Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

hobbesmaster posted:

There is no way jetpack guy is actually a guy in a jetpack. That of course leads to the question of what they're actually seeing. Wingsuit maybe? It doesn't quite fit though.

The dullest option is that someone attached a dummy to a drone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

FuturePastNow posted:

That's great, thanks.

I highly recommend reading this book. It's loving amazing. Stiles had a way with words.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rascar Capac posted:

Still got some impressive altitude.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rascar Capac posted:

TBH I feel like "dummy" is a pretty good description for anyone getting 30 yards away from a flying airliner, even were they an actual human and Nazi puncher

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Phy posted:

TBH I feel like "dummy" is a pretty good description for anyone getting 30 yards away from a flying airliner, even were they an actual human and Nazi puncher

How else is a jetpack owner gonna skitch their way to Cincinnati?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I'm absolutely willing to believe that some dumbass disruptor techbro would develop a jetpack and then not bother to tell the FAA about it, or about testing it, because ~disruption~

Didn't that already happen with attempts at Uber-a-plane, and it got torpedoed?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I'm absolutely willing to believe that some dumbass disruptor techbro would develop a jetpack and then not bother to tell the FAA about it, or about testing it, because ~disruption~

Didn't that already happen with attempts at Uber-a-plane, and it got torpedoed?

Physics are actually the biggest problem with that. If some tech bro has a "jet pack" that can get them a thousand+ feet in the air for a long period of time they've solved some impressive problems.

There have been many, many attempts at "uber for planes" that are constantly shot down by pesky FAA regulations about commercial aviation that exist to prevent you from killing yourself and your passengers.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’m willing to bet it’s some kind of a bad prank with a person shaped RC plane

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Or a balloon if its up there for a long time

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Or, like many “drone” sightings, actually loving nothing

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I hate hearing that particular turn of phrase to describe a landing but yeah. Putting all those Alaska STOL pilots to shame.

I sometimes wonder what it must be like to be a bird and have an intuitive, automatic sense of all these aerodynamic phenomena that we apply in aviation. Like I was down at the beach and saw a flock of pelicans skimming 6 inches above the water for hundreds of yards, and I realized that they were in ground effect, and they probably just feel that the flying gets easier when they're that close and were doing it intentionally. Or if you watch a bird hovering in place in a strong breeze for a while, you'll see them constantly making tiny pitching motions to adjust their airspeed as the wind gusts up and down, just like an airplane descending on final. When birds spread their wingtip feathers for landing and they splay out a bit, they behave exactly like leading-edge slats and it reduces their stalling speed, but the bird probably just feels it like they can "grab" the air better or something and they just do it.

I wish I was a bird.

I'm really glad to learn I'm not the only one who think this!

I think it started when I watched a documentary which included some high-speed camera footage of a duck landing on water. As you said, you could see it pitching up and down to adjust its 'glideslope' as it headed for whatever patch of water it had chosen to land on. As it got closer it 'pitched up' and spread its primary feathers (like the first stage of flap when the flap surface moves back but doesn't drop much, so it's increasing wing area rather than curvature/drag), then it straightened its legs (gear down and locked) and angled its wings (flaps down...). Then, just before it came into ground effect it deployed its alulae (leading edge slats out...), then it adjusted its course, flared and came down on its feet, planing across the water until it lost lift and dropped onto its belly, like a seaplane coming down off the step. Almost every one of the duck's actions and anatomical features had an aviation parallel, but it was all done instinctively and by millions of years of evolution and instinct.

Same when I watch gulls skimming across the front of large sea rollers - they must have an incredible combination of finely-honed sense of aerodynamic forces that are acting on them (and different bits of them) at any one moment and the ability to anticipate local air currents as the wave moves across their path (and they across the wave), which allows them to go for long distances without beating their wings just by riding the turbulence and wash of the moving waves.

I also wish I was a bird...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BalloonFish posted:

I also wish I was a bird...

2020 Genie: "Very well. *poof* You're an ostrich."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
tired: aeroplanes
wired: birds
inspired: jetpacks

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

i own every Bionicle posted:

Or, like many “drone” sightings, actually loving nothing

There’s been multiple independent sightings at this point, all as jetpacks, so something is up. But whatever it is, 6000 ft is pretty serious

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

dupersaurus posted:

There’s been multiple independent sightings at this point, all as jetpacks, so something is up. But whatever it is, 6000 ft is pretty serious

There were oodles of multiple independent sights of drones at Gatwick and it turned out to be nothing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's obviously swamp gas refracting off a weather balloon

e.pilot posted:

this is my theory too, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgACwfl6FBI

6000 feet is still some impressive altitude for something radio-controlled. it's hot in LA too

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Sagebrush posted:

6000 feet is still some impressive altitude for something radio-controlled. it's hot in LA too
Is it impressive? Here's a video of someone taking a FPV drone to over 10k.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
A lot has been written about birds' instinctual air sense, and it all makes sense of course.

