Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

10 Piece All-Clad D3 set for $431.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14440535-10-pc-all-clad-d3-stainless-steel-cookware-set-431-after-12-slickdeals-cashback-free-s-h?src=frontpage

Edit, I guess slickdeals is also doing some sort of cash back thing, and for that set it's 12% back, so that's a $51 value as well.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14426903-slickdeals-extension-exclusive-desktop-only-slickdeals-cashback-via-macy-s-earn-12-back-free-shipping

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty unsatisfied with my tortilla press and am looking into getting a roller of some kind. Any recommendations? This seems fine but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I would like a recommendation for a folding tortilla press.

Cast iron? Wood? Aluminum?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

sturdy cardboard folds up pretty good

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

scuz posted:

I'm pretty unsatisfied with my tortilla press and am looking into getting a roller of some kind. Any recommendations? This seems fine but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Most of the reviews on Amazon suggest that they're selling lovely broken counterfeit rollers, which seems pretty par for the course with Amazon these days.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I would like a recommendation for a folding tortilla press.

Cast iron? Wood? Aluminum?

I got this one (assuming that’s you meant) and it seems good. I use a zip loc bag I cut off the top and split the sides on and the tortillas peel right off. This thing is heavy and doesn’t flex when I press them, and also has some sort of fancy coating that makes it maintenance free. It’s also made in the US if that sort of thing matters to you.

ARC USA, 0026, 8 inch Cast Iron Tortilla Press, Press surface diameter, Heavy Duty, Even Pressing - Black (8 1/10") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N14WRD5/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I got this one (assuming that’s you meant) and it seems good. I use a zip loc bag I cut off the top and split the sides on and the tortillas peel right off. This thing is heavy and doesn’t flex when I press them, and also has some sort of fancy coating that makes it maintenance free. It’s also made in the US if that sort of thing matters to you.

ARC USA, 0026, 8 inch Cast Iron Tortilla Press, Press surface diameter, Heavy Duty, Even Pressing - Black (8 1/10") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N14WRD5/

I have a very similar one, it's good. Also great for making arepas.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Most of the reviews on Amazon suggest that they're selling lovely broken counterfeit rollers, which seems pretty par for the course with Amazon these days.
Sheesh, yeah, I did a little more looking and the genuine Gonzalez product is $1,750 which is waaaaaaay more than I'm willing to spend.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This is similar to the one that I have and for some reason it doesn't press evenly, is that a "me using too much dough" problem?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

scuz posted:

Sheesh, yeah, I did a little more looking and the genuine Gonzalez product is $1,750 which is waaaaaaay more than I'm willing to spend.

This is similar to the one that I have and for some reason it doesn't press evenly, is that a "me using too much dough" problem?

Mine wasn’t even when I started but it realized it was because I still had the lip on the zip loc bag and that was interfering. Then it’s also a matter of finding the right spot to put the dough ball before pressing, which is a little off-center, closer to the hinge. Now I get perfectly round, even thickness tortillas.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

scuz posted:

Get the All-Clad set above this post, put the dutch oven upside down and then use the big sauce pan to smush the dough flat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

Get the All-Clad set above this post, put the dutch oven upside down and then use the big sauce pan to smush the dough flat.

I mean sure. I've rolled dough with a wine bottle and used a skillet to pound chicken breasts. Most things we do in the kitchen can be done without specific tools, but having the right tool is a nice quality of life upgrade.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone have suggestions for dealing with the smells/vaporized grease from doing Korean BBQ at home? Even running the kitchen vent and having open windows with fans I still end up with lingering smells for a day or two. I looked into a portable fume extractor, but (price aside) the available offerings are meant for soldering. I suspect they'd get killed by grease buildup. I'll probably end up trying one of those electric grills that have side fans like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Techwood-Smokeless-Non-stick-Extractor-Technology/dp/B08CKD2451 and see how that goes.

But I wanted to see what solutions others might have found.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

.Z. posted:

Anyone have suggestions for dealing with the smells/vaporized grease from doing Korean BBQ at home? Even running the kitchen vent and having open windows with fans I still end up with lingering smells for a day or two. I looked into a portable fume extractor, but (price aside) the available offerings are meant for soldering. I suspect they'd get killed by grease buildup. I'll probably end up trying one of those electric grills that have side fans like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Techwood-Smokeless-Non-stick-Extractor-Technology/dp/B08CKD2451 and see how that goes.

But I wanted to see what solutions others might have found.

Get an induction hotplate, take it outside and cook it there maybe?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
An air purifier with at least five pounds of active charcoal in the filter, like this one, will help.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cook it outside

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I use delitainers for leftover storage almost exclusively. My housemates, however, do not, and I can't deal with an entire drawer full of mismatched lids and bases anymore. Can someone recommend a decent set of tupperware that ideally has only a few lid sizes?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Rubbermaid easy find lids

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

bamhand posted:

Are the 80 dollar thermoworks readers significantly better than the 20 dollar thermopro readers? The descriptions provided by the companies make them sound similar.

just after reading these posts, I was cleaning my ThermoPro and the probe just completely came off. the "guts" are really thin wires, and I can't stuff them back inside and repair it. it lasted 11 months. prior to that, I was perfectly happy with it....

