Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So after using KT88s in a JCM 800 clone I tried JJ E34Ls and it went from boomy and loud to tight and thick. Muuuch better. Oh well sometimes we learn the hard way. To be clear since I run a load box at home I keep the amp in the sweet spot at about 1 o’clock so it does push the output section a bit.

KT88s were like twice as loud/had insane headroom, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

So after using KT88s in a JCM 800 clone I tried JJ E34Ls and it went from boomy and loud to tight and thick. Muuuch better. Oh well sometimes we learn the hard way. To be clear since I run a load box at home I keep the amp in the sweet spot at about 1 o’clock so it does push the output section a bit.

KT88s were like twice as loud/had insane headroom, though.

Even 900s sound good with EL34s up in them guts.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Old vs new. The Electric Amp is way, way too loud to play in my current apartment with paper-thin walls. I picked up a 1W Marshall DSL1 combo to use for now instead. And I run it in 0.1W mode most of the time.

Lemme tell you, that Marshall DSL is actually pretty awesome. I had a Marshall TSL previously that I sold to pick up a 5150 instead (best choice ever) because I really didn't get along with that TSL. This amp is genuinely not bad, though. And, of course, the Electric is an absolute tone monster worthy of worship and praise...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The DSL series is p cool imo. I even like the TSL ok if you can fix the boards that become conductive. Those John McNeese-built Electric amps are about the best poo poo you can get. I hope you find a nice load box for it so it doesn't get lonely. <3

edit: McNeece

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 17, 2020

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Those John McNeese-built Electric amps are about the best poo poo you can get

I've genuinely rattled objects off of shelves onto the floor in my apartment from that Electric Amp bellowing. It seems incredibly simple inside but it will viciously strip the paint from your walls if turned up.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
For what it's worth, I find my Bassbreaker 15 head to be more manageable in an apartment than my Vox AC4TV, even through the same cabinet - the master volume is seriously great on this thing, and more controllable than the 1/10-1-4 W attenuator on the Vox.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Catastrophe posted:

I've genuinely rattled objects off of shelves onto the floor in my apartment from that Electric Amp bellowing. It seems incredibly simple inside but it will viciously strip the paint from your walls if turned up.

I'd never seen those before. I've been wanting a GT1 for a while but had the same problem as you with walls (got an Ox to solve that problem and promptly ordered a superbass clone). Whats the rough estimate on cost for the one you got?

EDIT: Just noticed these _are_ Matamp USA amps :cripes:

mpaarating fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 28, 2020

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I have been worshipping at the Church of AC15C1 since I got my Vox with the greenback a month back now. The stock tubes are great, and the reverb tank is a lot better than I was expecting. Another thing that surprised me was how well some pedals work with it. Of course they do work better on the normal channel than the top boost, but I didn't expect a (seeing-eye modded) ds-1 to sound so great. Carcosa fuzz is awesome of course, and it loves my Echobrain delay. Now I just have to get a Hotcake. I think the thing I love most about the Vox is how goofy the circuit interactions are, nothing as straightforward as a Fender, it's a different logic altogether.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
My Peavey Mark IV head keeps blowing fuses. Pretty sad cuz I spent a long time tryina find one, sent this one in to get services, and then blammo, 5 amp hours later it blows 3 fuses right after another.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sounds like as it heats up the metal in another conductor expands and connects with something it shouldn’t causing a short. I would think that, at a minimum, both boards inside will need to be removed, cleaned and inspected for faults.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

scuz posted:

My Peavey Mark IV head keeps blowing fuses. Pretty sad cuz I spent a long time tryina find one, sent this one in to get services, and then blammo, 5 amp hours later it blows 3 fuses right after another.

I had this issue with my Dual Rec before realizing I was using normal fuses instead of slo-blow fuses. Check the owners manual and see if this amp calls for those

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Iucounu posted:

I had this issue with my Dual Rec before realizing I was using normal fuses instead of slo-blow fuses. Check the owners manual and see if this amp calls for those
Yep, popped the slo-blow in there and it still went kapow. Gonna get in touch with the dude who fixed it in the first place (he was a Peavey warranty tech for like ~20 years) and let him know what's up. Possible that the cab I have it connected to went haywire somehow, but whom knows

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What did they do to it when you got it serviced?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well that's a little bit of a story. I bought it thinking it was broken (it wasn't but the speaker I bought with it was), attempted to replace the 30 year old capacitors, but I installed them backwards by mistake. The tech corrected my error and bench tested it for a few hours and everything was working fine.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

What's going on with those potentiometers? Are you able to bias those individually or something?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Modern Sky posted:

What's going on with those potentiometers? Are you able to bias those individually or something?

Yep. It’s a thing Matamp does. You don’t need to buy matched tubes.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

I didn't know that about them, but i did enjoy the charm of the Electric Amps website looking into this a little bit and how 1997 it still is, and how they clowned on Matamp UK before changing their name. Looks like I missed some drama.

