Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemming posted:

As long as we're still (sort of) talking about stuff we're personally working on, I've been re-working my gorilla locomotion system where you run and jump around using your arms and now I can finally use it with arbitrary meshes, so for fun I dropped it into Dust 2

https://i.imgur.com/WDBQB0a.mp4

If anybody wants to download this and hop around here are the files:

Quest: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/671854243510091795/766743204326015056/dust2gorilla.apk
PCVR (should work with everything, though I haven't tried it with SteamVR in a while): https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/671854243510091795/766743211980488755/Dust2NewLoco.zip

Nice, I will actually download this and check it out. Locomotion is fun to play with but also intimidating :sweatdrop:

Here's what I've got so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3eGTeRnMk

Trying to get the guns feeling 100% right, and then I can work on AI behaviors and building shoot-em-up levels.

Today I updated the clips to change color to red when empty, and improved the handling so you can toss clips between your hands or toss them from one hand into a gun. Just trying to sort the bug where they don't always align as they should :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

iron buns posted:

The orientarion is messed up

Disconnect and reconnect the cable. Face the way you want to be oriented, then enable the Link from the settings.

If you want to fix your orientarion without disconnecting, just 4x click the Oculus button on your right controller. This brings you back into the Quest OS. Then you press and hold the Oculus button to re-center your view, then resume Link.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just tried out Squadrons on the Quest 2, both via the official Link cable and Virtual Desktop, and I finally got the out of cockpit stuttering everyone has been experiencing. Otherwise looks great, but is pretty much unplayable until they get that fixed.

That said, I know now for certain that it works flawlessly on my Rift S. This whole time I've been secretly worried my vision or something had gone to poo poo somehow. No idea why it seemingly works great for some and not at all for others on similar setups. Hopefully they can get that fixed soon, because it is an absolute blast in VR.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Happyimp posted:

The two games that pop into my head for a vr remake are Condemned: Criminal Origins or Elebits.

Holy poo poo YES

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My friend just got a quest 2 and the link works fine via the Oculus App, but he can't get steam VR to run/steam won't recognize his headset. Just asking for him if there is some part of the setup he could have missed or some way to troubleshoot it. He says steam VR just launches in desktop/flat screen mode and chose "launch in Steam VR" doesn't help.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

alphabettitouretti posted:

Has anyone made a decent VR dungeon crawler yet, something like Ultima Underworld or Arx Fatalis?

Look into 'The mages tale' it's in the bards tale world, about 10 hours or more long, great visuals, and really emphasizes the dungeon exploration aspects with traps and secrets within secrets. No melee combat but you get to create spells with lots of different effects.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Give me a RTS in VR

Brass tactics is one of the few non early access type RTS that came out, and there's a game that just came out in early access where you command battles in space but I can't think of the name.

ishikabibble posted:

House of the Dead.

As a dumb gun nerd I just want games with good gunplay, focused around the gunplay and not shoot + move, and aren't weird janky things that play terribly on Index controllers like H3VR.

Closest I've seen to a classic light game is 'arctika.1' it's a shooter with lots of guns and upgrades, but no free movement you teleport around to set locations in a room so it forces you to really duck and use cover and focus on shooting like a light gun Game. It's also by the studio that did the Metro games so it looks fantastic.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Nice, I will actually download this and check it out. Locomotion is fun to play with but also intimidating :sweatdrop:

Here's what I've got so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3eGTeRnMk

Trying to get the guns feeling 100% right, and then I can work on AI behaviors and building shoot-em-up levels.

Today I updated the clips to change color to red when empty, and improved the handling so you can toss clips between your hands or toss them from one hand into a gun. Just trying to sort the bug where they don't always align as they should :|

Do you have previous game dev experience? This all looks super fantastic and polished. I'm still using the unity kyle robot and all my environments look like... this lmao

I really like that smooth, clean look

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I spent so many hours playing LETHAL ENFORCERS with a loving blue light gun for the sega CD. God drat that was the future!

