Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

luminalflux posted:

Watch it be Scott Weiner

Nooooo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Vox Nihili posted:

Weird, Wiener forgot to weigh in on Proposition 21 for some reason!

https://twitter.com/Scott_Wiener/status/1316902637292474382

lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FMguru posted:

I've seen Xavier Becerra's name tossed around as Harris's likely replacement.

Me, I'd love to see Katie Porter in that seat, but seems like a long shot.
He's got a good Anti-Trump caseload that might work some favor.

I'd love Porter as well, but it'll be Becerra, followed by Gavin when Feinstein gets Rona'd, then maybe Porter. Unless Becerra gets tapped for DoJ or someshit under Biden.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I still say Newsom is gonna try to nominate himself and pull out an airbud defense

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
No it's gonna be Beccera

but yeah possible De Leon

Porter is the dream in terms of the edge of possibility.

I'm sure there's some other awesome person who has zero chance

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I've seen Becerra also tapped as a potential Biden cabinet appointee (maybe even Attorney General).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

have Biden start packing the Supreme Court with Porter

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

starbucks hermit posted:

have Biden start packing the Supreme Court with Porter

Instead hell put Pat Leahy and Diane Feinstein on the court

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/thejdmorris/status/1317146725946028033

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Today a federal bankruptcy court screwed over Californians with the classic "privatize the profits, socialize the $72 million environmental clean-up".

e: here's some text. The whole article is good though, and covers how the plant has spread lead dust across the LA area for years and how it has been a focal point for community environmental justice.

LATimes posted:

A bankruptcy court ruled Friday that Exide Technologies may abandon its shuttered battery recycling plant in Vernon, leaving a massive cleanup of lead and other toxic pollutants at the site and in surrounding neighborhoods to California taxpayers.

The decision by Chief Judge Christopher Sontchi of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court District of Delaware, made over the objections of California officials and community members, marks the latest chapter in a decades-long history of government failures to protect the public from brain-damaging lead, cancer-causing arsenic and other pollutants from the facility.

The Trump administration, through the U.S. Department of Justice and the Environmental Protection Agency, supported Exide’s plan, which also leaves behind toxic sites in several other states. Those sites too remain a threat to public health and the environment.

The Justice Department said it received more than 1,000 written public comments in opposition to the proposal, which was released three weeks ago and provided the public eight business days to weigh in. More than 650 people called in to a five-hour public hearing Tuesday, with 125 people giving oral testimony that was “universally and strenuously and sometimes emotionally opposed to approval,” according to a Justice Department filing.

Attorneys for Exide suggested the Department of Toxic Substances Control could use the $26.4 million the company was required to set aside to keep the tent intact and prevent pollutants from getting out. Toxic Substance Control officials said that doing so would burn through the money quickly just maintaining the enclosure, and that all told, it will cost $72 million to make the site safe.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 16, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Remember to voate!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
In case anybody is asking themselves whether the DA for SLO County is a spiteful, racist piece of poo poo, here you go:

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/article246489785.html

(Open in a private/incognito window to evade the paywall.)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo my girls' middle school is opening up 5 days a week on Nov 4 with classrooms up to 34 students. Good loving grief.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

VikingofRock posted:

U.S. Bankruptcy Court District of Delaware

Hahahahaha, of loving course. gently caress this country.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1317208698935218176

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hahahahaha, of loving course. gently caress this country.

Don't worry we can correct this by voting for the Dem candida-

*holds finger to ear*

oh... oh dear...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Why is the CA GOP or really any political party allowed to collect ballots at all, in any capacity. Like there is a clear conflict of interest here.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sydin posted:

Why is the CA GOP or really any political party allowed to collect ballots at all, in any capacity. Like there is a clear conflict of interest here.

They're not it's super illegal. But if you're rich and have lots of lawyers the law is kind of mushy

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jaxyon posted:

They're not it's super illegal. But if you're rich and have lots of lawyers the law is kind of mushy

Well they're not allowed to have boxes. My understanding of the law is that if the GOP assigned a guy to hang out wherever they have those boxes installed and have people sign their sealed ballots over to that guy for delivery, that would be perfectly legal.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It's not super illegal for someone affiliated with a party to collect a ballot. What is illegal is having a dropbox. It would be perfectly legal for a GOP volunteer to go door to door offering to take ballots to a real dropbox. The way the law is written it requires a direct voter to specific-person-they-authorize-to-transport-their-ballot handoff. The reasoning is that it improves participation to let people who can't get to a post office/polling dropoff have a relative/neighbor/friend carry it for them and there's no specific exception to say 'unless your friend is a volunteer for a political party'

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 16, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/nataliewsj/status/1317195244237185024?s=20

Even the mainstream Dem orgs are starting to recognize that Feinstein sucks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Nice to know that the CA GOP has all the wit of the CA Young Republicans holding Affirmative Action bake sales.

Has anyone sent a letter to DiFi regarding the absolute farce that was her congratulatory bullshit at the end of the Handmaid appointment hearings? I want to yell at a senile old lady through the internet but didn't know if there was a coordinated effort to call her out yet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/eatersf/status/1317260225641066496

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Nice to know that the CA GOP has all the wit of the CA Young Republicans holding Affirmative Action bake sales.

Has anyone sent a letter to DiFi regarding the absolute farce that was her congratulatory bullshit at the end of the Handmaid appointment hearings? I want to yell at a senile old lady through the internet but didn't know if there was a coordinated effort to call her out yet.

