Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Is it possible to have the phone set to vibrate but have one contact be allowed to make the ringtone ring? I'm on a Samsung Galaxy A2

My doorbell goes to my phone but I always have my phone on vibrate so sometimes I miss it. I would like to have the phone on vibrate but when the doorbell contact calls I want my phone to make sounds.

I've found the do not disturb mode, but that is not really what I want. I'd like vibrate only for everything and everyone except the doorbell contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

If that's true then they overwhelmingly prefer a notch for face unlock because that's what an iPhone has.

Apple is third in sales.

Edit: whatever Apple does would always be popular in the US. No one loves the notch but they love the perceived prestige of Apple for some reason. Good marketing.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 17, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Claeaus posted:

Is it possible to have the phone set to vibrate but have one contact be allowed to make the ringtone ring? I'm on a Samsung Galaxy A2

My doorbell goes to my phone but I always have my phone on vibrate so sometimes I miss it. I would like to have the phone on vibrate but when the doorbell contact calls I want my phone to make sounds.

I've found the do not disturb mode, but that is not really what I want. I'd like vibrate only for everything and everyone except the doorbell contact.

You could set the default ring tone to a "none" (or a silent audio file), then give the doorbell a custom ringer.

No simple way to make your phone ring again other than changing the default.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Upgraded to a Pixel 5 from a 3.

Absolutely massive improvement to battery life. Multitasking is now excellent thanks to the 8GB RAM - I'm actually astounded at how much is kept in memory.

Performance overall is subjectively ever so slightly faster than my Pixel 3, even after a factory reset on that phone after Android 11 released. Apps load pretty much identically between the two phones, but the major difference in daily use is the fluidity of the user experience.

Probably mostly due to the 90Hz screen.

My only complaint really is the under-screen earpiece, it's a cool technology but it's a definite downgrade in terms of sound quality.

I was worried going from a Snapdragon 845 to a 765 would be a worse experience but if you told me it was the same SoC I'd believe you.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Apple is third in sales.

Edit: whatever Apple does would always be popular in the US. No one loves the notch but they love the perceived prestige of Apple for some reason. Good marketing.

You don’t even notice it after a while.

What you do notice is the lovely little shifts in software and apps that nudge you towards spending more money and bandwidth on what they want by kneecapping things that used to work.
Hence why I’m reading this thread trying to figure out if there is a good android phone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol

:canada:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Why not just send texts and make phone calls using the cell network?

Maybe I didn't convey what I was wishing to do well enough. Really I just wanted the convenience of being able to call or text from either my PC or my phone and any time and GVoice is really the only solution out there that does it super easily. Since I'm moving away from Google, I think my best option is probably just porting out to my current carrier and using throwaway numbers instead in lieu of that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't understand. Did you re-record your face while wearing a mask? It just flat out doesn't work for me while wearing one. Cloth, anything.

I didn't do anything special, it just works and I haven't looked into it further. I seldom wear my cloth masks and usually use N95s, I just keep one in the car in case I need to run in somewhere and when I use it the phone unlocks normally.

cage-free egghead posted:

Maybe I didn't convey what I was wishing to do well enough. Really I just wanted the convenience of being able to call or text from either my PC or my phone and any time and GVoice is really the only solution out there that does it super easily. Since I'm moving away from Google, I think my best option is probably just porting out to my current carrier and using throwaway numbers instead in lieu of that.

Have you tried Join? It can initiate and answer calls from the computer. I've never used the feature (I use it mainly for sharing and notification mirroring) but it does claim to do that. It can also handle SMS if for some reason Messages for Web isn't your thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Some materials are IR transparent (see OnePlus 8 Pro camera issue) if your cloth mask is polyester, I could see it potentially working through it.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Uthor posted:

You could set the default ring tone to a "none" (or a silent audio file), then give the doorbell a custom ringer.

No simple way to make your phone ring again other than changing the default.

Good idea, thanks!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

You don’t even notice it after a while.

What you do notice is the lovely little shifts in software and apps that nudge you towards spending more money and bandwidth on what they want by kneecapping things that used to work.
Hence why I’m reading this thread trying to figure out if there is a good android phone.

All companies are going to try to increase profit margins forever. Subscription services seems to be the preferred way of siphoning money from everyone's pockets these days.

Pixel 5 is easy to recommend for most people.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Is the smart dock for phones dead? I want a USB C dock that will give me HDMI out, 2 USB and charging, but I keep finding poo poo that only works for laptops. I have a Pixel 4a.
Basically I want to see if I can not buy a Stadia controller, since I have controllers, but still play on my TV.

I've been looking for this too. I'm trying to dock my LGK61 to a wired monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I guess I could cast the screen and use Bluetooth, but I got all the wired stuff already and it would really be cheaper/easier.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
It hurts that my sage green pixel 5 preorder won't ship until early November and others are using it now, but that's my birthday, so horay me!

I also went full ham with my first pixel stand which shipped, the pixel buds, and fabric case, which supposedly get here end of oct or early November.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Got me a new phone, whats the best ad blocker to get for Android 10?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shoenin posted:

Got me a new phone, whats the best ad blocker to get for Android 10?

