Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wireless charging is nice I guess, but I often find myself using the phone even while it's charging (e.g., before bedtime or on an armchair), so I think you'd still rely on a cable for those occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rick posted:

This AT&T trade in thing is melting my brain. It says to select "no" at trade in but I don't think it asks you anywhere else in the checkout process if you want to send AT&T your phone. It tells you about the deal but there is no info on how to get it.

You have to initiate a trade-in on ATT's website, not Apple. Allegedly after you buy/activate the phone on your ATT account, they will e-mail you with what I'm guessing is a promo code to enter during their trade-in assessment tool to put the value at $800.

If you order through ATT's website, they ask you during the checkout process and will tell you the monthly price after the $800 discount.

Also, the discount is only $700 on the MAX. $800 for the rest of the lineup. It's what swung my decision toward the regular Pro and not the Max. $6/month for 30 months for a $1000 phone while only having to send my 8+ in? Yes please. Other than the lame 30-month thing, that deal is pretty wild.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 16, 2020

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Preordered a Silver 12 Pro 256 GB painlessly through the AT&T app.

I was on the fence about upgrading my current 8 Plus, because it works just fine. Battery is at 79% health but it has not been a problem at all. I ‘wanted’ a new phone but I did not NEED one.

When I saw a Facebook post that said you get $800 credit towards the 12 Pro for trading in my 8 Plus, I did not hesitate and had the preorder done in less than five minutes.

This was around 9:30am CST, so several hours after preorders opened which is why I am guessing it says the estimated ship date is November 10th.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You have to initiate a trade-in on ATT's website, not Apple. Allegedly after you buy/activate the phone on your ATT account, they will e-mail you with what I'm guessing is a promo code to enter during their trade-in assessment tool to put the value at $800.

If you order through ATT's website, they ask you during the checkout process and will tell you the monthly price after the $800 discount.

Also, the discount is only $700 on the MAX. $800 for the rest of the lineup. It's what swung my decision toward the regular Pro and not the Max. $6/month for 30 months for a $1000 phone while only having to send my 8+ in? Yes please. Other than the lame 30-month thing, that deal is pretty wild.

Ah, thank you. That is a bit arcane but at least it makes sense.

I ended up going with the regular pro too luckily.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

$6/month for 30 months for a $1000 phone while only having to send my 8+ in? Yes please. Other than the lame 30-month thing, that deal is pretty wild.

It's worse than you think, because it now means whatever game changing epic phone Apple launches in 2022 you'll have to wait until April to finish your contract. And by that point you might as well wait until the 2023 iPhone announcement and my prediction is it will be the worst phone Apple ever sells.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Vegetable posted:

Wireless charging is nice I guess, but I often find myself using the phone even while it's charging (e.g., before bedtime or on an armchair), so I think you'd still rely on a cable for those occasions.

probably the idea behind the lightweight puck, no?

still nicer experience to take on/off than a cable to plug into a port. and sure it seems like a luxury, but there’ve been a bunch of posts even in these threads about plug issues, needing to clean out lint, etc.

im sure apple is just salivating to remove the port entirely. honestly not sure why they don’t want to put a smart connector in the back, since it would be a cheap way to allow non-inductive power delivery for items such as their own battery cases. or like, a magsafe sliding physical keyboard that isn’t dependent on a port or bluetooth.same for controllers.

xzzy posted:

It's worse than you think, because it now means whatever game changing epic phone Apple launches in 2022 you'll have to wait until April to finish your contract. And by that point you might as well wait until the 2023 iPhone announcement and my prediction is it will be the worst phone Apple ever sells.

is this a serious or irony post i can’t tell

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
what is the worst phone apple's ever sold? i'd say the 6 because it aged so poorly, or the 7 because that was when they took away the 3.5mm (i will never stop melting down over this)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e: I’m looking at the MagSafe charger in the store app and it says it’s compatible with my current XS Max. Weird.

Well, it's still a Qi charger. It's just it has magnetic alignment that works with the iPhone 12.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

prom candy posted:

what is the worst phone apple's ever sold? i'd say the 6 because it aged so poorly, or the 7 because that was when they took away the 3.5mm (i will never stop melting down over this)

I feel like hard to beat the 6 as bad phone, that one did not age well

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

prom candy posted:

The 4 has an iconic look but it also seemed to me to have the shortest shelf life, and it really struggled without a strong cell signal.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

prom candy posted:

I’d say the 6 too. It felt like Apple’s most uninspired release too.

