Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saoshyant posted:

I don't get the context? What's he referring to?

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1283452224476270592?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

I wish Kot wrote better comics cuz everything else about him is good.

I liked his James Bond book The Body.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yikes! Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The reason Twitter went down yesterday is that they were trying to stop Tom King from posting this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't understand how you can write a Rorschach comic nowadays and not make it about Q.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I don't understand how you can write a Rorschach comic nowadays and not make it about Q.

Q. The Question. It all makes sense now.

Actually, I think taking Rorschach all the way to Q would be a problem unless he was the unhinged guy who thought they were unhinged. Rorschach as a character follows his absolutist moral compass. It's generally a pretty lovely moral compass, but the fact that occasionally it keeps him pointing in the right direction while other people falter makes him interesting. So if Rorschach got into Q, he'd be storming Comet Ping Pong that night. At that point, you have to make him horribly wrong which loses the inherent conflict in the character or you have to make him, and by extension Q, right.

If Rorschach is going to have any positive traits at all, then you can't associate him with Q. If you did, then no matter how you structure it, it becomes a pro-Q story.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Random Stranger posted:

Q. The Question. It all makes sense now.

Actually, I think taking Rorschach all the way to Q would be a problem unless he was the unhinged guy who thought they were unhinged. Rorschach as a character follows his absolutist moral compass. It's generally a pretty lovely moral compass, but the fact that occasionally it keeps him pointing in the right direction while other people falter makes him interesting. So if Rorschach got into Q, he'd be storming Comet Ping Pong that night. At that point, you have to make him horribly wrong which loses the inherent conflict in the character or you have to make him, and by extension Q, right.

If Rorschach is going to have any positive traits at all, then you can't associate him with Q. If you did, then no matter how you structure it, it becomes a pro-Q story.

The thing about Q is that it does have a hold of a nugget of something true; our ruling class are all monstrous pedophiles. But for some reason instead of looking at any of the actual Epstein, Trump, Prince Andrew, Franklin Credit Ring, Catholic Church stuff, they make up a weird conspiracy about pizza parlors and underground tunnels. So if Rorschach got into Q it could be a thing where he thinks he's getting somewhere with it but then realizes it's all nonsense obfuscating the truth, or he thinks he's found allied but it turns out they're nuts, or something like that.

But my larger point is that doing a Rorschach character without dealing with what a person like that would be up to nowadays in the real world is just cowardice. Rorschach was a disturbed, angry, lonely young man with a conspiratorial bent and a belief that he is the only person who sees the true face of the world. The world that that person would be navigating now is very different from what it was in the 80s. And, frankly, exploring that is the only good reason to write a new Rorschach comic today.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I'm not trusting the former spook to do a good expose on Q though either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Noted comics writer, war criminal Tom Taylor

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
We don't like Tom King now? Everyone was fellating his Vision a few years ago, weren't they?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

We don't like Tom King now? Everyone was fellating his Vision a few years ago, weren't they?

People started turning hard on him about halfway through his Batman. I don't mind his writing but there's a decent chance he's a war criminal.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Noted comics writer, war criminal Tom Taylor

i cant believe tom taylor used mustard gas on those emus

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think with King the tipping point was Catwoman deciding she couldn’t marry Batman because she thought he couldn’t be happy to be effective or some such nonsense.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and, y'know, Heroes in Crisis happened

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I think with King the tipping point was Catwoman deciding she couldn’t marry Batman because she thought he couldn’t be happy to be effective or some such nonsense.

I like how Marvel also did the wedding fakeout thing right around the same time, but did it so much better by having two other people immediately actually get married in the same issue.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m a big Tom King fan, but that’s 100% from his character-focused miniseries.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Alaois posted:

No. No it did not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So they added the first part of the 90's Daimon Hellstrom series to Marvel Unlimited today, the same day the TV show was launched and i realized two things, they changed the spelling for the TV show to Helstrom with one "L" and the name of the 90's book is actually "Hellstorm: Prince of Lies"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Alaois posted:

Amazing how that's the exact moment the comics Internet started caring what he did for a living before he wrote comics.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

So they added the first part of the 90's Daimon Hellstrom series to Marvel Unlimited today, the same day the TV show was launched and i realized two things, they changed the spelling for the TV show to Helstrom with one "L" and the name of the 90's book is actually "Hellstorm: Prince of Lies"

I remember being pretty turned off by how edgy Hellstorm was trying to be back when it was a current series. I'm wondering if it's better out of context...

