Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Gonna do a materials run for another shop infrastructure project.

Well that took THREE HOURS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Imagine how bored you'd be if you ever finished this place.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I needed my workbench back, so all this moves under here.

And what did I need it for? Well, 12 2x4s and a box of deck screws, the former of which are apparently an endangered species around here right now.

I am sick of

having stacks of wood

all over the floor

taking up entire rooms

because they're too long

to go anywhere else.

To deal with that,

I'm building

a set of shelves, of sorts,

freestanding,

and long enough

to accommodate

all the long poo poo

stashed around the house.

And so, after my customary 5 hours of solid physical effort I am done with one side of it.

Next up, the other side.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Once you're done with wood that can be a good frame for your zoom meeting green screen.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Those shelves and the carpentry involved are much better than like my actual floor and walls and stuff.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Those shelves and the carpentry involved are much better than like my actual floor and walls and stuff.

Oh I'm sure that's not true, but I will say I've really started to enjoy working with construction lumber again. The results aren't super pretty but it's so fast and easy, and you can take so many shortcuts both because the result isn't that important, and because the wood is so soft.

I didn't predrill a single screw so far, and only had one split. The entire thing has been done with an impact driver and a mitre saw, and wouldn't take *that* much longer with a handsaw and a regular screwdriver.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

More.

Shelves later.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Use one side for wood, the other side for pans and utensils.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Not a bad idea

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Took the day off work to finish sanding the cladding, since it was a rare clear and dry day.

Left; after pressure washer
Right; after pressure washer and sanding

The next job out there is to realign and screw down those boards, and to oil them. Not necessarily in that order.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Are they going to be fixed shelves, or adjustable french cleat sorta things?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

They'll be fixed, but it's simple enough to move them if needed.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just looked at the first and last page of this thread and it looks like the pages in between will be pretty interesting! I love that exterior in the back being a modern design whore

on the first post I screamed inside when I saw the carpeting on the stairs and the wallpaper

do you have any estimate of the total costs for all the renovations? when will it all be completed (if ever)?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

actionjackson posted:

do you have any estimate of the total costs for all the renovations? when will it all be completed (if ever)?

I used to keep a running tally, but at some point I stopped. By the time it's done (and I don't have a schedule for that) I suspect it'll be to the tune of £150-200k.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I saw you've posted a ton of pictures, did you post any before/after pictures of the rooms and exterior?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I saw you've posted a ton of pictures, did you post any before/after pictures of the rooms and exterior?

Only as I went.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Is the number still a good number? Like it's worth more than it was before? Although I guess these things are totally obliterated some times by just bullshit market stuff.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

You've still got 20k to drop on the outside, workshop easy anyway. More than that

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is the number still a good number? Like it's worth more than it was before? Although I guess these things are totally obliterated some times by just bullshit market stuff.

Hard to say until it's done, but it was never about making money. If I wanted to flip the place I'd've put in 30k and been done in two months.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You've still got 20k to drop on the outside, workshop easy anyway. More than that

I was including all that in the estimate.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's cute!!!!
And your grass looks green and fluffy. It will be a lovely yard when it's finished.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

And your grass looks green and fluffy. It will be a lovely yard when it's finished.

I don't know how much of that grass will be left in the end, as the soil underneath is quite lumpy and compressed, so they may need to tear it all up. But the soil is good so it should turn out good in the end.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

My neighbours are currently in week 5 of a '1 or 2 week' garden landscaping project done by a "professional", so make sure you get some references off the landscaping company so you can go check out the quality of some of their previous work and talk to some previous customers.
I wish I had finished off pruning my own garden such that i could have had a clear view of their garden from the comfort of my own home and that I had pointed a camera over there and done a time-lapse video as it would work well with the benny hill music.

I know I'm saying stuff you already know from your experiences with your builder back at the start of this thread, but just don't get relaxed and forget about that!

I want to read about you getting someone in who makes your garden look awesome like your mock up plans do and comes in on schedule and within budget...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

My neighbours are currently in week 5 of a '1 or 2 week' garden landscaping project done by a "professional", so make sure you get some references off the landscaping company so you can go check out the quality of some of their previous work and talk to some previous customers.
I wish I had finished off pruning my own garden such that i could have had a clear view of their garden from the comfort of my own home and that I had pointed a camera over there and done a time-lapse video as it would work well with the benny hill music.

