Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

feelix posted:

There's at least one good one, he works for Barbell Medicine and basically said "getting a chiro degree was the fastest way for me to have the access of a medical professional, like getting paid through insurance etc". He just strength trains people that come to him

Ok, practicing chiros. He’s said as much that he doesn’t really practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

"Doc my neck hurts"

Chrio that doesn't suck: "Get yoked, bro."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Active release therapy is pretty legit.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

ultrafilter posted:

It's not

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

feelix posted:

It's not

I feel better after actively releasing my poops into the toilet.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Any musculoskeletal ache or pain that can be resolved by massage/art/adjustments/dry needling/cupping etc can be solved like this:

feelix posted:

Honestly lately I feel like the best way to deal with aches and pains is to find an exercise that seems to "aggravate" it. If the pain gets worse with repeated exposure to a very light resistance then you probably need to go to the doctor. If it gets better as you warm up/get blood to the area/whatever, then just start doing that exercise regularly and progressing the load and the pain will typically go away permanently.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ultrafilter posted:

quote:

Active Release Therapy (ART), also called Active Release Technique, is a non-invasive manual therapy technique that works to correct soft tissue restrictions that cause pain and mobility issues. The goal is to break down scar tissue and adhesions in order to optimize function in the body.
:chloe:

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

"Doc my neck hurts"

Chrio that doesn't suck: "Get yoked, bro."

don't skip neck day

glad my dumb pain effortposts have had a lasting impact on this thread

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Often times pain is exacerbated or even totally caused by psychological/social factors, so just thinking you need to do all this crazy poo poo to stay pain free will make issues worse for you. I know ever since I realized lifting wasn't actually seriously loving my knee or back up and chilled out, things don't give me anywhere near as much problems as they used to, and I'm lifting heavier and maxing fairly regularly at 35. I basically just treat it like Feelix said, unless it's something that hurts fairly bad even doing mundane tasks and doesn't get better, I just sort of make it a small priority and do some random small exercises to see what makes it feel better but otherwise don't worry about it really.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN253RLDdM8

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Two kinds of people who put chiro on their business card: PT who's just marketing and some rear end in a top hat who thinks everything wrong with you, including that nasty case of norovirus, is caused by your spine being misaligned.

At least that's how I feel the industry is. Hard finding the correct one so uh yeah.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I did lower back lifting a week ago for the first time in forever. (Admittedly I started out too heavy.) gently caress my back was killing me for the next few days. But I've made sure to not be totally immobile with it, stretching and working it a bit each day. Just about back to normal now. Jogging actually felt like it helped a lot, got the blood flowing good.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Fallows posted:

I just wanna keep doing 5/3/1 and keep make my 5lb a month on my lifts and maybe set a record for biggest spreadsheet.... Thx for the suggestions guys

Standing abs is the movement in a standing cable crunch? Google is confusing me

https://www.elitefts.com/education/standing-ab-movements-to-build-your-squat-and-deadlift/

I use bands over my basement pull up bar. They are awesome

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I have recently learned that both the Hodgetwins and Eliot Hulse have pivoted to alt-right youtube videos. what a world we live in.

I can only pray that Greg Doucette stays pure forever.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Wait I thought the twins were african american. Though I never actually watched a video from them ever and only have seen screenshots.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Well, black people are just that, people, and people sometimes happen to be really stupid like the Hodge Twins. Plus a lot of right wingers love to share stuff by them because I guess it shows "Hey I can't be racist, here's a black person that agrees with me" so they get a lot of attention and poo poo for doing it.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 18, 2020

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Wow i just tried these with lovely walmart bands and a pull up bar and wanna throw up after 2 short sets a++

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

ultrafilter posted:

remember to stay alkaline

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

Fallows posted:

Wow i just tried these with lovely walmart bands and a pull up bar and wanna throw up after 2 short sets a++

Lol trying this and my bands don't give enough resistance and it's lame

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

turd in my singlet posted:

You might be using your back too much. Really focus on pulling down with your ab muscles. I used to think it wasn't hard and someone fixed my form and i almost threw up in front of them during the next set

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Stealth Tiger posted:

I have recently learned that both the Hodgetwins and Eliot Hulse have pivoted to alt-right youtube videos. what a world we live in.

I can only pray that Greg Doucette stays pure forever.

Has Eliot Hulse ever not been some flavor of completely insane?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Mine give no resistance until the end, i had to mess around with where i stand and poo poo but i do em just like the gif from the page he linked and they got tough fast, i did the one armed judo chops after too. Since the movement is pretty fast though I am worried about my doorframe hopefully theres a lot of nails in that top trim piece

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
By the last set I tried also adding my thinner band onto the one I was already using, and had figured out how to use my abs and not my hip flexors, but still got 20 reps in before I started to feel fatigue. I think I just don't have enough band

Idk another reason to make the pulley setup I've been putting off but tbh I'll probably just switch back to v-ups lol

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

VorpalFish posted:

Has Eliot Hulse ever not been some flavor of completely insane?

That depends, was he the one who talked about how you have to contract your sphincter muscle while squatting, or do I have him confused with someone else from the internet

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Stealth Tiger posted:

That depends, was he the one who talked about how you have to contract your sphincter muscle while squatting, or do I have him confused with someone else from the internet

How many pounds does this add to your squat? Asking for a friend.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Batterypowered7 posted:

How many pounds does this add to your squat? Asking for a friend.

Not as much as using it as an afterburner out of the hole.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Stealth Tiger posted:

Opening your taint is Ed Coan

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Mustached Demon posted:

Not as much as using it as an afterburner out of the hole.

Ah, a fellow advocate of spicy lunch on squat day I see.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I'm gonna deadlif 420 pounds tomorrow lol lmao

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I need a recommendation for a calisthenics home routine I can do to change up my current routine. Currently just doing a normal push/pull day 4 days a week, but the routine is kind of boring and I've lost progress since COVID started. I need something different and dynamic that utilizes minimal equipment (I have access to a pull up bar, dip bars, rings and bands).

If anyone has a solid routine they can recommend, I'm all ears.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

B-Rock452 posted:

Opening your taint is Ed Coan

This cue changed my life

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

This cue changed my life

yeah, tight taint is no joke

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

This cue changed my life

Same. It is super weird but it made a huge difference for my squat form.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I don't have the appropriate leverages to open my taint.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Got 4@245 bench today. Pauses were maybe a little short but gently caress it I'm ecstatic at even a hint of progress.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

VorpalFish posted:

Got 4@245 bench today. Pauses were maybe a little short but gently caress it I'm ecstatic at even a hint of progress.

Congrats! How many times a week are you benching?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

2-3 at this point. 1 day when I'm doing 531, then I'll throw in couple of 3x4-12 sets in on off days after primary lift.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Congrats pal. I bet you're hovering right under a 300 max like me aren't you. I'm cutting right now so ugh, doubt I'll get it anytime soon.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I wish. Hard stuck at 265 for the last ever. Hopefully getting fat over the winter helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Sounds like a mental block. Need to work on that mindset.