Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Warthur
May 2, 2004

midwifecrisis posted:

I'd love this too, though I don't think I had too many issues the system back in the early 00s, other than it being storyteller. What's wrong with it?

From my vague recollections: every power basically has a big Satanic flashy version and more subtle, controlled, hey-this-is-how-it-worked-before-I-Fell version. Every time you use a power, it might accidentally do the loud version rather than the controlled version.

IIRC, the core book had two mutually contradictory explanations for how you determined which version went off. I vaguely remember it may have been patched in the later books, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I loved trying to heal a party member and accidentally poisoning this poo poo out of them because I was too bitter about the Fall.

Honestly, it ruled.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Re: Demon I want to say in Demon there was something about Pacts that was never really well explained. I think it was that the book was never clear on whether just forming a Pact did whatever the human wanted (which meant any Fallen could do just about anything) or the demon had to do what the Pact stated (which makes more sense, how is a Devourer going to make somebody more beautiful or similar).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Basic reshaping of the human form? Making someone smarter or more attractive or healthier? Any demon can do that. Supernatural traits, they have to have the power in question to give it. And certain Houses have special things they can do in a Pact. If you want a symmetrical face and three more inches [Dealers choice where they go] though, yeah. Any demon can do that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dawgstar posted:

Re: Demon I want to say in Demon there was something about Pacts that was never really well explained. I think it was that the book was never clear on whether just forming a Pact did whatever the human wanted (which meant any Fallen could do just about anything) or the demon had to do what the Pact stated (which makes more sense, how is a Devourer going to make somebody more beautiful or similar).

I think that for the most part Pacts could perform miracles that the demon themselves wasn't capable of working under their own power, because the idea is that you were catalyzing and directing the spark of faith inside the pactee rather than using any of your own Lores. So making someone healthier or increasing their Appearance stat or whatever was an existing latent capability within their own soul that you were drawing out (and, of course, taking your own cut from).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi folks! I'm happy to announce that That Old Tree has been punished granted the powers of Idiot King for this thread. He will also be IK for the fatal and friends thread. Please continue posting gooder, and give That Old Tree all due deference now that he can probate you on any whim. Thanks!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I spent a whole half-hour finding out how to do this third-rate internet garbage meme, because I guess blingee is dead now, and it didn't even turn out right

I hope the announcement doesn't pucker up anyone too much. Apart from being given a tiny fiefdom to oversee, I endeavor to be as minimally stupid in my duties as I can be.

TG here, at least the parts I hang out in, is a pretty good intersection of respect and concern for those who deserve it, particularly marginalized groups, irreverence in general, and hilariously strong opinions about dice and book layout. In my own limited way, I'd like to nurture those aspects of the subforum. And while I have strident opinions about sensitivity and representation, never mind games, I'm just some white guy. In my capacity as IK I will try to be consciously open to the idea that I hosed up. So, if you think someone's hosed up, including me, please drop a line via forum PM or email me at thatoldtreeSA at gee mail.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/garnek/status/1317092805370667010

Brutal review of the new Werewolf game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Haha. Did they really call the Werewolf game a bad VtM story? Well yes, there's a reason for that!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh no, politics in my game about activist werewolves.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Can't believe they're injecting politics into my Adult™ game that, among many other things, mashes up Captain Planet and indigenous rights.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Literally every WoD thing is highly political!

Just sometimes it's politics as viewed by well-meaning but completely ignorant white liberals or swedish nazis

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

As a long-time D&D player, I am shocked to find more wizard spells in this new supplement.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Blockhouse posted:

Just sometimes it's politics as viewed by well-meaning but completely ignorant white liberals or swedish nazis

Remember, these are people who think Final Fantasy 7 wasn't political.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's not like 2nd edition Werewolf took a strong stance on Nazi werewolves.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's not like 2nd edition Werewolf took a strong stance on Nazi werewolves.

Amusingly in the game the Get are considered a forsaken tribe. Because Nazis. Like the main character is descended from Get, but everybody tells her 'yeah, no, find another one.'

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

Or, in the case of the 1st edition VtM core book, it's very big on anti-Communism to the point where Stalin and not Hitler was used as the token Example Of A Human Who Is Clearly More Evil Than Any Vampire, and the recommended reading in the appendix included stuff by actual fascists, recommended uncritically.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Warthur posted:

Or, in the case of the 1st edition VtM core book, it's very big on anti-Communism to the point where Stalin and not Hitler was used as the token Example Of A Human Who Is Clearly More Evil Than Any Vampire, and the recommended reading in the appendix included stuff by actual fascists, recommended uncritically.

I was going to say "well maybe Hitler was just a too hot of an issue to mention" but then I remembered what franchise we were talking about

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Warthur posted:

I'm looking at it and all I see in the Appendix are Paths, Merits/Flaws and Bestiary. I don't see a recommended reading at all, let alone a fascist one. I could be missing it but I looked a couple times.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm looking at it and all I see in the Appendix are Paths, Merits/Flaws and Bestiary. I don't see a recommended reading at all, let alone a fascist one. I could be missing it but I looked a couple times.

