Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I don't recall finding that particularly funny

If you can't find humor in a team starting the downward slide toward destroying its public image in defense of a guy who had just blown the game and had to be bailed out, I dunno man :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bawfuls posted:

Sab is an Astros fan?

Fan loving Tastic

what sucks to watch, Sab0921? Your franchise player's legacy evaporate because the opposition was loving CHEATING in game 5 of the World Series you smug prick. Eat my entire rear end.

MLB C/V Playoffs: Eat my entire rear end.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Intruder posted:

Although it would be funny, I have a suspicion the Dodgers won't be signing a RF

Springer largely plays CF - an OF of Betts, Bellinger, and Springer seems ok.

Only 2 of the 3 confirmed horrible horrendous piece of poo poo human beings who don't respect the game.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 16, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you're not melting down on a nightly basis and making hundreds of "grand strand incoming" posts, what are you even doing here?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Popping in to say that Randy Arozarena has a career (with postseason) 9.714 AB/HR

:classiclol:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Literally drive-by shitposting, only in this case it’s explicitly at the expense of another poster’s personal investment in a team.

If you’re gonna talk poo poo in here you gotta put the hours in, cowards.

I have a very simple rule about sports fandom. If I'm gonna wear the hat after a win I gotta wear the hat after a loss.

I'm a Jets fan who has had a lot of sad conversations because of my hat.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

STAC Goat posted:

I have a very simple rule about sports fandom. If I'm gonna wear the hat after a win I gotta wear the hat after a loss.

I'm a Jets fan who has had a lot of sad conversations because of my hat.

When I was younger I always made sure I had "two teams" to root for, one in the other conference/league (for baseball and football). I picked the Mariners and the Jets.

:v:

Late 90's early 2000's Mariners were cool as hell though. Curtis Martin and Chad Pennington also ruled. These secondary team choices have not aged well.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

My key to fandom is liking one team and being an obnoxious, pessimistic, whiny pain in the rear end about them, thanks for asking.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/AROD/status/1317118324749209601

I think J Lo is a good influence on Arod because I would've bet a lot that he was a republican.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I like two teams equally but my fanhoods developed in the late 80s contemporaneously when I started coach pitch and became obsessed with everything baseball.

The A's were in the zeitgeist with the bash brothers and that was the name of my first baseball team so I bit hard on them, then Atlanta was always on TV in the south and my dad is a huge fan so we developed that fanhood together. Hugging my dad when Sid Bream scored on the Francisco Cabrera hit in the 92 NLCS is one of my best childhood memories.

I've been watching both as much as I can for more than 30 years so I'm cool having two teams. I've got merch from both and love them both equally.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 16, 2020

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Warming to the idea of them just running Wright out there again today, let him have the first turn through the lineup. Gives him a chance to get his head right; if he gets shelled again, well, you wouldn't want him pitching in a World Series anyway.

elentar fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 16, 2020

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

When I was younger I always made sure I had "two teams" to root for, one in the other conference/league (for baseball and football). I picked the Mariners and the Jets.

:v:

Late 90's early 2000's Mariners were cool as hell though. Curtis Martin and Chad Pennington also ruled. These secondary team choices have not aged well.

I used to have an AL rooting interest when the Astros were in the NL and it was the White Sox (old family rooting interest) but then we got destroyed by them in our first ever World Series trip. And then we moved to the AL anyway. I have no other rooting interest now, but the Padres are compelling if I want an NL rooting interest.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In my opinion Snit should toss Wright back out there in game 5, just to see what happens

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

I used to have an AL rooting interest when the Astros were in the NL and it was the White Sox (old family rooting interest) but then we got destroyed by them in our first ever World Series trip. And then we moved to the AL anyway. I have no other rooting interest now, but the Padres are compelling if I want an NL rooting interest.

I can't bring myself to cheer for the Padres because Kevin Brown single handedly derailed the Astros best chance to that point of winning a WS

Same reason I can't ever like the Braves, they just knocked the Astros out every year in the 90s. gently caress Walt Weiss

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

I can't bring myself to cheer for the Padres because Kevin Brown single handedly derailed the Astros best chance to that point of winning a WS

Same reason I can't ever like the Braves, they just knocked the Astros out every year in the 90s. gently caress Walt Weiss

yeah I thought about that, but there really are so many disqualified NL teams and Kevin Brown was just really good so "Ya gotta hand it to him" and that was over 20 years ago

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1317121273126944768

more people need to slow roll stealing dingers

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MrMojok posted:

What happened to Pancakes?

