Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
What a good loving chapter, one piece is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Reading Kaido's utter bafflement at how the Red Scabbards are actually managing to hurt him is so, so satisfying.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

People are so mad that the Scabbards are actually managing to hurt Kaido. I can't imagine what it's like being so broke-brained that you can't enjoy one of the most emotional moments in the series because it messes up your list of the top ten strongest characters in One Piece.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

:tvtropes:"This story about having the will to do the impossible is going downhill because these characters are doing something everyone says is impossible" :tvtropes:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the people in the world are not well...

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I wonder if Kaido and Black Maria are part of the same species of horned giants

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

ThingOne posted:

People are so mad that the Scabbards are actually managing to hurt Kaido. I can't imagine what it's like being so broke-brained that you can't enjoy one of the most emotional moments in the series because it messes up your list of the top ten strongest characters in One Piece.

it doesn't even make sense bc the scabbards are all explicitly supposed to be strong as hell with some around the level of the emperor commanders and they're fighting 9v1 and loving furious and we all know there's going to be a moment where kaido goes "i acknowledge you" or some poo poo and beasts out on them still to come but for now i feel the same catharsis they do with every hit

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I just keep rereading this chapter, it's so loving good man.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
The scabbards aren't likely to win anyway, but them being able to wound the impossible by sheer force of will and willingness to sacrifice everything is very satisfying.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'm still hoping that at some point Momo transforms into a Kaido sized dragon in this fight. Willpower and what have ya.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

tbp posted:

it doesn't even make sense bc the scabbards are all explicitly supposed to be strong as hell with some around the level of the emperor commanders and they're fighting 9v1 and loving furious and we all know there's going to be a moment where kaido goes "i acknowledge you" or some poo poo and beasts out on them still to come but for now i feel the same catharsis they do with every hit

Yeah after the "I acknowledge you" moment he's going to shift to his in between form, which we notably have not yet seen and is the strongest form a typical Zoan user can take. Or it was until awakening, at least. Could be that instead.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tbp posted:

I was just remarking about this to a few of my friends but it finally hit me this chapter watching Izo make some attacks that he is on the level of and possibly not eve the strongest of the Scabbards and we know that most of the fighting Straw Hats are more powerful than their leader. Like we obviously all knew that they had leveled up significantly over the time skip and Luffy beat Doflamingo but remembering how Luffy was totally outclassed in the Summit War and now someone who was a player in that arc is like, sidekick status to the Straw Hats is a crazy feeling

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I feel like the Venn diagram of people complaining about the scabbards injuring Kaido and the people who didn't think Oden was amazing is a circle.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I love the scabbards in this, so loving sick.

Does anyone think Marco was referencing Rox to Mom? When she talks about dead men not giving commands when she's talking to Marco about WB. He's like yeah you should now after all when you're a remnant of the Rox?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

EmmyOk posted:

Does anyone think Marco was referencing Rox to Mom? When she talks about dead men not giving commands when she's talking to Marco about WB. He's like yeah you should now after all when you're a remnant of the Rox?

That's what I thought at first, but the more times I read that conversation the less I'm certain of what exactly is being said - i.e. whether it's a "you should know being a crew's remnant yourself" or if it's really just him stressing "Whitebeard is dead and we now do as we please"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I love the scabbards in this, so loving sick.

that isn't the impression i got

i just read it as "i'm here following luffy of my own volition, not because whitebeard said to before he died"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I think that’s hat he means but I think he’s implying “and you of all people should get that” along with it

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

oh yeah im saying i only got the text and didn't feel ther ewas any subtext to that scene particularly. we'll probs get it more cleared up soon though, i imagine the kaido flashback is the rox flashback

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

no no, you can't have someone other than luffy or zoro hurt kaido!

haha Oden two-sword style go brrrr

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Big Mom's reaction makes me think Rox tried to pull something similar to Roger before he died but couldn't because his crew wasn't actually loyal to him. It also makes me think them joining his crew was less than voluntary.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Super Rad posted:

I feel like the Venn diagram of people complaining about the scabbards injuring Kaido and the people who didn't think Oden was amazing is a circle.

