Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So wait a minute, let me get this straight.

I pay Crave cash money so I can watch Star Trek. Only it’s not available to stream the same day it airs. And I can watch it for free on CTV’s streaming app or website instead? Why am I paying for Crave again?

Thanks to this dumb system I’ve had to skip a major portion of this thread so I wouldn’t get spoilered. Real sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Martytoof posted:

So wait a minute, let me get this straight.

I pay Crave cash money so I can watch Star Trek. Only it’s not available to stream the same day it airs. And I can watch it for free on CTV’s streaming app or website instead? Why am I paying for Crave again?

Thanks to this dumb system I’ve had to skip a major portion of this thread so I wouldn’t get spoilered. Real sad.

I thought it was because of HBO content, that seemed to be their whole marketing push for years.

If it's not HBO, then I simply do not know the answer, but I imagine many people in canada's solution is piracy :ssh:

Not me though, I don't watch disco, so I don't pirate it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I liked basically everything except the body count in that fight and how okay Burnham was with it. I feel like she, an idealist from a brighter time, should have asked Booker “do these have a stun setting”. Then Booker could have said “how old-fashioned” and vaporized a dude and we’d have the same fight. Maybe it was in but got cut for pacing reasons? I don’t know.

They did a really good job of setting up plot beats. Book was established as having life-related powers when he did the trick with the plant so it didn’t feel like an asspull when he did it to the worm. Burnham spent a good thirty seconds of screen time at the start of the episode going over her name and rank so when she identified herself to Sahil it wasn’t jarring that she just spouted her serial number off the top of her head. This is a lot more care than I remember seeing in S1 and S2 so I’m hopeful that script quality will be higher overall.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Turns out the woman they've got playing Michael has great comedic timing and is a wonderful overacting scene-chewer, so they spent two years making her character the most insanely boring being in all the universe by design. Good job, well played.

I liked it. It's dumb fun pulpy sci fi junk food, but I'm down for that if that's what Disco is.

Time will tell, mind. Disco is historically the 'and then an executive producer gave notes'' show, leading to a tonally and structurally inconsistent mess. Maybe someone somewhere looked at S2, looked at the first few episodes, and went 'how about that, but, a show'. Maybe the 186 executive producers attention is all drawn in different directions now Disco isn't the only Trek show so an actual cohesive vision can emerge. We'll see.

I remember raving about Picard after Ep 1 though, and look how that turned out. But, yeah. That was a good hour of fun television.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Why am I paying for Crave again?

Letterkenny?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see why the serial number was relevant anyway

I guess, remember those trials in TOS? is about it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Calling it now: "The Burn" is, as noted, a corruption of "Burnham", because she Red Angel's back in time with Discovery and somehow Oedipuses the gently caress out of the Dilithium. Season 4 will be her trying to stop herself loving it all up and avoid a paradox at the same time.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The mega man blasters were dumb but honestly I was more bothered by the sheer body count they racked up in that scene. It was like a dozen people vaporized without a second thought.

Also lol at Burnham's disintegration-proof plot armor.
Well if they're vaporised then the body count is "zero" :v:

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 16, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know what, gently caress it, I’ve suddenly decided I don’t care if this show gets spoilered if I have to wait an extra day. God knows I’m going to complain about it anyway so I may as well come in with eyes wide open :haw:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Arquinsiel posted:

Calling it now: "The Burn" is, as noted, a corruption of "Burnham", because she Red Angel's back in time with Discovery and somehow Oedipuses the gently caress out of the Dilithium. Season 4 will be her trying to stop herself loving it all up and avoid a paradox at the same time.
Well if they're vaporised then the body count is "zero" :sav:

mmmm, the perfect ending to the disco saga: burnham realizing the only fair thing to do to prevent the various calamities in the show from happening is to erase herself and everything involved with this show from history, thus saving the timeline and also coincidentally making the show not canon 👀

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://imgur.com/gallery/bTw1V12

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I was also confused by the "I've got two ships in the area" or whatever he said. Are they stranded out there or something? Unless I'm missing something, they didn't seem to think a lot of these things through and have a bunch of stuff in minor dialog that has big implications.

You have to squint a bit or have a big display, but you can actually see what his sensor scans say

UNIDENTIFIED STARSHIP
Intermittent long range sensor contact
No response to hail: Possible transmission error
Indeterminate warp signature: Possible non-Federation
Last recorded speed: Warp 8

They really could be anything, whether they're holdouts like Sahil, old salvaged ships, etc.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

I'm sure it'll all be worth it when they introduce the secret evil force that deliberately sabotaged all the dilithium to destroy the Federation, we still like stock video game antagonists in these shows right?

this season is actually the plot from Goldfinger, with the Andorians controlling the trade now

LinkesAuge posted:

Burnham continues to be the weakest part of the show. She is a side character actress who is forced into being the main protagonist. Nothing against Sonequa Martin-Green but I just don't see enough talent/charisma from her to carry such a role (she was already at best average in TWD). The writing certainly doesn't help her but even the goofy scenes in the latest episode were just off, she simply can't find a proper balance between her overacting and expressionless state.
It goes without saying that this continued focus on her is also a bad sign for things to come and that they will repeat the mistakes of the last two seasons.

