Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Sally posted:

when I watched the opening cutscenes (i started with Dawn of War), I thought: man, every faction looks like a bunch of evil jackasses. AT LEAST THE TAU SEEM ALRIGHT, I"LL PLAY THE GOOD GUYS!

of course then i found out they were big propagandist, population sterilizing, Big Brother, end-justifies-the-means fuckos and understood that, yeah, everything one and thing in 40k sucks. but by then i'd come to love melting everything with plasma from across the map, so it was all good.

The Necrons are clearly the good guys resisting all the colonialists and freeing people from having to live in 40k land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The Necrons are clearly the good guys resisting all the colonialists and freeing people from having to live in 40k land.

I mean, you're not wrong...

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the Tau suffer from DS9/VOY disease.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Veloxyll posted:

No Spice Marines
BROTHERS PARSLEY, SAGE, ROSEMARY, AND THYME, ADVANCE UPON THAT BUNKER AND CLEANSE IT WITH CAYENNE

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tyrannids are obviously the best. They're just scared and hungry and we can't fault them for that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Coolguye posted:

BROTHERS PARSLEY, SAGE, ROSEMARY, AND THYME, ADVANCE UPON THAT BUNKER AND CLEANSE IT WITH CAYENNE
Sir, brother Melange got his landraider stuck in sand.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

Tyrannids are obviously the best. They're just scared and hungry and we can't fault them for that.
I really love that there are implications in the lore that the Tyranids are not invading but instead running from something...

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Sylphosaurus posted:

I really love that there are implications in the lore that the Tyranids are not invading but instead running from something...

They just saw a big shiny psychic light and thought "ah food and shelter, I will go there". They're good boys.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Sir, brother Melange got his landraider stuck in sand.
This really needs to be a chapter. Something for the multiplayer, maybe?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sylphosaurus posted:

If the AdMech's listening to outside the galaxy is accurate (unlikely, they couldn't tell Xenotech from Archeotech if you gave them the manual) that something is Green and wins

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Necrons are just old guys who want all these kids to get off their lawns.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:sigh: I wish so much that DOW3 was good and eventually added a full ad-mech army.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mordja posted:

:sigh: I wish so much that DOW3 was good and eventually added a full ad-mech army.

What a strange idea, thinking that there was a third game in the series.

We all know that no one would be foolish enough to make a soulless sequel that abandoned the qualities which made its predecessors fun.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

wiegieman posted:

What a strange idea, thinking that there was a third game in the series.

We all know that no one would be foolish enough to make a soulless sequel that abandoned the qualities which made its predecessors fun.

But enough about Soulstorm

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

bunnyofdoom posted:

But enough about Soulstorm

No, that would be bold and foolish.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SPEHSS MAHRINES!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love the 'bloody magpies' jokes that came about once people realized what the blood ravens having all the dawn of war 2 wargear implied about their relationships with other chapters.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

I love the 'bloody magpies' jokes that came about once people realized what the blood ravens having all the dawn of war 2 wargear implied about their relationships with other chapters.

Some of it was pretty legit hilarious, though. I'm pretty sure one of the high-level equipment pieces was supposed to be Custodes gear. How crazy do you have to be to hang onto an artifact that belonged to the Emperor's personal guard?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Gothsheep posted:

Some of it was pretty legit hilarious, though. I'm pretty sure one of the high-level equipment pieces was supposed to be Custodes gear. How crazy do you have to be to hang onto an artifact that belonged to the Emperor's personal guard?

You'd be crazy NOT to! You could buy an entire battle barge with something that special, and you'll be invincible until you make the trade!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Deformed Church posted:

You'd be crazy NOT to! You could buy an entire battle barge with something that special, and you'll be invincible until you make the trade!

Like yep.

I mean if you find like a lostech blueprint for a portable tent or something domestic and turn it over to the admech you could ask for an entire planet to be your property and get it as well.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gothsheep posted:

Didn't they have stuff that belonged to Traitor Primarchs as well?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gothsheep posted:

My take was always that the Ravens were just spinning tales of complete bullshit about whatever fancy gear they had.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cythereal posted:

My take was always that the Ravens were just spinning tales of complete bullshit about whatever fancy gear they had.

