Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nazis probably don't have a problem with potatoes seeing as they came to Europe as the spoils of empire or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The criteria was "originally from nonwhite countries" for which both tomatoes and potatoes would qualify. If you go back far enough everything would qualify, but even if we're talking the last millennium, potatoes are from a nonwhite country. The kind of dipshit who's liable to care also seems liable to come up with some flimsy excuse for why X thing is fine when they're pressed, though.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Elysiume posted:

The criteria was "originally from nonwhite countries" for which both tomatoes and potatoes would qualify. If you go back far enough everything would qualify, but even if we're talking the last millennium, potatoes are from a nonwhite country. The kind of dipshit who's liable to care also seems liable to come up with some flimsy excuse for why X thing is fine when they're pressed, though.

Not true. They can have kale and that rotten shark Icelanders feed to tourists.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Darn, I’m going to have to serious post to defend my skills. British food being bad is french propaganda that originated in the pre-revolution era.

We had a problem after the Romans left whereby our trade with outsiders absolutely and completely broke down to the point where there was no currency for hundreds of years. We get invaded by the vikings and then immediately make up for lost time with the import of spices to the point where it could be called a national obsession to this day.

The french however built their capital city in the wrong place and the aristocracy turned all the fertile land round it into vineyards. This meant meat and fish was pretty much rotten by the time it got to the city and then navigated through the packed streets. Their solution was to invent marinades and sauces that would hide the rotten meat, as the British didn’t need to do this and would serve meat just lightly dry spiced. Made sense for the french government to push the lie that french cooking was awesome look at the plain English food haw haw in case the general population looked at the champagne region and went “hang on why are there not sheep on here”

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Skwirl posted:

My understanding was that what passes for 'authentic British food' in Britain was pretty terrible too.

When I think British food I think English breakfast, Sunday roasts, meat pies, cottage pie, Eton mess, scones with Jersey cream and jam etc. When I see Americans talk about British food they bring up stuff like jellied eels, a dish which I don't know a single person who's even seen it let alone tried it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There’s a pie and mash shop in Walworth near Burgess park if you are absolutely desperate to try them
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d733562-Reviews-Arment_WJ_Son_Pie_Mash_Eel_House-London_England.html

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah the whole thing about British food being “bad” seems to be more about British food being “basic”.

Like “here’s some easily prepared things that we threw onto a plate, now eat it” but basic poo poo like that usually suits my palate more so... v:shobon:v

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

The American view on British food was probably formed from GI’s posted to UK during WWII. So basic rationed food.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Mega Comrade posted:

When I see Americans talk about British food they bring up stuff like jellied eels, a dish which I don't know a single person who's even seen it let alone tried it.

I like jellied eels :( wouldn't say they are that obscure, at least in London - you can get them in any pie & mash shop

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The American view on British food was probably formed from GI’s posted to UK during WWII. So basic rationed food.

This probably also combines with the fact that Americans going on holiday to Britain are... well, probably not the most adventurous. Which leads to a bit of a selection bias; the Americans going for British food are expecting something fairly comfortable, and they get something fairly comfortable, because fairly basic but tasty food is plentiful in Britain.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
British food includes a concerning degree of ambiguity as to what constitutes pudding

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Speaking as an atheist, I think Christmas is great and we go for it in a big way, tree, turkey, presents, cards, cake, family, decorations. Just none of the churchy stuff.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Cleretic posted:

This probably also combines with the fact that Americans going on holiday to Britain are... well, probably not the most adventurous. Which leads to a bit of a selection bias; the Americans going for British food are expecting something fairly comfortable, and they get something fairly comfortable, because fairly basic but tasty food is plentiful in Britain.

Problem is that what is served up in most pub restaurants tourists are going to be eating comes frozen off the back of lorry. What is served up in spoons and bass pubs is utter shite in comparison to what we make at home. I get this food box every two weeks and it’s the definition of British food https://www.morrisons.com/food-boxes/box/british-food-subscription-box

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

learnincurve posted:

There’s a pie and mash shop in Walworth near Burgess park if you are absolutely desperate to try them
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d733562-Reviews-Arment_WJ_Son_Pie_Mash_Eel_House-London_England.html

I watched an American travel show in a hotel years ago that was on London. They went to one of these pie and mash shops as "this is what British people eat" but didn't go to Burough market which is a few stops away. (if you're a foodie and in London you should go to Burough market!)

nurmie posted:

I like jellied eels :( wouldn't say they are that obscure, at least in London - you can get them in any pie & mash shop

Pie and mash shops are mostly a London thing yeah. Outside at best you get a pukka pie stand in a fish and chip shop. Definitely no loving eels.

Elysiume posted:

British food includes a concerning degree of ambiguity as to what constitutes pudding

The greatest of puddings

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Oct 17, 2020

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
A lot of British food that gets bought up on here is the most basic/awful British food. Plenty of awful American food too guys.

When I went to the states I mainly got the impression of quantity over quality. I had some really good stuff sure, but you get good stuff anywhere in the world. I did find a lot of the food far too sweet, though. So I guess if you're used to that and go anywhere else maybe it'll taste a bit bland.