I used to have a ThermoWorks Mk 2, I think. I'd still be using that, but my ex left it on a burner and then I did the exact same thing a week later. even then, it didn't break, but the battery compartment was melted shut, so when the battery died, that was it.

edit:
to be clear, ThermoPro is one of the cheap ripoff brands. I just bought a ThermoPop and some books from ThermoWorks.

THERMO

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 18, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ah well, guess I’m out of luck on indoor Korean bbq.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
With the assumption that I'm a casual chef who doesn't need top-of-the-line equipment, any recommendations for:

1. An all-rounder chef's knife
2. A knife that's focused on slicing vegetables
2a) Do any of those slicing gizmos that can auto-dice an onion or whatever actually work?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

With the assumption that I'm a casual chef who doesn't need top-of-the-line equipment, any recommendations for:

1. An all-rounder chef's knife
2. A knife that's focused on slicing vegetables
2a) Do any of those slicing gizmos that can auto-dice an onion or whatever actually work?

The answer to all those is this 8" victorinox chef's knife. Don't buy auto-slicers, if you need to cut things often into even rounds you can pick up a mandolin but if you're beginner to intermediate in the kitchen that's like keeping a gun in your home and will end in disaster.

If you're cutting a lot of root veg on the regular, or doing things like breaking down chickens, you can make an argument for a cleaver. It's heavier and you can use a less acute edge on it when you sharpen it so it will hold an edge longer.

e: Yeah I changed the link after I noticed sorry vv

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 19, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Don't you generally want an 8in chef knife?

Edit: never mind, the link was originally for a 6in knife

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

The answer to all those is this 8" victorinox chef's knife. Don't buy auto-slicers, if you need to cut things often into even rounds you can pick up a mandolin but if you're beginner to intermediate in the kitchen that's like keeping a gun in your home and will end in disaster.

If you're cutting a lot of root veg on the regular, or doing things like breaking down chickens, you can make an argument for a cleaver. It's heavier and you can use a less acute edge on it when you sharpen it so it will hold an edge longer.

e: Yeah I changed the link after I noticed sorry vv

Thanks. I do have a knife set that's about a decade old and has never been sharpened, so you can guess that they're not exactly razor sharp anymore. Maybe I should try a cheap sharpener first to see if I can get some more life out of them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A mediocre blade frequently sharpened will be pretty much as good as an excellent blade sharpened less frequently.

I got this sharpener which I believe is America's test kitchen's recommendation. It works well and you can use it for both Asian and european-style knives.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007IVBET0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QdnJFbV3RSMEE

The only thing I would recommend is getting a high quality bread knife. I recently replaced my old IKEA one with this one and it's a night and day difference. You can't really sharpen a serrated knife yourself without a bunch of specialized tools so getting a good bread knife will save you a lot of pain later on.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000PS1HS6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lgnJFbB9RJ6MW

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks. I do have a knife set that's about a decade old and has never been sharpened, so you can guess that they're not exactly razor sharp anymore. Maybe I should try a cheap sharpener first to see if I can get some more life out of them.

A word of warning about the pull through sharpeners, they tend not to sharpen so much as just raise a lot of burrs that make the knife seem sharper. If it's a cheap knife you don't care about, that probably won't bother you. If you have the time and some patience, you can try freehand sharpening. The investment in equipment can be as low as $20-30. A Norton fine India stone, for example, can be had for $21, and you could lubricate it with diluted Simple Green. Also, keep in mind that if you get a new knife, it will eventually get dull. So it's worth considering learning sharpening or finding someone who does that sort of thing.
Also, seconding the Victorinox Fibrox if you buy a new knife. America's Test Kitchen has been singing its praises you years as the best value for your money on the market. I bought a hand forged wa-gyuto a few years back that takes an edge that probably rivals my straight razors, and the Fibrox is still my go-to general use knife.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Glockamole posted:

A word of warning about the pull through sharpeners, they tend not to sharpen so much as just raise a lot of burrs that make the knife seem sharper. If it's a cheap knife you don't care about, that probably won't bother you. If you have the time and some patience, you can try freehand sharpening. The investment in equipment can be as low as $20-30. A Norton fine India stone, for example, can be had for $21, and you could lubricate it with diluted Simple Green. Also, keep in mind that if you get a new knife, it will eventually get dull. So it's worth considering learning sharpening or finding someone who does that sort of thing.
Also, seconding the Victorinox Fibrox if you buy a new knife. America's Test Kitchen has been singing its praises you years as the best value for your money on the market. I bought a hand forged wa-gyuto a few years back that takes an edge that probably rivals my straight razors, and the Fibrox is still my go-to general use knife.

