Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

He'd profane the throne in someway. "Eru sucks" is more meaningful to someone like Tolkien, than the scatology of the 20th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Data Graham posted:

Olsen got another spit-take out of me recently in one of his episodes on Morgoth's Ring where he talked about a later unpublished draft of Melkor and Ungoliant destroying the Trees, where Melkor stopped off at the empty Council Ring and "defiled the throne of Manwë" and he's like "So what'd he like, pee on the throne or whatever"

sounds like a double decker

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Southpaugh posted:

He'd profane the throne in someway. "Eru sucks" is more meaningful to someone like Tolkien, than the scatology of the 20th century.

The earliest known joke is about farts.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Data Graham posted:

Olsen got another spit-take out of me recently in one of his episodes on Morgoth's Ring where he talked about a later unpublished draft of Melkor and Ungoliant destroying the Trees, where Melkor stopped off at the empty Council Ring and "defiled the throne of Manwë" and he's like "So what'd he like, pee on the throne or whatever"

Read this as stripped off instead of stopped off and I think it works better tbqh

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

mossyfisk posted:

The earliest known joke is about farts.

And Tolkien was born a high victorian Catholic Englishman.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SHISHKABOB posted:

I bet it's an orgy in Numenor.

New thread title please.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ynglaur posted:

New thread title please.

I thought we'd already settled on Numenorgy.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I support full nudity in this show if they use Elise the Great's elf anatomy.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought we'd already settled on Numenorgy.

This is acceptable.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The people in Bree and the Bree-land were probably really inbred, right?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The people in Bree and the Bree-land were probably really inbred, right?

Why?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

They were inbreed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sorry to draw away from the sex and nudity but I've been having a debate with my D&D group about Orcs and we've gotten into a fight over inherent evil and whether or not Orcs are racist caricatures. Its gotten to the point where I've laid out my argument for why Orcs, while cruel and evil, aren't inherently evil precisely because of their manufactured misfortune and fear of their overlords means they have enough self awareness to recognize their own victimhood.

I've also sent my group a two part article arguing that the Orcs are fantasy analogies for very racist depictions if Asian culture, a comparison that Tolkien invites with his letter describing them as unsavory mongol types.

https://jamesmendezhodes.com/blog/2019/1/13/orcs-britons-and-the-martial-race-myth-part-i-a-species-built-for-racial-terror

https://jamesmendezhodes.com/blog/2019/6/30/orcs-britons-and-the-martial-race-myth-part-ii-theyre-not-human

The reaction has not been good. I've had two members of the group accuse the writer of being long winded and stretching facts before even reading the articles, one person argue via a formalist theory that the text itself doesn't support the asian caricatures (but apparently being based off European goblin folklore is still allowed? I dont remember that being explicit in the texts), and my personal "favourite" (read: yikes) statement being one contrarian dick proclaiming that Orcs aren't people because they aren't like the Haradrim or Easterlings who are human.

Why yes, im the only English major graduate with a focus on literature in this group. I can understand disagreeing with the article but the level of defensiveness that I've seen is pretty shocking, as is the lack of self awareness about how their responses actually sound.

I mean, this is the level of argument I'm dealing with.

quote:

If the Lord of the rings is a mirror than one dimensional races or characters are problematic since nothing is ever like that. If it's an escape where the world is easier and things make sense without the messiness that if life it doesn't matter.

Which not only do I think is a weak argument but also really misses the point if what Tolkien was trying to do. Of course fiction is simplified compared to reality but it is out of necessity for plot and story purposes. But tolkien didn't do it to make an escapist world easier than the messiness of real life, poo poo gets complicated in Middle Earth.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 7, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think even Tolkien never figured out if they were inherently evil or what they were.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

euphronius posted:

I think even Tolkien never figured out if they were inherently evil or what they were.