Yeah I agree with this but just remain optimistic that this being the pilot there was no way around it

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Space Flight is obviously still possible, but it's likely so hard to find dilithium that it's not at all worth it having a dedicated fleet out and about, those Federation ships are probably on very specific duties. The season preview shows 31st century Starfleet crew coming on board the Discovery and making fun of it for being old, it's clear Starfleet is still a thing and they do stuff, just nowhere near the level that they used to.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also I’m marking down that it is in fact 3188 instead of 20XX when I can finally get a Mega Buster for my arm.

Hed fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 16, 2020

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Brainstorming a bit but:

The season's themes seem to be environmental catastrophe and collapse of a centralized government. The dilithium disaster is coded as a mystery, but could easily track to it's original reference as fossil fuel and a return to it's scarcity, compounded by real world fossil fuels causing climate change, here they just got used too much and all blew up or something. Along with that environmental theme, Book is some sort of green jedi who can grow healing plants and talk to animals, he's even saving endangered species. The collapse of the Federation is probably best tracked through the movie The Postman (this also tracks with the USPS being dismantled by our dystopian leadership), with disaster compounded with other things causing collapse of the centralized government and cities walling themselves off until a guy shows up in the uniform of the past with a reminder of what was lost, and a way to communicate. This inspires the young and give nostalgia to the old who remember the old ways. With all starships exploded, millions/billions dead, and little to no way to reach other planets, people are going to freak out no matter how utopian it is. Eventually bad dudes pop up to take advantage of the situation and there isn't anyone to smack them down, and things fall apart. Of course, I could easily be reading too much into this, and it could all be Michael The Burn-ham's fault again.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Seemlar posted:

You have to squint a bit or have a big display, but you can actually see what his sensor scans say

UNIDENTIFIED STARSHIP
Intermittent long range sensor contact
No response to hail: Possible transmission error
Indeterminate warp signature: Possible non-Federation
Last recorded speed: Warp 8

They really could be anything, whether they're holdouts like Sahil, old salvaged ships, etc.

Wait so was he lying then?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

blastron posted:

I liked basically everything except the body count in that fight and how okay Burnham was with it. I feel like she, an idealist from a brighter time, should have asked Booker “do these have a stun setting”. Then Booker could have said “how old-fashioned” and vaporized a dude and we’d have the same fight. Maybe it was in but got cut for pacing reasons? I don’t know.

They did a really good job of setting up plot beats. Book was established as having life-related powers when he did the trick with the plant so it didn’t feel like an asspull when he did it to the worm. Burnham spent a good thirty seconds of screen time at the start of the episode going over her name and rank so when she identified herself to Sahil it wasn’t jarring that she just spouted her serial number off the top of her head. This is a lot more care than I remember seeing in S1 and S2 so I’m hopeful that script quality will be higher overall.

Michael should have found a TNG style phaser and spent the whole fight trying to figure out how it works.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
3188 Section 31 Heil Harris

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

pik_d posted:

Wait so was he lying then?

...no?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Maybe he has no reason to think this unidentified ship is her Federation ship, but that's the angle I was looking at it from.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I guess CBS likes the Burn https://trekmovie.com/2020/10/16/breaking-star-trek-discovery-renewed-for-season-4-production-starts-in-november/

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The mega man blasters were dumb but honestly, I was more bothered by the sheer body count they racked up in that scene. It was like a dozen people vaporized without a second thought.

True, this was more 'This is the way' than 'Live long and prosper'. :v:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Of course they vaporised the bad guys, they had 6 extras and needed to be able to keep reusing them. I am also very glad that Burnham's actor got to actually show some range. I realised watching this episode that I really really like the inverse-Battlestar Galactica 'one ship trying to restore the world' concept and I think that after a couple of decades of the world feeling like it's getting worse we are ready for that more optimistic kind of story.

There is going to be a very problematic tonal clash between the stated objective of the story being the restoration of hope and pacifism in the form of the Federation, and the fact that Discovery has one kind of story which is Violence.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think the range critiques for Burnham are all rightly directing problems, not acting ones

They certainly conveyed... something... with emotions after the crash, but I don't think they did the best job explaining it. I think a lot of it has to do with them trying to make a very emotional character that was also raised by Vulcans

Also they should have had her tell the suit to activate inertial dampeners so she would just alight harmlessly rather than go for shields and then have no crater even though she came in at mach3

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I think the range critiques for Burnham are all rightly directing problems, not acting ones

They certainly conveyed... something... with emotions after the crash, but I don't think they did the best job explaining it.

