Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Let me post the rest of the photos, then:

Love a frame that's just steel I-beams:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Okay, exhaust through the bumper when it's at face-level is dumb. That's a case where I'd rather put stacks on a "pickup".

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Kodiak/Top Kick. We have 2 of these old rear end things at work (83'+84'?), and ours are that short. Very... "agricultural" is a nice way of putting it I guess. Also the manager that ordered those back in the day got some GRANNY-rear end rear end ratios too, we have to have them towed if they need to go out of the area for repairs or something.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Pros: Not taller than a bro-truck. Nice mirrors. Great style. Great motor, tons of room in the bay too.

Cons, the details. Frenched taillights I think? The fender things. The tailgate thing.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The tailgate is functional. The center dip lets you hook up to a 5th wheel, and the hinged center door lets you hook up to a gooseneck, both without dropping the whole gate. If you have to drop the tailgate, with most trailers you have a very narrow margin of error between stopping at the right spot and going too far and hitting the trailer. Then there's forgetting to put it back up and hearing the awful crunch soon as you make a small turn.

Can't speak to the bumper exhaust passthrough, ha.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

angryrobots posted:

The tailgate is functional. The center dip lets you hook up to a 5th wheel, and the hinged center door lets you hook up to a gooseneck, both without dropping the whole gate. If you have to drop the tailgate, with most trailers you have a very narrow margin of error between stopping at the right spot and going too far and hitting the trailer. Then there's forgetting to put it back up and hearing the awful crunch soon as you make a small turn.

Can't speak to the bumper exhaust passthrough, ha.

I get that, but it's ugly. They didn't follow the contour of the bed, and the center part hinges towards you to bang against the bottom of the tailgate and the license plate. Also the oilcanning and the poor fitment of the sheet metal against the frame. Would have been better to just make one with a valley in the middle as I see most 5-th wheel users use, it's not like you're tossing a load of loose anything in the back that needs that extra support anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

Pros: Not taller than a bro-truck. Nice mirrors. Great style. Great motor, tons of room in the bay too.

Cons, the details. Frenched taillights I think? The fender things. The tailgate thing.

Taillights are stock.
If by fender things, you mean the flares, I'm glad they have them rather than throwing poo poo everywhere. Could have done a better job, though. I'd go with smaller medium-duty wheels and tired to help alleviate that, myself.
Tailgate thing, as noted, is functional, but would have been more clever if it opened *inward*, for the reason you said.

For actual use, I'd probably remove some springs from the pack - a gooseneck trailer probably isn't going to be heavy enough to need the full capacity of the original truck, and it would improve the ride. Finnegan's (former, now) C50 ramp truck is a pretty good example of how I'd do it. Basically a 1-ton dually underneath, rather than full-on medium-duty.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Taillights are stock.

I think the taillights themselves are stock, but don't they have chrome trim around them normally? That's what a quick google makes it look like, but I don't have any experience with an actual one. It looks like they've possibly painted the trim to match the body and then tried to blend it in with bondo maybe? Looks like there's bondo cracking on the passenger side.
(edit: after some more looking, I honestly can't tell if they're stock, or modding them like that is just extremely common)

Agreed on the flares, you need SOMETHING, but those don't look great. I wonder if you could grab the fenders from an actual dually or stepside box and graft them on lower on the bed to make it not look weird... probably have to resize the wheel opening.

Darchangel posted:

For actual use, I'd probably remove some springs from the pack - a gooseneck trailer probably isn't going to be heavy enough to need the full capacity of the original truck, and it would improve the ride.

Would airbags be a terrible idea? Deflate them when you don't have a load on, pump them up when you need extra capacity.

It's a cool idea for a truck I think, the person who built it just had to work with what they had/knew. 1000% cooler than yet another immaculately-clean brodozer on 24" rims with worn-smooth mud tires.

boxen fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 16, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

boxen posted:

I think the taillights themselves are stock, but don't they have chrome trim around them normally? That's what a quick google makes it look like, but I don't have any experience with an actual one. It looks like they've possibly painted the trim to match the body and then tried to blend it in with bondo maybe? Looks like there's bondo cracking on the passenger side.
(edit: after some more looking, I honestly can't tell if they're stock, or modding them like that is just extremely common)

Nah. The basic models didn't have chrome back there. The ones that do have chrome, it just screws on over and around the taillights, and then there's a piece that shoots across the bodyline on the tailgate. He does have some cracked paint, though, yes.

quote:

Agreed on the flares, you need SOMETHING, but those don't look great. I wonder if you could grab the fenders from an actual dually or stepside box and graft them on lower on the bed to make it not look weird... probably have to resize the wheel opening.

