Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Spatchcock half a turkey? Impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
It was the top half

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

That's why I spatchcock it.

Yeah, this was literally the left half of a turkey, so it was basically already spatchcocked. Turned out fine!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Well, hell. I was thinking that I would be hotter for longer with the lid on. Just google'd it, turns out charcoal grills get hotter with the lid off. Makes sense for oxygen flow now that I think about it.

I am using the two-zone method. Going to try some chicken thighs tomorrow. Read somewhere to cook them on the cool side for 95% of the cook, then at the end jump them to the hot side for a quick sear.

If you really want to juice it up a notch in the future get a slow n' sear or vortex. They funnel air through the coals better and direct the heat upwards. They get seriously hot and are efficient in not using a ton of coals. Also, the slow n sear is effective at turning the kettle into a decent smoker, or you can use the snake method with a bit more effort.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

All right, time for baby's first overnight smoke. I have a 6.75 lb butt that I plan to pull. Won't be wrapping, wasnt able to get butcher paper and I know foiling would just make it cook faster. About how long should I expect it to take to get to pulling temp at 225-250 degrees?

e: also plan to put it in a cooler and let it rest a few hours. Smoking over applewood and lump charcoal, will hit it with mustard and a rub blend I was gifted from a coworker. I know none of that is relevant to my question, I am just excited for it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

2hrs per pound is pretty standard for a butt.. I usually do 2hrs an lb plus 1-2 hrs if I'm planning it for a specific time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, my 8lb something oz took about 15.5 at 225.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

It was a wild ride. I had to fight dirty smoke, got it on at 1 am and it finished several hours earlier than I anticipated, but it turned out!

Since it went hot and fast it dried out a tiny bit for my liking and the bark on the underside of the butt was too charred and tough so much it had to be removed, but for as experienced as I am and as problematic of a smoke as it was I am very happy with my results.

Now the problem is, this was for dinner. Should I throw it in the crock pot on warm or should I just have to accept we will have it reheated?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
A cut meat can rest for a long while and stay hot. I’ve done like six hours and the pork was still too hot to eat. Otherwise I’d do a glass 9x13 pan covered in foil on low heat. Just enough to reheat the solidified grease.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, foil and a towel in a cooler and it’ll still be uncomfortably hot to handle in 5 hours

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I foiled and a brisket and stuck it in a cooler with a probe. It took 12 hours to go from 203 to 120 lol.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I put some finished butts in a cooler to rest, and that cooler smelled like smoke for weeks despite being washed multiple times and deodorized with baking soda.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Sounds like an improvement to me

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I had to get another cooler because using my first one to rest meat meant no where to put drinks when I had people over.

Also, my new favorite way to use leftover bbq (works with any meat) is to throw it in some ramen noodles. Just did some pulled pork with jalaps, cilantro, and basil. It was fantastic.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh that sounds like a great idea. Especially for the coming winter when soups are in season.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
In case someone still doesn't have one, the https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke is on sale today for 75$. Great piece of gear.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Murgos posted:

If you really want to juice it up a notch in the future get a slow n' sear or vortex. They funnel air through the coals better and direct the heat upwards. They get seriously hot and are efficient in not using a ton of coals. Also, the slow n sear is effective at turning the kettle into a decent smoker, or you can use the snake method with a bit more effort.

Thanks, I'll look in to that. I'm going to try my hand at some chicken thighs tonight, we'll see how it goes.

*Chicken thighs came out pretty dang good. Took quite some time to cook (1hour +) but I think that's because I took the hot/cool philosophy to the extreme on my kettle. Next time I'll place the meat a tad closer to the coals.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 14, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

I had to get another cooler because using my first one to rest meat meant no where to put drinks when I had people over.

Also, my new favorite way to use leftover bbq (works with any meat) is to throw it in some ramen noodles. Just did some pulled pork with jalaps, cilantro, and basil. It was fantastic.

Ramen works, leftover bbq also great for doing a quick stir fry (frozen vegetables in the wok, thaw em and steam off most of the liquid, throw in whatever sauce you’re going to use and the bbq meat) or fried rice (rice in oil til it gets a little crispy, throw in the meat to heat, maybe some vegetables you have lying around, at the very end make a space at wok bottom and throw an egg in, cook til set and then scramble it into the rice.)

