Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Is it possible for christian faiths to gain ecumenism that don't already have it at the start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

super fart shooter posted:

Is it possible for christian faiths to gain ecumenism that don't already have it at the start?

Not for custom offshoots, no. Iconoclasm can get it via a special decision, which they can take if they control Constantinople (it gives ecumenism to Iconoclasm and takes it away from Orthodox), but that is it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

You can also technically get Ecumenism if you mend the schism, but that also causes every other faith to lose it so it's something of a moot point.

FrickenMoron posted:

I finally created the empire of Russia, having a ruler with amazing learning was enough to reform the faith and stay alive long enough to conquer enough counties to found the empire. Some questions:

- I gave the kingdoms that already were created to my children, kept those though that have personal holdings of mine. Can I give out this kingdom title to someone too or will I lose my holdings?
- My current heir has no positive traits, i'm in 966 and still feudal so no "heir of choice" for me. Would it be worth to spend the renown to disinherit him? It will pick the next oldest child in line I guess?
- My heir will keep the emperor title, but will I retain all the vassals?

Are you still in Confederate Partition? This is pretty important for answering the other questions.

As for #2, this is a personal preference thing I feel. Some people value 150 renown more than others, personally I don't really cringe when I use it every few generations. But to answer your question, yes, if you disinherit your primary heir it will go to the next in line.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 17, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yea it's hard to place a value on Renown without knowing how much you gain per month. It doesn't scale with gain at all, so I always find it way too steep a price in the early game, and I'd rather gamble with getting them killed in battle.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

PittTheElder posted:

So I just realized you can't build barracks buildings in all terrain; won a crusade for Egypt and figured I'd play over there, but now I have no idea what I'm doing with my MaA setup. It wants me to build orchards for levies but um, no, and I don't really see any other good options. Camelry and light cavalry I guess?

Dunno if you need Outremere culture to get, but those Chasseurs (Light Cav) MaA seem pretty loving insane. Damage and toughness are close to Amoured Knights but aren't nearly as badly penalized in bad terrain. They have an absurd Pursuit rating so you are really savaging enemy stacks even if they make it out of early phase.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Kinda surprised there are no achievements for doing actual crusader king stuff in CK3.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

I'm not sure why my Just, Calm, and Gregarious 22 year old King hated this particular 8 year old so much, but apparently he's dancing on her grave.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Did an Arpad start, formed Hungary, said gently caress Christianity and reformed Taltosism, formed the glorious Empire of Carpathia stretching from Wallachia to Finland and the Steppes to the Alps. Fended off an angry Pope and many greedy Byzantine invasions. My learned line of polygamous horse lords ruled with dignity and grace no one expected of them.

But man, gently caress the Mongols. Now I'm just the Grand Prince of loving nowhere useful.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
There desperately needs to be some indicator for “you can siege this province but not that one.”

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ulmont posted:

There desperately needs to be some indicator for “you can siege this province but not that one.”

Under normal circumstances I believe you can only siege castles and tribes. Sometimes I've noticed other holdings needing to be sieged, and I think this is because of the Marches duchy building which gives everything in the duchy some fort level.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Broken Cog posted:

Kinda surprised there are no achievements for doing actual crusader king stuff in CK3.

Frankokratia and Wily as the Fox kinda are if you're counting the fourth one.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Magil Zeal posted:

Under normal circumstances I believe you can only siege castles and tribes. Sometimes I've noticed other holdings needing to be sieged, and I think this is because of the Marches duchy building which gives everything in the duchy some fort level.

There's also some events or whatever that can give temporary countywide fort bonuses, so cities and temple holdings become fortified

Usually it's easy to tell where to siege by just looking at the map for the holdings with walls, although I've noticed that if something gets those temporary fortifications, it doesn't always update the graphics right away unless you reload the game

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think there's some situation in which it outlines fortified baronies with faint blue dots, but I'm not sure exactly what causes it.

e: What they should do is have fortified baronies in enemy countries glow when you have an army selected, with a different color if you would take attrition moving to them.

megane fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 18, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The blue dots mark war objectives.

MikeC posted:

Dunno if you need Outremere culture to get, but those Chasseurs (Light Cav) MaA seem pretty loving insane. Damage and toughness are close to Amoured Knights but aren't nearly as badly penalized in bad terrain. They have an absurd Pursuit rating so you are really savaging enemy stacks even if they make it out of early phase.

The only way to get Outremer culture is to conquer all of Arabia and Syria right?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

PittTheElder posted:

The only way to get Outremer culture is to conquer all of Arabia and Syria right?

Yeah, it can only appear after utterly winning the Crusades. Which is super lovely compared to CK2 and an overall weird design decision.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

No Pants posted:

Yeah, it can only appear after utterly winning the Crusades. Which is super lovely compared to CK2 and an overall weird design decision.

No, thats false. You can create outremer culture if you just have Jerusalem. You need all of Arabia etc to form the Outremer Empire, which is different.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wait how do you form Outremer culture then? I didn't see anything about it as King of Jerusalem

E: oh it's because you have to be in the Frankish culture group. So as a German I can't do it. There are so many utterly bizarre design decisions in this game.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 18, 2020

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Wait how do you form Outremer culture then? I didn't see anything about it as King of Jerusalem

You have to be frankish culture, you should see it under decisions

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
It doesn't even have to be Jerusalem, I converted to Outremer culture after winning a crusade in Morocco

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

OctaMurk posted:

No, thats false. You can create outremer culture if you just have Jerusalem. You need all of Arabia etc to form the Outremer Empire, which is different.