I mean look at this.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
green electric amp brought to you by timecube

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
you have been educated dumb, brilliant, and boring using assumed math 4 day rotation turret mount components rated at 600f provide optimum tone

matamp frauds have cyclop perspective

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

green electric amp brought to you by timecube

:nice:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hey someone else referenced Gene Ray!

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

so, would anyone help me diagnose something?

I have 2 Sovtek Mig-50Hs, one is a head I've had for years, and the subject of the question, the second is a backup I bought for a good deal, and will serve as a reference.

My older Mig-50H had a problem since coming back from a repair some years ago where, when plug straight into a guitar, no pedals, it makes a lot of noise when I lower the volumes on my guitar on the clean channel. When I lower the volume on my guitar through pedals, there's no noise. This leads me to believe there's some problem with grounding which is taken care of when I play through my pedal boards. This happens with any guitar, only on the clean channel.

Am i correct to assume this a problem with the ground somewhere in the input for the low channel? From what I can tell of the schematic, the high channel adds a gain stage at the start of the low channel, so the whole grounding issue is taken care of again. If there's any good news, the amp tech who fixed it after it blew a tube, some fuses, and a couple resistors, is out of business. I dont know why he thought it was a good idea to disassemble the inputs in the first place. I've looked at the two side by side, and it LOOKS right to my eye, but I'm not an amp tech, just someone with a soldering iron and enough curiosity.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The MIG50h has no grid stopper on the low input so if there is even a minor short it can get amplified through that channel. Bummer dude.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Yep, that checks out for some reason there's a resistor in the schematic BEFORE the Low input that to my untrained eye looks like it would be doing that job.

This in particular is my favorite kind of trouble shooting, figuring out what the last guy messed up. The amp never behaved this way, and my other one doesn't either, but there were many revisions of these amps while they were being made. Still it's weird it's making a scratchy pot sound when rolling my volume on my guitars.

I have an old Mig-50 that makes a lot of buzzing that's effected by the Mid knob. I'll have to look into that too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

When you figure it out I beg of you to tell us what you discovered.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I feel like I may be about to accidentally ask a controversial question...

WAHEY! IGNORANCE!

I'm putting together a guitar recording studio. A place where bands can cheaply come get their guitars recorded with real amps\cabs etc. Basically, I noticed that my gear collection got a tad excessive and since I was building a semi-legit home studio for my usage, why not see if other bands want to use it too and maybe I can make some mon-ahahahhahahahaha yeah okay but a man can dream right? The room I'm recording in has been treated acoustically and a bit of sound-proofing, so I don't have to worry too much about volume.

I need a mid-gain amp. Also I'm sure that most clients are going to appreciate walking into a "guitar studio" and to see a Marshall head sitting there. So my plan was to knock off two birds with one stone and get a mid-gain Marshall (IE: Not a JCM800).

Marshalls haven't really been my thing so I've been checking them out using a bunch of amp sims (which I know isn't THAT great of an example, but a decent place to start). I appreciate how well some Marshalls react to your volume knob and clean up nicely without having to mute your guitar. So my initial instinct was to get either a 1987x or a JTM45 because I found it easy to get a real pretty clean tone with those by rolling back my guitar volume, but obviously they'd bark and scream a little when wound up.

However, after listening to a bunch of videos on YouTube, I'm noticing that sometimes, Marshalls have this really harsh, bright, high-mid\treble grind going on (especially super leads) and that's been the "thing" that I haven't really enjoyed about Marshalls. I like it when the Marshall is clean and glassy, edge of breakup, and more of the woofy, open-ended gain instead.

That lead me to looking up the Marshall JVM and there are some big opinions about this amp. The hardcore Marshall nerds seem to hate it (but they also seem to hate anything Marshall made after 1980) but everybody else seems to really like it. The 4 channel versatility thing I can imagine being very useful in a recording situation as well, as it seems to do high gain, but all the other Marshall goodness too. I've heard clips of it get grindy, but it doesn't seem to get as harsh as some of the plexis I've heard.

Obviously at some point I need to go play all these amps, but nobody around me has any of these in stock due to the 'rona. So my questions about the JVM are:

- Does it have that dynamic response to a guitar volume knob that I described earlier?
- Does it do mid-gain blues\rock tones nicely?
- Can it do that Marshall grindy thing if I want it to?
- Are hardcore Marshall nerds wrong and does a JVM actually kick rear end?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

H13 posted:

- Does it have that dynamic response to a guitar volume knob that I described earlier?
- Does it do mid-gain blues\rock tones nicely?
- Can it do that

JVMs are pretty good all around amps. They can get insanely heavy too if that’s what the kids are into. What makes you think a JCM800 isn’t a mid gain amp? It’s not really a metal amp unless you really boost the front end. The newer DSLs also sound pretty good.

A lot of Marshall icepicky-ness is bad settings or poor micing technique on the cab.