Rick posted:

The 4 has an iconic look but it also seemed to me to have the shortest shelf life, and it really struggled without a strong cell signal.

Even with the problems, it was still one of Apple’s best releases imo. FaceTime, Retina display and a vastly better camera was a HUGE jump over the 3GS. It felt like the biggest year to year improvement.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 16, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Well, it's still a Qi charger. It's just it has magnetic alignment that works with the iPhone 12.

Ah, yeah I guess that makes sense. Kind of misleading, however.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Any advice on selling a currently-ATT-locked iPhone 8 on Swappa? It is paid off and unlockable, but as far as I can tell, to do so requires an active ATT account (which I do not have.) Should I designate it as an ATT-locked phone? Is there any way to make the unlockable status more attractive in search results without falsely labeling it as unlocked?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SeANMcBAY posted:

Even with the problems, it was still one of Apple’s best releases imo. FaceTime, Retina display and a vastly better camera was a HUGE jump over the 3GS. It felt like the biggest year to year improvement.

Still saying 4S for best ever.

Holy gently caress, desktop websites work just fine? It's finally the future.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

prom candy posted:

literally the first one. was so bad and limited they literally outright replaced it with the 3G like half a year later and this was before upgrade programs were in place

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Still saying 4S for best ever.

Holy gently caress, desktop websites work just fine? It's finally the future.

Request desktop version on safari basically never works for me. It’s so annoying. It just reloads the mobile page :argh:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Request desktop version on safari basically never works for me. It’s so annoying. It just reloads the mobile page :argh:

i assume it's often because websites are now "responsive" so it loads the same code either way and the relative perspective window width of the browser is what determines what UI it serves you. 'load desktop websites' should include a feature to modify that perspective.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

enojy posted:

Any advice on selling a currently-ATT-locked iPhone 8 on Swappa? It is paid off and unlockable, but as far as I can tell, to do so requires an active ATT account (which I do not have.) Should I designate it as an ATT-locked phone? Is there any way to make the unlockable status more attractive in search results without falsely labeling it as unlocked?

I have unlocked AT&T devices without an account before, it should be possible all online (although looks like maybe their device unlock page is offline right now).

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Never preordered an iPhone and got in today at 6:30a PST or so.

How likely or unlikely is it that I'll receive it prior to Nov 3-6 which is my current delivery date? It doesn't really matter either way I am just very impatient

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ah, how times change.

I had phones with browsers before the 4S (or even the original iPhone) but the 4S was the first one where I could throw basically any site at it and it'd just work smoothly.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah I had a 3GS when all my friends had 4s and I was extremely jealous. I don't think there's been a one year jump since that added so much. Retina was a game-changer and the form factor was way better.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Has there been any good articles on the A14 or 5 nm technology published anywhere? I know it’s dumb to wait for the next year’s chip because next year’s is always going to be better but I remember with Intel the CPUs they released the generation after a process shrink were insanely more powerful? I don’t need a 12 Pro (and I don’t think I’d like losing the ability to zoom in in pictures going from the XS to 12) so I’m already set on next year’s 13 but I’m just wondering if anyone smart has written about this.
Some Geekbench results from the new iPad Air and iPhone 12 seem to indicate about 20-30% improvement over A13. A lot of guesses are that it’s mostly from the up clock and process shrink, and maybe just focusing on energy efficiency...at the same time, a lot of their big gains before were “easy” wins in CPU design (I think generally memory/bandwidth related?) so it’s hard to predict what big leaps they might be able to do next.

Actually ARMv9 is seemingly around the corner so whatever Apple design based on that is probably the next major jump to look for, not sure if that’ll be ready by next year or the year after though.

mediaphage posted:

i assume it's often because websites are now "responsive" so it loads the same code either way and the relative perspective window width of the browser is what determines what UI it serves you. 'load desktop websites' should include a feature to modify that perspective.
Yeah most likely this. The possible way around it is to just scale the view down so it thinks you’re viewing on a larger viewport. Should work unless you just can’t scale down enough since it’s limited to 50% I think?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

prom candy posted:

Yeah I had a 3GS when all my friends had 4s and I was extremely jealous. I don't think there's been a one year jump since that added so much. Retina was a game-changer and the form factor was way better.