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Nalin posted:

If you want to fix your orientarion without disconnecting, just 4x click the Oculus button on your right controller. This brings you back into the Quest OS. Then you press and hold the Oculus button to re-center your view, then resume Link.

I found that it doesn't always work. The orientation would stay the same, even after resuming the Link. Turning off the display off and back on by pressing the power button, then resuming Link seems to reset the orientation every time. I'll update the post.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Tom Guycot posted:

Brass tactics is one of the few non early access type RTS that came out, and there's a game that just came out in early access where you command battles in space but I can't think of the name.

That would be BattleGroup VR I'm fairly sure https://store.steampowered.com/app/1178780/BattleGroupVR/

It got mentioned earlier in the thread and it looks pretty interesting. I've not bought it myself as I'm generally pretty wary of getting anything in early access.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

veni veni veni posted:

What would be everyone's #1 series they'd want to see make it's way to VR? Dead Space for me.

perfect dark in vr would be cool. fly by wire rockets and chucking laptop guns.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Quest 2 seems to be selling very well.

Also, Sidequest was having some server issues earlier due to the sudden increase in traffic.

The holiday season is going to be interesting.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Enos Cabell posted:

Just tried out Squadrons on the Quest 2, both via the official Link cable and Virtual Desktop, and I finally got the out of cockpit stuttering everyone has been experiencing. Otherwise looks great, but is pretty much unplayable until they get that fixed.

That said, I know now for certain that it works flawlessly on my Rift S. This whole time I've been secretly worried my vision or something had gone to poo poo somehow. No idea why it seemingly works great for some and not at all for others on similar setups. Hopefully they can get that fixed soon, because it is an absolute blast in VR.

Yeah, when it works it's amazing. Too bad it's not working so good with my Quest 2.

Played a bunch of Acron:Attack of the Squirrels tonight with a group of family. We had a blast.
Being the tree and picking up those little booger squirrels and launching them off the map is excellent.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Give me a RTS in VR

Cosmic Trip is pretty cool but you can't win without fighting alongside your units, which confused me when I played it.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

veni veni veni posted:

My friend just got a quest 2 and the link works fine via the Oculus App, but he can't get steam VR to run/steam won't recognize his headset. Just asking for him if there is some part of the setup he could have missed or some way to troubleshoot it. He says steam VR just launches in desktop/flat screen mode and chose "launch in Steam VR" doesn't help.

Did he install the desktop Oculus program? That is needed to get the PC drivers and allow Steam to access the Quest.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Stormangel posted:

Did he install the desktop Oculus program? That is needed to get the PC drivers and allow Steam to access the Quest.

Also, you have to enable "Unknown Sources" in the Oculus desktop program too.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Got my Quest 2 today and what an experience. I feel like all my childhood dreams have been accomplished. This is my first headset since the DK2 and I've only briefly tried out other more modern ones. The increased resolution makes it so much better of an experience.

Holy poo poo Squadron is next level amazing. I've got it running just fine wirelessly over the virtual desktop since my link cable won't be in for a while. Glad I am not experiencing the problems others are.

Hell I even played Wasteland 3 on the virtual desktop with an xbox controller and it was great. I didn't expect that at all. I am going to have to get the elite strap because the battery life is not nearly enough. If you have it plugged in by the link cable does that also charge it or at least slow it down enough it doesn't drain as fast? Could I just plug the link cable into the charger and use it as a long charging cable while I actually link over wireless, does it work that way?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Another Goon enjoying his Quest 2 here. Besides everything else that's been said, I want to add that the zDoom port with the recommended mods kicks rear end.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

D-Pad posted:

If you have it plugged in by the link cable does that also charge it or at least slow it down enough it doesn't drain as fast? Could I just plug the link cable into the charger and use it as a long charging cable while I actually link over wireless, does it work that way?