Of course it won't be. 90's edge ages poorly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

I remember being pretty turned off by how edgy Hellstorm was trying to be back when it was a current series. I'm wondering if it's better out of context...

Of course it won't be. 90's edge ages poorly.

I know people who jumped onto it because they were diehard Ellis fans and came away disappointed. I think it did 'Heaven is actually the evil one' before that was really overplayed, if it helps.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I think it did 'Heaven is actually the evil one' before that was really overplayed, if it helps.

I thought it was a 90's series, not a 60's series. :v:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
wait there's a hellstrom tv series?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

wait there's a hellstrom tv series?

Well, 'Helstrom' but yeah. It's on Hulu. Damian and (Sat)Ana are occult investigators or something.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, so that sounds lame

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dawgstar posted:

Well, 'Helstrom' but yeah. It's on Hulu. Damian and (Sat)Ana are occult investigators or something.

I haven’t watched it and have no plans to do so. by all accounts it’s a pretty generic “investigators of the demonic” supernatural drama that does little to nothing to distinguish itself from other shows like Evil that are doing the same general thing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Amazing how that's the exact moment the comics Internet started caring what he did for a living before he wrote comics.

lol okay dog

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I read posts talking about King's CIA background as early as the carnival issue of Batman, so well before people started to really sour on him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I know people who jumped onto it because they were diehard Ellis fans and came away disappointed. I think it did 'Heaven is actually the evil one' before that was really overplayed, if it helps.

Was Ellis a big deal when it came out? Transmetropolitan, Planetary and The Authority all came later.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think it was definitely more of a "back issue find" once he picked up a following, I know that's how I picked it up. Though he definitely had a buzz about him (not hurt by him being an early adopter of Comics Pro On the Internet via Compuserve/Usenet) within a year or two of Hellstorm when he was doing Excalibur and Doom 2099. But pre-Hellstorm he'd done a bunch of comics journalism in the UK, some Lazarus Churchyard stories, and a back-up in a Ghost Rider Annual.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

(not hurt by him being an early adopter of Comics Pro On the Internet via Compuserve/Usenet)

Warren Ellis was one of the first ever reply guys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, he was a goon for a hot minute.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I mean, he was a goon for a hot minute.

Not enough curvy goonettes, so he left.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Not enough curvy goonettes, so he left.

Gavok and I both got healthy, what you gonna do

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

I think it was definitely more of a "back issue find" once he picked up a following, I know that's how I picked it up. Though he definitely had a buzz about him (not hurt by him being an early adopter of Comics Pro On the Internet via Compuserve/Usenet) within a year or two of Hellstorm when he was doing Excalibur and Doom 2099. But pre-Hellstorm he'd done a bunch of comics journalism in the UK, some Lazarus Churchyard stories, and a back-up in a Ghost Rider Annual.

Right. People went after it in a frenzy of 'this is the best writer EVER!' which didn't work out very well for them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Thinking because someone wrote whatever your definition of best comic/book/movie/tv show ever is all their other work must also be brilliant , especially the stuff that was much, much less popular than what made you like them, and then realizing there's a reason it was less popular than their breakout hit is a very common part of being a nerd.

It was Gaiman's Black Orchid for me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Thinking because someone wrote whatever your definition of best comic/book/movie/tv show ever is all their other work must also be brilliant , especially the stuff that was much, much less popular than what made you like them, and then realizing there's a reason it was less popular than their breakout hit is a very common part of being a nerd.

It was Gaiman's Black Orchid for me.

For me it was that hot minute when Byrne and Claremont both tried their hands at novels. (And this was extremely pre-internet, so all I knew of Byrne was 'he did the FF and the X-Men and I dug them.')

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

For me it was that hot minute when Byrne and Claremont both tried their hands at novels. (And this was extremely pre-internet, so all I knew of Byrne was 'he did the FF and the X-Men and I dug them.')

What, you didn't like the sequel to Willow where they killed off the entire cast in the first thirty pages and then rename anyone who was left to something completely different?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I liked most of Alan Moore's early stuff, barring his highschool zine stuff that I've never really gotten into. Voice of the Fire I also liked, though I haven't read his newer novel yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I put a large lot of Deadpool comics up for sale on the FB marketplace with the condition that it's a cash only sale and I will only meet in the parking lot of the local PD and the first person to contact me is trying to strong-arm me into meeting at 9pm in a somewhat lovely part of town.

Why yes thank you I would like to get murdered over comics.