Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Nilbop posted:

Sorry, who's this?

Three guys from Detroit, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Nilbop posted:

Sorry, who's this?
See that redhead with the shades? That's Peter Murdock of Earth-2069. By day he maintains his secret identity as a blind photojournalist, but by night he fights crime as the Extraordinary Spider-Devil.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Plastic Man #27 (1951)

Ghostly Tales #88 (1971)

Flaming Carrot Comics #10 (1985)

Slingers #3 (1999)

Slapstick #2 (2017)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Nilbop posted:

Sorry, who's this?

Sam Richardson and Tim Robinson, who starred in Detroiters.

Bucnasti posted:

Also true.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bucnasti posted:

I think you should leave.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
From Immortal Hulk, the latest Hulk Persona has a conversation with Doc Sampson about, among other things, his agenda and what they should call him.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Nuclear weapons or whatever are fair game, but I really wish comics would stop trying to bring up global warming and/or energy crises. It just becomes painfully bad since the requirement to stay topical means it's not possible to fix it, even if fixing it should be trivially easy in most comic universes.

I think Invincible's handling of the issue was probably the worst.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't think it would be trivially easy in Marvel, at least, given the fact that for every Reed Richards or Krakoa offering a source of renewable clean energy, there's a Mephisto or Roxxon actively seeking to burn down the world by exploiting its natural resources.

In the modern Marvel stories about this stuff, there tends to be an explicit bad guy amping up disaster capitalism, rather than it being a case of fantastical hero vs. real world problem. It's all a metaphor but the metaphor operates on both sides, and in-universe it's perfectly credible that like, the Hulk can't trivially solve global warming when there's a multidimensional mega-corporation run by an evil minotaur trying to stop him.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

That's never really the framing though. It's always treated as the same basic problem as the real world: government denial and public indifference and the unwillingness of people to adopt real world alternative energy sources (solar, wind, etc), not Verminous Skum pouring toxic waste into the ocean for the evulz or blowing up the big arc reactor tony stark built to power the east coast and hold everyone hostage for electricity access.

It's not even a problem of Reed Richards or Tony Stark trivially inventing unlimited energy sources (which of course they can and have done) but also the numerous intergalactic powers who are often close friends with various earth heroes (or even live on earth from time to time) who have obviously passed the point of issues like reliance on fossil fuels or the greenhouse effect with their technology. Not experimental new tech, tech that has served them often for hundreds and thousands of years with prexisting infrastructure that could easily be implemented on earth.

Likewise things like trivial space travel which should allow things like off-world mining to cut down on the destruction of Terran resources. It's just one of those things that makes no sense (even by comic book standards) and is best not examined too closely.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 17, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It just comes down to suspension of disbelief, write a story well enough and you shouldn't give a poo poo about "where should this world be in terms of technological progression"

Most 'Comic Earths' should be decades, if not centuries, ahead in technology by now with all the cosmic visitors that invariably visit constantly on top of all the genius level intellects floating around.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Someone post the Sauron panel.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm sure it's different in different books, but in recent stuff like Immortal Hulk, Avengers, and Aaron's Mighty Thor, you specifically have stuff like Roxxon invading Vanaheim to harvest its forests, Roxxon using a psionic alien robot to induce mass consumerism, governments being subverted by Mephisto into polluting the oceans, etc.

I think this kind of storytelling can work quite well if you're willing to escalate the metaphor of the villains to the same level as the metaphor of the heroes. Dario Agger represents disaster capitalism, but instead of being a dude in a suit with a trust fund and a super PAC, he's a literal monster who uses supernatural contrivances to pulp the rainforests.

You can also tell good stories about someone who's arbitrarily physically powerful being unable to stop entrenched systems of exploitation, but yeah, I agree that can be a tired beat, especially when it's done off the cuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Didn't Reed Richards literally invent some super power source and then sold it to an energy company to get shelved at some point

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Didn't Reed Richards literally invent some super power source and then sold it to an energy company to get shelved at some point

I don't remember if they specified what any of the inventions were, but in Waid's FF Reed casually mentions that all their money comes from various companies paying them not to release any of his inventions that make life better.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I don't remember if they specified what any of the inventions were, but in Waid's FF Reed casually mentions that all their money comes from various companies paying them not to release any of his inventions that make life better.

Man that is hosed up on multiple levels.

Anyway, completely unrelated, Hellions #5: Mr. Sinister is being forced to lead what is probably going to end up being a suicide mission through Otherworld and has thawed out a clone to go in his stead.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TwoPair posted:

Man that is hosed up on multiple levels.

Anyway, completely unrelated, Hellions #5: Mr. Sinister is being forced to lead what is probably going to end up being a suicide mission through Otherworld and has thawed out a clone to go in his stead.

To be honest the dialogue doesn’t feel like Sinister. It’s too catty

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

To be honest the dialogue doesn’t feel like Sinister. It’s too catty
It's the rewrite they're doing for when they inevitably make adaptations. He's been recast as the goofy, catty psychopath who is just so much fun to watch because he's sooooooooo goofy and makes you forget how dangerous he really is. It makes him easier to be a side antagonist they can pull out in multiple properties, which is where Sinister has always played the best.

