Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aw Shux is this weekend and SUSD have started putting up preview videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0naQLvBGkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkKXKoAnMEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3vSQfdLptc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkkXfUxYUf4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG3Vf2Aur08

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just some light viewing for the weekend

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shut up and Sit Down version of Don't Get Got went up on KS as well.

Don't Get Got is really really good at house parties, but I can't in good conscience recommend a party game for the majority of the world right now... cause yeah.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Does anyone have opinions on Villages of Valeria?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Magnetic North posted:

What's an example of the former? Would that be a better starting point?

The 22-family, 46, NY, most Hecht Games, even 17 has elements of "Run good companies" because bad companies get shorted and that's bad.

I kind of wish there was a run-good-companies game with the same scale as 30, though there are obviously lots of games that cover part of it.

I think '30 branch games are generally the best starting point becuase of their relative simplicity, '89 is the classic starter, but Chessie is a less mean version.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

FulsomFrank posted:

For the 18xxers out there: how worth it would it be to order a copy of 18MEX from AAG? I've got 1830, 1844/54, 1846, and have 1849, 1822, and 1861/67 whenever they arrive/get printed.

What are peoples' thoughts on it in general? Is it a "run a good company" game or a "stock market shenanigans and lol you got dumped dummy" game?

I love 18MEX, I think it's Mark Derrick's best design and the culmination of all his State games (TN, GA, AL, MS, etc.)!

1830ish game, but the wrinkles are pretty good. There are several minor companies that pour their treasury into majors when they close. The board is pretty well-balanced: Mexico City is great but not the end of the world if you don't get in. Every company has little pros and cons in their personality(?).

But the real feature is the NdM: a private that gives you a presidency you can't start until 5 3Ts are bought. The NdM kinda works like the SBB in 44 (have to buy trains at full price even from other companies) BUT can merge with one of the Mexican Majors when the first 5T is bought (American Majors can not, natch). There is a lot of jostling for the merge as it can let you dodge one of the faster train rushes in 18xx... or maybe everyone will turn you down? :unsmigghh:

18Mex is second only to 1849 in my heart. It's got the right balance for me of "run good companies" and "lol you got dumped dummy" in it!

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 16, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bellmaker posted:

I love 18MEX, I think it's Mark Derrick's best design and the culmination of all his State games (TN, GA, AL, MS, etc.)!

1830ish game, but the wrinkles are pretty good. There are several minor companies that pour their treasury into majors when they close. The board is pretty well-balanced: Mexico City is great but not the end of the world if you don't get in. Every company has little pros and cons in their personality(?).

But the real feature is the NdM: a private that gives you a presidency you can't start until 5 3Ts are bought. The NdM kinda works like the SBB in 44 (have to buy trains at full price even from other companies) BUT can merge with one of the Mexican Majors when the first 5T is bought (American Majors can not, natch). There is a lot of jostling for the merge as it can let you dodge one of the faster train rushes in 18xx... or maybe everyone will turn you down? :unsmigghh:

18Mex is second only to 1849 in my heart. It's got the right balance for me of "run good companies" and "lol you got dumped dummy" in it!

Thanks for this and everyone else who chimed in. I pulled the trigger because for some unknown reason these series of games are a huge hit with people I would never expect them to be hits with and I can't get enough. Looking forward to getting it on the table.

One last question: what play count do you think works best for this? We usually can get four people together without too much trouble.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Has anyone played Godzilla Tokyo Clash? It's on sale, Prospero Hall has a pretty decent track record, and...it's Godzilla.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

FulsomFrank posted:

Thanks for this and everyone else who chimed in. I pulled the trigger because for some unknown reason these series of games are a huge hit with people I would never expect them to be hits with and I can't get enough. Looking forward to getting it on the table.

One last question: what play count do you think works best for this? We usually can get four people together without too much trouble.

4 is solid, and I like it at 5 unlike a lot of other 18xxes. There's 8 major companies (7 plus the NdM).

Magnetic North posted:

I was like "quick, to make a game deep in the past to get those sales' but someone beat me to it

There's also Poseidon :v:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 16, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Anyone played the game Campaign Trail from Grey Fox games?

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
Is the steam version of Spirit Island worth it if I mainly want to play single player? Missus and our regular gaming group found it too heavy, but I feel like I'm more likely to play it on computer than on table top if just playing solo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3vSQfdLptc

Just got through the Euro previews.