I think it should work,yeah.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nalin posted:

Also, you have to enable "Unknown Sources" in the Oculus desktop program too.

Quoting because that's surely what he is missing.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

iron buns posted:

Quest 2 seems to be selling very well.

Also, Sidequest was having some server issues earlier due to the sudden increase in traffic.

The holiday season is going to be interesting.

I'm not shocked, I've been told to organise a Quest 2 and a bunch of accessories for my father in law for his Christmas present, pretty much just from a little exposure to VR through me & my Quest 1.

Seeing all these devs talk about the massive influx of sales/users is a very promising sign for the future, and really should light a fire under Apple/Samsung or whoever to produce their own standalone headsets to try and break Facebook's monopoly on the market

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Professor Wayne posted:

I would love to play some immersive sims like Dishonored in VR. Something like Metroid Prime would be cool, too.

Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Yeah Quest 2 is amazing. Feels like a paradigm shift forward IMO.

How can I tell if my router is good enough for wireless virtual desktop? I’m playing and things are mostly fine except for a moment here and there (which is nauseating). Maybe that’s the best it gets? Or is there some info I can look at to judge performance?

I’m setup on 5ghz and AC, but it’s the stock modem+router my ISP gave me.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

SCheeseman posted:

Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners

I tried it, but didn't get far. I hated the time limit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KTS posted:

I'm not shocked, I've been told to organise a Quest 2 and a bunch of accessories for my father in law for his Christmas present, pretty much just from a little exposure to VR through me & my Quest 1.

Seeing all these devs talk about the massive influx of sales/users is a very promising sign for the future, and really should light a fire under Apple/Samsung or whoever to produce their own standalone headsets to try and break Facebook's monopoly on the market

Apple's not the likely contender, as they seem intent on aiming for AR technology rather than VR to keep with the hip social marketing vibe. Samsung's been pretty drat mum about something VR-ish, but it looks to be another PC headset as far as their design patents infer. Sony could hypothetically make a standalone media headset that just happens to hook up to your PS5 (as well as maybe your PC) and absolutely gut Oculus' market share by getting a foot in the door with the professional space that Facebook wishes they could get their fingers into. They have experience with all the basic elements (standalone gaming hardware and VR, mobile devices, software, etc), it's a question of seeing what they wind up putting together.

Keep in mind that doing anything similar to the Oculus Quest would've likely started the moment the Quest itself was announced at the earliest, and that was only 18-odd months ago. Anything new from Samsung or Apple would likely be barely out of design and into early prototyping around now. At least one competitor is undoubtedly coming, but the Quest is such a paradigm-shift in the hardware that it's probably not gonna be seen until at least mid/late next year.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Professor Wayne posted:

I tried it, but didn't get far. I hated the time limit.

It bugged me at first, but it serves a purpose (as does the stamina meter which people complain about as well). It's just another resource to manage and becomes a non-factor once you start planning your runs. You don't have to loot every cupboard every time you enter a map.

Like most immersive sims it's easy to bounce off of initially and becomes far easier once you start understanding it's mechanics.

e: another tip, always reload from save after you die. I don't know why they let you do the MMORPG thing and loot your own corpse, it's a bit broken and wastes time.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 17, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If you have an Oculus account already, can you use that on a Quest 2?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gort posted:

If you have an Oculus account already, can you use that on a Quest 2?

Officially no, you have to merge it with a Facebook account. There is a workaround by using an old version of the Oculus smartphone app and a PiHole that has facebook domains blocked (but not during the entire setup process) blah blah it's a mess and probably not worth it.

