Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

what's their official designation, Levantine Turks?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

can't wait for Turkish nationalists to rehabilitate the Khazar theory as a way to claim Israel is a Turkish nation

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Atrocious Joe posted:

can't wait for Turkish nationalists to rehabilitate the Khazar theory as a way to claim Israel is a Turkish nation

lol you don't have to wait, i've already seen that poo poo in the wild on turkish reddits.

e: although it was less "Israelis are descended from Khazars" and more that "Judaism is a Turkish religion and so Jews are good because we have a shared history"

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 23:43 on Oct 15, 2020

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
post cold war wars loving suck

armenia, azerbaijan, israel and turkey all embrace the same blood and soil bullshit,

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

aphid_licker posted:

This isn't the first time armies have discovered that enemy air superiority is bad, everyone's gonna come up with some antidronemissiles and spam those and then it's back at square one.

the israeli suicide drones are designed entirely around suppressing AA units. someone's gonna have to figure out a cheap radar/CIWS combo system

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Bigass robotic tennis racket you screw to the top of the vehicle

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/HamdiRifaiJD/status/1316949067021287426?s=20

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

This isn't the first time armies have discovered that enemy air superiority is bad, everyone's gonna come up with some antidronemissiles and spam those and then it's back at square one.

maybe a rocket with an EMP blast like the science vessel from Starcraft lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

maybe a rocket with an EMP blast like the science vessel from Starcraft lol

just merge two templar into an archon imo

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

drones turning actual modern warfare between states into a ww1 trench warfare hell but worse

It's kinda funny how war buffs (/ the pentagon) spend all their time jerking off to fantasies about full-scale conventional war with modern armaments, but every time it happens it's just "yeah you walk forward 100 meters and then explode"

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
in case you are wondering about us policy towards this is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspian_Guard_Initiative

https://www.heritage.org/global-politics/report/azerbaijan-and-armenia-regional-conflict-global-implications

quote:

In recent days, evidence has surfaced on social media of Russia transporting hardware through Iran and into southern Armenia. Interestingly, there have also been reports of ethnic Azeri’s living in northern Iran attacking these convoys.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/10/14/iran-azeri-ethnic-minority-nagorno-karabakh/

quote:

Simply put, Iran is not in a position to act in opposition to its own Azeri minority. Unlike in the early 1990s, when the collapse of the Soviet Union was just opening room for Iranian Azeris to reconnect with their brethren to the north, who had been under Russian/Soviet rule since the early 1800s, the ethnic Iranian Azeri community is today far more aware of the dynamics behind the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict and far more passionately behind Baku. This poses a serious concern for Tehran. Iran is, after all, a multiethnic country, and Tehran is ill prepared to handle an uprising among other aggrieved minorities sparked by the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Georgia is opposing Armenia because if the latter gets conquered then they get the mantle of oldest Christian country in the world

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
It's because they hate the Russians

wisconsingreg has issued a correction as of 09:30 on Jan 16, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Yeah the Azeri's aren't gonna stage that kind of uprising over this poo poo. Every 10 years or so the State Department thinks they can use some sort of Azeri separatism or uprising to destroy the Islamic Republic because they're incapable of thinking of any kind of nationalism that isn't 100% ethno-linguistic in nature. Most you'll get is some riots in Tabriz but I doubt it would even get that far unless Iran actually started shooting missiles at Baku or something.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

Nobody seems able to advance more than a few hundred feet without exploding. It looks like an entrenched stalemate where everyone is just digging in deeper and coming up with new ways to hide assets.

But the info from this corner of the world is so terrible it's hard to say, if you just follow a bunch of people on twitter who live in the area it's a mess of cheerleading and pure bullshit.

Always has been that way since WW1. Bonus points if artillery blows you up while you're on the road and you don't see any badguys.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

drones turning actual modern warfare between states into a ww1 trench warfare hell but worse

On Armenia's side, it's actually the landmines they've been laying down because Azerbaijan apparently did the pro-move of buying hundreds of tanks but barely any engineering vehicles lol.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

i say swears online posted:

absolutely bracing myself for a terrible interview

If you’re referring to the Radio War Nerd interview it was great. She’s Armenian so her perspective is obvious. And Dolan and Ames always make it very clear where their sympathies lie. Way better than pretending to be impartial.

Listening to someone actually living in a war zone was very interesting/depressing. Personally, I would outlaw war. Seems bad.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I mean the literal cheering for a horrific act of ethnic cleansing and barefaced genocide apologia was kinda sus but you do you. At least you aren't pretending to be impartial.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BeefThief posted:

pretty interesting watching these two nations with their pitiful militaries slugging it out for no reason while literally 99% of the US population has no idea this is happening or where either of these countries are. am i correct in my assumption that they've basically burned out their conventional capabilities and are now randomly bombing civilian centers because that's all they can do to turn the tide? or is somebody winning

yeah while i was kinda fascinated watching the Something Awful / CSPAM position on which side was less likely to be preferred by the US good form, anecdotally the position of even generally pretty well informed normal human beings seems to be "azerwho?"

