Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Entirely depends on who gets to decide on who is or is not a real person. Facts don’t matter, only power does. This is a power grab. Effectively this could give the courts the power to apportion EC votes etc

I read that CA, FL and TX would each lose one seat and OH, MN and maybe MI would gain. Don't quote me on the last one, but I'm sure about the first two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ShadowHawk posted:

What's great about this argument is it simply asserts its conclusion:

It's pretty unclear how that final sentence is even connected to the earlier points being made.

It's unclear if you read it as a logical argument. It's very clear that it says "we claim the power to do this [because it is politically convenient for us]" with a fig leaf of "we already have some powers which are kinda sorta maybe similar if you squint really hard and also it doesn't explicitly say anywhere we don't have this power".

If the executive gets to decide who counts as an inhabitant just loving lol if you think this is going to mean a change of only three or so EC's in the long run.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

If that's the argument and Biden wins then the court will probably vote against it just to deny the power to a Dem president since the next census and apportionment isn't for 10 years. Nobody wants to play the long game if they don't get the first turn.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was pretty good that four justices were fine with the census question despite it already being shown DOJ lied about their reasoning and kept changing their reasoning even before Hofeller's daughter published his documents showing he drafted the memo and it had an explicit racist basis.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

If the executive gets to decide who counts as an inhabitant just loving lol if you think this is going to mean a change of only three or so EC's in the long run.

First of all Biden is going to win, so whatever advantages may be created would be controlled by the Democrats.

That aside, the president is not going to be able to just arbitrarily subtract people wherever he wants on a whim, and if you think they will then you are just flat-out wrong. The method to subtract illegal immigrants has to be an objective method that is publicly known, and done by pencil-pushing apolitical bureaucrats. The only real influence aside from saying they should be excluded as a general matter of policy, may be to choose from several possible objective methods, all of which would likely yield roughly the same, mild result.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 17, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Let me place my faith in the constraints of power placed on the imperial presidency, which has only seen its power increase with every passing year for decades now. This seems smart to me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The only saving grace is that the worst things Trump can do in regards to this can be trivially fixed by the incoming Congress and President.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Raenir Salazar posted:

The only saving grace is that the worst things Trump can do in regards to this can be trivially fixed by the incoming Congress and President.

You mean by the broken minority-party controlled senate and the almost hundred+ lifetime appointments to the judiciary?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

jeeves posted:

You mean by the broken minority-party controlled senate and the almost hundred+ lifetime appointments to the judiciary?

Almost 300+.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jeeves posted:

All the federal courts are packable, if they take the trifecta and have the will to pass a new Judiciary Act. I mean, you can definitely argue that they won't do this in the end, because democrats, but nothing forbids it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

jeeves posted:

Anything done by the executive branch can be pretty trivially undone by it, especially since a Biden Presidency will go through the proper legalistic motions that won't leave them as open to challenge. However a Democratic majority has some significant benefits to it, like actually bringing legislation to the floor which will probably get Republican votes from those at risk in 2022.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Expanding the Federal Courts should be a no-brainer, they've been due an expansion for decades, it should be 3x the current size with our growth in population.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

haveblue posted:

All the federal courts are packable, if they take the trifecta and have the will to pass a new Judiciary Act. I mean, you can definitely argue that they won't do this in the end, because democrats, but nothing forbids it.

That takes a spine and doing stuff outside of ~DECORUM~

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Thom12255 posted:

Expanding the Federal Courts should be a no-brainer, they've been due an expansion for decades, it should be 3x the current size with our growth in population.

So should congress

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

We’re gonna find out who actually cares about textualism pretty quick. Also, few more of these and they’ll make the case for court-packing themselves.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Apropos of nothing, did the early censuses (there were some in 18th and 19th century, right?) count everyone, or just white people , or just white men?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trapick posted:

Apropos of nothing, did the early censuses (there were some in 18th and 19th century, right?) count everyone, or just white people , or just white men?
Everyone. Men over 16, men under 16, women, slaves, and "other."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1790_United_States_Census

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Trapick posted:

They counted everyone, regardless of race or enslavement.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Deceptive Thinker posted:

So should congress

Congress should be about 3500 to keep each seat representing around 100,000 people, which in my opinion is about the largest district where a grassroots campaign can be effective and therefore the best size.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

yronic heroism posted:

We’re gonna find out who actually cares about textualism pretty quick. Also, few more of these and they’ll make the case for court-packing themselves.