Does anyone else have afilador's or is that a specifically Miami thing. Its a truck that will go around, playing a jingle much in the same way an Ice Cream truck would and you flag them down and they sharpen any blades you have out the back of the truck. They usually had a set schedule and territory (or you could go to them) but you could always count on like the 2nd Sunday of every month the afilador comes through. No one outside of Miami seems to have heard of this, well at least in the US.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We had an irregular such guy near us in the SF Bay Area, and there's one that pops by on an indeterminate schedule in our neighbourhood in Toronto. Do they do a good job with knives? I figured they were more for pruning shears and lawnmower blades, which they can happily grind away on.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pull through sharpeners suck rear end

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Subjunctive posted:

We had an irregular such guy near us in the SF Bay Area, and there's one that pops by on an indeterminate schedule in our neighbourhood in Toronto. Do they do a good job with knives? I figured they were more for pruning shears and lawnmower blades, which they can happily grind away on.

They would do everything, they had all kinds of set ups and would manually do the good knives, usually a 2 man crew.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've mostly switched to stones for enjoyment reasons, but when I have to touch up a bunch of blades in a hurry or I come across a really bad one, the Work Sharp belt thing I have does a pretty great job.

Just have to be quick about sharpening because the sound drives my girlfriend mad.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

There's kits that make it foolproof to sharpen with stones like Langsky or Edge Pro. If you're really cheap you could get chinese knockoffs of the former and just use quality stones for it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I think asking someone to invest in whetstones and learning the whole technique is a lot considering this person has some crappy knives from 10 years ago that he's never sharpened.

He's probably way more likely to spend the 30 seconds it takes to use one of these pull through sharpeners every month to keep the blade acceptably sharp, basically forever, than to invest all this time and money in stones and then never use it because it's too much of a pain.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

halokiller posted:

There's kits that make it foolproof to sharpen with stones like Langsky or Edge Pro. If you're really cheap you could get chinese knockoffs of the former and just use quality stones for it.

I have an old (2007? it came with a CD-ROM) Edge Pro Apex that I got as a gift and never really used. Happy to send it to any goon who wants it for the price of shipping from Canada (which might not be insubstantial, given the long shape). PM me if you're interested.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think asking someone to invest in whetstones and learning the whole technique is a lot considering this person has some crappy knives from 10 years ago that he's never sharpened.

He's probably way more likely to spend the 30 seconds it takes to use one of these pull through sharpeners every month to keep the blade acceptably sharp, basically forever, than to invest all this time and money in stones and then never use it because it's too much of a pain.

I agree with this, I have some half decent knives and I learned to use whetstones and, like you say, I could never really be bothered to do it, so I bought a pull through of the same brand (Pro Cook) which has a diamond and a ceramic wheel and I'm happy with how sharp it gets them, I can still slice tomatoes razor thin and the effort to reward ratio is much better. "Seems sharper" is still sharper in my book. Sure it may reduce the longevity of my knives but I'm not really that precious about them, if in 10 years they are somehow unusable then I will buy new ones.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Pull through sharpeners are my go to advice for most folks because most people will never invest in a sharpener over $20 and if they have to use anything more complicated than a pull through, they will never sharpen their knives at all

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I just bought that 8" Victorinox Fibrox. My current knife set is Farberware, so I'm guessing this knife brand new is going to be a marked improvement over my 10 year old knives.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Subjunctive posted:

I have an old (2007? it came with a CD-ROM) Edge Pro Apex that I got as a gift and never really used. Happy to send it to any goon who wants it for the price of shipping from Canada (which might not be insubstantial, given the long shape). PM me if you're interested.

if you've still got it, I'm interested. shoot me a missive at sandwichempty at gmail? (I lost my PMs in the Great War)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

14 piece full clad 3 layer set by Tramontina for $200 at Sam's Club ATM

https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-...=Slickdeals+LLC

I believe Tramontia is the runner up for American Test Kitchen's pick for pretty much all their all clad type pots and pans, so if you'd have to spend more than $200 to get the individual pieces you're interested in this is a great deal.

Edit: This is has all the important full sized stuff you'd want, no skimping on the skillet, sauce pan, or stock pot sizes

8" Sauté Pan
10" Sauté Pan
12" Sauté Pan
6-Quart Deep Sauté Pan with lid
2-Quart Sauce Pan with lid
3-Quart Sauce Pan with lid
5-Quart Dutch Oven with lid
8-Quart Stock Pot with lid
Stainless Steel Steamer (Fits 3-Quart Sauce Pan)

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 20, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Inspired by a couple of the other forums, I've thrown up a feedback thread for GWS here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944730

Swing by if you've got opinions or suggestions, or something you want to get off your chest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
In the same vein, Costco has a Kirkland 10 piece 5-ply cookware set for $199.99

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-10-piece-5-ply-clad-stainless-steel-cookware.product.100515142.html