Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Cheers for that. Any pointers on what i should set the auto resets at for the different buildings and Ants?

It literally doesn't matter after 10 seconds. Reset whenever you want. With ants, it usually makes sense to reset when the rate at which it slows down going up orders of magnitude becomes noticeable. 5 or 10 minutes usually works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kin posted:

Cheers for that. Any pointers on what i should set the auto resets at for the different buildings and Ants?

Prestige: turn it off.

Transcension: turn it off.

Reincarnation: few hours maybe? Or if ant sac's already eclipsed the offerings/obtainium you get from reincarnating, leave this one off too, except when you're deliberately pushing challenges/particles. (One of the ant-crumb achievement rewards gives you ant speed for longer reincarnations, so all else being equal, you want to leave the R running in order to take advantage of that.)

Ant sacrifice: 15 minutes is a good rule of thumb at this point. Definitely not less than 10 seconds, but time scales linearly after that. You want to make sure it gets to at least the highest tier of ant you can get (probably 7 at e100 or 8 at e300 for you), and that it settles down from its super-speedy spam after hitting that breakpoint. Beyond that, shorter runs are better for compounding the multiplier and long-term ant improvement, but longer runs are better for ELO and the associated sacrifice rewards (read: better for upgrading your talismans).

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Vil posted:

and make sure they're specced for +dupe, +thrift, +SI (aka 2/4/5). Do a respec-all to swap to 1/2/4 temporarily when pushing challenges or particles, then swap back to 2/4/5 when you're back in "let ants do their thing" mode. Most of your progress at this point is going to come from ant sacrifices to raise Ant Multiplier (and by extension the Ant ELO you'd get for a reasonable duration sacrifice).

is it not better for 1/3/5 for ant progression and sacrifice reward?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Voxx posted:

is it not better for 1/3/5 for ant progression and sacrifice reward?

It was, back when blessings were tied to rune levels, so 1/3/5 would activate the respective blessings. With the recent big patch, blessings are a separate offerings investment that apply regardless of which runes are getting boosted, so talisman specs are just rune-only. (RIP prism's day in the sun.)

Very long term, well into ascension-land, you swap to 1/2/5 and just leave it there forever, but in the meantime it's 2/4/5 for long-term growth and 1/2/4 for short-term pushes.

On a related note, I don't know when/how blessings unlock these days, but throw offerings at them too when you can. Cost scales upward depending on levels so spread the love to all five rather than going nuts on a single one.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Been really enjoying Another Chronicle, thanks thread.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Vil posted:

It was, back when blessings were tied to rune levels, so 1/3/5 would activate the respective blessings. With the recent big patch, blessings are a separate offerings investment that apply regardless of which runes are getting boosted, so talisman specs are just rune-only. (RIP prism's day in the sun.)

drat, OK. the notes weren't 100% clear on that to me, just mentioning rune levels being in the blessing effect calc. I understand now that added rune levels don't count for that, only base levels.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Another Chronicle : how do the level / temp level / efficiency numbers work on the ??? tab?

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

xiw posted:

Another Chronicle : how do the level / temp level / efficiency numbers work on the ??? tab?
Level is your total number of temp levels gained across all dark rituals and your actual bonus.
Temp levels are levels gained this particular dark ritual.
Efficiency is a multiplier to satiety gain to encourage you to eat different things.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

How does satiety work, exactly? I've had it at 100% but I can still eat and gain bonuses and the multiplier seems to still be going up. Is it just a dip in how well it works?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
As far as i can tell all satiety does is make it easier to get a bigger dark ritual multiplier as it raises. All the bonuses keep ticking along though and the only limiter is that during a dark ritual cycle each time you get a bonus from food the next for the same bonus increases requirements by one. This resets after said dark ritual so you'll quickly get a load of bonus stats while doing short ritual resets for the inspiration.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Cool I got to rank 30+ and played with Will for a while to try and get myself over the rocky road barrier but looks like food spam's the correct path instead.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Synergism 2.0.5: how do you beat challenge 8? I've totally stalled. I've completed all researches, all regular challenges, I've got the other green challenges up to 17 and 13, and all my runes are in the 300-500 range. Particles are the only thing that seem to be making progress; I'm up to e560, and it's slow going. Is there some trick I'm missing?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Krazyface posted:

Synergism 2.0.5: how do you beat challenge 8? I've totally stalled. I've completed all researches, all regular challenges, I've got the other green challenges up to 17 and 13, and all my runes are in the 300-500 range. Particles are the only thing that seem to be making progress; I'm up to e560, and it's slow going. Is there some trick I'm missing?