The 12 Mini will feel like a throwback to it for me. I wish it was coming out next week too. I want it now!:argh:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

literally the first one. was so bad and limited they literally outright replaced it with the 3G like half a year later and this was before upgrade programs were in place

That was only the 4gb model though. Released June 29th and then discontinued Sep 7th. Little over 2 months on the shelf before being replaced by the 8gb.
Also $499, no subsidies, 2 year ATT contract.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 16, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FCKGW posted:

4gb and $499 with 2 year contract, no subsidies, ATT only

It was technically Cingular only. ATT bought them around the same time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It was technically Cingular only. ATT bought them around the same time.

Yeah the keynote was all talking about Cingular but by the time it released the deal closed and it was ATT

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Maneki Neko posted:

I have unlocked AT&T devices without an account before, it should be possible all online (although looks like maybe their device unlock page is offline right now).

Thanks, I'll look into that later. It's been a while, but I vaguely remember an ATT account number (or similarly-tying information) being required at some point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
No subsidies, $500, 2 year contract, and from that point on AT&T did everything they could to get you to change plans because unlimited internet was a bad deal for them.

I worked for AT&T at the time and holy poo poo all the internal hype. When we finally got our hands on one all I wanted to do was pinch-in/pinch-out photos and use the onscreen keyboard. That was also about all you could do.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thinking fondly how Steve Jobs didn't want apps on the phone and was all-in on webapps :lol:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Thinking fondly how Steve Jobs didn't want apps on the phone and was all-in on webapps :lol:

I forgot about that.:lol:

What a visionary. I bought the original iPhone day one and loved it but it really was missing a lot of features that were expected for 2007 like picture messaging.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I'm waiting for the Pro Max on AT&T, and I've been in the IUP for the last few years. Seems like the best deal for me is to try to sell my 11 Pro for $700+, then just re-enroll in a new IUP plan. The carriers make their deals sound complicated, but at the end of the day it's basically just AT&T will give me $700 to trade in my phone, Apple will clear my remaining $664 loan balance, or I can sell it privately.

The only downside to me for the IUP is that I have to pay for Apple Care, which I probably wouldn't buy on my own, but the coverage is way better than AT&T's own insurance I could get if I got the phone through my carrier.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

All of the iPhones before ATT lost exclusivity might as well not have existed for me, so they were all the worst. :v:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Or how they kept teasing Flash support, but never did it. For good reason I guess. They did get a mobile version of Flash running on an iPhone, but it reduced battery time to 2 hours and probably turned your phone into a hot pocket.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

I forgot about that.:lol:

What a visionary. I bought the original iPhone day one and loved it but it really was missing a lot of features that were expected for 2007 like picture messaging.

There was no copy/paste

The original iPhone had a plastic screen until 6 weeks before launch when Steve Jobs was pissed that his keys scratched up his prototype phone so he had Foxconn build a new glass factory and changed it at the last minute, so that was a good thing.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Or how they kept teasing Flash support, but never did it. For good reason I guess. They did get a mobile version of Flash running on an iPhone, but it reduced battery time to 2 hours and probably turned your phone into a hot pocket.

I would postulate apple is the reason flash died as quickly as it did as a mainstream web medium

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

~Coxy posted:

As someone who has a purple car, this would be hot.

Has there ever been a purple iPhone option? I hate how Apple is pulling the stupid change color availability based on nothing?. I would have liked a new 12pro in green. But that was last years color so it can’t be offered again!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wasn’t iMessage/FaceTime meant to be open sourced at one point?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If only the original iPhone had copy and paste and MMS like these true masterpieces

It really is insane how much better it was than everything else on the market at the time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Dave posted:

If only the original iPhone had copy and paste and MMS like these true masterpieces

It really is insane how much better it was than everything else on the market at the time.

Weren’t the first Android phones were planned to look like that until the iPhone was announced?

Nothing against Android but it will take something huge for me to switch from iOS at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm definitely pondering losing between 30 and 60 grams of jorts-tugging weight going from the XR boat to a 12 or most likely, a 12 mini,