Jealous of the amount of proper/good Mexican food places you guys have though. (though that's not exactly American - if you guys can claim that the Brits can sure claim a shed load of curries).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eels are more or less exclusively a london thing and I have never even seen one much less ate one.

British food is like, roasted everything, stewed everything, like you take good veg and meat and either roast it or boil it all up together in a big pot with some salt and pepper and maybe stuff like rosemary and other stuff that grows over here, until it tastes great. It's often very heavy but god drat does it sort you out. Maybe stuff it in a pastry case too.

Like interesting foreign spiced concoctions are nice too, but so is just letting the food do the work for you.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Oct 17, 2020

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
British food is delicious but there's a chance I think that because Polish food is mostly flour objects, lard, and cabbage, in various configurations

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mega Comrade posted:

Pie and mash shops are mostly a London thing yeah. Outside at best you get a pukka pie stand in a fish and chip shop. Definitely no loving eels.

you have to leave london to find such local delicacies as the babbies yed with pey wet, or maybe a wigan slappy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Capt.Whorebags posted:

This is similar to where I suspect the pervasive decades-old meme of "Mexican food gives you diarrhea" comes from: boomers on spring break going to Tijuana in like the 60s and drinking local water.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Darn, I’m going to have to serious post to defend my skills. British food being bad is french propaganda that originated in the pre-revolution era.

Actually my experience of British food being bad is from eating it

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

OwlFancier posted:

Like interesting foreign spiced concoctions are nice too, but so is just letting the food do the work for you.
THIS. So many of my friends won’t accept “good” food unless it’s been seasoned and spiced so much that you don’t know what the original food even was any more. If the basics aren’t tasty on their own then you’re not making good food, you’re just polishing a turd.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

goblin week posted:

British food is delicious but there's a chance I think that because Polish food is mostly flour objects, lard, and cabbage, in various configurations

Oddly I found Polish restaurants tastier that British ones when I lived in Britain.

English breakfasts are very good, however, and if there was a place that served them with :911:-style buttermilk pancakes I'd be in heaven.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 14:08 on Oct 17, 2020

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

A great British restaurant we like serves incredible Michelin-star food like this:

and because of the coronavirus shutdowns impacting their business has started doing restaurant-quality takeaways. There's nothing wrong with pie and chips, but there's a lot of awesome british food out there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that place is called "scotland" because that's also a scotch pancake.

And they'll do you a tattie scone too.

I take it back british food is cursed.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwirl posted:

Not the op, but I do want to concur that he's not a Nazi, but he is a huge loving idiot.

This is true, if memory serves handset is one of the folk that Kramered into a trans thread to go "HURR BUT WHAT ABOUT *REAL WOMENS* RIGHTS HUH???" or something equally stupid to warrant just ignoring. Relatedly you're going to see it, so don't bother replying handset because lmao I ain't reading it you utter eggplant.

E - back on topic. It's always hilarious to see just how utterly loving boring the nazi chuds are with their tastes.
And for some actual content
Antoons got suspended from twitter. He's one of the 'stonetoss redpanel sphere of influence' fash comic folks. It's likely he got suspended for repeatedly harassing a trans POC youth. And also stealing character designs from several other leftist creators to "fair use" them in an abusive "game" project.

Mercedes Colomar has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Oct 17, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

luxury handset posted:

i'm just pointing out where evidence leads. if you see nazis everywhere you look then i beg you to remove all the mirrors from your home

Laughing at you very much and not in the way you wanted when you wrote this troll post

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Stoatbringer posted:

A great British restaurant we like serves incredible Michelin-star food like this:

Where’s the rest of it? That’s a mighty big plate for all the food that’s actually on it.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
british and french food are bad. :smaug:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

French toast and french fries rule p. hard, there, bud

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
French fries are just naked poutine

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
The French know cakes and pastries though. The receptionist at my job is French and I always negotiate a rum cake from her for special favors.

I still think it's some kind of magic that makes the cake the most dense object in existence while also being the fluffiest. Time and space hold no bounds within the rum cake.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s from an Atlantic article about why Lauren Southern disappeared that was just “She found out literally every alt-right guy around her hated women and wanted to rape her”

drat. This should be cross-posted in the schadenfreude thread.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

StillFullyTerrible posted:

"All food is bad" I scoff through my mouthful of liver milkshake.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

"All food is bad" I scoff through my mouthful of liver milkshake.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xtal posted:

French fries are just naked poutine
Well they are french

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Where’s the rest of it? That’s a mighty big plate for all the food that’s actually on it.

Then I'd normally ask for a big portion of chips and ketchup to dump on it.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

OK, first, no-one has even mentioned how amazing British fish and chip shops are. Here's one near me and its amazing.

Second, here's some idiocy on British social media.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Is a cod's scallops like the bee's knees?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is a pune on the phrase "dog's bollocks" which yes, means the same thing as bees knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is the term "virtue signalling" ever used by anyone who isn't an rear end in a top hat, or is it always shorthand for "I'm a massive bigot and think everyone is secretly like me"?