I'm sure she's received thousands of letters. She won't personally see or even hear about any of them unless you're someone particularly important or rich.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FilthyImp posted:

Why would she care?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Feinstein will receive zero pushback and will be subject to mass fawning by the media and proclaimed a progressive warrior when she retires or dies in office. They’ll justify the title by pointing to the fact she’s from San Francisco and was in the same room as Harvey Milk on numerous occasions.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Feinstein will receive zero pushback and will be subject to mass fawning by the media and proclaimed a progressive warrior when she retires or dies in office. They’ll justify the title by pointing to the fact she’s from San Francisco and was in the same room as Harvey Milk on numerous occasions.

that time she flew the confederate flag over SF?

actually it was bernie

bernie did that

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
if the south woulda won, she woulda had it made
she'd probably run for president of the southern states

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Does Trump loving around with CA fire disaster relief make it more likely for the Dems to pick off CA 50 (the old Duncan Hunter district, East County San Diego)?

Last poll I saw was over a month ago and showed Issa and Camp-Najjar deadlocked.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Zwabu posted:

Does Trump loving around with CA fire disaster relief make it more likely for the Dems to pick off CA 50 (the old Duncan Hunter district, East County San Diego)?

Last poll I saw was over a month ago and showed Issa and Camp-Najjar deadlocked.

Campa-Najjar went on some stream smoking cigars with the local white nationalist militia leader so everyone left of Reagan in CA-50 that’s even remotely paying attention told him to go gently caress himself.

Issa’s gonna win cause the opposition was an opportunistic moron, and somehow more of one than Darrell Issa.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bastard Tetris posted:

Campa-Najjar went on some stream smoking cigars with the local white nationalist militia leader so everyone left of Reagan in CA-50 that’s even remotely paying attention told him to go gently caress himself.

Issa’s gonna win cause the opposition was an opportunistic moron, and somehow more of one than Darrell Issa.

Jesus Christ, I hadn't heard about this. Then again I'm in CA-52 so technically it's not my problem.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

No it's gonna be Beccera

but yeah possible De Leon

Porter is the dream in terms of the edge of possibility.

I'm sure there's some other awesome person who has zero chance

How lovely is Beccerra? I remember reading about him stepping to stop some cops from being prosecuted/corporations

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Bastard Tetris posted:

I hadn't heard about this either but here is an article about it: https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/ammar-campa-najjar-draws-criticism-from-dems-over-east-county-facebook-group-interview/2423349/

It was a dumb move, but I can see what led him to do it. If any self-identifying liberals in this district (there are dozens of us!) don't vote for him because of this, they would be supremely stupid though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Campa-Najjar is a piece of poo poo. Having him in the seat wouldn't be much different from a Republican.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Campa-Najjar is a piece of poo poo. Having him in the seat wouldn't be much different from a Republican.

Cool, forgive me for not wanting to be represented by Darrell Issa.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

marshmonkey posted:

Cool, forgive me for not wanting to be represented by Darrell Issa.

Then don't have any illusions about what you're getting. You're getting the kind of dude who pals around with white nationalist militia members and openly identifies as a Blue Dog Democrat.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Then don't have any illusions about what you're getting. You're getting the kind of dude who pals around with white nationalist militia members and openly identifies as a Blue Dog Democrat.

Living in the 50th is accepting that there are a lot of lovely people here. Every day I drive home from work and there's a dozen Trump supporters hanging out on the freeway overpass.

As lovely as Campa-Najjar is, Darrell Issa is worse.

Campa-Najjar pointed out his opponent former Congressman Issa also participated in a DEC livestream this week, criticizing comments the Republican made about "Black Lives Matter" and loosely organized anti-fascists known as "Antifa."

“These organizations have not only been doing destruction but they’ve been empowering them, because that is part of their agenda,” Issa told the group’s founder.

“Darrell Issa just said the ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement, the whole movement, anyone who believes we need racial justice in this country, is a criminal inciting violence and dangerous and trying to take away your freedoms. And I think that’s at best, an overstatement of what’s happening,” said Campa-Najjar.

Living in a district with regressive shitheads means choosing the lesser of two evils due to only the top two candidates getting on the ballot.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Do you know if he gave any of them a "terrorist fist-bump"? This might affect my vote.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Campa Najjar is a piece of poo poo who has shown at this point that he is willing to say anything to get elected, but he would definitely be better than Darrell "I committed grand theft auto and burned down my business for insurance money" Issa. The really awful thing about Campa Najjar is that he seemed like he was actually pretty solidly progressive in 2018.

Here's some highlights from the interview with the white supremacist group:

During his interview with Haskins, Campa-Najjar said progressive proposals like Medicare For All and The Green New Deal are “plans that are s—- wall to wall.”

When asked, he also said he was open to the federal government investigating former President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and the Clinton Foundation.

Of former Vice President Joe Biden, Campa-Najjar said, “You think I will vote for Biden necessarily; I still want to see how they perform in the debates.”

“I don’t think all 22,000 members are White supremacists.... They have parts of them that are very worthy of condemnation, and my hope is this group grows out of that. And I want them to denounce that hate and truly do right by East County.”

lol, what a spineless prick:

In a video Campa-Najjar posted on Twitter Sunday night he apologized for appearing alongside Defend East County and said he understands he needs to give people a reason to trust him again.

“Despite my best intentions, I messed up, I messed up bad and I should have been stronger and I should have called this out more strongly,” Campa-Najjar said in the two minute video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
There is no way you could get elected in CA-50 without pandering to people who are pieces of poo poo. The county is majority pieces of poo poo.

Ammar's whole shtick is seeming "like a reasonable young man" to enough chuds for a slim victory.

He hosed up and went over the line. Still better than Darrell loving Issa.

*edit* this is the district that re-elected Duncan Hunter after he was indicted

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 17, 2020