Personally I just switch to the adguard DNS and call it a day.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

As a general note because I'm really loving glad I did it - I changed from Google authenticator to Authy as my 2FA app last week in anticipation of switching from my 2XL to a P5 and I figured I'd deal with a one off pain in the rear end to be ready for future phone changes. Last week I went on a diving trip and managed to lose my phone somewhere on the last day. Used find my phone and apparently someone had handed it in to a local pub and I've managed to get it back but somewhere between dropping out of my pocket and being handed in the screen got absolutely smashed (looks like someone threw a rock at it) and no longer functions.

I can only imagine the pain in the rear end of having a dozen accounts with 2FA that is no longer accessible and trying to get all that updated. I've got back up codes stored locally for some but I've realised how dumb having all that crap on a local device is for just in case scenarios.

Also I am still waiting for Google to ship my P5 because I now have an unusable phone I cannot log into my account on (It's clearly still working as I get haptic feedback from fingerprint unlocking). I'm hoping I get it end of next week as Google have helpfully already delivered the fabric case I ordered.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

MrNemo posted:

As a general note because I'm really loving glad I did it - I changed from Google authenticator to Authy as my 2FA app last week in anticipation of switching from my 2XL to a P5 and I figured I'd deal with a one off pain in the rear end to be ready for future phone changes. Last week I went on a diving trip and managed to lose my phone somewhere on the last day. Used find my phone and apparently someone had handed it in to a local pub and I've managed to get it back but somewhere between dropping out of my pocket and being handed in the screen got absolutely smashed (looks like someone threw a rock at it) and no longer functions.

I can only imagine the pain in the rear end of having a dozen accounts with 2FA that is no longer accessible and trying to get all that updated. I've got back up codes stored locally for some but I've realised how dumb having all that crap on a local device is for just in case scenarios.

Also I am still waiting for Google to ship my P5 because I now have an unusable phone I cannot log into my account on (It's clearly still working as I get haptic feedback from fingerprint unlocking). I'm hoping I get it end of next week as Google have helpfully already delivered the fabric case I ordered.
Congrats on your 1FA security I guess.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

lol right?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Personally I just switch to the adguard DNS and call it a day.

Does this only work in the browser, not in apps?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

BabyFur Denny posted:

I've got a password manager that requires the 2FA code and a 2FA app that requires a password not contained in the password manager. I guess you're making the point that I have full access through my phone if someone gets access to that? That's definitely a weakness but also requires someone pwning my phone. I'm not trying to get full maximum levels of security so that I can be protected from a super dedicated hacker getting me, I'm trying to ensure I don't get my accounts compromised by a general password leak or hackers breaking a single organisation while maintaining maximum convenience.

Unless I'm missing something and somehow using Authy means all someone needs to is send me a jpg over whatsapp and they've got access to my bank accounts? Should I be keeping an offline notebook in a safe at home with my 38 digit passwords recorded and a separate safe containing a hard token 2FA?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
My Pixel 5 isn't supposed to show up until November 3, but I've got a potential problem here.

My OG Pixel started getting *really* hot yesterday out of nowhere, and the battery started draining quickly.

The charger I had it on overnight wasn't powerful enough to keep up with the drain and my phone turned off, but when I hooked it up to a better charger it turned on at 41%.

Today, I was using it and observed a 10% battery drain in 10 minutes. The phone was at 86% and I restarted it. When it turned on it was at 70%.

The phone is warm to the touch but the case looks normal (no swelling).

I'm not sure exactly what's going on here, but it seems like the phone and the OS aren't agreeing what the battery is actually holding in terms of charge?

What are my options here? I need to hold out for about 2 weeks!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

That's not how it works. Authy is fine.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Google Authenticator allows you to transfer codes between devices now, too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mystes posted:

Google Authenticator allows you to transfer codes between devices now, too.

Can it save/restore during a factory reset?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can it save/restore during a factory reset?

It displays a QR code that supposedly one can use to transfer codes between devices. So I presume one can print that picture to restore codes between the same device.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Volguus posted:

It displays a QR code that supposedly one can use to transfer codes between devices. So I presume one can print that picture to restore codes between the same device.

Gotcha

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Vasler posted:

My Pixel 5 isn't supposed to show up until November 3, but I've got a potential problem here.

My OG Pixel started getting *really* hot yesterday out of nowhere, and the battery started draining quickly.

The charger I had it on overnight wasn't powerful enough to keep up with the drain and my phone turned off, but when I hooked it up to a better charger it turned on at 41%.

Today, I was using it and observed a 10% battery drain in 10 minutes. The phone was at 86% and I restarted it. When it turned on it was at 70%.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on here, but it seems like the phone and the OS aren't agreeing what the battery is actually holding in terms of charge?

Does the Pixel not have a battery health in settings that shows usage? That sounds like a rampant app draining your poo poo.