- The Red Cathedral I am most likely to pick this up based off the preview. Artwork looks great. Systems look great. The dice resource system looks interesting. Fairly straight forward and looks relatively quick to play. Lovely. Already extremely disappointed I can't buy it yet.
- New York Zoo Uwe Rosenburg. Tetrominoes. Animal loving. I'm currently torn on if I want to pick this up for myself, or gift it out to a friend. All I know is it looks quick, simple, and I really want to play it. ...I'm probably going to buy it because the meeples are gorgeous.
- Renature From the Azul designers. I have a mate who adores all of their stuff, so I'm going to be recommending he check this out. Looks like a simple to teach, hard to master domino area control game. Not something I'd personally purchase, as I think Azul gets the job done 99% of the time, but would gladly sit down and play if brought to the table. I think the dominoes are going to give a really lovely tactile feel to the game as well.
- Catan: Legend of the Conqeurors - Seems like a Legacy campaign for Cities & Knights expansion. It's Catan, this is either your thing or it isn't. It's not for me personally, and I pretty much skipped watching it.
- Lost Ruins of Arnak - If you like games like Lords of Waterdeep or Champions of Midgard you'll probably be very interested in this. The twist seems to be some deck building involved for resource management rather than a typical open hand. I've got a couple of people in my game group who I'll be recommending this too, as I'm sure they'd love to have it for their collections. And honestly who doesn't love worker placement games?
- The Transcontinental - 18xx peeps will probably want to check this out. It looks very crunchy and I'm afraid to say it didn't really hook me. It's designed AND illustrated by the same guy, Glen Dresser, and I think that's a very big feather in his cap; as the artwork looks beautiful. I'm sure the 18xx crew will want to investigate further and will probably be better able to comment on it than I could.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*weeps in table space*

(Hyperlanes ensure everybody is equally distanced from one another.)

I'm planning on picking up Twilight Imperium next year, and I'll likely want Prophecy of Kings at the same time.
lol playing this with 8 players is going to be insane due to the sheer table space required to host it. It would legitimately be a deciding factor on if I wanted to host an 8 player game, and I'm not sure how I'd pull it off in my home.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 17, 2020

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Quick question about Spirit Island:

If a card says 'If you have X element, you can do Y' does that mean all elements in your hard or only from cards you play that turn?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Infinitum posted:

*weeps in table space*

(Hyperlanes ensure everybody is equally distanced from one another.)

I'm planning on picking up Twilight Imperium next year, and I'll likely want Prophecy of Kings at the same time.
lol playing this with 8 players is going to be insane due to the sheer table space required to host it. It would legitimately be a deciding factor on if I wanted to host an 8 player game, and I'm not sure how I'd pull it off in my home.

Nobody has ever played TI with eight, it's just too slow and too big. I doubt 4th edition is going to make it any more likely

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Frankston posted:

If a card says 'If you have X element, you can do Y' does that mean all elements in your hard or only from cards you play that turn?

cards played.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I impulse-bought Flash Point (and the mini-expansion that contains a playable dog character, obviously) since it looked cool and my partner liked the theme. And well, if I want to play games with her, that's an even more important consideration than normal!

Just wondering though; if I like it and get more expansions, is it possible to keep things to one box? I imagine I'd have to ditch the cardboard insert ASAP. But otherwise, is there any recommended setup to utilize? Like, do any of the expansions come in a jumbo box (and therefore should be a priority to get first, over other expacks) and/or are any of the inserts essential?

EDIT: Oh yeah! And what about 3rd party stuff for it? As in tokens/markers, etc. I stumbled upon a couple on BGG for smoke etc, which looked good. Are there any generally highly-regarded ones that I should look at, (especially if they make certain tasks/processes easier or help things stand out against board clutter etc) or is it not really worthwhile, in your opinions?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 17, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Frankston posted:

Cards you played this turn. Certain spirits also get symbols on their energy/cardplay tracks, which are always in-effect; certain spirits even get elements in their growth options, which you can use if you chose that growth option in the current turn.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mojo Jojo posted:

Nobody has ever played TI with eight, it's just too slow and too big. I doubt 4th edition is going to make it any more likely

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I'm a sucker for ridiculously complex and sprawling board games. Like, I cannot wait to turn a game I like into a gigantic mess with a dozen expansions mixed together. I have Twilight Imperium 3rd and all it's extras, and have only played a 4-player game of it once. I would love to waste a whole day on a larger game of this. That said, I have a 6"x4" table I built for Warhammer 40k, and TI definitely starts to push the boundaries of tablespace even there.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've played it 3 times at 6 players, and once at 4 players. 6 players felt better, but this is potentially because the group I played it with got right into wheeling and dealing, as it allowed for more options and bigger engagements to occur.
I'd definitely classify it as an 'event' style game, where you only wheel it out once or twice a year and still get your moneys worth for it.

