Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ebola Dog posted:

The most irritating bug I ran into was with the prawn suit in the alien bases at the end of the game. You are clearly supposed to take the prawn into the bases as their is even a mining node for it but any slope had a high chance of bugging the prawn out and rendering it immobile, even the grapple wouldn't get it moving again. When you got out of the stuck prawn you would also be a half height or partly sunk in the floor. The only way I got it moving again was cheating in a repulsion gun to knock it free.

This almost ruined the endgame experience for me. Unlike a lot of people my playthrough had been bugfree and extremely pleasent until this.

I had to fly the prawn around the final base just to keep it from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I think we can all agree most bugs are bad and hinder enjoyment. Amplified by Subnautica's very modern "Why would you need more than one save per game?" aesthetic.

On the other side, subnautica and factorio are about the only survival crafting games that are fun.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Ebola Dog posted:

The only way I got it moving again was cheating in a repulsion gun to knock it free.

Dang, wish I'd thought of that.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
A lot of it comes down to what you play on. Pc I had some minor bugs and crashes, the playstation version was almost unplayable for me with how severe and frequent the bugs were.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ebola Dog posted:

The most irritating bug I ran into was with the prawn suit in the alien bases at the end of the game. You are clearly supposed to take the prawn into the bases as their is even a mining node for it but any slope had a high chance of bugging the prawn out and rendering it immobile, even the grapple wouldn't get it moving again. When you got out of the stuck prawn you would also be a half height or partly sunk in the floor. The only way I got it moving again was cheating in a repulsion gun to knock it free.

:same:

My playthrough was more or less bug free for me until I got down to the endgame area. That plus clipping through a random wall into nullspace really irritated me.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Switch version is like.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I only really got one bad bug in New Vegas. The one door going from the first half of the STrip to the second area would fail to load the cell most of the time. It was pretty easy to just fast travel and avoid the door completely. I haven't really had any bugs aside from the "fish in base" thing myself in Subnautica.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I do recall a Subnautica bug now. On my sub I was trying to fit as many locker storages in it as I could. I had the room before the piloting room set up as a bedroom with shelves and plants and aquariums and stuff. At first everything was cool, but then I found a way to stuff even more lockers and plants in. You could actually place wall-lockers really high up in the sub, so much so they would clip out of the wall a little. Those big pretty trees with the glowing fruit that look dope in your sub with the lights off also tended to clip out through the walls. Well there's a critical mass of poo poo you can have breaking the ships geometry before it starts jittering like crazy and sometimes jittered me out into the water. Had to remove like a dozen empty lockers and slightly move my plants.

I think eventually I removed some more stuff just because it became a fire hazard, like, when the ship got real damaged it became hard to get around and fix things up.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think I once got stuck inside a wreck I was exploring and I also had a Seamoth permaglue itself onto the Aurora.

Those are literally the only bugs I've had in my one playthrough.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Literally the only bugs?! Bullshit, unless you didn't get far enough for the lava and rock bugs. Not technically bugs I guess, but also I don't even know how you go about taxonomigrifying fake alien lifeforms, the game just kinda has it as fauna

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
At one point I started encountering a weird issue where like 50-75% of the doors I would cut through would show the chunk cutting out but then wouldn't actually let me though, like it forgot to disable the collision. Sometimes it would only partially disable collision so you could get through at just the right angle, only to find yourself trapped inside with no way out.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I had one outright game breaking bug in the Aurora where I got stuck at water level inside a ramp up. I got around that by console shenanigans. I also encountered weird geometry in wreckage a couple times that I got around in the same way. Teleporting 2 meters fixed each issue. I did see some very slow loading down in the Lost River when I was grappling around in the Prawn and I actually had to slow down a few times to be sure that I wouldn't go careening through a non-loaded wall.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh drat I remember the Aurora being kind of weird because they weren't expecting the player to abuse base-building mechanics to build an elevator up over the ship itself and didn't have collision for a lot of the top.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Khanstant posted:

Oh drat I remember the Aurora being kind of weird because they weren't expecting the player to abuse base-building mechanics to build an elevator up over the ship itself and didn't have collision for a lot of the top.