Alternatively, restore to factory settings?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Battery life on this Pixel 5 is ridiculous

I even turned off battery saver when it hit 20% just to see how long it took to get to single digits.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Vasler posted:

My guy you've been handed a gift from heaven above to be disconnected from the news until Election Day is over, you should accept it

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Does the Pixel not have a battery health in settings that shows usage? That sounds like a rampant app draining your poo poo.

Alternatively, restore to factory settings?

I checked that out but nothing has changed in terms of my usage or apps from yesterday to the day before. Battery health didn't show anything.

Interestingly, the battery percentage continues to report strangely. I charged it up to 100%, then restarted the phone. When I restarted, it was telling me I had 50% left.

Is there any way to somehow reset this?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Your battery is likely on its way out the door. Or the motherboard could be instead. Either way its probably not worth any tr97bpe of trying to fix it although a factory reset certainly wouldn't hurt it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I dunno that there's really any way to rescue that, sounds like failing hardware, no? If you're still working and/or leaving the house regularly and don't want to be without a phone, you could probably grab a cheap $50-80 Motorola (latest moto E? last gen Moto G something?) from Best Buy, you could get it today and it'd be decent enough to work for now then throw in a drawer as a backup.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Volguus posted:

I think they say the data is transferred device to device without being stored, so actually probably not.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So it sounds like people are into the Pixel 5 then? I've had this Pixel 1 XL for three and a half years and should probably have replaced it a year ago, the Verzion store here in town claims to have them in stock so I'll have to go get one this week...

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was planning on upgrading from my Pixel 2 this year, but I'm still not sure since the 5 doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over the 4. I'm not really a heavy phone user, so either waiting another year to see if the 6 steps up a bit (my battery still seems fine, and it's not like I'm going out enough to worry much about the camera atm), or getting a 4A as a stopgap was pretty much what I was thinking, but if people like the 5 maybe I'll give it some more thought, especially if there are any decent sales before Christmas.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does this only work in the browser, not in apps?

I don't think I have any apps with ads in order to check.

MrNemo posted:

I've got a password manager that requires the 2FA code and a 2FA app that requires a password not contained in the password manager. I guess you're making the point that I have full access through my phone if someone gets access to that? That's definitely a weakness but also requires someone pwning my phone. I'm not trying to get full maximum levels of security so that I can be protected from a super dedicated hacker getting me, I'm trying to ensure I don't get my accounts compromised by a general password leak or hackers breaking a single organisation while maintaining maximum convenience.

Unless I'm missing something and somehow using Authy means all someone needs to is send me a jpg over whatsapp and they've got access to my bank accounts? Should I be keeping an offline notebook in a safe at home with my 38 digit passwords recorded and a separate safe containing a hard token 2FA?

Some will tell you that if you aren't using two safes and 76 character passwords you're hopelessly insecure, but no, for your threat model what you're doing is perfectly fine.

Vasler posted:

That battery is dead. You can make it two weeks without a phone and smoobles says, this is a blessing.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I don't think I have any apps with ads in order to check.

Some will tell you that if you aren't using two safes and 76 character passwords you're hopelessly insecure, but no, for your threat model what you're doing is perfectly fine.

That battery is dead. You can make it two weeks without a phone and smoobles says, this is a blessing.

Good(ish?) news! After doing the "battery full, shut down, charge battery until full" a few times, the phone started up and seems to be back to normal.

It isn't heating up while idling or running programs.

Thank god for that too, because after using the Moto G Fast (that name is wrong on so many levels)we had lying around, I'm glad I was able to get back to my pixel, if only for a short while.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
God the Pixel 5 feels so tiny after using a 3 XL for two years. Absolutely love the weird green concrete back though.
Gotta say that after everyone is raving about high frequency displays i was expecting to see a big difference to a 60Hz display. After putting it next to the 3XL and scrolling the same website up and down its...fine i guess? The text seems to blur a bit less. Looks like my eyes can't deal with stuff above 60Hz cause without a direct comparison i couldn't tell a difference.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

God the Pixel 5 feels so tiny after using a 3 XL for two years. Absolutely love the weird green concrete back though.
Gotta say that after everyone is raving about high frequency displays i was expecting to see a big difference to a 60Hz display. After putting it next to the 3XL and scrolling the same website up and down its...fine i guess? The text seems to blur a bit less. Looks like my eyes can't deal with stuff above 60Hz cause without a direct comparison i couldn't tell a difference.

Too much of my phone use is reading static stuff. And Pixels (and iphones) are already smooth at scrolling, so the improvement is minimal imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way to prevent two apps I have from turning my screen on when I get a notification?

I have settings in Android set properly to never turn on my screen for incoming notifications. It works for 95% of apps but two of them, Tick Tick (a great reminder app) and Snap chat both ignore this setting and turn my screen on when I get a notification.

This is incredibly annoying, especially with Tick Tick, because I keep my phone in my pocket so the phone turns on when I get an alert and there's like a 20% chance my thigh is going to click "complete" on the task which is obviously a problem for something like a reminder app. Is there any way to force these two apps to stop doing this?