You need around e800 particles for C8. Keep pushing runes; duplication and thrift reduce taxes which will help push particles.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think I got C8 significantly before that many particles, which was annoying because I then had to sit around grinding particles before I could actually start using the feature it unlocked.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Complicated synergism stuff

Vil posted:

Complicated synergism stuff

Welp i am not cut out for this game.

I'll admit i have tunnel visioned shorter runs the last few days and forgotten there are some challenges to do so i spent an evening on trying to get to C12. I stall out at C11x4 so im not quite ready for C12, but the extra boosts from C11 helped shorten the runs.
I also added a few corruptions, 6 of Corr6 to be exact. (i added 1 by 1 and watched it for a few runs, when i got to #7 the runs took longer time). This bumped up my cubes/sec decently. I picked Corr6 as i seem to recall reading that that is the easiest one. Is the correct method to add more of the same corruption or instead add points to the other easy corruptions?

I never see anyone talk about ant sacrifice timer. What should that be at? My runs take about 25s now and ant sac is 15s. I guess it makes more sense to take it to 11 or 12 so i get 2 sacrifices before an ascension? Maybe this bumps me up another C10 completion (Im ascending at 4 now)

What about auto challenges? I see 0/0.55/0 mentioned several places. I get the best results currently with 0/0.55/1. I overheard a discussion on discord yesterday where someone trying to get to C12 was advised to use 1/0.55/0. :confused:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

Welp i am not cut out for this game.

I'll admit i have tunnel visioned shorter runs the last few days and forgotten there are some challenges to do so i spent an evening on trying to get to C12. I stall out at C11x4 so im not quite ready for C12, but the extra boosts from C11 helped shorten the runs.
I also added a few corruptions, 6 of Corr6 to be exact. (i added 1 by 1 and watched it for a few runs, when i got to #7 the runs took longer time). This bumped up my cubes/sec decently. I picked Corr6 as i seem to recall reading that that is the easiest one. Is the correct method to add more of the same corruption or instead add points to the other easy corruptions?

I never see anyone talk about ant sacrifice timer. What should that be at? My runs take about 25s now and ant sac is 15s. I guess it makes more sense to take it to 11 or 12 so i get 2 sacrifices before an ascension? Maybe this bumps me up another C10 completion (Im ascending at 4 now)

What about auto challenges? I see 0/0.55/0 mentioned several places. I get the best results currently with 0/0.55/1. I overheard a discussion on discord yesterday where someone trying to get to C12 was advised to use 1/0.55/0. :confused:

Eh, you're at the point where you can play around and still make progress. Not optimally necessarily, but you have options.

I turned off ant sacrifice entirely when I was doing rapid auto-ascends. You want to ascend in the first sweep of challenges if possible.

The diamond corruption is an easy one. So are the first two. You want to stay away from hyperchallenged and spacial dilation for sure for now. Drought and scientific illiteracy might be usable as well, especially drought -- you won't be getting a ton of offerings anyway. That all changes later on, of course.

In general, you want to go wide rather than deep with corruptions. Going from 0->1 is the biggest leap in benefit, and the smallest leap in challenge. 1->2 gives less and is harder, and so on. Dropping two corruptions from level 10 to 9 so you can go 0->1 in something else will generally be a bigger benefit.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 14, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New layer in Distance Incremental for anyone still keeping up with it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How much content is in Another Chronicle? I had fun for a day or two but the pacing is excruciatingly bad to the point that I can't figure out if I'm almost done or barely getting started.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Omi no Kami posted:

How much content is in Another Chronicle? I had fun for a day or two but the pacing is excruciatingly bad to the point that I can't figure out if I'm almost done or barely getting started.

There are 6 or 7 areas with 2 combat zones and a boss each. You can expect to hit rank 40 and dark ritual dozens of times before clearing it (and reincarnating). My first save backup was 9/26 so yeah call it 2 weeks to clear the content? If the pacing is your problem it doesn't really get better. The hard minimum of 1 hour on rebirths means you can never really slam out a bunch of Inspiration. On the other hand, once you unlock eating food for stats, you get the ability to auto-eat food shortly after (from an achievement), and you can camp on bosses to make better idle progress on the stats you need to clear hurdles. The first reincarnation unlocks the ability to automate actions and gives significant boosts to Destiny cap and regen, so subsequent runs are much faster.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

SynthesisAlpha posted:

There are 6 or 7 areas with 2 combat zones and a boss each. You can expect to hit rank 40 and dark ritual dozens of times before clearing it (and reincarnating). My first save backup was 9/26 so yeah call it 2 weeks to clear the content? If the pacing is your problem it doesn't really get better. The hard minimum of 1 hour on rebirths means you can never really slam out a bunch of Inspiration. On the other hand, once you unlock eating food for stats, you get the ability to auto-eat food shortly after (from an achievement), and you can camp on bosses to make better idle progress on the stats you need to clear hurdles. The first reincarnation unlocks the ability to automate actions and gives significant boosts to Destiny cap and regen, so subsequent runs are much faster.