That reminds me of a bug I did experience. If you build a base on a wreck, the model disappears. Makes for easy looting.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ikanreed posted:

That reminds me of a bug I did experience. If you build a base on a wreck, the model disappears. Makes for easy looting.

My favorite Convenient Bug was that they never removed the ability to build things directly onto base ladders :allears: Which I discovered when it I tried it out of frustration after the Nth time an empty patch of wall wasn't legal because ???

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I think my favorite bugs come from EA where in one playthrough a reaper spawned under the map in the mountain biome, grabbed me through the wall of a cave, and left me stranded underneath the map.

The other one was that after a while in a save game in experimental EA some of the sound files would stop playing. Which would lead to silent Reapers (this was while they were still moving the reaper spawns around and building the map).

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

ZearothK posted:

Those are literally the only bugs I've had in my one playthrough.

I must have gotten lucky too. I didn't have many bugs either. My prawn clipped through the wall of one of the alien bases. I had to abandon it in there. That was about it.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
This bug chat is fascinating. I experienced the "walking on land underwater" bug and the "fish swimming through my base" bug.

The craziest bug I experienced was when my seamoth glitched out and disappeared, but the seamoth beacon/icon was still visible.

The seamoth was over 3 km away from where I was. "How is that possible?" I thought, "The map isn't that big."

And you know what? The map isn't that big.

I struck out with my seaglide and went towards the icon.

What actually happened was that I ended up in void water. I kept on swimming because I made it this far.

Where I ended up was the "safe shallows", but it was like a creepy version of the shallows. All of the landscape was there, but there was nothing else - no fish, no nodes.

My seamoth was there though! I got in and motored back to real space, from wherever the hell I was.

That was a weird experience. I had no idea that this part of the ocean was roundish and that there could be multiple instances of the world in the same game.

It was weird as hell.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
My most memorable bug occurred just before launching my rocket. I got inside, starting flipping switches when the whole thing, platform included, was suddenly catapulted into the air and then safely landed like a km away near the Aurora's engine. I promptly finished the sequence before any other crazy poo poo happened. No idea what caused it. Maybe a reefback or other creature bumped into it and the physics system went berserk.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Vasler posted:

It was weird as hell.

The funniest bug I had that was also entirely oh god what the gently caress that almost broke my save was uh, in the deep coral reefs going for the degasi sea base and getting clowned by jellysquids.

That wasn't the bug. That was the setup.

The bug was the entire degasi seabase in that area - the prop as a whole - being doinked off its perch as if it was hit by a repulsion cannon, just sorta, you know, becoming unstuck and teetering into the abyss.

If it wasn't so obviously glitchy - and I hadn't needed scans and such from inside it - it would have been cool if it was better handled.

instead the whole building just sorta glitch-flopped into the abyss, like, as a whole prop.

Spoiler alert, this thing

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

At one point I started encountering a weird issue where like 50-75% of the doors I would cut through would show the chunk cutting out but then wouldn't actually let me though, like it forgot to disable the collision. Sometimes it would only partially disable collision so you could get through at just the right angle, only to find yourself trapped inside with no way out.

I got something like that too, apparently one mode of that bug is the game putting two doors over each other in the same location. The first cutting action only cuts the first (visible) door, then I could cut again to remove the second (still-blocking but invisible) door.

Kind of annoying but luckily far from a game ending glitch.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Speaking of bugchat, I just realized that I'm experiencing a bug where your Seamoth blows itself up while docked inside the Cyclops when you move the Cyclops around. Anyone experienced this one, or have any ideas on a fix? It seems to be a recent addition to Subnautica's bug repertoire.