I think it’s because people forgot (and the recap kinda forgot to mention) that she went through the wormhole to keep Control from wiping out literally all organic life, so finding out that her mission had been a success is obviously going to be a big loving deal for her. Especially knowing she can never go back and that all her friends and crewmates were also in peril with her. So she has that big moment of joy before pulling the Vulcan mask back on and figuring out where the gently caress she is and what she’s going to do next.

I get that the character wears her emotions on her sleeve to an almost silly extent, but it tracks with someone who grew up actively repressing them and sorta resenting the society that ostracized her because she’s human but still expected her to follow their strict philosophies. So, I get what Martin-Green is usually going for, even if the directing has a tendency to muddy it a bit.

Not that you’ve done this, but the posts others have made constantly criticizing her emotional outbursts and keeping “Burnham cry counts” are kinda gross and lovely since her emotions are a huge part of the character and none of the other actors in the cast seem to draw the same criticisms, even though the show as a whole leans on emotional moments far more than past series.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I agree with what you're saying

I think the cry counts are also as much about how the show has characters, and Burnham especially, wax philosophical and get very emotional about starfleet and the federation and values and then do warcrimes and vaporize people

It's definitely a jarring tonal whiplash at times

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I agree with what you're saying

I think the cry counts are also as much about how the show has characters, and Burnham especially, wax philosophical and get very emotional about starfleet and the federation and values and then do warcrimes and vaporize people

It's definitely a jarring tonal whiplash at times

Season 2 Discovery onwards is "What if Doctor Who had a gun?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Have the Fandom Menace'ers thrown themselves out the nearest window yet? I thought Discovery was 10000% cancelled for sure this time would never ever see a fourth season?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Have the Fandom Menace'ers thrown themselves out the nearest window yet? I thought Discovery was 10000% cancelled for sure this time would never ever see a fourth season?

any day now bud, any day.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

piratepilates posted:

any day now bud, any day.

REVEALED: The Burn is CBSs codename for deleting Discovery from all platforms and destroying the hard drives it’s stored on!! MEGA CANCELLED

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think it’s because people forgot (and the recap kinda forgot to mention) that she went through the wormhole to keep Control from wiping out literally all organic life, so finding out that her mission had been a success is obviously going to be a big loving deal for her. Especially knowing she can never go back and that all her friends and crewmates were also in peril with her. So she has that big moment of joy before pulling the Vulcan mask back on and figuring out where the gently caress she is and what she’s going to do next.

I get that the character wears her emotions on her sleeve to an almost silly extent, but it tracks with someone who grew up actively repressing them and sorta resenting the society that ostracized her because she’s human but still expected her to follow their strict philosophies. So, I get what Martin-Green is usually going for, even if the directing has a tendency to muddy it a bit.

Not that you’ve done this, but the posts others have made constantly criticizing her emotional outbursts and keeping “Burnham cry counts” are kinda gross and lovely since her emotions are a huge part of the character and none of the other actors in the cast seem to draw the same criticisms, even though the show as a whole leans on emotional moments far more than past series.

I haven't done a cry count but what I read them as is less "Burnham is too emotional" and more "the show focuses far too much on Burnham specifically," which is a complaint that's also been outright stated by other users. Not to mention it seems like a lot of the rest of the cast seems to take a sideline, emotional expression-wise. Like, with Airiam, they put some effort into showing her emotional state, but mostly what I remember from that scene is Burnham's reactions, not Airiam's.

Not defending the cry count thing, you make a valid point, just commenting.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't understand why anyone would think this show would get canceled. It seems like everyone that hates it still streams it each week. If there isn't a decrease in viewers why would it be canceled?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I don't understand why anyone would think this show would get canceled. It seems like everyone that hates it still streams it each week. If there isn't a decrease in viewers why would it be canceled?

Oh that's the thing, the people who tell folks that it's going to be cancelled, just wait and see, actually want it continue for a long as possible so they can keep grifting off the roiling angry nerds who tune in to listen to them tell them that it's totally going to be cancelled this time, just wait and see, in the meantime keep giving me all your all your energy, and more importantly your money, so that I can make your ardent hatedream a reality. If the show really is cancelled, if the dog catches the car, then their revenue stream dries up because they have no further draw to reel in the roiling nerds with. They won, it's over, go home and move on with your life.

tl;dr: No one actually thinks the show will ever get cancelled on anything but its own terms, but it's a good business model to pander to the uninformed rubes who think it WILL get cancelled if they just get mad enough at it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It's similar to the thousands of Brie Larson videos that showed up because youtube's nazi algorithm kept recommending them and they got mega views so all the video chuds kept churning them out, even admitting that was the sole reason they did so in some of the videos. I got a million chud trek recommendations just from watching a few Trekyards episodes, it's insane

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That was as good an episode as Discovery has done, though afflicted by incoherence, labored dialogue, and poor sense of scale which are all pretty much series hallmarks at this point.