Dually pickups didn't exist, then, I don't think, even though 1-tons did, but I've seen dually conversions done using the stepside fenders.

quote:

Would airbags be a terrible idea? Deflate them when you don't have a load on, pump them up when you need extra capacity.

It's a cool idea for a truck I think, the person who built it just had to work with what they had/knew. 1000% cooler than yet another immaculately-clean brodozer on 24" rims with worn-smooth mud tires.

That's pretty much what airbags are for, so yeah, that would be a good idea, and a huge improvement to the ride. That's pretty much what most modern trucks use, but back in the day, I guess they weren't reliable or good enough, so you get leaf springs set up for the maximum capacity, and God help you if you carry less.
Google "chevy c50 pickup", and you can see quite a few of these conversions. And also note that they don't need near as much rear flare with the sock-sized wheels and tires.
It also occurs to me that it would be pretty neat to put a Suburban body on one, even if less useful.

(Google "Chevy C70 pickup" if you want to see the squarebody version, BTW. "Chevy C60 pickup" interestingly , gets you a variety.)

People also use the medium duty/COE cabs from earlier trucks (and other makes, of course) to make interesting pickups or ramp trucks.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

There was definitely a C3500 dually pickup in 1971.

I think what happened with the fenders is that he has to run adapters for the Alcoas, so the front fenders are stock plus the lip which is probably as wide as the adapter adds, and he fabricobbled the rears to "match".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

angryrobots posted:

There was definitely a C3500 dually pickup in 1971.

I think what happened with the fenders is that he has to run adapters for the Alcoas, so the front fenders are stock plus the lip which is probably as wide as the adapter adds, and he fabricobbled the rears to "match".

Dually, yes. Pickup, as in with a fleetside bed, no, I don't think so. Flatbeds only. Chevy dually pickups showed up in the squarebodies.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I was thinking that I know I've seen them, but if this ad is to be believed, the pickup bed with fenders is a rare dealer add-on. Which is par for HD trucks until very recently so I could believe it.

http://classicvehicleslist.com/chevrolet/113729-1971-chevrolet-1-ton-c3500-dually-pickup-truck-no-rust-2nd-owner-rare.html

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Is there a thread where y'all can opine (and point and laugh) at a old car I'm currently thinking of buying?

It is this:

A 1994 Buick Roadmaster. It has the LT1 V8. It has 200,000 km, and apparently has never seen winter (super important in Atlantic Canada, the rust death hell zone.) $3500.

It is located in the middle of nowhere, and a friend is down for taking a road trip out to see it. Only problem: this place is so rural all the garages have closed thanks to the double whammy of covid and poo poo oil prices, so getting a mechanic to inspect it will take some doing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I love roadmasters. I want a 96 estate but I don't think it'll ever happen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is there a thread where y'all can opine (and point and laugh) at a old car I'm currently thinking of buying?

It is this:

A 1994 Buick Roadmaster. It has the LT1 V8. It has 200,000 km, and apparently has never seen winter (super important in Atlantic Canada, the rust death hell zone.) $3500.

It is located in the middle of nowhere, and a friend is down for taking a road trip out to see it. Only problem: this place is so rural all the garages have closed thanks to the double whammy of covid and poo poo oil prices, so getting a mechanic to inspect it will take some doing.

Looks exactly like my coworker's. He just got it from his grandfather (who I think is in his 80s or 90s). No LT1 though, it's whatever the normal 350 was at the time. Still great, though I guess the AC is a little fucky.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Godholio posted:

Looks exactly like my coworker's. He just got it from his grandfather (who I think is in his 80s or 90s). No LT1 though, it's whatever the normal 350 was at the time. Still great, though I guess the AC is a little fucky.
Wasn’t that the LT1? I know there’s a new LT1 which is something cool but my recollection back then was that it was just the 350 at the time.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Krakkles posted:

Wasn’t that the LT1? I know there’s a new LT1 which is something cool but my recollection back then was that it was just the 350 at the time.

All '94 Roadmasters got the LT1 (it was the first year of the LT1 in that model). The '91-93 Roadmasters all had some other (much weaker) V8.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Krakkles posted:

All 1994 Roadmasters had the 260 horsepower LT1 variant vs. the 180 hp base 350 that was used in previous years.

Edit: drat you!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
They are great cars, 1994 was a good year, bypass the antitheft with a resistor and make sure the water pump doesn't leak on the optispark and it will be a comfortable, reliable ride.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

They are great cars, 1994 was a good year, bypass the antitheft with a resistor and make sure the water pump doesn't leak on the optispark and it will be a comfortable, reliable ride.

Spoiler: The water pump either already has, or will in the future, leak on the optispark. It’s a fuckin’ fact of life. A ‘94 B body should have the later vacuum-vented version, but it’s still hilariously vulnerable to moisture-induced corrosion, especially if it sits for awhile. They’re more reliable if they get run frequently.