First Edition VTM, which is a different book from Third Edition. The section Warthur describes is titled Last Words and comes right before the index.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I Am Just a Box posted:

First Edition VTM, which is a different book from Third Edition. The section Warthur describes is titled Last Words and comes right before the index.

Ah, I got it now. Thanks.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eliade has big fascism problems, Rand is obvious, and what is Heinlein even doing there?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Mors Rattus posted:

Eliade has big fascism problems, Rand is obvious, and what is Heinlein even doing there?

Creeping on redheads and dreaming about the moon, as per his usual

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm not sure if I'm more offended that they didn't credit Neil Gaiman at all, or that they spelled Anne Rice wrong.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Time Enough For Love is about a jaded 2000 year old immortal with experience of a variety of incestual (pseudo and literal) relationships, which seems *extremely* on point for Vampire

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sandman is a graphic novel. Not a comic book, you nerd.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
it's only a comic book if it's from the pagliacci reason of italy

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

Ah, I got it now. Thanks.

ngl a part of me wonders what WoD would be like if it was based on modern Rice, what with the bird aliens leaving replimoids in Atlantis who can resurrect vampire ghosts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dienes posted:

ngl a part of me wonders what WoD would be like if it was based on modern Rice, what with the bird aliens leaving replimoids in Atlantis who can resurrect vampire ghosts.

I think that was called Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dienes posted:

In World of Darkness the precursor civilization to mankind is a reptilian/dinosaur society that becomes the Mokole. I'm sure there's probably bird aliens out in the deep umbra because anything can be out in the deep umbra.

Dawgstar posted:

I think that was called Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand.

This.

They also went too far, too quickly and had to dial it because holy poo poo. A secret cabal of vampires and mages make a secret base in the Underworld ruins of the First City and fight a secret war against the Cronenberg alien/spirits/whatever the gently caress that are behind Vicissitude.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It will never not annoy me that the WoD treats the Fall of Rome as an actual, literal sack of the city in 476AD. Revisiting Wraith's line since somehow the mass casualties list was lost (what's the mass casualties list? A big rear end list of all the events mentioned as producing many wraiths with possible population ranges based on the low, high, and median values for the event, each of which then has 4 possible ratings for wraith production - the 'peacetime standard' set out in Ends of Empire (1 in 20), the more prevalent for these events 1 in 5 standard, the 1 in 2 standard for major battles etc, and the special 'holy poo poo' standard for mass atrocities.) and using the chance to incorporate some real history work into the expanded timeline document and just seething at my desk with this 'when Rome fell to the Barbarians in 476, and they burned the city to the ground, thousands of wraiths emerged!' nonsense.

(Although the part where the popular conception of Imperial Rome dying (not, uh, that it actually did...) allowed Charon to literally steal the idea of being an Emperor in a kind of abstract conceptual reaping will never not be funny to me. He had to wait for The Idea Of Empire to die to (formally) make an empire! What a fuckin dork!)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Loomer posted:

(Although the part where the popular conception of Imperial Rome dying (not, uh, that it actually did...) allowed Charon to literally steal the idea of being an Emperor in a kind of abstract conceptual reaping will never not be funny to me. He had to wait for The Idea Of Empire to die to (formally) make an empire! What a fuckin dork!)

So did they not address the Babylonian Empires, the Assyrians, the Egyptians? Even in the Greco-Roman region you have Alexander's death right there.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bewilderment posted:

So did they not address the Babylonian Empires, the Assyrians, the Egyptians? Even in the Greco-Roman region you have Alexander's death right there.

Entirely possible that they don't know who any of those are.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The thing I like best about ChronD is that it's written by people who clearly have more than a high school education background in their subject matter and it's Really Nice For A Change.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

bewilderment posted:

Oh, it's never outright said that he had to wait for an Empire to die and he almost certainly didn't need to since he predates Alexander himself, it's just really funny to me that it's in 476 that he names himself an Emperor, since it's right right when the Roman Empire 'ends'.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

The thing I like best about ChronD is that it's written by people who clearly have more than a high school education background in their subject matter and it's Really Nice For A Change.

I have purchased at least two books as research for each contract I’ve taken for Scion, too. (Not that I was mandated to do this, I just get really, really into my research.)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Mors Rattus posted:

I have purchased at least two books as research for each contract I’ve taken for Scion, too. (Not that I was mandated to do this, I just get really, really into my research.)

Your level of expertise is one I aspire to, so. Thank YOU for caring.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mors Rattus posted:

High-five for the obsessive research crowd. I wound up with a small library on pre-modern agriculture and economics just to answer the question 'what do elves eat' once.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The really annoying part is when the stuff I really want to read is in a language I don’t understand.

Which is most of them!

I have seriously considered trying to learn both German and Classical Mongolian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mors Rattus posted:

The really annoying part is when the stuff I really want to read is in a language I don’t understand.

Which is most of them!

I have seriously considered trying to learn both German and Classical Mongolian.

I feel you. My academic specialty involves hybridizing a French theorist with a German theorist, and half the existing literature on that effort is in... You guessed it... Italian for some loving reason. Italians really seem to dig the idea.