I know I could get 8 players to the table for it, I just need the table that could support it lol

It may end up being that Prophecy makes TI play best with fewer players, I'll be curious to see.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Having played TI3 at 4,5 and 6, and TI4 with 4, I honestly feel like 4 is the sweet spot. The game goes faster, you tech up faster having two roles each round, there's less option to turtle. I doubt it will change much with the expansion.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Mojo Jojo posted:

My wife regularly* played 8 player TI3 back in the day, and they set it up with two 'universes' connected by the Wormhole Nexus, where the weaker players would duke it out in Universe 1 and the more experienced players would start in Universe A (and get their tendrils into Universe 1 all the same). It was a definite all-day affair though.

I joined in once. It was, uh, pretty tedious.

*twice a year, which counts as 'regularly' for TI

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could find any amount of people to play Twilight Imperium. Its the only game I own that I have never played. Most of the super huge games I own have solo options, but not TI so it sits entirely unloved.

Maybe I should stop talking it up as an 8 hour game and just lie to people......

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Well, I impulse-bought Flash Point (and the mini-expansion that contains a playable dog character, obviously) since it looked cool and my partner liked the theme. And well, if I want to play games with her, that's an even more important consideration than normal!

Just wondering though; if I like it and get more expansions, is it possible to keep things to one box? I imagine I'd have to ditch the cardboard insert ASAP. But otherwise, is there any recommended setup to utilize? Like, do any of the expansions come in a jumbo box (and therefore should be a priority to get first, over other expacks) and/or are any of the inserts essential?

EDIT: Oh yeah! And what about 3rd party stuff for it? As in tokens/markers, etc. I stumbled upon a couple on BGG for smoke etc, which looked good. Are there any generally highly-regarded ones that I should look at, (especially if they make certain tasks/processes easier or help things stand out against board clutter etc) or is it not really worthwhile, in your opinions?

when I sold my copy of Flash Point and 3-4 expansions I had it all stored in two boxes, but I am also not an organizer-thrower-outer. it would be a stretch to fit all that stuff into one box, but apparently broken token makes a crate you can store everything in

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Major Isoor posted:

I've got everything for Flash Point. I store all the boards/cards in the base game box and the pieces in a plano organizer, then tether them together with a big rubber band.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Sticko posted:

Is the steam version of Spirit Island worth it if I mainly want to play single player? Missus and our regular gaming group found it too heavy, but I feel like I'm more likely to play it on computer than on table top if just playing solo.

As someone who only gets a chance to play SI cooperatively a few times a year (:negative:) I thought the automation and achievements were enough to make it worth the price of entry. I found the automation made it a lot easier to learn how to play well since I didn’t have to worry about admin. Can’t find anything about if they’re going to do Branch and Claw and Jagged Earth, though so your mileage may vary.

That’s to say that I found it good to cut my teeth on the PC version and now I play a lot of solo on the tabletop version as a result.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Rutibex posted:

I wish I could find any amount of people to play Twilight Imperium. Its the only game I own that I have never played. Most of the super huge games I own have solo options, but not TI so it sits entirely unloved.

Maybe I should stop talking it up as an 8 hour game and just lie to people......

Having people bail before the end of a game of TI is the most unsatisfying thing ever. Don't do this.

You could try playing with a low count and using accelerated start rules.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

TI4 is much faster to play than 3 was. I've played multiple 6 player games with new players and they've been 4ish hours.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Tempura Wizard posted:

As someone who only gets a chance to play SI cooperatively a few times a year (:negative:) I thought the automation and achievements were enough to make it worth the price of entry. I found the automation made it a lot easier to learn how to play well since I didn’t have to worry about admin. Can’t find anything about if they’re going to do Branch and Claw and Jagged Earth, though so your mileage may vary.

That’s to say that I found it good to cut my teeth on the PC version and now I play a lot of solo on the tabletop version as a result.

Branch and Claw moved up to "in development", and Jagged Earth to "maybe someday" (where B&C was before) recently.

Well worth it! A few times it's showed me a spot where I had been playing wrong live. There are a few tedious bits relating to obvious moves and undos, especially when one player is controlling multiple spirits, but can always turn on unlimited undo if you want.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The End posted:

Having played TI3 at 4,5 and 6, and TI4 with 4, I honestly feel like 4 is the sweet spot. The game goes faster, you tech up faster having two roles each round, there's less option to turtle. I doubt it will change much with the expansion.