I had 3 Gen IIs over the years. An aluminum-head LT1 in a Z28, an iron-head LT1 in a 9C1 Caprice, and an L99 in another 9C1. Ask me about my Stockholm syndrome.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
To go along with a recent theme: https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/cto/d/arlington-rare-1973-chevrolet-90/7215462292.html

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yes expect to replace the water pump to be the road master. Also optisparks are expensive as hell unless things have changed.

It looks like amazon has a bunch for 50 bucks now but not oem.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 17, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ugh, just looking at that makes the fillings in my teeth want to fall out. Why bother having leaf "springs" at all just put a metal block in there :v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If the Roadmaster goon buys it and replaces the waterpump, its worth it to get the timing chain done at the same time is it not? 200,000 km is only 120,000 miles (for you american goons that know these cars) but Its one of those "while you're in there you might as well......." things ain't it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wesleywillis posted:

If the Roadmaster goon buys it and replaces the waterpump, its worth it to get the timing chain done at the same time is it not? 200,000 km is only 120,000 miles (for you american goons that know these cars) but Its one of those "while you're in there you might as well......." things ain't it?

If you don't have any reason to suspect that its damaged or stretched, not really.

To get the chain cover off, you have to pull the crank hub and drop the oil pan, which I really loathe doing in-car. If you have the engine out already then yes go to town, but now we're talking about rattle-can-rebuilds.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Thanks, good to know. Are there any other problem areas I should look out for?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I know pointing out english mistakes is like pointing out stupidity in MSM op-eds, but I do like how this ad is saying "rare" sarcastically

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It's a boomer thing. Putting it in quotes like that (to them) means you're saying it out loud, emphasizing it. Used to see it in newspaper for sale ads and the like all the time.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
They're called "scare quotes" because

OUR FISH ARE "FRESH"

does not instill confidence.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

wesleywillis posted:

You're probably thinking of overhead cam engines where the water pump is driven by the timing belt and sort of located in the space where yes, the standard advice is to replace both. An overhead valve engine isn't really set up the same way.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Throatwarbler posted:

You're probably thinking of overhead cam engines where the water pump is driven by the timing belt and sort of located in the space where yes, the standard advice is to replace both. An overhead valve engine isn't really set up the same way.

I know. But IIRC, on most american OHV engines, you need to remove the water pump to do the timing chain anyway. I've done one or two myself over the years.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Krakkles posted:

His is probably a 93 then. It's not an LT1.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

angryrobots posted:

I was thinking that I know I've seen them, but if this ad is to be believed, the pickup bed with fenders is a rare dealer add-on. Which is par for HD trucks until very recently so I could believe it.

http://classicvehicleslist.com/chevrolet/113729-1971-chevrolet-1-ton-c3500-dually-pickup-truck-no-rust-2nd-owner-rare.html

Those are squarebody (73-'87) dually fenders, so the ad is horseshit. edit: or disingenuous at best.
He is, however, not wrong about the 6" extended (8' 6")bed. My dad has a '70 "Longhorn" 3/4 ton Chevy, and had a '72 GMC one. They're rare-ish.
Also, curiously, the Chevy had leaf springs, and the GMC had truck arms and coils like the half-tons. The Chevy also has split rims, and a granny 4-speed on a 350, while the GMC was a 402/TH400. The Chevy also has 4.56 rear gears, so granny first can pull houses, but only at walking speed.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Nebakenezzer posted:

It is this:

Do it and swap in a manual.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Darchangel posted:

Those are squarebody (73-'87) dually fenders, so the ad is horseshit. edit: or disingenuous at best.
He is, however, not wrong about the 6" extended (8' 6")bed. My dad has a '70 "Longhorn" 3/4 ton Chevy, and had a '72 GMC one. They're rare-ish.
Also, curiously, the Chevy had leaf springs, and the GMC had truck arms and coils like the half-tons. The Chevy also has split rims, and a granny 4-speed on a 350, while the GMC was a 402/TH400. The Chevy also has 4.56 rear gears, so granny first can pull houses, but only at walking speed.

I had a 67 with the granny gear and you could just hop out while it idled up the driveway in gear.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BigPaddy posted:

:hai:

That is the plan

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

I had a 67 with the granny gear and you could just hop out while it idled up the driveway in gear.

Even better, dad's has a settable hand throttle for farm stuff. Yes, I've used it as cruise control before.

BigPaddy posted:

Nebakenezzer posted:

:hai:

That is the plan

Good man.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Even better, dad's has a settable hand throttle for farm stuff. Yes, I've used it as cruise control before.

Good man.

I like that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I like that.

It's pretty neat. Just another matching knob below the choke knob on the dash. Pull out to where you want it, then twist to lock.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=296346

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Did your dad's truck have a PTO?