Look, when the Founders wrote "persons", they meant only [checks notes] oh poo poo whoops

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

Let me place my faith in the constraints of power placed on the imperial presidency, which has only seen its power increase with every passing year for decades now. This seems smart to me.

Trump's term has been filled with insane proclamations and orders that have been ignored by the bureaucracy. Trump has been remarkably ineffective and unable to do very basic, simple executive actions that should have been within his power (like just simply ending DACA for one, lol) because of his inability to understand how to work the bureaucracy. The faceless cogs can and will ignore him if he tries to order them to do something the law doesn't allow, since they are not willing to risk their jobs or freedom for him.

The president flat-out will be unable to say "lets take 10 million away from California's count! How did I arrive at that number? I don't need to justify it, lol". If you think he can, then you haven't been paying much attention to his inability to get the government to follow his agenda. He can't even get the government to mail out little $200 bribes to old people before the election because the bureaucrats told him its against election law and stubbornly folded their arms.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 17, 2020

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

This is probably as much about the principal of hating immigrants as it is any actual apportionment difference for the administration.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look, when the Founders wrote "persons", they meant only [checks notes] oh poo poo whoops

Delaware about to have 600 EVs

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The year 2032, all 9 seats are conservatives.

Democrats pack the court.

Adding 1 seat.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

yronic heroism posted:

This is probably as much about the principal of hating immigrants as it is any actual apportionment difference for the administration.

Looking at the breakdown by state seems kind of pointless, the point is to make gerrymanders within each state easier to pull off

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

blackmongoose posted:

Delaware about to have 600 EVs

:golfclap: well played

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Also that a college student losing his scholarship for raping a classmate was an example of anti-male bias.

I looked this up and this particular case is a lot more ambiguous than you're making it sound-

Washington Post posted:

John and Jane were students in Purdue’s Navy ROTC program when they began dating in the fall of 2015, according to a summary of the case in the court ruling that relied on John Doe’s presentation of the facts. They had consensual sexual intercourse numerous times. In December, Jane attempted suicide in front of John. He reported her suicide attempt to the university, and they stopped dating.

A few months later, Jane alleged that in November 2015, while they were sleeping together in his room, she awoke to John groping her over her clothes without consent. Jane said she objected and that John told her he had penetrated her with his finger while they were sleeping together earlier that month. John denied the allegations and produced friendly texts from Jane after the alleged November incident.

Among the university’s alleged missteps cited by the court: John Doe received a redacted copy of investigators’ report on his case only moments before his disciplinary hearing. He discovered that the document did not mention that he had reported Jane’s suicide attempt and falsely asserted that he had confessed to Jane’s allegations. Jane Doe did not appear before the university panel that reviewed the investigation; instead, a written summary of her allegations was submitted by a campus group that advocates for victims of sexual violence.

You'll never guess who pops up to provide further rhetorical cover for this whole line of thought-

Washington Post posted:

The Supreme Court has not ruled on a Title IX campus sexual assault case in the past decade, experts said. But Ginsburg, a feminist icon, surprised some victim’s advocates in a 2018 interview with the Atlantic magazine in which she was asked about due process for those accused of sexual harassment.

“The person who is accused has a right to defend herself or himself, and we certainly should not lose sight of that,” she said. “Recognizing that these are complaints that should be heard. There’s been criticism of some college codes of conduct for not giving the accused person a fair opportunity to be heard, and that’s one of the basic tenets of our system, as you know, everyone deserves a fair hearing.”

Ginsburg added that she thought some of those criticisms of college codes were valid.

As for the part that directly deals with Barrett-

Washington Post posted:

In the Purdue opinion, Barrett wrote that John Doe’s allegations of gender discrimination were plausible in part because of the pressure that the Obama administration applied to schools and universities to confront sexual harassment and assault.

“The Department of Education made clear that it took the letter and its enforcement very seriously,” Barrett wrote, referring to the 2011 letter that relayed the Obama administration guidance to universities.

