Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

:lol: Cornyn heel-turning from completely misanthropic chud to just a spineless mostly hateful one, ya love to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

No Safe Word posted:

:lol: Cornyn heel-turning from completely misanthropic chud to just a spineless mostly hateful one, ya love to see it

I wonder if the embarrassment that has been the past month or two will stick in the memory of GOP voters as rats leap from the sinking golden piss ship or if Trump will get memoryholed like GWB and McCain while Cornyn, Abbott, and friends cheerfully leash themselves to the next election's big chud.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wonder if the embarrassment that has been the past month or two will stick in the memory of GOP voters as rats leap from the sinking golden piss ship or if Trump will get memoryholed like GWB and McCain while Cornyn, Abbott, and friends cheerfully leash themselves to the next election's big chud.

this will all get memoryholed and Democrats will be all to happy to help

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
They got the supreme court.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd actually be fine if we investigated every ex-president and their admin after every presidency for malfeasance as a matter of course, but it would take a level of political independence on the part of the investigation that I don't think is possible.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

I'd actually be fine if we investigated every ex-president and their admin after every presidency for malfeasance as a matter of course, but it would take a level of political independence on the part of the investigation that I don't think is possible.

way off topic but i'd love to see a much stronger UN in my lifetime (for example, the authority to charge and imprison a president of the united states) and yet i cannot envision a scenario where that happens

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

way off topic but i'd love to see a much stronger UN in my lifetime (for example, the authority to charge and imprison a president of the united states) and yet i cannot envision a scenario where that happens

The actual legitimacy of the UN is guaranteed by the US military so maybe if you live 1000 years

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

No Safe Word posted:

hahahahaha

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

The actual legitimacy of the UN is guaranteed by the US military so maybe if you live 1000 years

*antonio guterres points at US military* internationalized

vv good point

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 18, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If the UN had actual power, it wouldn't exist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

No Safe Word posted:

god I hope he has internals showing the race is tight

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Just imagine how many rural counties a very large Harris county turnout nullifies. Every good news story about Harris turnout is another potential nail.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

i say swears online posted:

engaging in some mild trolling with a texter and I'm actually kinda interested in her reply and how fast she dropped MJ. I guess it's not a great look to argue

Her: Hi [name]! It's Camille with Travis County Dems. We're texting because you let us know you want to get off the sidelines, and the time is now! Early Voting begins today! Can we count on you to lit drop this weekend or make some calls from home?

Me: Nah, too many uncomfortable questions about MJ Hegar from people of color

Her: What about the other candidates on the ballot? We have many key congressional races that are also being voted on, not to mention the presidential election. Can we count on you to vote Democrat in the other races?

I know this was from ages ago but I wanted to respond! I'm not textbanking with this particular campaign, but in my experience campaigns tend to strongly discourage volunteers from arguing with the public. Campaigns tend to encourage volunteers to instead move on to someone who is more interested (or in this case, the volunteer seems to be trained to change the subject to something that you might be more open to).

I'm textbanking in some GOTV efforts and I've already heard every kind of response. Maybe some people are open to changing their minds but if I spent time arguing with every single oppositional response I don't know if I would have gotten to the people who had questions about the voting process in my county.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I were text banking, I would simply convert skeptics over to my side with facts, and reason.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

zoux posted:

I remember hearing about how several DC lae firms were hurting better the Obama administration wasn't corrupt enough. They are doing extremely well under Trump.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

legsarerequired posted:

I know this was from ages ago but I wanted to respond! I'm not textbanking with this particular campaign, but in my experience campaigns tend to strongly discourage volunteers from arguing with the public. Campaigns tend to encourage volunteers to instead move on to someone who is more interested (or in this case, the volunteer seems to be trained to change the subject to something that you might be more open to).

I'm textbanking in some GOTV efforts and I've already heard every kind of response. Maybe some people are open to changing their minds but if I spent time arguing with every single oppositional response I don't know if I would have gotten to the people who had questions about the voting process in my county.

yeah i thought it was a neat angle she took. i've mentioned this before itt but i argued for an hour with a texter for my dem congressional candidate, and then the candidate himself called me. it was polite and interesting and although i voted for his opponent in the primary he got my vote in the general

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

If I were text banking, I would simply convert skeptics over to my side with facts, and reason.

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/mjhegar/status/1317863038008107008

"john cornyn is a little bitch" may be a winning angle here

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Reconsidering my Hegar hate.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

So Cornyn’s quote included:

“President Trump. He is who he is. You either love him or hate him, and there’s not much in between. What I tried to do is not get into public confrontations and fights with him because, as I’ve observed, those usually don’t end too well.””

So if you can either love him or hate him, and you tried to hide all the disagreements you had with him... you are thus coming up with a weaselly way to say you hate his guts?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's probably not a fun experience to have to wade into a weird and hateful cult of personality for the sake of your career, but then that's the political position he stuck with.

I like that he's citing the deficit, the thing that nobody has honestly cared about beyond hypocritical power plays since the 90s. I guess being against the racist idiot wall is reasonable, but still on the low tier of things to disagree with the administration on. And y'know, he could've done something to stop it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like Abbott, Cornyn isn't really a movement conservative, not like Patrick or Cruz, and he's not particularly good at faking it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just noticed Texas has had fewer covid cases than California (not as much as the population gap would suggest ofc) but more deaths. Not entirely surprising but very frustrating. I guess this is the result of places like RGV having abysmal access to healthcare?