If that were the case, you'd think they would make more flattering ones. I remember one thing, the history of it basically amounted to, "We made this piece of equipment as a gift for the leader of the Space Wolves. They sent it back with a note that said 'GET hosed BLOOD RAVENS'."

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

If that were the case, you'd think they would make more flattering ones. I remember one thing, the history of it basically amounted to, "We made this piece of equipment as a gift for the leader of the Space Wolves. They sent it back with a note that said 'GET hosed BLOOD RAVENS'."

Sounds about right.

Note that most Space Marine Chapters of age and note have a vault full of relics and artifacts. Any of the remaining founding chapters basically have a mountain of poo poo they built up over 10 millennia.

Space wolves would totally go "eh trash, send it back with a rude message. Have Sven write it up while he's extra drunk."

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I think my favorite piece of Blood Raven war gear from DoW2 is an ancient thunder hammer that was supposedly wielded by the founder of the Black Templars. How they got their hand on that is almost as much of a mystery as why there isn't an endless stream of pissed off Black Templars trying to get it back, especially since they loving HATE psykers.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I think my favorite piece of Blood Raven war gear from DoW2 is an ancient thunder hammer that was supposedly wielded by the founder of the Black Templars. How they got their hand on that is almost as much of a mystery as why there isn't an endless stream of pissed off Black Templars trying to get it back, especially since they loving HATE psykers.

Which seems like a very questionable enemy to make as in terms of numbers the Black Templars could easily wipe out the Blood Ravens as they have about 5 times the amount of marines a normal chapter should have.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Gothsheep posted:

Funny enough, I don't recall where so if you ask for specifics you're going to get a shrug, but I do remember hearing that it was strongly hinted that there was a period of time during the 'dark age of technology' that humanity lived hand-in-hand with other species in a very huggy Star Trek style federation. And it was only after "things" happened that humanity shifted to a much more xenophobic footing.

The "things" seem to be humanity's robot slaves being corrupted by Chaos, and the resulting war leading to the victorious but weakened humans being easy prey for hostile aliens, all while the Eldar's depravity lead to increasing warp storms cutting off interstellar travel as Slaanesh was conceived.

Hunt11 posted:

Which seems like a very questionable enemy to make as in terms of numbers the Black Templars could easily wipe out the Blood Ravens as they have about 5 times the amount of marines a normal chapter should have.

They're on crusade so legally they can have as many marines as they want.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

White Coke posted:

The biggest threat to the Imperium of Man's stability is actually rules-lawyering.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

The founding chapters (and other smart chapters) have more than 1000 members, they never have them all gather up or declare for whatever reason the extra don't count. (or in the ultramarines case just call them another chapter and then if the core chapter loses a lot of dudes just quietly repaint their armor)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

White Coke posted:

Yeah that's their whole thing. They're on a crusade against Chaos itself. So they basically go "Are there any Chaos assholes around?", if yes then gently caress up those Chaos assholes, if not then look harder. Rinse and repeat until there's no more Chaos at which point they can go back to doing normal space marine things like murder xenos or purge mutants.

This may take a while.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mordja posted:

The biggest threat to the Imperium of Man's stability is actually rules-lawyering.

AtomikKrab posted:

The founding chapters (and other smart chapters) have more than 1000 members, they never have them all gather up or declare for whatever reason the extra don't count. (or in the ultramarines case just call them another chapter and then if the core chapter loses a lot of dudes just quietly repaint their armor)

The 1,000 marine limit comes from the proscribed size of the ten companies, but the scout company has no actual limit, and I think that groups like the honor guard and librarium aren't included in the official count, so if a chapter master has a 10,000 man honor guard I think that'd be legal too.

Of course the Space Wolves ignore all that and have as many men as they want, but since they're a founding chapter and have no (surviving) successors it isn't much of an issue.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Honestly, the whole "1,000 marines per chapter" thing is just early GW running afoul of every fresh sci-fi writer's bane : not quite understanding how gigantically, mind-bogglingly, insanely BIG space really is ; even at the mere "star system" level.

