport purposes). No one's going to cut a cable at a stoplight. I leave my bikes on the roof rack to go into stores and such but my rack has locks. I still don't leave them out of my sight for more than 10 minutes at a time, even with the locks.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
do any of you folks use the shimano blue spd-sl cleats with the small amount of float? i used to ride the zero float red cleats, but now that i'm older and fatter, i'm worried about hurting myself if i use those and don't have them dialed in exactly right. the yellow cleats that came with my pedals have too much float, the motion feels like i'm starting to clip out even though i'm not, and they make the heel of my shoe rub against the crank sometimes

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

do any of you folks use the shimano blue spd-sl cleats with the small amount of float? i used to ride the zero float red cleats, but now that i'm older and fatter, i'm worried about hurting myself if i use those and don't have them dialed in exactly right. the yellow cleats that came with my pedals have too much float, the motion feels like i'm starting to clip out even though i'm not, and they make the heel of my shoe rub against the crank sometimes

I did for a while. They were a good compromise for me, I started with Yellow but felt they were too floppy.

Are you actually having trouble with the zero float ones? If they weren’t causing you trouble, I wouldn’t change them.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I do and it’s just right for me for pretty much the reasons you describe. I’ve never ridden reds, but I started with yellows and it felt like my foot was sloshing around on the pedal and I sometimes had a hard time telling if I was clipped in. The blue ones give me enough movement to be comfortable without needing super precise adjustment, but are rigid enough that I still feel locked into the bike.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I did for a while. They were a good compromise for me, I started with Yellow but felt they were too floppy.

Are you actually having trouble with the zero float ones? If they weren’t causing you trouble, I wouldn’t change them.

when i say i used to ride the red ones, i mean 10 years ago, when i was in grad school :) i don't have a pair right now to compare

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I do and it’s just right for me for pretty much the reasons you describe. I’ve never ridden reds, but I started with yellows and it felt like my foot was sloshing around on the pedal and I sometimes had a hard time telling if I was clipped in. The blue ones give me enough movement to be comfortable without needing super precise adjustment, but are rigid enough that I still feel locked into the bike.

yeah this sounds like exactly what i'm looking for, thanks!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I run the Look equivalent of the zero float cleats and I much prefer them. IMO the online sentiment that you’re going to blow up your knees if your cleat is 1 micron off is very overblown.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

IMO the online sentiment that you’re going to blow up your knees if your cleat is 1 micron off is very overblown.

Otoh, if it doesn't feel right, you should readjust. At best, you're just gonna be annoyed by the off fit every time you ride.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Talk to me about oval chainrings. Are they legit or a gimmick that looks bad

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have the blue cleats because they came with my new pedals and am liking them. You do need to spend a little more time getting the angles figured out. I've stopped on rides and made slight adjustments. Other nice thing is they have little lines to help you get them in position and in the same spot on both shoes. I don't have both cleats in the same spot or at the same angle on both shoes but it's nice to start there at least.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 16, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Otoh, if it doesn't feel right, you should readjust. At best, you're just gonna be annoyed by the off fit every time you ride.

Totally agree. I’ve just seen a lot of people post that even if it feels right it could be slightly wrong and your knees are going to explode into wet paste.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Time posted:

I mean, if they were legit, wouldn’t every bike come with them?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Time posted:

It's personal preference. I liked it on my 1x setup where I didn't have to worry about setting up the front derailleur for varying radius.

The biggest issue is that it's tough to know if you'd prefer it because a) cost and b) limited configuration options. Some rings have slots/multiple holes so you can adjust +/- 10deg. And if you're using 5-bolt cranks, you can rotate the ring in 72deg increments.

But if you have 4-bolt or direct mount, the angles that make sense don't really come up.

And by make sense, I mean what oval rings typically advertise and what this paper I read before I bought my oval:
http://www.noncircularchainring.be/pdf/Biomechanical%20study%20chainrings%20-%20release%202.pdf

(note that the pedaling motion here is with the bike moving to the left, opposite to how bikes are usually posed, with the chainrings facing you)

As marketed, most ovals get the hardest ~70deg before your crank reaches horizontal, or 20deg past the top of the stroke.
The paper does some modeling to conclude that it's best if the hardest gearing is 70deg after your crank reaches horizontal, or 20deg before top of the stroke.

Outside of 20min of test riding, I've never done it the marketed way, only as recommended by the paper.
Past 80rpm or so, it was hard for me to notice the difference. But it's definitely noticeable and a bit smoother at low cadences.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Time posted:

I love mine. I have a 1x fat bike that I've gone back and forth on between oval and round. It's going to be oval permanently now. I have a 2x cx bike with an oval inner and round outer. My last bike is a cx single speed and I have an oval on that too. Chain tension is weird with it, but I haven't had any problems yet.