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Add left over pulled pork or brisket to your omelettes...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Trastion posted:

Add left over pulled pork or brisket to your omelettes...

I made a breakfast casserole with some hashbrowns, leftover pulled pork, onions, peppers, eggs and cheese. It was delish

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Breakfast potatoes with peppers, onions, and shredded brisket is my favorite leftover meal.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

Breakfast potatoes with peppers, onions, and shredded brisket is one of the reasons to make a second brisket when you only need one.

Fixed

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Keep these meal ideas coming. I am writing them all down.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I have a 10lb brisket but it won't fit in my portable electric smoker as is. Is it fine to slice it into two parts?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, but if you are going to split it it's best to split along the point and the flat and its not just cutting it directly in half. Should be able to find a video. Just doing it in half isn't going to ruin it, though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, with size constraints I may have to go 50/50.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Can you hang it?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nah, it's taller than the smoker.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Gwaihir posted:

In case someone still doesn't have one, the https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke is on sale today for 75$. Great piece of gear.

Thanks, I didn't have one and this is something I've wanted. Just submitted my order.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Doing a 4 lb chuck roast today. Smoked for 5 hours at ~200 to 225 and only was at 145 internal. It's cool and rainy and I could not get the temps up on the smoker. I pulled it out, wrapped it in foil and now it's in the oven at 250. Hopefully it will be done in time for dinner around 6.

If it's not through the stall by like 3:30 I may just crank the oven to 300.

Edit VVV Thanks for that.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 17, 2020

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
There should be no stall if it's foiled. The stall is from the moisture evaporating from the meat, which is prevented when it's covered.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Well, I have found that even if you wrap in foil and then blow past 165 you can still stall. If you're dumb.

I misunderstood some stuff on the internet (surprising, I know) where it said you want a target temp of 203. It also said you should unwrap and go back under the heat for the last 30 minutes.

So, I stopped at 192, unwrapped and put back under the heat and left it for 30 minutes. When I came back the internal temp had dropped to 176! It cooled off 16 degrees in a 250 deg oven. Whoops.

So, it's back in the oven all wrapped up climbing back up to 203. I won't have time now to 'crisp up the bark' by putting it back in the oven unwrapped after it hits 203 now and still let it rest before serving but it will still be delicious.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'll be posting pics and writeups about my smoking soon. Used to smoke a ton of BBQ at my dad's house but after I moved off to college someone stole his smoker and I wasn't there to help out so he said gently caress it.

Wanted some pulled pork and every BBQ place around here is mediocre so he decided to bankroll me getting a new WSM. Time to cook some butts for the first time in nearly a decade.

The cooker comes in on the 24th but I won't be able to cook for a week or two

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Godspeed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'll be posting pics and writeups about my smoking soon. Used to smoke a ton of BBQ at my dad's house but after I moved off to college someone stole his smoker and I wasn't there to help out so he said gently caress it.

Wanted some pulled pork and every BBQ place around here is mediocre so he decided to bankroll me getting a new WSM. Time to cook some butts for the first time in nearly a decade.

The cooker comes in on the 24th but I won't be able to cook for a week or two

Yeah, places around here have mediocre pulled pork. Someday hopefully I can visit the promised lands.

Speaking of butts, how is it looking price wise? About the cheapest I can find is $1.49 for butt, $1.19 for picnic.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Plan to pick up some short ribs to throw on next week. Any advise?

Considering some experiments too, game birds are talking to me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Definitely go for low and slow, like a brisket. They'll toughen up easily if they get too hot. Depending on how many, and their size, plan for 4-5 hours, maybe more or less depending on your smoker.

Trim the excess fat off, all it will do is gelatinize. But leave the membrane on to help the meat stay attached to the bones.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Olpainless posted:

Plan to pick up some short ribs to throw on next week. Any advise?

Considering some experiments too, game birds are talking to me.
Enjoy. I usually go with a sample rub like salt, pepper, and a little ancho. Short ribs are quickly becoming my favorite thing to smoke, they always come out great.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Never got to smoke some ribs this summer, but the weekend is supposed to be pretty nice so thinking of getting in one last smoke on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Pork butt was on sale for 99 cents a lb and they had nice 10 lb butts. That's a stupid good price here and 10 lb butts are not easy to find. 60 lbs of pork going on tomorrow!