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Looks like an apartment building got hit by a missile in Ganja

https://twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1317231454284357632?s=20

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

2020 is really weird

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah while i was kinda fascinated watching the Something Awful / CSPAM position on which side was less likely to be preferred by the US good form, anecdotally the position of even generally pretty well informed normal human beings seems to be "azerwho?"

It's got a late '90s Clinton feel to it. Interethnic strife in the Balkans and in East Timor

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Pryor on Fire posted:

Looks like an apartment building got hit by a missile in Ganja

https://twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1317231454284357632?s=20

So, this is being spammed by Azeri bots on Twitter. Meanwhile, Armenia is denying it happened, and others are saying if it happened, they deserved it.

boy do i love the post truth internet.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
LMFAO its like if we had twitter during the balkan wars

https://twitter.com/joshgunsh/status/1317162843201064961

im pretty sure large scale war + internet will break the cyberspace finally

wisconsingreg has issued a correction as of 05:55 on Oct 17, 2020

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

An Armenian Su-25 was just shot down and there are reports of heavy shelling near Fizuli and Hadrut.

And if this is true (huge grain of salt) Armenia just lost a good chunk of it's long range air defense

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1317384625702928385

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 10:40 on Oct 17, 2020

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Don't watch this one if you don't want to see body parts flying everywhere
:nms:
https://twitter.com/CeyhunAsirov/status/1317396627242553344

It's just a massacre of infantry, I guess the ceasefire is off.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
luv to massacre cowering people in a ditch and post it to twitter.com

also how can the Armenian state be otherwise so good at propaganda (especially compared to Azeri psychos who come off sounding like the apes they are) and then plow a loving scud into an apartment block

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Don't watch this one if you don't want to see body parts flying everywhere
https://twitter.com/CeyhunAsirov/status/1317396627242553344

It's just a massacre of infantry, I guess the ceasefire is off.

Modern war sucks since you can’t even hide the trenches to avoid drone strikes

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

etalian posted:

Modern war sucks since you can’t even hide the trenches to avoid drone strikes

It's loving insane. This is just more advanced technology than the West developed during GWOT.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That looks like the Armenians are basically getting massacred, but I guess that's the point of a propaganda murder montage

e: still they should probably stop gathering in huge groups
e: I hope they have the sense to call it quits while there's still someone alive in the male 2000 and 2001 age cohorts

aphid_licker has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Oct 17, 2020

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Zedhe Khoja posted:

also how can the Armenian state be otherwise so good at propaganda (especially compared to Azeri psychos who come off sounding like the apes they are) and then plow a loving scud into an apartment block

if it's just a one-off, one plausible scenario is that Azerbaijan has air defenses as well, and a damaged ballistic missile still has to fall someplace. the Ganja airport/base is on the far side of the city relative to NK, so if some form of air defense damaged a missile's guidance or propulsion, the warhead could crash down short of the intended target and hit within the town. this is obviously not something the AZ or anyone else in that situation would ever admit to.

american missile defense systems are advertised as shooting 2 interceptor missiles at an incoming ballistic missile to prevent this situation (but its actually just to sell twice as many missiles and also because they never really hit anything)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

if it's just a one-off, one plausible scenario is that Azerbaijan has air defenses as well, and a damaged ballistic missile still has to fall someplace. the Ganja airport/base is on the far side of the city relative to NK, so if some form of air defense damaged a missile's guidance or propulsion, the warhead could crash down short of the intended target and hit within the town. this is obviously not something the AZ or anyone else in that situation would ever admit to.

american missile defense systems are advertised as shooting 2 interceptor missiles at an incoming ballistic missile to prevent this situation (but its actually just to sell twice as many missiles and also because they never really hit anything)

So the Azerbaijanis are accidentally shooting AA at their own missiles which then fall on their biggest cities and also American air defense is completely worthless, got it, thanks for the update. :catdrugs:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So which side is the US backing?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

So the Azerbaijanis are accidentally shooting AA at their own missiles which then fall on their biggest cities and also American air defense is completely worthless, got it, thanks for the update. :catdrugs:

no they're saying they hit and damaged an armenian missile that then fell short of its target due to the damage

also patriot missiles have a record for poor accuracy

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

man the next large scale war is going to be so loving brutal

at this point what is the point of infantry except to get droned? worse than throwing them at machine guns in ww1

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Zedhe Khoja posted:

the people making memes aren't the same ones aiming scuds.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

man the next large scale war is going to be so loving brutal

at this point what is the point of infantry except to get droned? worse than throwing them at machine guns in ww1

i mean there does seem to be way to counter the drones, its just that they're all hideously expensive. exponentially so when you factor in the cost of the drones.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/naghdalyan/status/1317534657160925184?s=19

Another ceasefire attempt.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Military commanders are going to want to just wipe out cities to turn off the remote-control on drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

err posted:

It's loving insane. This is just more advanced technology than the West developed during GWOT.

this is the same stuff, previously shown to be not incredibly useful during COIN operations, now shown to make a huge difference in an actual war