Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

Yet for squashing Covid-19 flat, Ardern’s New Zealand has paid a terrible economic price. In the second quarter GDP fell by 12.2 per cent. That’s smaller than Britain’s fall, but it is a horrendous collapse considering the far lighter footprint of coronavirus in New Zealand.

he's literally arguing that their response would have been better if more people had died, because then the economic damage would have been worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Just the minor difference of not closing the borders until months into the pandemic. From a party who has gone on and on forever about taking control of the borders.

And also New Zealand has the unfair advantage of being an island.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

Yet for squashing Covid-19 flat, Ardern’s New Zealand has paid a terrible economic price. In the second quarter GDP fell by 12.2 per cent. That’s smaller than Britain’s fall, but it is a horrendous collapse considering the far lighter footprint of coronavirus in New Zealand.

This... just... what?

He's saying it's a big economic fall considering they didn't have many covid deaths, which is bad?

In order to justify that economic damage, they should have had more deaths?

I just don't know what the gently caress, it's word salad.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
can't believe those idiots bought a rock that keeps tigers away, I chuckle to myself from inside the tiger

e: also I bought a lot of rocks that didn't keep tigers away

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Wish I could get £££ to feed some words into GPT-3 and call myself a journalist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XMNN posted:

can't believe those idiots bought a rock that keeps tigers away, I chuckle to myself from inside the tiger

But I am a great admirer of the rock salesmen and that's what matters.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

XMNN posted:

I bought several rocks, but evidently I needed them and they didn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the better analogy is they put up a fence to keep the tigers out while I bought rocks, got eaten by the tigers, and now wish to express my annoyance that they didn't also buy rocks which I still claim work better than the fence.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Yep, realised that right after I went out walking the dogs, too late to correct it. D'oh!

At least you're not one of the people who go "well of course they have less deaths per capita, they have less people!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People who use less when fewer is correct are the worst, I agree :v:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

josh04 posted:

I bought several rocks, but evidently I needed them and they didn't.

Oh where did you get yours?
Boris handed us half a handful of gravel, cost as much as a lot of rocks too.
Said it was the best anti-tiger system in the world.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Camrath posted:

If things truly get that bad, ammo and bang sticks do become a factor in a way we’ve never seen them in this country, sadly. I don’t believe that’s going to happen. I /hope/ it doesn’t, as Staffordshire police aren’t processing new licence requests atm. :p

Crossbows are legal iirc? :shobon:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also smoothbore hand cranked gatling guns might be legal on a shotgun license too.

There was that one someone made in the US which is like, half a dozen AKs fixed to a ring that spins and pulls the triggers as you crank it, technically counts as legal because you have to continually crank it :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 17, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
to be fair, if the population of New Zealand was to be scaled up to match the UK, I imagine the strain on infrastructure based on suddenly having to house 60 million new people would probably make some difference to per-capita covid deaths

perhaps a slightly less extreme version of this scenario

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Angepain posted:

to be fair, if the population of New Zealand was to be scaled up to match the UK

Actually, the start Lord of the Rings was filmed with clever camera angles and multiple versions of props.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kiwis are actually quite a lot larger than you might think. I always used to think they were small but they're about the size of chickens.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

marktheando posted:

And also New Zealand has the unfair advantage of being an island.

It's actually two and tbf the UK only has 1 and a bit islands due to being galactic class cunts in another century

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bet the shetlanders are feeling real loving smug right now.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

crispix posted:

It's actually two and tbf the UK only has 1 and a bit islands due to being galactic class cunts in another century

I can feel a SMGT post about the Isle of Wight coming any minute

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I obviously meant big islands you could see from the moon using a moderately priced telescope from Argos, stop being silly :mad:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does the moon have an argos do you think?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Kiwis are actually quite a lot larger than you might think. I always used to think they were small but they're about the size of chickens.

how do people fit so many in a bowl

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

Does the moon have an argos do you think?

Sainsburys have Argoses in them now, anything is possible

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Centuries, and the process appears to be ongoing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

This is doing the rounds on social media, its nothing we weren't expecting here tbh

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

namesake posted:

"Who runs Fudgetown?"

"Actually we're an anarcho-syndicalist commune where every month we elect an officer to make decisions but those must be approved at weekly meetings by a simple majority for internal affairs or a 2/3rds majority for external ones."

No, the answer is Master-beanblaster.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The idea that Argos, the most dour, grim, depressing place I ever went in my life, continues to exist in the era of t'Internet, boggles my mind more than anything else does.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dabir posted:

how do people fit so many in a bowl

Those are just the eggs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

The idea that Argos, the most dour, grim, depressing place I ever went in my life, continues to exist in the era of t'Internet, boggles my mind more than anything else does.

It actually did help me get an emergency phone charger for my hospital bound friend so I am not feeling that much antipathy.

Essentially it's just a normal retail store except the front is very small and the warehouse is very large and you are not encouraged to drift around it yourself crashing into displays and giving people covid.

If anything more stores should be like argos. It's also how screwfix works.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Latest praxiscast is ace

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ms Adequate posted:

Its a 'poo poo I need that kettle replaced now' instead of waiting a week type place.
What I don't understand is why every Argos has a a jewelry desk in the corner.
Do people buy rings and stuff from Argos so much it needs its own section.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1317528293994803205
I generally like Lammy, but to me this encapsulates why New Labour and the "soft-left" suck.

They see Jacinta Ardern winning, but instead of emulating her popular policies, or asking how she grew support for them, they see her giving the exact same vacuous "I will bring people together" speech that May and BoJo made and go "THIS, THIS is how you win elections! We need someone who can deliver that speech!".

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

Latest praxiscast is ace
It really is. I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at the idea of a bag of dog poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If only labour had pursued actually effective policy that saved tens of thousands of lives in the pandemic rather than demanding the tories send children back to school faster.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1317528293994803205
I generally like Lammy, but to me this encapsulates why New Labour and the "soft-left" suck.

They see Jacinta Ardern winning, but instead of emulating her popular policies, or asking how she grew support for them, they see her giving the exact same vacuous "I will bring people together" speech that May and BoJo made and go "THIS, THIS is how you win elections! We need someone who can deliver that speech!".

They probably want to copy her policy of never taxing capital gains, that would be a winner.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Its a 'poo poo I need that kettle replaced now' instead of waiting a week type place.
What I don't understand is why every Argos has a a jewelry desk in the corner.
Do people buy rings and stuff from Argos so much it needs its own section.

high street jewellers are pretty hard to find these days so if you want to buy some it's easier to go to either Argos or Cash Converters

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
They probably don't want such small and high value items in the warehouse in case the staff nick them. I learned when I worked in retail that the chief concern of senior management in retail is making sure the staff don't nick anything

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jewelry is something you want to look at up close, that's the point of it. It's something you inherently distrust because it is easy to fake so you want both the trappings of quality (which is why jewelry stores look the way they do and have people to assure you of the quality, and why they're expensive) and you want to be able to see it well enough that you can trick yourself into believing it's worth it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I refuse to get married until I find a partner who will be happy to wear his and his big multicoloured plastic rings with whistles on like you used to get from those machines outside Happy Shoppers

they went whhhooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Jewelry is something you want to look at up close, that's the point of it. It's something you inherently distrust because it is easy to fake so you want both the trappings of quality (which is why jewelry stores look the way they do and have people to assure you of the quality, and why they're expensive) and you want to be able to see it well enough that you can trick yourself into believing it's worth it.

Let me tell you about mail order diamonds...