I think he was onto something by the end hinting at them being more victims of circumstance than unthinking tools of evil. He just never got there before he died, but he was approaching something to that angle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, somewhere in the Letters there's a bit about how he isn't happy with the depiction of Orcs as inherently, irredeemably evil. As per my comment above, it was a fundamental conflict with his Catholicism -- it's a question that Catholicism doesn't really have satisfying answers for("can demons or fallen angels repent and find forgiveness?")

Of course *in a given d&d campaign* Orcs are whatever the DM says they are. But just inherently evil orcs are relatively boring. Doomed by circumstances orcs are far more interesting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The letter you're thinking of is a response to Auden, who had needled him a bit about whether it was heretical to have irredeemable orcs. (This was a joke) Tolkien being Tolkien goes back to the text to counter-argue that LOTR doesn't depict the orcs as irredeemably evil, it portrays them as victims of tyranny, "ruined and twisted", therefore implicitly originally good and capable of being good again -- though maybe only through a higher power.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress even Sauron was offered forgiveness after the War of Wrath and the Akallebeth posits he was even genuine in his desire to repent at first, before fear of punishment got the better of him and he fled.

Inherent evil being applied to people really bothers me because, like the asian caricatures, it's just another level of "othering" a group in order to make a convenient adversary or scapegoat.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Later in life he was agonizing over this exact question for years and it's what drove him into an endless cycle of rewrites to bring Orcs more into line with a worldview that was more consistent with Catholic theology and he gridlocked himself into a feedback loop of "make the universe more mechanistic, make Orcs into corrupted Elves" "wait this isn't anywhere near as fun or interesting anymore" "make them more magical and mysterious, manufactured constructs" "poo poo now free will is all hosed again, AAAHH"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sorry to draw away from the sex and nudity but I've been having a debate with my D&D group about Orcs and we've gotten into a fight over inherent evil and whether or not Orcs are racist caricatures. Its gotten to the point where I've laid out my argument for why Orcs, while cruel and evil, aren't inherently evil precisely because of their manufactured misfortune and fear of their overlords means they have enough self awareness to recognize their own victimhood.

I've also sent my group a two part article arguing that the Orcs are fantasy analogies for very racist depictions if Asian culture, a comparison that Tolkien invites with his letter describing them as unsavory mongol types.

https://jamesmendezhodes.com/blog/2019/1/13/orcs-britons-and-the-martial-race-myth-part-i-a-species-built-for-racial-terror

https://jamesmendezhodes.com/blog/2019/6/30/orcs-britons-and-the-martial-race-myth-part-ii-theyre-not-human

The reaction has not been good. I've had two members of the group accuse the writer of being long winded and stretching facts before even reading the articles, one person argue via a formalist theory that the text itself doesn't support the asian caricatures (but apparently being based off European goblin folklore is still allowed? I dont remember that being explicit in the texts), and my personal "favourite" (read: yikes) statement being one contrarian dick proclaiming that Orcs aren't people because they aren't like the Haradrim or Easterlings who are human.

Why yes, im the only English major graduate with a focus on literature in this group. I can understand disagreeing with the article but the level of defensiveness that I've seen is pretty shocking, as is the lack of self awareness about how their responses actually sound.

I mean, this is the level of argument I'm dealing with.

Which not only do I think is a weak argument but also really misses the point if what Tolkien was trying to do. Of course fiction is simplified compared to reality but it is out of necessity for plot and story purposes. But tolkien didn't do it to make an escapist world easier than the messiness of real life, poo poo gets complicated in Middle Earth.

have you tried playing with fun people instead of angry people?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

ChubbyChecker posted:

have you tried playing with fun people instead of angry people?

Fun, non-angry people who regularly play D&D?

Good luck.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean the one who is most adamant about them not being people and Tolkien being completely blameless is also a contrarian asshoke by nature who as a rule always argues against whatever is being discussed. He thinks he's playing devil's advocate but comes off instead as being contrarian for the sake of it and relying heavily on whataboutism.