It’s fun to do tracking with a big amp in the room, but I would also strongly encourage you to get a reactive load box and use IRs. The player can still have the feel of the cab flapping their pants but it’s so much easier than worrying about proper micing technique, buying a bunch of mics, and it sounds just as good these days.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Also bright cap removal helps ice pick harshness.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Iucounu posted:

JVMs are pretty good all around amps. They can get insanely heavy too if that’s what the kids are into. What makes you think a JCM800 isn’t a mid gain amp? It’s not really a metal amp unless you really boost the front end. The newer DSLs also sound pretty good.

A lot of Marshall icepicky-ness is bad settings or poor micing technique on the cab.

It’s fun to do tracking with a big amp in the room, but I would also strongly encourage you to get a reactive load box and use IRs. The player can still have the feel of the cab flapping their pants but it’s so much easier than worrying about proper micing technique, buying a bunch of mics, and it sounds just as good these days.

Cheers for the advice :)

Between my Recto and my Uberschall, I've pretty much got high-gain sorted. I'm gonna keep my eye out for a cheap 6505 or EVH, but yeah I don't really need the high-gain Marshall thing, which is why I didn't consider the JVM at first.

I've only ever really heard a JCM800 played by Iron Maiden and <insert 90% of 80s Thrash Metal bands here>. I've only heard JCM800s used in that context and to be honest, they never really blew my tits off unless you were actually Slayer. So I guess the real reason why I never considered one is because I haven't heard one that I thought: "gently caress yeah!" about.

I track the guitars with the amp and an IR to get a ballpark sound without hurting anybody. Then once the DI is recorded, I'll re-amp through the amp\cabs. I already have a bunch of mics, and I'm one of those sick bastards who actually enjoys mic'ing up a cab. I find I can get a properly recorded cab to fit way easier in a mix than an IR, even though there's some killer IRs out there.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

All of those other amps are based on a JCM 800. They added a gain stage and modified the cold clipper stage to be more aggressive but all of those amps have 800 DNA.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What was the Boogie that was directly based from Randall Smith messing with a Fender Bassman/Deluxe Reverb? Or was that the Mark series?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wark Say posted:

What was the Boogie that was directly based from Randall Smith messing with a Fender Bassman/Deluxe Reverb? Or was that the Mark series?

IIRC the Mark series started by some weird fusion of a Princeton and a Bassman?

They're good amps

e: I could be talking about the Mark series, the Princeton, or the Bassman and I'm still correct :v:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah the prototype mark 1 was a princeton with an extra gain stage and master volume, the power stage from a bassman, and a larger speaker

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I heard some story about Randall getting 400 PS transformers from Fender’s supplier using a little social engineering over the phone and CBS being pretty pissed about it seeing as how they were a proprietary Ed Jahns design. That poo poo stopped but not before Smith found another means for massive iron. Could be apocryphal, though?

Edit: I’m definitely wrong about it being a 400 ps because that’s absurd but I think the story generally holds about the transformer supplier.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 24, 2020

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

So I've been window shopping for a tube amp for a while now to go with my American Special Tele. I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to tubes, but I know it's the sound that I want, but I'm on a budget too, so I've spent my days browsing on Craigslist. I see a lot of stuff in the $400 range, which is fine for me since I just play at home for now (although maybe someday I'll jam again once this covid biz blows over).

There's a Blues Junior III (tweed run) for sale in my area for $415. I see a lot of those varieties for around the same price, +/- $50. There's also a RED Texas Hot Rod Deluxe for the same price, but from what I read it's not really worth it unless you want a red amp. One more I came across is a Traynor YCV40, which I've never heard of for $375.

Anyway, I used to be an Ibanez guy, but after a long hiatus I got a Tele because I like the jazz sound you can get out of it. I've watched a bunch of comparison vids, but I figured I'd get some goons' takes on it too.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
No rhyme or reason for this except I like my amps. If anyone wants a rundown on any let me know!

I am in negotiation to add a Dual Rec to the group so that'll be cool I think!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hah same, as soon as I heard Gibson buying Mesa I ran to the music shop to put the Boogie they had on hold.

Which Vox is that on the left?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Hah same, as soon as I heard Gibson buying Mesa I ran to the music shop to put the Boogie they had on hold.

Which Vox is that on the left?

Haha I don't particularly mind that Gibson bought Mesa, I just always wanted a Dual Rec, and one popped up local for a good price, so I figured gently caress it.

And the left Vox is a Night Train 50 (first gen). Phenomenal amp. My first big girl amp and still one of my favourites. Brilliant chimey cleans, and brain melting overdrive. Thick mode is decent, but clean and drive are mindblowingly good.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

No rhyme or reason for this except I like my amps. If anyone wants a rundown on any let me know!

I love your amp rack, it's just nice to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If Gibson changes one minor thing about any Mesa amp they will, tubes and all, immediately evaporate into a milky cloud of vaporized Red Bull. I don’t think they can afford to do things differently from an engineering and QA standpoint.