From TigerHobbes on the VR Liberation Fund Discord:

quote:

hey guys,just found this channel from the robert lang tweet. so i believe i figured out how i was able to set up my quest 2 WITHOUT facebook, and i believe it's because i used an old version of the oculus app on my tablet. figured this out last night but had to sleep :o

long story short if you didn't hear already about it the other day or yesterday, I've had a quest 1 over a year, have oculus.com account and approved "dev" account (used a $1 single use privacy.com virtual CC which worked). NEVER EVER linked FB to anything cause i hate FB even tho i've had an old profile i no longer use.

i also have a pihole which i block FB domains, but i don't think that's what actually helped set up my quest 2 sans FB. plus you can test that out easily by just unplugging your wifi router :open_mouth: serves the same purpose by not letting the quest talk to home base.

got my quest 2 tuesday, went to set it up, had to disable pihole to allow the initial setup download to start, eventually got to the PAIR screen. I used my iphone 7plus which has the latest v77 of the oculus app, and was not able to pair. spent 10 minutes trying to figure it out. gave up, grabbed my amazon tablet fire 10, opened oculus app, clicked the pair icon which was for the quest 1 since my app wasn't updated, paired my quest 2, went to advanced settings, turned on dev mode, closed the app, my quest 2 finished all the setup, went to home environment and i was in ..... with no sign of FB whatsoever. never had any prompts to log into it.

talking with somebody on another channel last night made me realize that it's because of the old version of the oculus app i used. FB and oculus said we had to update our apps in order to pair, but that's not true, proven by me. I used v36.0.0.5.242 of the app, the newer versions are like v77.

those screenshots are from my iphone with v77 of the app showing that the FB login is forced when trying to pair.

the website shows my quest 2 attached to account, but oculus app doesn't since i paired it using very old app version.

at the moment i'm not sure why the app won't list it and the site does. so i'm glad i already turned dev mode on.

so the things i cannot do on my quest 2 sans FB seems to be casting, sharing, friends lists, etc. anything that is social and connected to FB, although I haven't tried just logging in afterwards cause i don't want to risk being stuck with it merged.

so far it seems like i can do anything else i used to on quest 1

any way, there it all is as far as i can think up until this point. so far i haven't heard of anybody able to do it other than myself, but a couple people from another discord are getting theirs delivered today so hopefully they can reproduce what i did

i think the only way you can prove what I did is for somebody else with a new quest 2 to set it up as i did. but, on the oculus website under my devices, there is an option to delete device data from your account. i think if you remove the device it will un-pair it, allowing you to go through the pairing setup again which might give you the option to then use the old app version to pair and not get trapped into the FB login using the newer app version.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 17, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I finished Saints and Sinners a few weeks ago and left with pretty mixed feelings. Felt like it was ambitious as VR title, with wildy mixed results. Sometimes it felt like it had some brilliant VR ideas, but at other times it just felt comically terrible to play. And the actual game behind all of that is mediocre at best.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The biggest complaint I have is the human NPC AI. It seems very simple and slapped together quickly, not a lot of fun to fight. I do enjoy the scavenging and melee combat a lot though and there's lots of ways to be creative. Single handed double barrel shotgun guy with ninja sword in the other hand may sound like a bad idea, but once you get used to how the weapon wobbles I was getting headshots 90% of the time and slicing heads off like a maniac.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

SCheeseman posted:

Officially no, you have to merge it with a Facebook account. There is a workaround by using an old version of the Oculus smartphone app and a PiHole that has facebook domains blocked (but not during the entire setup process) blah blah it's a mess and probably not worth it.

From TigerHobbes on the VR Liberation Fund Discord:

I don't think you have to do any of that.

I got my Quest 2 yesterday and downloaded the Oculus app for the first time and it asked me if I wanted to sign in with Facebook or an Oculus account, I chose Oculus account and then it warned me that I wouldn't be able to access social features.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Tenacious J posted:

Yeah Quest 2 is amazing. Feels like a paradigm shift forward IMO.

How can I tell if my router is good enough for wireless virtual desktop? I’m playing and things are mostly fine except for a moment here and there (which is nauseating). Maybe that’s the best it gets? Or is there some info I can look at to judge performance?