Nah, Odin was fine but not amazing. This chapter is amazing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oden's characterization/arc suffers somewhat because he's some long dead guy who none of the crew get to meet in real time, but he is also built up to be this literal legend who travelled with Roger and this can be a lot to live up to. This is somewhat mitigated by getting to know several of the scabbards and seeing how much they love him and want to carry on his work.

I still thought the flashback was excellent and about as good as Oda could do given the circumstances, tho I get why not everyone loves him

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

tbp posted:

oh yeah im saying i only got the text and didn't feel ther ewas any subtext to that scene particularly. we'll probs get it more cleared up soon though, i imagine the kaido flashback is the rox flashback

That’s fair for sure! Totally agree on the text. This is what has me thinking of the subtext along with Marcos initial “are you sure you’re not mistaking on the meaning of remnants”

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I didn't love Oden anywhere close to how much I loved norlands flashback and the golden bell

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I liked seeing Roger and Whitebeard way more than Oden himself.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
That panel of the scabbards preparing to charge and then dodging the lightning howls is just honestly one of the best panels Oda has ever drawn. It is just so cool

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

I didn't love Oden anywhere close to how much I loved norlands flashback and the golden bell

This and Fisher Tiger. Oden suffers not from valor but from comparison.

God, Luffy destroying Fishman Island is going to have a payout like the golden bell, isn't it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i am an absolute sucker for "insanely strong badass characters who debase themselves for other" characters so ofc i love oden. him being a wild man who took in the gutter characters without a second thought reminds me a lot of people i look up to irl, his thirst for adventure was endearing, he had a full character arc where he learned he must do what is right for wano (though he was naive), and then he had the coolest sacrifice in the story to me. i love the guy

then panels like the four in two sword style make him even BETTER to me

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The speed translation's "Murder Bullets" was an unintentionally great name

Waiting for new chapters is starting to get painful, everything's about to hit peak and I can't wait

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

RealFoxy posted:

Waiting for new chapters is starting to get painful, everything's about to hit peak and I can't wait
Chapter 1000 seems so close yet so painfully far away. It's hard I tell ya.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

tbp posted:

Yeah. I mean we know Dog and Cat can stalemate one of his Commanders without their moon power up, after all. It's not weird that a giant group of Supernova level fighters can fight Kaido.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

RealFoxy posted:

The speed translation's "Murder Bullets" was an unintentionally great name

:yeah: No joke rereading the Official translation and seeing that it's "Slicing Rounds" made me mentally reevaluate how much damage it did to Kaido.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Guns don't murder people, bullets do.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I liked Oden a tonne generally and him holding his vassals up in the pot just put him way over for me, hell yeah moment.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Libra posted:

Guns don't murder people, bullets do.

I don’t think I really care for this Lasoo erasure tbh.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I liked Oden for all the reasons all his compatriots did, but at the same time it did feel a little exhausting how much the series seemed to bend over backwards to make him the best and raddest dude ever

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Strelok604 posted:

I liked Oden for all the reasons all his compatriots did, but at the same time it did feel a little exhausting how much the series seemed to bend over backwards to make him the best and raddest dude ever

I view it as the foundation needed for why all these people would fight so hard 20 years after his death. It runs parallel to Luffy and his innate ability to inspire those around him.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Havoc904 posted:

I view it as the foundation needed for why all these people would fight so hard 20 years after his death. It runs parallel to Luffy and his innate ability to inspire those around him.

yeah it's just hte price to pay of having to cram that all into a a few chapters, relatively speaking. As opposed to luffy having the whole series

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

How long was the Noland flashback? That was much more effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Havoc904 posted:

Personally, I appreciate it on this level most of all. I get why it means a lot to these characters, and I feel a lot for how much it means to them when they're doing this stuff now.

But Oden's flashback itself still didn't land for me. I was not inspired by Oden.

Maybe the flashback wasn't long enough, because I get Luffy and feel inspired alongside the crew when he's being inspiring, but didn't get that vibe at all from Oden. I just got the picture that other characters feel that way about him.

The Norland and Fisher Tiger flashbacks took characters I didn't know anything about and made me feel a heck of a lot more about them than Oden's flashback did. Which is a shame, and I wish I felt more about Oden for the sake of getting more out of this arc. It's not too bad though because I can totally respect that his retainers had a very strong personal bond with him, and I can appreciate the story based on acceping their feelings.