The Obama education department opened two investigations into Purdue in 2016, Barrett noted, so “the pressure on the university to demonstrate compliance was far from abstract.”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In that specific case the guy got screwed over but lol at the idea that college campuses punish rape *too* harshly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/arguendope/status/1318366850858844163?s=20

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Someone forgot about Bush v Gore.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
If you think it's bonkers now, wait until Barrett is confirmed. They'll retroactively throw out all the late-arriving ballots in a heartbeat.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It was mentioned in the comments that they can do exactly that. For once it'd be nice to see a state just say "yeah no, gently caress you and gently caress your power grab of a ruling" when they do so. Unless it won't change the election's outcome, then they won't bother.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

It was mentioned in the comments that they can do exactly that. For once it'd be nice to see a state just say "yeah no, gently caress you and gently caress your power grab of a ruling" when they do so. Unless it won't change the election's outcome, then they won't bother.

The Supremacy Clause is a real thing. It doesn't matter what a state law or constitution says if the Feds decide otherwise.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

The Supremacy Clause is a real thing. It doesn't matter what a state law or constitution says if the Feds decide otherwise.

The Supremacy Clause has no real bearing on this, though - the Court has (generally) not reviewed state law decisions by state supreme courts that lack a federal question. That's because Article III limits SCOTUS's power to "all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, the laws of the United States, ..." A case arising out of purely state law does not arise out of the Constitution or the laws of the United States, meaning that the federal courts lack the Constitutional authority to rule on it *unless the state provision contradicts federal law or statute*.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Kalman posted:

The Supremacy Clause has no real bearing on this, though - the Court has (generally) not reviewed state law decisions by state supreme courts that lack a federal question. That's because Article III limits SCOTUS's power to "all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution, the laws of the United States, ..." A case arising out of purely state law does not arise out of the Constitution or the laws of the United States, meaning that the federal courts lack the Constitutional authority to rule on it *unless the state provision contradicts federal law or statute*.

It would be... interesting... to see SCOTUS grab whatever power over they please state election laws with article IV section 4: "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government."

Beyond hot takes about "lol one party rule for the Republicans" they could come up with a lot of motivated reasoning about the threat of voter fraud (or whatever other justification) presenting a threat to republican government so dire that states must implement strict voter ID, regular purges of infrequent voters, and other classic suppression techniques.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Space Gopher posted:

It would be... interesting... to see SCOTUS grab whatever power over they please state election laws with article IV section 4: "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government."

Beyond hot takes about "lol one party rule for the Republicans" they could come up with a lot of motivated reasoning about the threat of voter fraud (or whatever other justification) presenting a threat to republican government so dire that states must implement strict voter ID, regular purges of infrequent voters, and other classic suppression techniques.
Conversely, they could also prohibit these things if they so desired.

There are a lot of deeply unrepresentative yet surprisingly common practices out there - plurality at large voting in city councils, for instance, where a single slate takes every seat.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Deteriorata posted:

“John Roberts has made his decision, now let him enforce it.”

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ShadowHawk posted:

Conversely, they could also prohibit these things if they so desired.

There are a lot of deeply unrepresentative yet surprisingly common practices out there - plurality at large voting in city councils, for instance, where a single slate takes every seat.

"Could" in the sense that "SCOTUS likely has the theoretical power to do that," sure.

But we're talking about a court that already struck down the Voting Rights Act because they felt Congress was being too darn responsive to the will of the electorate when they exercised their constitutionally enumerated power to ensure voting rights, which actually made the whole thing unconstitutional for, uh, reasons. We're looking at a shift rightward from that low bar.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Space Gopher posted:

"Could" in the sense that "SCOTUS likely has the theoretical power to do that," sure.

But we're talking about a court that already struck down the Voting Rights Act because they felt Congress was being too darn responsive to the will of the electorate when they exercised their constitutionally enumerated power to ensure voting rights, which actually made the whole thing unconstitutional for, uh, reasons. We're looking at a shift rightward from that low bar.

That's what really made Ginsburg dying make me at least feel so hopeless. It's not that you have 6 conservatives Justices - it's that they're going to keep making decisions without even a slight veneer of legal reasoning. It's just going to be totally made up bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's what really made Ginsburg dying make me at least feel so hopeless. It's not that you have 6 conservatives Justices - it's that they're going to keep making decisions without even a slight veneer of legal reasoning. It's just going to be totally made up bullshit.

If it makes you feel any better (and I know it won't), all its really done is remove the veneer of legal reasoning, which itself never really existed in any aggregate sense. Its always been a body that justifies whatever it wants depending on who's sitting on the bench. So much of the American Governmental construct is smoke & mirrors.