I’m setup on 5ghz and AC, but it’s the stock modem+router my ISP gave me.

The streamer app will tell you your latency, just peek at that to see what you're getting. I've been tweaking my settings and have it at a consistent 25-40ms latency in the games I've tested so far.
In the app itself I've got my VR Quality set to Low, and VR bitrate set to 80. My GPU is a 1660Ti and not something super high end though but I can't tell the difference between virtual desktop and using link.

Play with the settings, start with it all as high as it will go and then reduce them until you get a good result.

I'll be testing tonight to see if my new WiFi6 router makes any difference at all, see if I can bring the latency down more.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tip posted:

I don't think you have to do any of that.

I got my Quest 2 yesterday and downloaded the Oculus app for the first time and it asked me if I wanted to sign in with Facebook or an Oculus account, I chose Oculus account and then it warned me that I wouldn't be able to access social features.

Weird, I don't think it's supposed to.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Apple's not the likely contender, as they seem intent on aiming for AR technology rather than VR to keep with the hip social marketing vibe. Samsung's been pretty drat mum about something VR-ish, but it looks to be another PC headset as far as their design patents infer. Sony could hypothetically make a standalone media headset that just happens to hook up to your PS5 (as well as maybe your PC) and absolutely gut Oculus' market share by getting a foot in the door with the professional space that Facebook wishes they could get their fingers into. They have experience with all the basic elements (standalone gaming hardware and VR, mobile devices, software, etc), it's a question of seeing what they wind up putting together.

Keep in mind that doing anything similar to the Oculus Quest would've likely started the moment the Quest itself was announced at the earliest, and that was only 18-odd months ago. Anything new from Samsung or Apple would likely be barely out of design and into early prototyping around now. At least one competitor is undoubtedly coming, but the Quest is such a paradigm-shift in the hardware that it's probably not gonna be seen until at least mid/late next year.

no, they're going with ar because it has way bigger market potential for the time being. vr will get more popular as it gets more accessible, sure, but there's still going to be all the rest of the time you're not in vr, and they want to be able to capture that time with an overlay :V

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Anyone have opinions on the best place to get prescription lens inserts from?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Happyimp posted:

The two games that pop into my head for a vr remake are Condemned: Criminal Origins or Elebits.

For the sidequest recommendation earlier. Don't do the half-life one until they fix the quest 2 version. The fov is bad and warps when you turn your head. The doom one works great though.

These are the two most disparate deep cuts I've ever seen paired together.

You can get halfway to Condemned with Blade and Sorcery by using a mafia weapons mod to get a baseball bat, loading one of the custom cyberpunk map levels, and then leading the AI into an alleyway and going nuts on them.

Would love to play the mannequin mall level from condemned in VR though...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol the original founder of oculus is putting up money for a quest 2 jailbreak now

https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/1317210338480197632

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

repiv posted:

lol the original founder of oculus is putting up money for a quest 2 jailbreak now

https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/1317210338480197632

I believe he is close to being a literal billionaire now, so this would be the equivalent of a millionaire offering a fiver for it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Palmer Lucky surely has a contract clause from the sale that his tweet is in violation of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm doubtful Sony will do something exciting like that, only because whatever they're working on would have started development before the quest was a success. It feels like no one was taking the idea of stand alone sets seriously, as the only things released were pretty lukewarm, lacking features, good prices, and expensive or mostly for business.

Even after the quest had been a mild success you haven't really heard that much about people jumping in. Google cancelled daydream, Vive focus, and Pico are still just puttering around trade shows and some business use, and no one has still announced anything new.

Maybe people are working on something now, but the possible companies are limited. Google could have taken advantage but they already cancelled daydream. Microsoft has inside out stuff but they don't seem to care about much beyond what builds up windows or Xbox. Sony could but they're probably too far along in psvr2 development.

I'm not sure who the players would be to step in until it's way bigger