4 behaves oddly as all the strategy cards are used each round so you lose the mind games associated with ensuring the thing you need happens. It is fast though by the same token.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sticko posted:

I would argue it's only worth it solo, at least currently. The multiplayer is tedious hot seat.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ketchup vs catsup posted:

when I sold my copy of Flash Point and 3-4 expansions I had it all stored in two boxes, but I am also not an organizer-thrower-outer. it would be a stretch to fit all that stuff into one box, but apparently broken token makes a crate you can store everything in

Rusty Kettle posted:

I've got everything for Flash Point. I store all the boards/cards in the base game box and the pieces in a plano organizer, then tether them together with a big rubber band.

Oh nice, that BT box looks good - although they're generally pretty expensive to ship to Aus, from memory.
I might end up needing to follow Kettle's suggestion and get a Plano (or similar brand) case and use that for the minis and tokens, then use the game box for maps. We'll see though - I'll keep both ideas in mind, for when I inevitably get more Flash Point content. Thanks!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
For those who played the Lord of the rings LCG, what are some good places to jump in, and places to look up decks? I’ve played hundreds of hours of Arkham and I’m not worried about something being hard if it’s fair.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

For those who played the Lord of the rings LCG, what are some good ... places to look up decks

https://ringsdb.com

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Major Isoor posted:

Oh nice, that BT box looks good - although they're generally pretty expensive to ship to Aus, from memory.
I might end up needing to follow Kettle's suggestion and get a Plano (or similar brand) case and use that for the minis and tokens, then use the game box for maps. We'll see though - I'll keep both ideas in mind, for when I inevitably get more Flash Point content. Thanks!

I looked at it on the shelf and just wanted to warn that there is some box lift, but because of the rubber bands there is no spillage.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Golden Bee posted:

For those who played the Lord of the rings LCG, what are some good places to jump in, and places to look up decks? I’ve played hundreds of hours of Arkham and I’m not worried about something being hard if it’s fair.

Availability is going to be your main limiting factor.

Best starting spots after the core set are
  • The Black Riders or Over Hill and Under Hill. These start off book-based saga cycles (which can be played in one long campaign), and have good deckbuilding options in their own right (Hobbits in Black Riders, Dwarves in OHaUH).
  • The Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle. This is the first post-core content released. Some of the aspects show their age but it fleshes out the base content.
  • Khazad-Dum. This is the start of the first post-core cycle and is a lot of why Dwarf decks were so popular at the beginning of the game (OHaUH and the end of the Mirkwood cycle are the other reasons)
  • The Wilds of Rhovanion. This is a more recent box that gives you everything you need for a fun Dale deck based around equipping your allies with upgrades.

A few box sets are bad to start (Sands of Harad, Shadow in the East) because they are more about fleshing out existing archetypes than giving you something new to play with.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Aramoro posted:

Anyone played the game Campaign Trail from Grey Fox games?

Yeah I spoke about it earlier in the thread. Imo it's very good but just short of great, but if the theme appeals I think it's a very solid choice. It's essentially a card - driven area majority game. It plays really smoothly, the components are beautiful and the push/pull around controlling key states vs accumulating votes in a larger number of small states all felt very satisfying. For us it felt like it ran just a little too long, and at times you could feel a little too constrained by the cards you drew, but those were only very minor issues.

I think the biggest thing that stopped it being great for me was the lack of any sense of progression or ramping-up - your last turns in the game will be much the same as your first turns in the game so it didn't have the sense of highs and lows that other games in the space have.

I'd recommend it most to people who like the theme, or who particularly want more team games as it is fun for that.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I've played a couple 6p games of TI 3rd ed, they were all full day/late night affairs. But one guy who played it like several times a month with a group said they got the time down to less than 3 hours. So with a little experience I imagine 4th ed could be pretty fast.

I got a hold of a used copy of The Estates, after our got talked up in this thread. Only played it once but it was fun! It was difficult to know the value of things and a friend ended up with pretty much ALL the money by the end, setting him up for an easy victory. But then he forgot about the ending conditions, allowed me to get a roof tile which I could use to finish a second row and win the game. :D

With 3 out of 5 people in my regular having group having Small children by now, I think everyone liked how it required some thinking while staying really short. I want to get them to play Wild Blue Yonder, since that also seems pretty quick and easy. Not sure how to present it though, with all the wargaming appearance. I don't think they will be sold simply WW2 aircraft alone, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
Went ahead and bought the steam Spirit Island, thanks for the recommendations! Plays and looks really good, now to try and not completely suck at the game.