Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Only a bit, we don't have those Maskless MAGAs but we still hosed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

An informative post, filled with equal measures humor, terror and depression

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Nebalebadingdong posted:

filled with equal measures humor, terror and depression

That's what's it's like here on a good day.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So does that special corona powers bill have limits.

The Knesset can vote to overturn the decrees sure, but is there anything stopping Netanyahu from just ordering the Knesset to close or banning the political parties that would vote against

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

So does that special corona powers bill have limits.

The Knesset can vote to overturn the decrees sure, but is there anything stopping Netanyahu from just ordering the Knesset to close or banning the political parties that would vote against

The covid measures would automatically expire after one week unless affirmed by a vote by either specific Knesset committees or the entire Knesset.

The current legislation is a temporary placeholder bill that ends next month, but they're already working on a longer-term replacement. The replacement bill seems largely equivalent, with a few major changes: it adds in a 24-hour delay period before the government decrees take effect (to give the Knesset a chance to vote them down before they're implemented), it removes the Coronavirus committee from the list of Knesset committees that have the power to vote on these decrees (essentially stripping that committee of any real power), and it allows the government's covid decrees to stay in effect for a full four weeks without a Knesset "yes" vote confirming them.

There's also a bunch of little details and restrictions on what the government can order (for example, it can't close down religious services, and it requires at least a 72-hour warning before closure orders on businesses take effect), but the English-language reporting isn't really comprehensive on those little bits and my Hebrew is way too rudimentary for me to even try. My guess is that the law doesn't explicitly say "Bibi, don't take the rope we gave you and hang us with it", but if he did then it'd probably go to the courts, who don't really like him enough to back him if it comes down to a constitutional crisis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1287104682750554116

I had to look this up for context, but I guess this is a protest against Bibi for loving up the virus response

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

also these two paragraphs from an NYT article about what is going on in Israel are giving me a headache already at the thought-

quote:

Political analysts say that fear of a possible future Supreme Court ruling calling on him to suspend himself from office is driving Mr. Netanyahu to consider engineering a fourth election as early as November, in the hope of winning enough of a majority to grant him some immunity from prosecution.

A budget dispute between Mr. Netanyahu and Mr. Gantz could offer a pretext. Mr. Gantz is insisting on a two-year budget, in line with their coalition agreement, while Mr. Netanyahu is insisting on a single-year budget. Without an agreement by an Aug. 25 deadline Parliament will automatically disperse, sending an election-weary populace back to the ballot box three months later.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

FlamingLiberal posted:

also these two paragraphs from an NYT article about what is going on in Israel are giving me a headache already at the thought-

i'm assuming if bibi does force a new election it'll render all of the promises of sinecure positions in future governments for gantz and his handpicked supporters moot?

almost as if it was an incredibly stupid decision

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hmm it seems like Netanyahu never planned on honoring his agreements with Gantz. Who could have expected this?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anecdotal data about the virus response an opening schools - two of our employees (from different parts of the country) are in quarantine because their children's teacher caught the virus, and another's teenage daughter was diagnosed last month (not symptoms, apparently)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xander77 posted:

(from different parts of the country)

lol what does this mean effectively

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

i say swears online posted:

lol what does this mean effectively
That it's not just teachers in a specific school \ town who are getting sick?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xander77 posted:

That it's not just teachers in a specific school \ town who are getting sick?

my local tv station has a bigger broadcast area, we can see infection rate by zip code but there's probably 60,000 people in each. I just didnt know if israel is broken up into districts; it took me like 30 minutes to drive across it the last time I was there

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1295730073178460161?s=21

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

you can use fuel to make fire. That makes it a terrorist instrument with no legitimate civilian uses. Just like cement, power tools, bricks, medicine, etc.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Drone_Fragger posted:

you can use fuel to make fire. That makes it a terrorist instrument with no legitimate civilian uses. Just like cement, power tools, bricks, medicine, etc.

Also food. You see if we give food to Palestinians they may throw it at us and force us to pull a full week of indiscriminate bombing sorties

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont know if here is the right place for this, sorry if it inst

But what the hell is going on here

https://twitter.com/FBIRecordsVault/status/1296144912497352705

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont know if here is the right place for this, sorry if it inst

But what the hell is going on here

https://twitter.com/FBIRecordsVault/status/1296144912497352705

It's not unprompted, apparently the FBI vault just automatically tweets whatever people request apparently. So it's not nazis just enabling nazis, much much better

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not unprompted, apparently the FBI vault just automatically tweets whatever people request apparently. So it's not nazis just enabling nazis, much much better

I see. Thanks

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Israel launches air attacks at Hezbollah posts on Lebanon border

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...aX4Jn8FbUciikiY

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Goddamn it.