Doesn't work for me, but it's really well-done and it'll definitely sell well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sinister was a catty bitch from the start.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sinister was rarely ever consistent between appearances. his personality, goals, and powers changed wildly for no particular reason. the clone colony retcon was a pretty decent explanation which more or less resolved the many, many, many contradictions sinister's history held. the current version is one particular clone who took control over the collective and that clone is a catty bitch with a mutant gene.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've read a bunch of old comics that had Sinister in them and barely remember him as a villain in that.

but from what I remember of the Saturday morning cartoon he's always been a catty bitch

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No matter what universe, he's always a jerk.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

site posted:

There was a really, really dumb period where Reed was written as being so smart he could become smarter than the world's smartest smartypants in their respective fields in a matter of months. I'm sure that guy could invent multiple magical infinite power sources that end up achieving nothing in 616.

"Reed's Smarts" and "Batman if he has Time to Prepare" are two of the prime examples of why limits make characters more interesting.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Nancy continues to be amazing

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Fop Sinister's been a thing since Fraction and Gillen's run on Uncanny, so it's not that new.

Also, it rules.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nilbop posted:

There was a really, really dumb period where Reed was written as being so smart he could become smarter than the world's smartest smartypants in their respective fields in a matter of months. I'm sure that guy could invent multiple magical infinite power sources that end up achieving nothing in 616.

"Reed's Smarts" and "Batman if he has Time to Prepare" are two of the prime examples of why limits make characters more interesting.

Behold the worlds most dynamic panel!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
scientist supreme was the most embarrassing poo poo and i'm glad pym's still dead

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Fop Sinister's been a thing since Fraction and Gillen's run on Uncanny, so it's not that new.

Also, it rules.

You can even see signs of it in Peter David's original run of X-Factor in the 90's.

Also, it rules.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Nothing wrong with that gimmick, Regis Franc made a career out of it.

The again Franc was actually good so :shrug:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Most of my picture of Sinister is based on Jay and Miles, and the current version of him in the comics definitely matches up with that.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Kanako's Life as an Assassin

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Despite the heart sticker, that is def. her real gun and she is def. loving assassin life. It helps that most of her targets are awful people...

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Nilbop posted:

Infinitum posted:

Also this one from IIRC some time in Fantastic Four by Dwayne McDuffie, around Civil War.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

It's the rewrite they're doing for when they inevitably make adaptations. He's been recast as the goofy, catty psychopath who is just so much fun to watch because he's sooooooooo goofy and makes you forget how dangerous he really is. It makes him easier to be a side antagonist they can pull out in multiple properties, which is where Sinister has always played the best.

Doesn't work for me, but it's really well-done and it'll definitely sell well.

you might be one of the most miserable people on this website

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Isn’t it established that in every universe except 616 Reed turns into a villain?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Infinitum posted:

No matter what universe, he's always a jerk.

And this is how I learned that YTMND is still alive and kicking.

https://profx.ytmnd.com/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

Isn’t it established that in every universe except 616 Reed turns into a villain?

Not exactly villains but every other Reed is more of an rear end in a top hat than he is.

Edit: Funny panel from this week's SpyxFamily

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 18, 2020

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Bucnasti posted:

There's a surprisingly consistent throughline in stories that involve Reed, whether they're canon, non-canon, or set in alternate universes, that Reed relies heavily on Sue, their kids, and to a lesser extent Ben to keep his worst impulses in check. In stories where he never had them (i.e. the Spider-Gwen universe where Reed is inexplicably a 12-year-old boy who's never met Sue or Johnny), it's anyone's guess how he turns out.

In stories where he had one or more of them and lost them traumatically, Reed immediately goes straight off the deep end. The most famous modern example is in Marvel Zombies: Dead Days, but it's also a common feature in What Ifs where Sue dies or is otherwise suddenly removed from the marriage, going all the way back to the one from 1983 where she died giving birth to Franklin.

It's one of those interesting things in serial fiction where it seems like a few generations of the writers have all organically arrived at the same conclusion. It's not simply that Reed grieves, in a scenario where he's lost his wife, their kids, or both at once, but that he goes full-tilt insane almost immediately.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I vaguely recall that the Council of Reeds were even like "you need to abandon Sue and your family to join us because they're holding you back from being a True Reed" and he's like "nah, they're actually what makes me the better Reed"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

I vaguely recall that the Council of Reeds were even like "you need to abandon Sue and your family to join us because they're holding you back from being a True Reed" and he's like "nah, they're actually what makes me the better Reed"

The difference between 616 Reed and the Council was that 616 Reed had his father in his life, which none other did because they all died during the great culling of Nathaniel Richards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

robziel posted:

Nancy continues to be amazing

The "please support the official release" is such a great touch.

muscles like this! posted:

Not exactly villains but every other Reed is more of an rear end in a top hat than he is.

Edit: Funny panel from this week's SpyxFamily

This is primo av material.