But a few days ago I saw a neat little situation that showed the opposite, a very specific problem that probably doesn't happen often and the bird had no instinct to solve it quickly, where a bit of analytical reasoning would have helped it for sure.

It was a small hawk flying with a dead mouse in its beak, and it accidentally dropped it. It was a pretty stiff wind and the bird took a little bit of distance to get stopped (relative to the ground) in mid air, with the mouse behind it on the ground. It obviously wanted to get the mouse, but it kept flying (in one spot) unsure of what to do. Where all it had to do was slow down a bit and go backwards over the ground (the wind speed was absolutely high enough for that), or, less elegantly, fly in a circle. But it did neither of those, it flew forward for a bit (looking like it was gonna ditch the prey, I couldn't believe it) landed, and walked back over to pick it up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

some birds just like to walk ok

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vessbot posted:

A lot has been written about birds' instinctual air sense, and it all makes sense of course.

But a few days ago I saw a neat little situation that showed the opposite, a very specific problem that probably doesn't happen often and the bird had no instinct to solve it quickly, where a bit of analytical reasoning would have helped it for sure.

It was a small hawk flying with a dead mouse in its beak, and it accidentally dropped it. It was a pretty stiff wind and the bird took a little bit of distance to get stopped (relative to the ground) in mid air, with the mouse behind it on the ground. It obviously wanted to get the mouse, but it kept flying (in one spot) unsure of what to do. Where all it had to do was slow down a bit and go backwards over the ground (the wind speed was absolutely high enough for that), or, less elegantly, fly in a circle. But it did neither of those, it flew forward for a bit (looking like it was gonna ditch the prey, I couldn't believe it) landed, and walked back over to pick it up.

I find :effort: bird extremely relatable.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Birds have mastered flying submersibles:

Are smarter than AI:

And use advanced composite materials in their construction:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bats are better ærobats than birds. :can:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Bats are better ærobats than birds. :can:

maybe in a linguistic sense

there are no bats as fast as a falcon in a stoop or as maneuverable as a hummingbird or as practical as a duck

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Birds as a class are more versatile, sure, but bat wings allow feats that no descendant of dinosaurs could ever pull off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNNAxCuaYoc&t=75s

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Let's compromise on all this and change the thread to be about ornithopters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-qS7oN-3tA

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

That’s some insanity all right

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus :psypop:

Also, I think those fisher price video cameras that recorded on cassette tape in the 80s had better video quality than that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

Jesus :psypop:

Also, I think those fisher price video cameras that recorded on cassette tape in the 80s had better video quality than that.

I think it might BE one of those fisher price cameras.

Also, lol@Wasserboxer chase truck.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Also, lol@Wasserboxer chase truck.

Makes me wonder which one of them I'd least like to crash in.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Apparently nature hasn't figured out how to deal with gimbal lock avoidance on their inertial measurement unit design.

Man 1, God 0.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This really demonstrates how much more there is to bird wing movement than "flap up and down." I don't think we're going to get real ornithopters until we invent some kind of artificial muscle material or something that allows the wings to bend and twist in real-time.

Look at how birds change the shape of their wing constantly through the entire cycle. They actually produce lift on both the upstroke and the downstroke by varying camber and angle of attack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-5xPpBxihI&t=161s

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I think about the potential of nature evolving free-rotating bearings a lot, like jesus loving christ how terrifying would wolves on bicycles be

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They exist but only on a microscopic scale:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Murgos posted:

Apparently nature hasn't figured out how to deal with gimbal lock avoidance on their inertial measurement unit design.

Man 1, God 0.

When does the bird go into gimbal lock?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

They exist but only on a microscopic scale:

I thought you meant wolves on bicycles and was like wtf, really?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I almost clarified “I mean freely rotating bearings, not wolf biker gangs”—not because I thought anyone would be confused; but because it might be worth a chuckle.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

I think about the potential of nature evolving free-rotating bearings a lot, like jesus loving christ how terrifying would wolves on bicycles be

I recall reading a detailed discussion on this somewhere and basically its very difficult to get nutrients to the axle of such a thing so evolution went a different direction.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The wheel part would have to either be a totally separate living entity that would need its own way to gain nutrients, or be fed by the man animal somehow, or it would need to be bone or keratin or something. No idea how the first option would work, and the second option could only be that one size for the animal's entire life. And if it breaks, you're screwed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The animal could have chitin or keratin wheels and periodically molt and grow bigger ones, like a crustacean shedding its exoskeleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

The animal could have chitin or keratin wheels and periodically molt and grow bigger ones, like a crustacean shedding its exoskeleton.

Still seems kinda finicky compared to legs.