I know I'm saying stuff you already know from your experiences with your builder back at the start of this thread, but just don't get relaxed and forget about that!

I want to read about you getting someone in who makes your garden look awesome like your mock up plans do and comes in on schedule and within budget...

These are the folks that did the clearance previously, so they're not a totally unknown quantity, but it's a fair point. A moot one currently, as they've stopped answering emails..

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I have had fat better results from texts for the older trades, WhatsApp for the younger ones.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

True, but this is too early on for that.

One thing I don't have time for is people who say they'll do something and then don't, especially after multiple reminders. If they're too busy to give vague timings on a 5 figure job 6 months in advance then I'm not going to waste more time chasing them. I'll look for someone else.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The first line of this landscaper's description:

quote:

My name is Bob Roberts and I have been seriously involved with plants for about 45 years.

OK so your name is "Robert Roberts"? Also does that mean you gently caress plants?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Both the guys that I got to build a shed and lay a patio were called Jamie which made it extremely confusing who you were emailing and/or paying, there was a third guy that did the actual patio laying who may have also been called Jamie and had an extremely dim view of the average patio in the local area.

They did a reasonably good job (the shed was in no way up to your standards but is good enough) but christ were they messy. I was finding nail gun nails around in the grass for weeks.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Tomarse posted:

We're 1 week and 1 day into our landscaping project, and we're more than halfway there. We went with the first guy we saw because:

He lived most of his life in the immediate area and was genuinely excited about our bijzonder space
His company is decades old and we recognised his vehicles from the area
He is responsible for some of the other lovely gardens in our area
He had some really useful ideas that hadn't occurred to us
He has a lovely, gentle, Bob Ross manner about him

Turns out our instincts were good. We've had 4 strapping young fellas here every day at 8 on the dot working like champs, ripping out decades of roots and weeds, levelling the space, cleaning and reusing all of the original paving bricks, and then erecting fences and pagodas so solid it is as if kastein himself was expecting hurricane season. They're as clean, tidy and quiet as they can be. I'm really pleased so far.

You should see who your neighbours use and recommend.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I love that we use kastein as a measurement. That amuse me.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

what's really nice is that we have our own scale of good to bad. kastein > > > > > > > grover

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Ghostnuke posted:

what's really nice is that we have our own scale of good to bad. kastein > > > > > > > grover

How good are your DIY skills on the scale of kastein to Grover, where kastein is "I shall erect this trampoline such that mine offspring shall bounce unto the seventh generation" and Grover is "I covered an entire wall with outlets and it fell down, how can I hold up my outlet collection?"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Today was the day I finally stopped procrastinating and put up the shelves for the wood storage.

Extra sturdy bottom shelf.

Decreasing in sturdiness (but increasing in capacity) as it goes up.

Decided to swap out the bottom shelves for slightly longer ones. Something I've been doing in this project is keeping everything simple factors of 2400 (the length of the 2x4s) so I went from 300mm (2400/8) to 400mm (2400/6).

Stacked up about half of my stash of Long Constructional Things before I ran out of juice. More later.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bt have given me loads of way oversized conduit pipe sections. Am I meant to glue them together or not? Still not allowed fibre mind.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is most of the boards etc stashed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That looks nice. Something about the bottom foot/shelf support is neat looking. As someone else mentioned, adding some small shelves to the other side in your kitchen would give you a bunch more space if needed.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Having spent time reading this thread I am tempted to leave the bare plaster up in a room and not paint, could look quite cool. JB is the rest of the house painted now?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

As someone else mentioned, adding some small shelves to the other side in your kitchen would give you a bunch more space if needed.

I likely will.

CancerCakes posted:

Having spent time reading this thread I am tempted to leave the bare plaster up in a room and not paint, could look quite cool.

In moderation, maybe.

CancerCakes posted:

JB is the rest of the house painted now?

About half, I'd say. By volume.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

By volume implies you filled half the house with liquid paint, which is a bold design choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Good coverage though