Remora fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 18, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

no but i did have a bug once where when i went to dock the seamoth, the cyclops' doors shut on the seamoth while it was docking and blew it up

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I once tried to dock the prawn but missed, the impact somehow moved the cyclops thousands of kilometers away outside the map

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

So how does this play on a PS4 pro? I did have it on PC, but I haven't played it in a long while. The ridiculous pop in drove me a bit insane so I gave up on it.
Did they improve the pop in problems?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jacada posted:

So how does this play on a PS4 pro? I did have it on PC, but I haven't played it in a long while. The ridiculous pop in drove me a bit insane so I gave up on it.

not even slightly

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I was scooting around in the sea moth towards a beacon one time. A wreck spawned on top of me and it was toast. Pissed me off a lot and I took a break for a while after that. The game is so good it’s a shame it didn’t get the polish it deserved. That’s why I probably won’t play below zero.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Jacada posted:

i just played a game on a ps4 pro. everything was pretty fine (they just released a decent patch) until the end when my game wouldn't let me save and i'd just had the "seamoth exploding in cyclops" bug which made me already replay that exact section already, so i had to rush through the last bit of the game without quitting (putting into low power mode between sessions, so no other games or anything).

its almost worth it, cuz the game really is a fun, unique experience. depends on how bad your glitches are i guess and how much patience you have to work around them.

a real 50/50

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I had forgotten I did have the issues with the Prawn suit moving around that one end game location but I also managed to mostly work around that by using the grapple hook and swinging around which was actually kind of fun. But my other bugs were mostly harmless like that one time a lava lizard fully clipped into my base at the entrance to the active lava zone and just sat there yelling at me and trying to move around but being unable to swim. Also the camera on my Cyclops kept glitching and sliding away from the bump it was on during a play session. It was corrected on reload, but sometimes if I played for long enough it would end up floating disconnected from the Cyclops entirely.

Also I had the usual issues with sea Satan clipping through walls but it was not really an issue as I spent almost all my time down that deep in my Cyclops or my Prawn Suit.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I had the Prawn Suit mobility issues as well, but was able to work around them. They only happened to me in alien bases, starting with the one in the Lost River, and at first I thought it might be intentional. It's not, obviously, and it was a pain in the rear end, but didn't mar my experience too badly, and I loved everything else about it.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I had the falling out of the Cyclops at random and suddenly not swimming in the ocean bugs which seem fairly common and were not quite annoying enough to be deal-breakers, but I also had a bug where the game just straight froze almost immediately after resuming a save near the tree in the Lost River and nothing I tried got around it. I was trying to run it on a very old computer at the time, don't know how much that had to do w/ it. I still love and recommend the game, just with reliability warnings, and really hope Below Zero is more stable.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Wow these bug accounts are making me rethink how I feel about it to be honest.

Game....bad?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Just Offscreen posted:

Game....bad?

Nah, it’s just American Eurojank

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Just Offscreen posted:

Game....bad?

No, it's a sea of contrasts.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

During my current play my Prawn keeps getting stuck on upramps and small indentations in alien bases. It wasn't nearly this bad before, but I guess it was just my turn. Thankfully grappling the ceiling pulls it free.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Eurojank: oopsies, some of our npcs don't wear pants, it's too funny to patch out :pwn:

Amerijank: there is a 50/50 chance that your savefile will be permanently corrupted :filez:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Just Offscreen posted:

Game....bad?
The fact that the current forms of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series are some of the most popular games on every platform they exist for demonstrates how little this matters IMO. A game can be a janky mess with game-breaking bugs and still be a net good.

And tbh at least if you're playing on PC the ability to manually back up your save file combined with the developer console means you can usually unfuck anything that's glitched, at least enough to unbreak the game.

If you're playing on a console, :rip:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Yeah the very fact that you used :rip: for the console release kinda proves my point here.

By comparison the console releases of bethesda games are downright stable should tell you something.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The only noteworthy bugs I've run into in original SN are turning into a midget after taking a Prawn through a teleport gate.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Skyrim doesn't temporarily disable cheevos if I use the console to bypass cutscene glitches turning fatal rather than start a fresh game :v: Which I discovered was added to Subnautica on launch day, when the opening cutscene fire extinguisher was floating in the air unable to be interacted with even through death and respawn.

I think about that, whenever people try to bring up the Bethseda comparisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I stopped watch dogs 2 because of a glitch or bug or whatever but I don’t go post in their thread about it years after the fact. But yeah, the launch day interactions of the dev console and achievements, everyone got those details? Which console commands exactly? Was it all achievements? Fascinating stuff, don’t leave us hanging!