I've found that I really like having an oval ring for climbs, mud, nonsense, or whatever. I left my 2x outer ring as a round one because if I'm just spinning at a good speed I still prefer having that smoother pedal stroke. All of my oval rings are absolute black and are set up in the default position.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Eejit posted:

You both are delightful, thanks so much. At 5'11" I'll definitely be on a large frame. I'm going to call both shops and figure out pricing and go from there. Thank you both again.

I know this a few pages old, but you should look at the new stumpjumper evo. I was on the verge of ordering a ripmo until it came out.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Time posted:

I've got an oval ring on my MTB full time, and it's been very helpful in sudden steep sections where I need to apply more power quickly. I've never used an oval on a 2x or 3x system, though.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

nwin posted:

I don’t think this is a good way to evaluate things at all

kimbo305 posted:

It's personal preference. I liked it on my 1x setup where I didn't have to worry about setting up the front derailleur for varying radius.

The biggest issue is that it's tough to know if you'd prefer it because a) cost and b) limited configuration options. Some rings have slots/multiple holes so you can adjust +/- 10deg. And if you're using 5-bolt cranks, you can rotate the ring in 72deg increments.

But if you have 4-bolt or direct mount, the angles that make sense don't really come up.

And by make sense, I mean what oval rings typically advertise and what this paper I read before I bought my oval:
http://www.noncircularchainring.be/pdf/Biomechanical%20study%20chainrings%20-%20release%202.pdf

(note that the pedaling motion here is with the bike moving to the left, opposite to how bikes are usually posed, with the chainrings facing you)

As marketed, most ovals get the hardest ~70deg before your crank reaches horizontal, or 20deg past the top of the stroke.
The paper does some modeling to conclude that it's best if the hardest gearing is 70deg after your crank reaches horizontal, or 20deg before top of the stroke.

Outside of 20min of test riding, I've never done it the marketed way, only as recommended by the paper.
Past 80rpm or so, it was hard for me to notice the difference. But it's definitely noticeable and a bit smoother at low cadences.

This is good info, thanks 🙏

Crumps Brother posted:

I love mine. I have a 1x fat bike that I've gone back and forth on between oval and round. It's going to be oval permanently now. I have a 2x cx bike with an oval inner and round outer. My last bike is a cx single speed and I have an oval on that too. Chain tension is weird with it, but I haven't had any problems yet.

I've found that I really like having an oval ring for climbs, mud, nonsense, or whatever. I left my 2x outer ring as a round one because if I'm just spinning at a good speed I still prefer having that smoother pedal stroke. All of my oval rings are absolute black and are set up in the default position.

Thank you as well, I hadn’t thought about how it would work in a 2x setup

Overall it might not be worth the headache for me but this is all good info

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i want an all-city super professional

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

n8r posted:

I know this a few pages old, but you should look at the new stumpjumper evo. I was on the verge of ordering a ripmo until it came out.

I actually decided to go Hightower because I can get it in aluminum. For 4200 you get really excellent parts and I don't want to pay the premium for carbon. I appreciate the rec though, the evo looks dope

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

i want an all-city super professional

The flat mount design... it takes a toll

What’s the pin coming out of the bolt?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Eejit posted:

I actually decided to go Hightower because I can get it in aluminum. For 4200 you get really excellent parts and I don't want to pay the premium for carbon. I appreciate the rec though, the evo looks dope

Hell yeah. I think you’ll love it for Colorado riding

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kimbo305 posted:

The flat mount design... it takes a toll

What’s the pin coming out of the bolt?

That’s the bolt that should be going into the caliper if it were mounted for a 140mm disc, then a little cotter pin would go into the hole you see on the side of the caliper, to in theory keep the bolt from backing out. It’s not the right bolt, but I mean it’ll work.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

vikingstrike posted:

Hell yeah. I think you’ll love it for Colorado riding

Yeah, excited! When I can actually order one. In February.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i gotta say, this modern ultegra poo poo is really excellent. even the hardest shift it has to make, from the small ring to the big, you slam that lever and it shifts instantly, like it's an extension of your hand. who needs di2 when mechanical components are This Good

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nwin posted:

They don't shift as well as round rings, otherwise they'd be more prolific in the 2x world. They are very common aftermarket upgrades on the MTB side of things.

I ran them on my 2x road bike and they made my piston-like pedaling style feel more round. Your peak power occurs when you activate your glutes and quads and mash down on the pedal between the 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock position. It makes sense to orient the oval ring so that it is effectively larger during this power phase. Conversely, it also makes sense to reduce the effective size of the chainring at bottom dead-center or the deadspot where you smaller calf muscles and hamstrings are unweighting your legs, but not really doing much else. With round rings, you end up with micro-accelerations on every revolution and accelerations are bad for endurance / fatigue.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I remember having biopace rings on a bike as a kid. I couldn't tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Biopace are very circular but also not clocked intuitively.