Oh neato, thanks! I'll probably keep it running then- I was mainly concerned I was scratching at something calibrated to take months/years of incremental (heh) progress. :)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Is Another Chronicle available on something other than Kongregate yet? Kongregate being terribly optimised means it ran like poo poo despite there being no reason for it, and even when I made sure to save it for offline gains not only did it not give me that, it actively lost several hours of online progress. Kinda killed any possible interest for me until it finally got a decent mirror.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Alright, i went wider, swapping from entirely 4x Corr6 to 5 different ones. A slight bump in cubes/sec.
The biggest bump was from going down to 1 C11 completion, i got there in 1 sweep.

The cubes i got overnight let me complete C12, 4 completions even.
Was expecting a large bump in cubes/sec but no matter what i do i can't get more than what i had before completing C12. The only difference is that i get the same cubes/sec regarless of the length of the run.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The benefits to C12 are all non-immediate:
- Like other ascension challenges, it unlocks 15 researches, of which 3 are permanent red-border ones.
- More obtainium to make it easier to afford said researches, as well as talisman shards (*).
- Unlocks spirits, which are like blessings that dynamically scale with corruptions (read: they're not as lovely as they seem at first).
- More offerings to make it easier to afford said spirits, along with blessings, runes, and talisman shards (*).
- Perhaps most importantly, every cube you open now counts as multiple cubes.
-- Plus some researches help with that too: if you can swing it, wait on opening cubes until you're in a run where you've maxed r7x18.

(*) On that note, see how talisman enhancing/fortifying goes if you occasionally throw 10% of your resources at each of the talisman shards, rather than waiting for ant sacrifice to provide them directly.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
What's the new hotness if i'm looking for an idle game with a faster progression than NGU or similar?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Distance Incremental and Prestige Tree are both fast paced, very little downtime and progress largely based on how active you are (particularly Prestige Tree)

Synergism has decently fast progress and a ton of things to do, prestige layers and automation to unlock. If you enjoy unlocking things this is probably the best game atm. The game slows down around the second-to-last prestige layer though

Antimatter Dimensions is a bit slow start but opens up a lot. Multiple layers of prestige and a ton of challenges to figure out. Once you get towards the mid/endgame of the 3rd prestige layer everything gets so complicated i lost interest. You need to have a PhD in math to know what the only possible route to complete a challenge is.

Vil posted:

The benefits to C12 are all non-immediate:
- Like other ascension challenges, it unlocks 15 researches, of which 3 are permanent red-border ones.
- More obtainium to make it easier to afford said researches, as well as talisman shards (*).
- Unlocks spirits, which are like blessings that dynamically scale with corruptions (read: they're not as lovely as they seem at first).
- More offerings to make it easier to afford said spirits, along with blessings, runes, and talisman shards (*).
Aye, i got the new red bordered researches. Im surprised how fast i got to e32 obt when i had no corruptions running

Vil posted:

- Perhaps most importantly, every cube you open now counts as multiple cubes.
-- Plus some researches help with that too: if you can swing it, wait on opening cubes until you're in a run where you've maxed r7x18.
Your runs last that long? I barely get to e20 obt before i reset. I guess i need C13 and C14 which would quadruple my cubes-based-on-time/sec from what i gather?

Vil posted:

(*) On that note, see how talisman enhancing/fortifying goes if you occasionally throw 10% of your resources at each of the talisman shards, rather than waiting for ant sacrifice to provide them directly.
Not sure what you mean here

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 16, 2020

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ineptitude posted:

Your runs last that long? I barely get to e20 obt before i reset.

The idea is that every so often you do one extremely long run to get to all the "when you open tesseracts/hypercubes, etc." researches and then open all your poo poo in one go.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Grim Clicker on Steam plays a lot like Clicker Heroes with weapons instead of different characters- you're running left to right, your guy comes up to monsters and fights them, and your main incremental stat is your damage per second. It really rewards active play- you can sit back and let it go for awhile, but if you're able to play actively it's probably better to rebirth, buy upgrades, and get back at it.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Feel a bit stuck in AC; Just finished the Purification Slime fight but I'm not sure what to do next. Notably, no real way to get the 0.3 movement needed to do the Slums stuff. Did I sequence myself into a bricked position? Do I need to just do a long stats grind for some of the Torunaments?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I bounced off of Another Chronicle. I love the RPG/stats progression motif but man it was both super grindy and required an absurd amount of babysitting.

