Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NaanViolence posted:

You know it's a lovely post when it starts with a mouth-breathing, sarcastic 'uhhh.'

Can we stop being assholes to each other in here and maybe have an actual discussion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The Democrats!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Attack this, not Harris's perfectly valid if slightly too understated reply.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Well this is one way for us to find out if Graham has been hiding a positive COVID test result.

Is there any Democrat in the Senate worse than Feinstein? At least Manchin has the excuse that he's in goddamn West Virginia

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/1316843006960586758

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vegetable posted:

Attack this, not Harris's perfectly valid if slightly too understated reply.

both loving suck, actually

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/Sifill_LDF/status/1316790567427338246

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 16, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i can't even muster up surprise or anger anymore

it just is what it is

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Pk guys, we have a week to give McConnell Corona. Who's gonna spit in his pudding?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Proust Malone posted:

The rise of evanglicalism is IMO directly a consequence of Brown

Evangelical Christianity was at it's peak in membership and political power in America between 1820-80.

Of course they in general held to Postmillennialism theology, while they mostly changed to Premillennialism, which is one of the main reasons for the wildly different political beliefs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Happy birthday to me!

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

So, how many more years are we going to be stuck with this doddering old fossil?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nucleic Acids posted:

So, how many more years are we going to be stuck with this doddering old fossil?

I’ve encountered more rational actors in memory care units.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I had to laugh because I saw someone on twitter saying they're going to continue to be "forced" to vote for her as they always have since her opponent is always "Green Party tier".

This person's handle is "we're all toby now" and their avatar was Toby from West Wing lol

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Maybe we can hope Lady G gave her the 'rona.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Nucleic Acids posted:

I happened to have a life expectancy chart on-hand (not in the "I'm on the Internet" sense; I literally have a hard copy within arm's reach), and it's 5.9 years.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/AJentleson/status/1316813613118693378

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Also that a college student losing his scholarship for raping a classmate was an example of anti-male bias.

I read the story on this one and it's not nearly this clear cut. The tribunal the male student faced expelled him and told him that he had admitted to the assault when he had not admitted anything. The school defaulted to taking the female student's side with no due process for the male student who was lost his ROTC scholarship.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Death to decorum.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Evil Fluffy posted:

Death to decorum.

This is a strange allegory to the way nature works, senescence is required for humans because at a certain inflection point your cells have just about a 100% chance of becoming cancerous given enough time; so just like how we must die or get overwhelmed by cancer, we really need to be purged of the cancer of all these drat olds who are far beyond their cognitive ability to serve. This goes for all government posts, not just unique to Senate and/or SC.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/AHoweBlogger/status/1317209623607345159

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

how do you file a curiae brief to scotus?

I need to send them my pocket edition of the Constitution, highlighting included for free

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"given the permissibility of slavery at the ratification of the Constitution, I find that the founders intended that God-forsaken aliens are, in fact, not people..."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mr. Nice! posted:

Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed.
brb starting a million more corporations

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Im on your side in this, but the argument will be made that illegals aren't taxed either. I don't think you get roberts, kav, and gorsuch all the vote against including them, regardless of what ACB does.

Side question, do we count ambassadors and diplomatic persons as part of the count for apportionment? They are people, and they are not taxed, but they shouldn't be included.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They are taxed though. Undocumented immigrants can get Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

By the way, there's no such thing as "Indians not taxed".

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 17, 2020

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

They are taxed though. Undocumented immigrants can get Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers.

They also pay sales tax to the states and municipalities they live in, gas taxes, and any of the dozens to hundreds of other little here-and-there taxes that people forget about, although how much pull that argument will have on the federal level I don't know.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Estimates vary between 50-75% of undocumented workers pay federal income taxes and meet medicare and social security withholding requirements. (And quite a few of the rest don't make enough to owe federal income taxes even if they had withholdings)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I didn't say that I agreed with the argument, just that that is the argument that will be made.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

What would they even do with this? How are they going to subtract undocumented residents from the tally? It seems logistically unworkable.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Im on your side in this, but the argument will be made that illegals aren't taxed either. I don't think you get roberts, kav, and gorsuch all the vote against including them, regardless of what ACB does.

Side question, do we count ambassadors and diplomatic persons as part of the count for apportionment? They are people, and they are not taxed, but they shouldn't be included.

Embassies are considered sovereign land of that nation so anyone living on the grounds of one would be excluded from the census. Staff who live in the surrounding community would be counted.

Stickman posted:

What would they even do with this? How are they going to subtract undocumented residents from the tally? It seems logistically unworkable.

Well obviously there's 20 million in California and another 10 in NY so we'll just cut their reps and EC votes and give those to [insert list of blood red states here]. :fsmug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The WH is gonna argue on what "in" means because they seem to go after the most bizarrely dumb arguments.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This will almost certainly gently caress Texas and Florida as bad or worse than California

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The political impact shouldn't matter because this is just simply wrong. Persons include people who are not citizens. As someone else said, the court may just be taking this now to clarify the obvious before the deadline and maybe demonstrate that court packing isn't necessary. (gently caress you, we're packing anyway)

To the extent it does matter, the Pew took a stab at analyzing the impact, and it isn't much. there would be roughly 3 losses, one each from a red, blue, and competitive state, and those 3 seats might go 2 to a couple red states and 1 to a blue state. So maybe the GOP gains about half a seat/EV if we decide illegal aliens do not count.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sanguinia posted:

This will almost certainly gently caress Texas and Florida as bad or worse than California

Entirely depends on who gets to decide on who is or is not a real person. Facts don’t matter, only power does. This is a power grab. Effectively this could give the courts the power to apportion EC votes etc

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Stickman posted:

Memorandum on Excluding Illegal Aliens From the Apportionment Base Following the 2020 Census

"Just do it" :shrug:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
What's great about this argument is it simply asserts its conclusion:

Trump posted:

The Constitution does not specifically define which persons must be included in the apportionment base. Although the Constitution requires the “persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed,” to be enumerated in the census, that requirement has never been understood to include in the apportionment base every individual physically present within a State’s boundaries at the time of the census. Instead, the term “persons in each State” has been interpreted to mean that only the “inhabitants” of each State should be included. Determining which persons should be considered “inhabitants” for the purpose of apportionment requires the exercise of judgment. For example, aliens who are only temporarily in the United States, such as for business or tourism, and certain foreign diplomatic personnel are “persons” who have been excluded from the apportionment base in past censuses. Conversely, the Constitution also has never been understood to exclude every person who is not physically “in” a State at the time of the census. For example, overseas Federal personnel have, at various times, been included in and excluded from the populations of the States in which they maintained their homes of record. The discretion delegated to the executive branch to determine who qualifies as an “inhabitant” includes authority to exclude from the apportionment base aliens who are not in a lawful immigration status.
It's pretty unclear how that final sentence is even connected to the earlier points being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Embassies are considered sovereign land of that nation
No. In almost all cases*, the embassy remains part of the host country. International treaties confer special immunities and privileges, but they don't make the land a mission stands upon a part of the sending country.
* It's technically possible for the two countries to trade the land, but I don't know of any embassy where that's actually happened.