Also, Those UNIFIL guys must be all jaded and hard drinking from their thankless task.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I don't follow I/P stuff much these days, what effects are people thinking the peace deals are going to have on the conflict and the Palestinians?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

-Blackadder- posted:

I don't follow I/P stuff much these days, what effects are people thinking the peace deals are going to have on the conflict and the Palestinians?

No change to the status quo, which is why Israel agrees to them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's basically just something that makes Israel look good, at least in theory. It's not going to have much effect either way.

Nothing's going to change regarding I/P any time soon because even if Biden is president, he's already said he will leave the US Embassy in Jerusalem and his people are very pro-Israel so they're not going to stop the West Bank annexation.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Back in the day, someone in this thread linked to a list air-piracy acts by Israel - specifically, forcing a plane to land sometime in the late 40's \ early 50's.

Can't seem to google it right now - any idea what I'm talking about?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Not a huge surprise here

https://twitter.com/martin_indyk/status/1317040100795187201?s=21

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I await any justification for this.

And people wonder why USA Jews are turning against Israeli leaders.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

And people wonder why USA Jews are turning against Israeli leaders.

The usual justification is to claim that the Palestinians are lying to the press about the purpose of the building, and that the sympathetic purpose is nothing more than a false story concocted to make Israel look bad when it demolishes the structure. After that, it comes down to who you believe more - the Palestinian owners and officials on the ground who say it was a clinic, or the Israeli government officials who say that the owners and officials totally told them it was really a car dealership.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

VideoGameVet posted:

They didn't have a permit.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Main Paineframe posted:

The usual justification is to claim that the Palestinians are lying to the press about the purpose of the building, and that the sympathetic purpose is nothing more than a false story concocted to make Israel look bad when it demolishes the structure. After that, it comes down to who you believe more - the Palestinian owners and officials on the ground who say it was a clinic, or the Israeli government officials who say that the owners and officials totally told them it was really a car dealership.

I found a couple of the stories claiming the place was actually a car dealership. Or, to be precise, it was originally intended to be a car dealership, but was recently repurposed to be a testing clinic (perhaps to avoid being demolished). So yeah, still reprehensible.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Conspiratiorist posted:

They didn't have a permit.

Everyone is always bugging Israel about illegal settlements in the Jordan bank, so they take a very harsh stance on demolishing any and all illegal buildings there ASAP.

Of course, "illegal" is defined in Israel as "Palestinian-owned".

Speaking of:

https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters...nt-expansion_en

quote:

The period from March to August 2020 also saw a spike in demolitions or confiscations of Palestinian-owned structures in the West Bank in spite of the COVID-19 pandemic.

See? They're ramping up their campaign of destroying every "illegal" (i.e., Palestinian-owned) building as much as they possibly can. What more can you ask of them?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
So my only source of I/P news is this thread, people were saying there was a budget fight between Bibi and Gantz's factions, and a separate fight about conversion therapy between the religious hardliners and Gantz's faction, did either of those develop into anything more meaningful? Have the charges against Bibi moved forward at all? Is there any sort of public polling about the govt response to COVID-19 or anything of that ilk to go on? It's always weird when this thread bobs to the first page and I catch up on 2-3 pages posted over the course of 3-5 months, so if people can clue me in I'd appreciate it

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I'm outta the loop except my friend was just protesting against netanyahu in jaffa a week or two ago. loved to see it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Netanyahu will rule until his death, upon which he'll be successed by his son Yair.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Netanyahu will rule until his death, upon which he'll be successed by his son Yair.

Impossible since Yair is dogged by rumours that his girlfriend isn’t actually Jewish, which in a first would country wouldnt even be news but in Israel is enough to make the rabbinate poo poo their collective pants with rage and threaten some kind of actions over it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s always weird when Yair posts stuff about (((globalists)))

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Drone_Fragger posted:

Impossible since Yair is dogged by rumours that his girlfriend isn’t actually Jewish, which in a first would country wouldnt even be news but in Israel is enough to make the rabbinate poo poo their collective pants with rage and threaten some kind of actions over it.

I'm sure he can smooth things over if he promises to oppress Palestinians even more.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

No, when it comes to the religious authorities here it's nearly always about money and political power (which translates to more money)
They're nice and predictable this way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pompeo is trying to help Israel out by getting the State Department to label several large human rights NGOs 'anti-Semitic'

https://twitter.com/nahaltoosi/status/1319003340714483713

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Conservative Christian evangelicals in America convincing a big chunk of the country that not supporting Israel's government is anti Semitic was one of their greatest cons.

https://twitter.com/MaraWilson/status/1314028649708830720?s=19

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 22, 2020