Or a planet, for that matter. I don't care how poo poo-hot and invincibly armoured a hundred Marines are, if they have to shoot an entire landmass worth of Orks or 'nids ; each of them will have to carry a bolter mag the size of a hive city.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 18, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
At least in-canon they've had Guilliman, since he came back, actively recognize how badly he hosed up the Space Marines with the Codex.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

DID YOU CALL THE SPICE MARINES SIR
PARSLEY, SAGE, ROSEMARY, AND THYME
WE SEASON WELL FOR THE EMPEROR
BLAND TASTE BUDS SHOULD BE A WAR CRIME

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

White Coke posted:

The "things" seem to be humanity's robot slaves being corrupted by Chaos, and the resulting war leading to the victorious but weakened humans being easy prey for hostile aliens, all while the Eldar's depravity lead to increasing warp storms cutting off interstellar travel as Slaanesh was conceived.

I thought that was just a garden variety AI rebellion. I mean, NOW Chaos gets in all your circuitry so new technology is heresy. But Chaos was a lot quieter in the oldendays. The Warp was still a perilous hellscape of damnation, mind you, but you could safely navigate WITHOUT sacrificing a thousand psykers a minute to keep you oriented.

Aren't Guard companies 1,000 or 10,000 strong by law also. Of course it's a lot easier to train and equip guardsmen than Spice Marines.
And, you know, occasionally entire campaigns of the guard DO still fall to the ruinous powers. But, eh, details.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

I thought that was just a garden variety AI rebellion. I mean, NOW Chaos gets in all your circuitry so new technology is heresy. But Chaos was a lot quieter in the oldendays. The Warp was still a perilous hellscape of damnation, mind you, but you could safely navigate WITHOUT sacrificing a thousand psykers a minute to keep you oriented.

Aren't Guard companies 1,000 or 10,000 strong by law also. Of course it's a lot easier to train and equip guardsmen than Spice Marines.
And, you know, occasionally entire campaigns of the guard DO still fall to the ruinous powers. But, eh, details.

The men of iron war is pretty shrouded of mystery. All they've really said is that the scale of that conflict was stupidly massive even in a 40K context, with planet-devouring AI warmachines not uncommon.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

The men of iron war is pretty shrouded of mystery. All they've really said is that the scale of that conflict was stupidly massive even in a 40K context, with planet-devouring AI warmachines not uncommon.

*admech carefully shuffles planet-devouring Piloted warmachine behind curtain.*

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Veloxyll posted:

At the very least the way the Imperial Guard tends to deploy its forces is to try to split up the duties, so one regiment pulling artillery duty could be from another planet entirely from the armoured company etc. It's to help keep them from feeling like they have to fall in line with their fellows if something goes wrong and one goes a bit on the heretical side, and also helps you stop having one regiment with all the trimmings like artillery and armour going rogue and doing lots of damage since that's sectioned off. Of course the longer a campaign goes the more likely it is that everyone starts fraternizing and bonding over shared grievances and whoops the commander that was really charismatic and getting everyone through the trouble just ate a baby and declared themselves OverRulerKing of the sector I think we're hosed lads.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

The Emperor was also very Xeno-unfriendly. But Pre-Emperor High Age humanity wouldn't have been much of a threat to Pre-Fall Eldar.
No Spice Marines, and the Eldar with an elfpower pool to rival the M42 Guard is just not going to lead to a good time.

The thing about that is that dark age of technology stuff is completely insane and has been shown to hilariously outclass eldar stuff. Like one ship accidentally had it's AI reactivated and it was able to send an eldar ship several moments back in time just to make targeting easier before it eviscerated it. Overall the tech level of mankind at it's height seems to actually be somewhere between eldar and necron levels of bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
It's still a long ways off, but I'm curious to see how you guys will handle Winter Assault.
This thread got me to reinstall the game and give it another attempt. But 15 years later I still have no idea what Relic expected you to do to win those campaigns.