I've been curious about this, too, but I figure he'll come back when there's a real season (or less of a pandemic (or both.))

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

This is wonderful and I want to see runners getting doubled off bases with it. 3 run homer turned into a triple play, please.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think he stopped posting around the time the Lowtax poo poo came out, so maybe he’ll return now that Jeffrey has taken over.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rob Manfred is FURIOUS

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

This is wonderful and I want to see runners getting doubled off bases with it. 3 run homer turned into a triple play, please.

That would actually be awesome so of course Manfred would create a rule the next day to prevent it from happening again

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

I just went back and checked the game logs. Since this piece was published, Kershaw has exited postseason games with 8 total runners on (2 on four different times) and all 8 of them were allowed to score. Thus, over his career, the Dodgers bullpen has allowed 80% of inherrited Kershaw postseason runners to score.

The last time the Dodgers bullpen stranded a Kershaw runner in October was the 2015 NLDS, when they allowed 2 of 3 to score. The last time they didn't allow any of his runners to score was the 2009 NLCS vs PHI, where he left with 1 on.

I hosed this up btw cause the asterisks from the FG piece screwed up my summation. It's "only" 70%

For additional context, here is the Dodgers bullpen overall inherited runners score rate in recent years (regular season)
2020: 29%
2019: 38%
2018: 24%
2017: 25%
2016: 28%
2015: 32%
2014: 24%
2013: 24%

edit: ATF caught another wrinkle that the FG article missed, real number goes back up to 74%

https://twitter.com/atf13atf/status/1317149483625553928

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 16, 2020

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Intruder posted:

the Braves knocked out the Astros three times ('97, '99, '01) but the Astros won back-to-back revenge series in '04 and '05 culminating in that 18th-inning grand slam that was the last the Braves would sniff of the postseason for 5 years, I think that debt is paid

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If (and this is the largest 'if' the human mind can comprehend) the Astros make the World Series, I'd rather play the Braves than the Dodgers. Lower risk of :siren: storylines :siren: and we get to watch the Chris Burke HR again and again.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

elentar posted:

the Braves knocked out the Astros three times ('97, '99, '01) but the Astros won back-to-back revenge series in '04 and '05 culminating in that 18th-inning grand slam that was the last the Braves would sniff of the postseason for 5 years, I think that debt is paid

Nope. Never the Braves not even once. I was at that game and the catharsis was real but still not enough.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Can you imagine?

Some of the divas of the game would poop their pants in rage.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Every single baseball game is meaningful because every game of baseball is a perfect and wonderful thing, including and especially when its your favorite team being a bunch of incompetent fuckups.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/purpledrank0/status/1317140601293336577

:hmmyes:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

It's called over coming adversity

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I get all but the last part, what?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

I get all but the last part, what?
basically every national broadcast of the Astros this year has discussed the "adversity" they've faced this year and how it's great to see them overcome it

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

When you let lovely sub-.500 teams into the playoffs they're kind of underdogs by default.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I missed all the sad posting last night but

The Dodgers are just the Twins with a massive payroll change my mind

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I'm glad to see you fly through the stages of grief before the series is over because while it's funny to watch the Dodgers eat poo poo year after year, I'm starting to feel for ya bud. Just get one and get the monkey off your back.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spoeank posted:

Just get one and get the monkey off your back.

I no longer need anything in life, can confirm

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Poque posted:

I no longer need anything in life, can confirm

Same, even with the sign stealing.

Also - is there some corner of the internet or media outlet that is nice to the Astros somewhere that I'm missing?

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 16, 2020

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

IcePhoenix posted:

I missed all the sad posting last night but

The Dodgers are just the Twins with a massive payroll change my mind

The Dodgers have won postseason games and even postseason series in the past 15 years.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Squall posted:

The Dodgers have won postseason games and even postseason series in the past 15 years.

Pennants, even

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Minter starting game 5 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Joey Freshwater posted:

Minter starting game 5 lol

Legitimately excited to see the Braves win the pennant on the back of A.J. "TBD" Minter's start.