I'm not saying you have to go to university to be capable of critical analysis but its pretty obvious that he's never really done research beyond primary sources, hence his vehement disagreement with the idea that Tolkien could have ever been influenced by the society he grew up in.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Any word if the 4K version will be available streaming? I don't see myself buying a physical disc player ever again.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Any word if the 4K version will be available streaming? I don't see myself buying a physical disc player ever again.

Everything on Blu-ray is available streaming :filez:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

I can't imagine they'd go through this effort solely for a physical media release at this point.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I'm so glad this excerpt from the audiobook is on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST_jDZzb0Xo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Such a great reading. Martin Shaw has a perfect voice for it and he gets hardly anything wrong

IluVATar being one glaring exception

e: VV :eyepop:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 8, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKHOrLqVn-o

You want to talk about perfect voices?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKHOrLqVn-o

You want to talk about perfect voices?

Holy poo poo I had no idea this existed. Thank you, and RIP Christopher Lee.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thanks for those articles, they're a really interesting take. I'm dubious about the writer's claim that the Asian-coding was deliberate and purposeful on Tolkien's part, but at this point the original intent's kind of irrelevant.

But yeah, it certainly sounds like your D&D group just wants to keep orcs as murderfodder and thinks anything else is "bringing politics in" or somesuch crap.

What does the contrarian dick think about the peopleness of presumably-just-as-unhuman elves?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Runcible Cat posted:

Thanks for those articles, they're a really interesting take. I'm dubious about the writer's claim that the Asian-coding was deliberate and purposeful on Tolkien's part, but at this point the original intent's kind of irrelevant.

But yeah, it certainly sounds like your D&D group just wants to keep orcs as murderfodder and thinks anything else is "bringing politics in" or somesuch crap.

What does the contrarian dick think about the peopleness of presumably-just-as-unhuman elves?

I don't think the racial coding was intentional but I do think that the unconscious influence of the society Tolkien was raised in played a part in coloring his depictions. The racial coding of Asians as the "Other" across history and literature does track. I just think its the benign racism of an author who didn't think through the connotations that his writing invites. Unintentional and unfortunately harmful, but not actively malicious. So I disagree with the article about Tolkien's intent but I do agree with the societal impressions leading to Tolkien making those depictions the way they are.

As for Elves, he says that they are people because they're alive since Eru is the only being who could make true life. No, I don't know why this means that corrupted elves turned orcs aren't also alive.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 8, 2020

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't think the racial coding was intentional but I do think that the unconscious influence of the society Tolkien was raised in played a part in coloring his depictions. The racial coding of Asians as the "Other" across history and literature does track. I just think its the benign racism of an author who didn't think through the connotations that his writing invites. Unintentional and unfortunately harmful, but not actively malicious. So I disagree with the article about Tolkien's intent but I do agree with the societal impressions leading to Tolkien making those depictions the way they are.

As for Elves, he says that they are people because they're alive since Eru is the only being who could make true life. No, I don't know why this means that corrupted elves turned orcs aren't also alive.

Oh absolutely; the whole "mindless evil invading horde" story concept I can so easily see unconsciously picking up traits from anti-Asian "Yellow Peril"-type propaganda now it's been pointed out. And then being perpetuated because "that's what orcs are like, Tolkien said so".

And ah, rules lawyering. True life is life created by Eru and in the shape Eru created it by definition so there.

(I go by the definition that when you hear orcs talking they sound like people. Not particularly pleasant people, but still people bitching about their job and their rear end in a top hat bosses and those assholes they have to work alongside and hey why don't you and me and a few of the guys ditch this shithole and take off somewhere on our own.)

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I've always thought of the Orcs/Mongols comparisons as deliberate but not reflective of Tolkien's authorial racism (whether or not it existed), and some people read what they want to see out of the Letters excerpt instead of what is there.

