Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy
Bunch of interesting things in that screenshot, new machines and plants, I am intrigued by the new chest, default ones are just not big enough. Looks like a big furnace too and some kind of bone machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you mean the big thing next to the furnaces that's just a shipping box, which you can already order at Robin's shop

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm intrigued by the phone. Is it just decoration or are there people you can call? Maybe it has something to do with being out in the desert

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bone machine by the big shed door?

Maybe the green chest is magical, like, it syncs items across multiple chests, distant from each other, or maybe it’s just cosmetic like I suspect the one by the bone machine is.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the split screen is a really cool feature! i like this engineering

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It looks like there’s a starfish on the sand, centered above the toolbar, implying that this is beach sand, not desert sand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone on Reddit pointed out what looks like ginger in the far right slot of the caving character’s toolbar.

The crops in the sand could be ginger plants.

Reddit thinks that the machines north of the fence are connected to the chest, giving us automation in the base game, but I’m less sure of that.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 17, 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

I'm the slime wearing sunglasses.

I’m the slime oozing out from your TV set.

I have two long-standing farms and what must be pushing a thousand hours in this game. Maybe it’s only six- or seven-hundred. I’m afraid to check. All the stuff they’re always adding is cool, but I want more things like the night market and the festivals. Fishing from the submarine, and the dance of the moonlight jellies, and the Easter egg hunt, and choosing which citizen to dance with, are the things that really made this game feel special to me. The problem is, after a few trips around the calendar, there’s nothing new to be found at those events.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm the dog treat machine

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So I'm assuming that this means that I could play this together with my wife on our one Switch?

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1317251778241466369

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you have multiple monitors on your pc will the game split up between them instead of on one? :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Someone asked that on Twitter. Hope the phone is a thing that works rather than a decoration.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Someone asked that on Twitter. Hope the phone is a thing that works rather than a decoration.
Nice. I only have one monitor so no personal steak in it but it seems like something people would try and do.

Yes I want working phone to prankcall Clint and place an order for 100 pizzas copperbars to Pierre.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That scoundrel Clint doesn’t even sell metal bars.

He just sells the ore.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

He sells weapons but only to the adventures guild and he has access to iridium as evidenced by his display at the fair. loving cartel. I want to open my own blacksmiths shop and put him out of business then Shane will take over his shop and the enclosed land behind it and open an micro artisanal chicken farm.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I chose to marry Emily and as a bonus that sad sack incel Clint will be lonely.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Chasiubao posted:

I chose to marry Emily and as a bonus that sad sack incel Clint will be lonely.

same

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I married Emily once, but then realised she'd be into the whole homeopathic medicine/anti vax/fad insanity crowd.

Lucky for me, I was just about to start a new game!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Emily is cool but not as cool as Leah.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Emily is cool but not as cool as Leah.

And Penny is superior to both.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Cythereal posted:

And Penny is superior to both.

Penny's mom drives drunk and I always feel bad for Penny.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Pam as the wacky town drunk and Pam as your mother-in-law would be two very, very different things.

Plus if he’s not dead, you know her dad would resurface the minute he heard the daughter he abandoned married the wealthiest person in the valley.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

If his jaw is like Kel's, that won't be a problem.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Penny sucks

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Every time I give her beer she gets mad and cries. Loser

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

you monster

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Krobus wife best wife

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

I married Emily once, but then realised she'd be into the whole homeopathic medicine/anti vax/fad insanity crowd.

Lucky for me, I was just about to start a new game!

Why do that just divorce her for Haley :kheldragar:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I wanted to try the river farm.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WarpedNaba posted:

Self‐harm is not cool, friend.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Use the poly mod and just make your bed bigger and bigger with your farm fam. Don’t talk to me or my wife or my wife or my wife or Krobus or my son ever again.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

I did this and I regretted it. Sure you can fish without leaving your farm. You also have zero space to work with in terms of anything else.

Mind you I’m in Xbox so there’s no mods.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't it just river fish which is right next to the farm anyway? The forest farm has secret forest fish which is way more useful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think it used to be just river fish, but now there’s a chance to catch fish from the forest pond, the one under the Traveling Cart spot, not the secret one.

So these are both a short walk from the farmhouse, and you get to choose which list you want to pull from, while at the farm you have to take them all together.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think the hill top farm gives you a decent amount of space and landscape variety without hampering you too much, but 4 corners is nice to divide up into 4 completely different purposes. River sucks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wanted to like the forest farm the first time I played, but its gimmicks aren’t any good and it has even fewer usable tiles than the river map.

Mixed seeds aren’t worth planting halfway into the first spring.

The forage is O.K., but the way to really step up foraging is to craft and plant wild seeds. For the mushrooms, the mushroom cave is good enough.

Woodskips are nothing special after the first one, and even that isn’t much of a catch because it goes in the Specialty Fish Bundle that requires venturing into the mines, repairing the bus, and waiting till summer for the pufferfish. By then, you can easily have a steel axe to break into the Secret Woods and get a woodskip there (with a higher bite rate).

The hardwood is O.K. I guess. The best I can say for it is that it’s the lowest‐effort route to an early stable, but there are only so many good uses for hardwood beyond that, and if you’re really itching for it, the mines are a good source.

All of the speciality maps I think are traps. People who who choose them for æsthetics are displeased by the things they can’t change. People who choose them for the aspects of gameplay they represent quickly outgrow the “babby’s first” versions present on the farm.

Anyone who loves fishing treks to where the fish they want are found. Anyone who wants ores hits the mines and finds the quarry quaint. Anyone who wants combat also goes to the mines and then the Skull Cavern.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 18, 2020

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I like the weird farms because the only real challenge to the game is "where am I going to stash all this stuff in a way that's efficient and pleasing?"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's true, I've basically stopped visiting the quarry in mine unless I spot an artifact or it's full (then I'll bomb it to hell and forget about it for another season). Maybe I should plant something there instead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This idea would require unreasonable changes to the core game, but I think it would be neat if different maps had different microclimates to differentiate them beyond “here are some areas where Yoba’s finger touched your farm that you can’t walk, build or plant on”.

On the river map, maybe the moderating effect of all that water means that fall crops don’t die in the first week of winter. The high water table lets crops go one day between waterings. Maybe even give the rice trait of automatic irrigation to every crop near the river so it’s not obsolete once sprinklers are available, but that could be too powerful from the start.

For the forest map, the surrounding trees take the edge off the summer’s heat, allowing spring crops to hang in through early summer. Fog could come in and moisten crops on days that are otherwise sunny.

The hill farm’s altitude means fall starts early there. It is subject to more lightning strikes on stormy days.

The wilderness farm, being in the wilderness, is more exposed to the elements. Summer effectively starts early there. Animals enjoy the rangeland and gain the mood benefits of grazing outside even in the absence of tall grass. Trees mature and yield quality fruit on shorter timelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

That's true, I've basically stopped visiting the quarry in mine unless I spot an artifact or it's full (then I'll bomb it to hell and forget about it for another season). Maybe I should plant something there instead.

It’s a great spot for the barn and coop. You can fill up the area beneath it with grass.