Oh, I read the wiki entry wrong. Your liege has to be Outremer OR you have to have the right fame level.

Edit: Looking at the other create-culture decisions, all of them require French people. Disgusting!

No Pants fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 18, 2020

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

PittTheElder posted:

E: oh it's because you have to be in the Frankish culture group. So as a German I can't do it. There are so many utterly bizarre design decisions in this game.

Well to be fair, the term Outremer literally comes from the French for "Overseas" (outre-mer). The crusades were so dominated by Frenchmen that the Muslim kingdoms didn't refer to the crusaders Christians usually, they just called them Franks. It's one of the design choices I agree with.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
So this has been out a while now - whats the final verdict compared to CK2 with all the DLC? Should I hop in now or should I be waiting for a patch/dust to settle still?

Whats the biggest improvements people like? And what feels like it's missing from CK2?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So how exactly do you get a city holding vassal to fall into "valid government"? I'm not sure how it worked when I made it flip over to working correctly, and in a new game it's just a bunch of "wrong govt, no money for you"

It was in a zoroastrian game and this is a muslim one so maybe it's a liege kingdom rules thing, but I don't really understand. I assumed one unlanded person granted the city would just turn to a grand city or whatever but... Nope?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Captain Beans posted:

So this has been out a while now - whats the final verdict compared to CK2 with all the DLC? Should I hop in now or should I be waiting for a patch/dust to settle still?

Whats the biggest improvements people like? And what feels like it's missing from CK2?

I dunno about a final verdict, but I like it. A lot of the bloat has been cut away and streamlined but there are definitely tradeoffs. Like the gaminess of raising troops at movable rally points is a nice QoL but it is also weird since you can basically teleport your retinue troops around. No Primogeniture until late game was really awkward at first but then I just realized it made early and mid-game more interesting instead of just ultra blobbing super fast all the time. Definitely a Christian and Norse only game atm though. Muslim and other Pagan factions seem thin or shoehorned into the feudal vassal system. I haven't felt the need to go back to CK 2 despite having the full boat of DLC.

If you have xbox gamepass on PC it is on there for "free".

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Is there a way to choose your children's education focuses if you aren't playing them? If there is, I can't find the button.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Most of the CK2 DLC stuff is there, but in a sort of stub form. For instance, on the disease and health front, there are some disease events, and you can hire a court physician and have him treat you -- more in-depth than CK2 without Reaper's Due, but not nearly as in-depth as with it. So it's like they included 10-30% of each DLC in the base game, if that makes sense.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Red Crown posted:

Is there a way to choose your children's education focuses if you aren't playing them? If there is, I can't find the button.

Yeah it’s the button on their portrait in the bottom left (crossed swords for martial, dagger for intrigue, etc; you can change it once per child).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

I have a dozen little complaints about the game but I find it's every bit as addicting as CK2 was and I think it cuts out a lot of the bloat and bullshit, but it needs some love for little bugs/oddities and a Ruler Designer. While I do miss things like Republican/Imperial governments, I feel confident there's enough playtime crammed in there to keep me occupied until those drop. Plus I'm having fun modding it too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Uhm,

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Try taking the War Target

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Yeah it looks like your war target is the Kingdom of Wales and you're occupying a bunch of counties in... Sweden?

Edit: On the bright side if that was a misclick on the wrong kingdom when declaring I'm pretty sure the Invasion CB gives you all the counties you occupy, even outside the war target.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 18, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah it looks like your war target is the Kingdom of Wales and you're occupying a bunch of counties in... Sweden?

Edit: On the bright side if that was a misclick on the wrong kingdom when declaring I'm pretty sure the Invasion CB gives you all the counties you occupy, even outside the war target.

It was the Kingdom of Sweden and then it turned into the Kingdom of Wales (despite the king not being the holder of that title). After occupying territories all across Europe it ended but :wtc:

Very confusing.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Please help me fix this, my countrymen are dying

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

Yet another thing they need to bring back is secret religions/false conversions. Start your own polyamourous incestuous cult, then get holy war-ed when you fail a recruitment and someone goes running to the pope to tattle on you.

Oh that isn't just there for everyone? That sucks. I loved undermining the east as an undercover Zoroastrian trying to bring about the Persian Empire again.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Captain Beans posted:

It's definitely easier to play and I love the 3d portraits which I didn't expect.
I find the various factions way too samey though, there is really very little difference from playing as the emperor of byzantium to a pagan goatherd in mali.

Also I think the UI is a sidegrade, most of the things I really wanted out of a new UI aren't there and no keybindings.
I think they improved it a bit but until last patch it used to take no poo poo like 30 clicks to organise your high quality troops in a war.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dikkfor posted:

Please help me fix this, my countrymen are dying

Raise fewer levies.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Any tricks to reforming Suomenusko? Generating piety feels very difficult with their tenets as it's mostly just waiting and pilgrimage.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Thrasophius posted:

Oh that isn't just there for everyone? That sucks. I loved undermining the east as an undercover Zoroastrian trying to bring about the Persian Empire again.

There's a "false conversions" tenet, but sadly it isn't anything like the old system. All it does is make counties harder to convert and make people who convert away sometimes flip back later. You can't have a "secret religion" like in CK2 at all.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Is there a way to make defending a crusade more fun or interesting, or just over faster? The pope keeps calling crusades on me and I'm able to easily crush the enemy in battles, but it takes so long to route armies and the enemy is extremely disorganized. It's extremely unfun to be defending for 8 years. Last time he did this I had to march an army down to Rome to take out the papacy directly and now it's happening again and ugggh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

submit to god's will