Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I looked through the first post but don’t think I can identify what this issue is (darkened areas in certain scenes) https://youtu.be/g927bJv5y-4

Is there a term for this (other than, mytvisfucked)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Thom ZombieForm posted:

I looked through the first post but don’t think I can identify what this issue is (darkened areas in certain scenes) https://youtu.be/g927bJv5y-4

Looks like your backlight/LEDs are failing.

Does it have local dimming?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Does the tv have any sort of dynamic backlighting feature in the menu? I'm wondering if that combined with some failing LED's, or even a failing led driver board, is causing the weird fluctuations in the dimming.

Kind of going with MyTvIsFucked as the technical term though. Perhaps make and model information would give someone more knowledgeable an idea.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You know in those old timey shows where the analog TV won't stay tuned into it channel right, and dad walks over and smacks it, and it fixes it?

Might be worth trying to give it a good smack and see if that seats the power connections for those backlight LEDs. Worth a shot

Otherwise, yeah, warranty return

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Island Nation posted:

I might be getting a CX OLED in the next few days (yes, I saw the Sony deal but the main user doesn't care for Android). What would be the best way to take advantage of its strengths? The plan was for a FiOS box and Apple 4K to be connected.
If you're using an Apple TV 4K why would you ever need to be using the TV's smart interface? I used an ATV4K on the LG OLEDs I've previously owned and used webOS (which is trash) literally never.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
AppleTV is probably overpriced but it's worth it ten times over for me just for the piece of mind to never have to use a janky app for anything.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's a pretty good price for the hardware you get, I think, and the software is certainly well worth it. Infuse is the bomb.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Am I better off waiting for Black Friday to upgrade my TV?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I use the LG's built in apps all the time and never have issues. Even on my 2016 C6.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

RCarr posted:

Am I better off waiting for Black Friday to upgrade my TV?

Probably depends on what price range you're looking for. If you want the cheapest tv possible, might be worth it. Otherwise you probably just want to wait for a good sale on whatever model you're looking at.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Black Friday sales usually only apply to low/mid-range sets. Depending on what TVs you're looking at you probably won't see any major price differences between now and next month.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

wandler20 posted:

I use the LG's built in apps all the time and never have issues. Even on my 2016 C6.

Yeah I haven't used them much but my buddys tv must be 3-4 years old now, his was probably more than an OLED is now or about the same, and its still snappy. ATV is in no way worth it, very on brand

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

Black Friday sales usually only apply to low/mid-range sets. Depending on what TVs you're looking at you probably won't see any major price differences between now and next month.

I have a 10 year old 42” Toshiba, so I’m sure even low/mid-range set would be a huge upgrade. Probably just looking for a 55”-65” 4K tv from a name brand.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

If you're using an Apple TV 4K why would you ever need to be using the TV's smart interface? I used an ATV4K on the LG OLEDs I've previously owned and used webOS (which is trash) literally never.

I wasn't thinking of using WebOS. I meant in terms of TV calibration

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mental images of Black Friday crowds this year have me itchy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I got my dad an Apple TV when I fixed his Internet Subscription. Man the remotes on those things are terrible, with it’s sort of touch pad.
I am surprised that someone invented something worse than those Magic Remotes.
Even the TV’s Smart Interface at least let’s you move over icons to select what you want.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've never had a problem with the AppleTV remote. :shobon:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

I got my dad an Apple TV when I fixed his Internet Subscription. Man the remotes on those things are terrible, with it’s sort of touch pad.
I am surprised that someone invented something worse than those Magic Remotes.
Even the TV’s Smart Interface at least let’s you move over icons to select what you want.
It's better to use your phone as the remote since you can type on the keyboard. There's also a regular old remote for it made by Function101.

Island Nation posted:

I wasn't thinking of using WebOS. I meant in terms of TV calibration
You're going to be calibrating it once, why would the software matter?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

You're going to be calibrating it once, why would the software matter?

I didn't consider the OS to be its strength but the picture quality with the TV being a OLED. I was trying to find out the best way to calibrate the image or what settings were considered optimal.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Turn off TruMotion and then just adjust the other sliders to your liking. The correct picture settings for your new TV are whatever picture settings look the best to you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

American McGay posted:

Turn off TruMotion and then just adjust the other sliders to your liking. The correct picture settings for your new TV are whatever picture settings look the best to you.
With the one caveat being don't set OLED Backlight to 100 if you're worried about Burn In

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Women with fingernails especially hate the ATV Siri remotes.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

FilthyImp posted:

With the one caveat being don't set OLED Backlight to 100 if you're worried about Burn In

Game mode automatically puts that setting to 100, and I read some guides that said keep it at that for gaming, and I don't get why? I found it too bright actually to be comfortable so just turned it down, but I'm curious what the logic was.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Listerine posted:

Game mode automatically puts that setting to 100, and I read some guides that said keep it at that for gaming, and I don't get why? I found it too bright actually to be comfortable so just turned it down, but I'm curious what the logic was.
HDR use.