Anything else that's in that vein but... better?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
In Synergism, how many talisman's are there? I've got 4 but they're spaced apart, two on each side, with obvious room for two more in the middle. However by this point I'm on my second ascension and there doesn't appear to be any more to get.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

nessin posted:

In Synergism, how many talisman's are there? I've got 4 but they're spaced apart, two on each side, with obvious room for two more in the middle. However by this point I'm on my second ascension and there doesn't appear to be any more to get.

Seven total. One each from 25 completions of C6-C10, one from ants, and one from the quark shop.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dragongem posted:

I bounced off of Another Chronicle. I love the RPG/stats progression motif but man it was both super grindy and required an absurd amount of babysitting.

Anything else that's in that vein but... better?

Arcanum/Theory of Magic maybe, if you haven't played that already.

https://www.lerpinglemur.com/arcanum/

It's not being developed anymore, but that should be the most recent stable build.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

nessin posted:

they comes much later, from getting 25 completions on some of the challenges, you can see which ones on the achievements tab

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Dragongem posted:

I share the sentiment, and also found that outside of some crossroad choices in the story, there is only one correct way to progress.

The Fool posted:

Arcanum/Theory of Magic maybe, if you haven't played that already.

https://www.lerpinglemur.com/arcanum/

It's not being developed anymore, but that should be the most recent stable build.

There is more recent version developed by another developer after original stopped.

https://shokkuno.gitlab.io/arcanum/

This game too, suffers from needing babysitting and clicking being super useful mechanic through the game.

And, ironically enough, kinda opposite of Another Chronicle, as sometimes there is too many ways to progress.

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 16, 2020

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Not sure what you mean here

Some of the later talismans (polymath in particular) you're just not going to be able to upgrade meaningfully with the amount of talisman shards you get from ant sacrifices directly. However, by that point, you're getting a comparably huge pile of offerings and obtainium from your sacs.

So instead of upgrading those talismans using the slow direct trickle of talisman shards, you can instead hit those buy buttons on the left that you may have been ignoring since talismans first unlocked (because they were pretty poo poo at first), to use your much faster off/obt income.

This also, notably, lets you power up your talismans if you're in some corruption scenario or other that doesn't let you beat challenge 9 but does still let you have at least a passable supply of offerings and obtainium.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

KazigluBey posted:

Feel a bit stuck in AC; Just finished the Purification Slime fight but I'm not sure what to do next. Notably, no real way to get the 0.3 movement needed to do the Slums stuff. Did I sequence myself into a bricked position? Do I need to just do a long stats grind for some of the Torunaments?

If you don't have the max destiny to do anything else than yeah it probably is grind food till you can beat the next father fight or tournament round.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

Distance Incremental and Prestige Tree are both fast paced, very little downtime and progress largely based on how active you are (particularly Prestige Tree)

Prestige Tree is really good until you get to the recently-added Gears layer.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

You're on the grind to Beginner Warrior which will unlock the chain to the next area. Slam your food and rituals with some long rank runs. It won't take too long.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Just as a heads up for Another Chronicle, I took Tamer first because of the summon monster/party theme and it's kind of obvious that is a bad idea if not nearly impossible to complete. Like I'm about to hit Rank 25 but need another 150 destiny to get the Beginner Tamer title and I can't see how to get that much. My only options for increasing destiny are getting 200+ researches for the Orc and Treant or getting to rank 30 to advance the Forest upgrade. Plus there are some other wonky effects, like you lose the ability to make Anchovy Sandwhich, so I've got no bonus from that food nor can I get any. I'm basically stuck grinding for a couple days to level up my Familiar rank a couple times in the hopes that will get enough to overcome the sewer dungeon and that opens up more options for Destiny.

nessin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

nessin posted:

Just as a heads up for Another Chronicle, I took Tamer first because of the summon monster/party theme and it's kind of obvious that is a bad idea if not nearly impossible to complete. Like I'm about to hit Rank 25 but need another 150 destiny to get the Beginner Tamer title and I can't see how to get that much. My only options for increasing destiny are getting 200+ researches for the Orc and Treant or getting to rank 30 to advance the Forest upgrade. Plus there are some other wonky effects, like you lose the ability to make Anchovy Sandwhich, so I've got no bonus from that food nor can I get any. I'm basically stuck grinding for a couple days to level up my Familiar rank a couple times in the hopes that will get enough to overcome the slums dungeon and that opens up more options for Destiny.

I took the warrior school and also lost the ability to get the sandwhiches from farming the first zone, so I think you can only get that bonus from after doing a full resurrection. Just got to the city and working on clearing the first dungeon there, I'll see where I get stuck next.