I didn’t have a problem with Burnham shooting people to death. it’s a running firefight against shady commercial enforcement thugs who have already imprisoned and drugged her. Starfleet packs heat for a reason. It’s not like she just rocked up and cavalierly shot a guy for the hell of it. Yeah she could have set for stun or whatever, but this is Burnham we’re talking about, not Spock. The formative moment of her character on this show is that she killed a guy in the heat of the moment when she could have saved everyone a lot of trouble by just not doing that.

Book is okay in this episode. Not too interesting but fairly pleasant. He could easily get hokey and in fact, kind of already is. I can just imagine the writers room conversation, “what if we made the big black guy speak spells in a foreign language to show he is in tune with nature”. But mostly the actor had a light enough touch that he was a positive presence in the show. I genuinely laughed at his lack of interest in Michael’s self-promotion. I also genuinely roll my eyes at his impending romance with her.

I liked Sahil. There’s something very evocative about his situation, waiting alone for something to happen in a spotless room in a gigantic abandoned ruin in space.

Next week I assume all the other terrible characters on this show will arrive. Hopefully some of them will get better this season but I don’t have high hopes on that front.

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 17, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like David Ajala, though the only thing I've seen him in before this was Nightflyers, and that show was bizarre and bad.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I may have missed it even on a second watch, but was there any back story to the attendant and how he got there? Like he just sat there for how long looking for ships to do what?

I wonder if hes actually in contact with the remnants of the Federation/Starfleet Proper. Or is he and a few others operating on the belief that the Fed still exists in some manner and are bureaucrats working in a dead system. "Yes we can process your asylum claim but we have a backlog of 120 years"

\/\/\/\/ This just raises more questions (Im rewatching the scene), was his family isolated in that ruined station when the reactor blew, or was his grandpa transported there post disaster? He never thought to trade his nano-bed and desk for a ticket off that wreck?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 16, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gaj posted:

I may have missed it even on a second watch, but was there any back story to the attendant and how he got there? Like he just sat there for how long looking for ships to do what?

His dad and grandad both did it, and we must assume has enough gay space communism reserves to let him sit around all day doing it too

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Brainstorming a bit but:

The season's themes seem to be environmental catastrophe and collapse of a centralized government. The dilithium disaster is coded as a mystery, but could easily track to it's original reference as fossil fuel and a return to it's scarcity, compounded by real world fossil fuels causing climate change, here they just got used too much and all blew up or something. Along with that environmental theme, Book is some sort of green jedi who can grow healing plants and talk to animals, he's even saving endangered species. The collapse of the Federation is probably best tracked through the movie The Postman (this also tracks with the USPS being dismantled by our dystopian leadership), with disaster compounded with other things causing collapse of the centralized government and cities walling themselves off until a guy shows up in the uniform of the past with a reminder of what was lost, and a way to communicate. This inspires the young and give nostalgia to the old who remember the old ways. With all starships exploded, millions/billions dead, and little to no way to reach other planets, people are going to freak out no matter how utopian it is. Eventually bad dudes pop up to take advantage of the situation and there isn't anyone to smack them down, and things fall apart. Of course, I could easily be reading too much into this, and it could all be Michael The Burn-ham's fault again.

This sounds like a cross between Postman and God Emperor Dune/WH40K's The Age of Strife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh that's the thing, the people who tell folks that it's going to be cancelled, just wait and see, actually want it continue for a long as possible so they can keep grifting off the roiling angry nerds who tune in to listen to them tell them that it's totally going to be cancelled this time, just wait and see, in the meantime keep giving me all your all your energy, and more importantly your money, so that I can make your ardent hatedream a reality. If the show really is cancelled, if the dog catches the car, then their revenue stream dries up because they have no further draw to reel in the roiling nerds with. They won, it's over, go home and move on with your life.

tl;dr: No one actually thinks the show will ever get cancelled on anything but its own terms, but it's a good business model to pander to the uninformed rubes who think it WILL get cancelled if they just get mad enough at it.

This is like saying the liberal media wants trump to win because they won't have anything new to report on if he doesn't. They're being honest about what they want, it's just that when they get that, they can always find something new to be outraged about.