I think Texas has had one of the more... egregious examples of reporting spikes of "pneumonia" and other illnesses to avoid saying the C-word.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
So the people of Nextdoor have decided that

- There's an epidemic of people stealing Trump signs
- It's literal children doing this
- They will murder these children if they are found ~trespassing~ at night as they fear for their lives.

Glad my neighborhood is still on that Extremely Normal poo poo. I've seen like 2 or 3 political signs this go around and they're all trump ones lmao.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 19, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Some chud in my neighborhood literally chained their Trump sign to the yard and several others bring their signs in at night because people keep loving them up lmao. One dipshit a few streets over put a big ‘ol Trump flag high up in a tree where they think no one can gently caress with it.

Cowards.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have also seen several “my sign was stolen” whining nextdoor posts but there have been one or two Biden sign stolen ones in that mix. It’s a fairly even split in sign count here and way more signs overall than four years ago. I think yard signs make the neighborhood look like poo poo but I can deal with it. I really wish the guy at the end of my street didn’t decide to start flying one of those stupid blue line flags so I have to see it every time I look out my dining room window and I’m holding out hope he gets bored of that when politics season is over.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I saw a Dan Crenshaw sign in my neighborhood last week.

He's not our representative :confused: (it's Lizzie Fletcher, and her opponent Wesley Hunt is a perfectly chuddy enough Trump stooge to worship if that's your want)

In a neighborhood where a good chunk are boomers, that's the only R signs I've seen so far and there are plenty of D signs so that's good :shobon:

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

He's not our representative :confused: (it's Lizzie Fletcher, and her opponent Wesley Hunt is a perfectly chuddy enough Trump stooge to worship if that's your want)

In a neighborhood where a good chunk are boomers, that's the only R signs I've seen so far and there are plenty of D signs so that's good :shobon:

Lol

Speaking of Crenshaw he is my rep and his ads have been pretty similar to Cornyn in which he is suddenly very sensible and concerned about getting healthcare for people with pre-existing conditions. gently caress these ghouls.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Marxalot posted:

So the people of Nextdoor have decided that

- There's an epidemic of people stealing Trump signs
- It's literal children doing this
- They will murder these children if they are found ~trespassing~ at night as they fear for their lives.

Glad my neighborhood is still on that Extremely Normal poo poo. I've seen like 2 or 3 political signs this go around and they're all trump ones lmao.

There’s someone putting notes in mailboxes around here and they are not happy with it at all.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Nextdoor is a cesspool of Facebook proportions and should be avoided for the same reasons.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My god. It never occurred to me that boomers would be baffled by "be gay do crimes" but there it is...

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1318196320058880008

Nice, though hopefully this doesn't trigger that guy who thinks Sri is part of some racist coup to start posting again.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Shifty Pony posted:

My god. It never occurred to me that boomers would be baffled by "be gay do crimes" but there it is...

I'm not a boomer and I'm left but I'm still baffled by it. Please explain it?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

LLSix posted:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

LLSix posted:

Forget it Jake. It's twitter town.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like that he's citing the deficit, the thing that nobody has honestly cared about beyond hypocritical power plays since the 90s.

He's just getting the talking points warmed up for the next session of congress. The Republicans are going to be all deficit, all the time, the moment they're back out of power, and Cornyn is going to be leading the charge.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Some chud in my neighborhood literally chained their Trump sign to the yard and several others bring their signs in at night because people keep loving them up lmao. One dipshit a few streets over put a big ‘ol Trump flag high up in a tree where they think no one can gently caress with it.

Cowards.

One house a few blocks from me stuck their Trump sign in the middle of a cactus in their yard. It's been fun going on bike rides these last few weeks and making a mental catalogue of which of my neighbors are the most insane. (The "NELSON WOLFF IS HUMAN GARBAGE" sign from another couple blocks over is now gone, no idea if it was stolen or voluntarily taken down.)

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

No Safe Word posted:

For whatever reason Dan Crenshaw became the one conservative you're allowed to put yard signs up for in Montrose. I haven't seen a single Trump or Cornyn (lol) sign but around half a dozen to a dozen Crenshaw ones. They are hugely outnumbered by Sima signs but lol at this hellishly gerrymandered district's chances. :sigh:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LLSix posted:

LGBTQ+ rights have come in response to thrown bricks, not asking nicely, and that's something we need to remember and embrace.

More generally it is people pushing back at capitalism trying to turn Pride into a family friendly marketing opportunity.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Frostyhawk posted:

For whatever reason Dan Crenshaw became the one conservative you're allowed to put yard signs up for in Montrose. I haven't seen a single Trump or Cornyn (lol) sign but around half a dozen to a dozen Crenshaw ones. They are hugely outnumbered by Sima signs but lol at this hellishly gerrymandered district's chances. :sigh:

As a Montrose resident.. yeah :smith: Way too many Crenshaw signs, especially when you take into account Atascocita or wherever this helldistrict ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1318213117114044422

Record voting numbers? Guess we're not actually suppressing the vote like you said, checkmate libs!