Anything that pops the HDR/Dolby Vision setting sets backlight to 100 so that it can do the HDR brightness/contrast stuff

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I have my TV connected to a soundbar via optical.
Is there a way to make it so that I can control the volume via the TV remote instead of having to use the sound bar remote? Would I be able to do that if I used the HDMI cable? I do have a hdmi arc or whatever it's called, but I'd hate to shuffle around back down for no reason.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's very ymmv but theoretically yes, using an HDMI cable instead of an optical one would enable HDMI-CEC which would allow you to control your soundbar volume with your TV remote.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Bioshuffle posted:

I have my TV connected to a soundbar via optical.
Is there a way to make it so that I can control the volume via the TV remote instead of having to use the sound bar remote? Would I be able to do that if I used the HDMI cable? I do have a hdmi arc or whatever it's called, but I'd hate to shuffle around back down for no reason.

If your tv remote and soundbar remote both use an IR blaster, you might also just be able to program the soundbar to recognize the TV remote

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

FilthyImp posted:

HDR use.

Anything that pops the HDR/Dolby Vision setting sets backlight to 100 so that it can do the HDR brightness/contrast stuff

If you adjust that setting down, does that then shut off HDR/Dolby Vision, or does it just mean you won't get the full range of brightness/contrast that those options provide?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Listerine posted:

If you adjust that setting down, does that then shut off HDR/Dolby Vision, or does it just mean you won't get the full range of brightness/contrast that those options provide?
Honestly I haven't tried turning it down when in HDR mode. For general use it doesn't matter since HDR is its own setting so it'll pop in and out of it when it detects compatible media.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 18, 2020

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Thom ZombieForm posted:

This was from the vizio “feature” called “film mode”, disabled = easy fix

Edit: never mind it came back VIZIO 55 Class LED PSeries 2160p Smart 4K UHD TV with HDR

Trying some other options

Edit 2 I think it’s the “active full array” setting description “based on the content, dynamically adjusts and balances brightness/contrast ratio of picture by locally adjusting backlight zones”

Fuckin vizio, need to watch another bly manor ep to confirm ;)

Thom ZombieForm fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 19, 2020

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Hughmoris posted:

For those with newer Sony TVs do a firmware update check. They've released an update in the past week or so, will supposedly fix my 'wifi turning off' issue and others.

I haven't received this update yet (X900H), but I was able to get it from the link in this post. It looks like it fixed my motion smoothing settings getting reset every time I turned it on.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 19, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

loving greentoe vendor took a week to even ship my TV, and now it's going to take another week to get here, because they use some chintzy logistics service instead of FedEx like everyone else. My last greentoe vendor shipped immediately and I got my TV the same week. Hit or miss I guess.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The exact model of TV I was looking at buying this holiday season just popped up as a refurbished Woot deal. Is it a good idea? https://electronics.woot.com/offers/lg-alexa-built-in-cx-4k-smart-oled-3

I am still a novice when it comes to AV stuff, though I enjoy it quite a bit. Is a refurbished TV a bad idea? Should I wait for Black Friday or is BF stuff pretty much only the derivative models?

Oh, and the TV stand I have (a floor cabinet, it’s not a wall mount) says it supports TVs up to 55” and 75 lbs. Can I safely upgrade to a 65” if it’s less than 75 lbs, as long as the stand is in the center of the TV?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Refurb on an OLED is dicey but on the bright side it's this year's model so the damage might not be that bad.

Personally I wouldn't take the chance for what amounts to $250 in savings, but it's probably fine.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I did more research since doing that post and discovered Costco is actually gonna have new units for cheaper on the 28th, so I’m gonna skip it, but I’ll leave that post up for future browsers.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Oh wow, yeah, looks like Costco will have the CX on sale at the end of this month. $1850 for the 65" with allstate protection plan included
Guess I'm finally gonna go pull the trigger

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Where are you seeing that? My brother has been in the market for like 5 years now and that might finally be the deal to push him over the edge.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
There's a leaked copy of the member deals mailer for the next month on slick deals. It's on there

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's the coupon book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

American McGay posted:

Where are you seeing that? My brother has been in the market for like 5 years now and that might finally be the deal to push him over the edge.