In the original conception, Middle-earth was not a purely fantasy world; it was supposed to be a mythological version of England, where the English-analogues are protagonists because they created the mythology. Linguistically, "orcs" are demons in this mythology. When a culture creates demons, it is distinctly possible that some characteristics would be based on historically aggressive foreign cultures. And that is the choice that Tolkien took in creating that mythology. He does not say in the Letters that Mongol-types are ugly, only that Europeans perceive them to be so, and certainly there were and continue to be different cultural standards of beauty. I think it's perfectly valid to read Middle-earth orcs as misunderstood victims of millenia of oppression. They only get extremely problematic in the derivative works.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Not a lot of them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How would people feel about race-blind casting in a Tolkien production? You can't remove the focus on different races and bloodlines that pervades everything, but I don't think you need to keep the racial coding specifically. You might want to keep certain groups (hobbits and rohirrim come to mind) as homogenous english-looking people but for say, the Noldor or the Numenoreans or even Gondor and Harad I'm not going to complain if they contain people from all races. Fëanor and his sons can be black. I wouldn't give a poo poo and I don't think it would change Tolkien's story.

The orcs take some more thought to adapt but Tolkien left enough that you can certainly do a much less "evil hordes that deserve to die" take than what Jackson or DnD do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean we can make Juan "Johnny" Rico into a white fascist boy scout and that turned out better than the original book, anything is possible.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 18, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How would people feel about race-blind casting in a Tolkien production?

I don't see how you can argue against this without coming off as a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How would people feel about race-blind casting in a Tolkien production? You can't remove the focus on different races and bloodlines that pervades everything, but I don't think you need to keep the racial coding specifically. You might want to keep certain groups (hobbits and rohirrim come to mind) as homogenous english-looking people but for say, the Noldor or the Numenoreans or even Gondor and Harad I'm not going to complain if they contain people from all races. Fëanor and his sons can be black. I wouldn't give a poo poo and I don't think it would change Tolkien's story.

The orcs take some more thought to adapt but Tolkien left enough that you can certainly do a much less "evil hordes that deserve to die" take than what Jackson or DnD do.

There is literally no reason to treat the elves as a homogenous skin color group. they are a fuckin fantasy race and have as many enclaves in different geographic regions as humans do. Same for the Numenoreans. I mean, according to latitude Numenor would be Mediterranean as gently caress, definitely not lily white.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There is literally no reason to treat the elves as a homogenous skin color group. they are a fuckin fantasy race and have as many enclaves in different geographic regions as humans do. Same for the Numenoreans. I mean, according to latitude Numenor would be Mediterranean as gently caress, definitely not lily white.

I've always considered the Numenoreans to be essentially Romans, down to the Arnor/Gondor split replicating the East/West split of the Roman Empire.

If you wish to pursue the Roman analog, then it would make sense for the Numenorean nations of Middle Earth to include many races, as the Romans incorporated peoples from their conquests. On the other hand it would seem weird to have say the Rohirrim be too varied?

Casting for such a project... is not a job I would envy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perc2
May 16, 2020

The very fact that you cannot simply take a peice of text and create some kind of 1-for-1 visual facsimile of it means it will always be an interpretation, an imagining. It's influenced by some source material rather than a direct effort to manifest the text in film, as if the two were intertwined and "the same thing". The usual line you'll hear from someone about book adaptations is, "oh it's nothing like the book", which rests on the assumption that the creators are trying to make it the book. It's not the book, much in the same way contemporary editions of The Bible probably look "nothing like" the original texts or oral tradition.

With this in mind, you could completely film any part of the Legendarium with a cast of exclusively non-white actors and still communicate the stories, world and characters just fine, much like how Paapa Essiedu can play Hamlet on stage. It's all ideological in the end - critics of ethnic and racially diverse casts are more than happy to see White Jesus framed on the wall, and that's meant to be the bedrock of their cultural identity.

perc2 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 18, 2020