Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
well, yeah, but I heard morales was an authoritarian. therefore all this is cool. i'm confident the bolivians who were cheerleading the coup last year will be along any minute to explain that this is both normal procedure and good actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jmkarg/status/1318040415036182528?s=19

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's good that evo won actually

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
That's an exit poll?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

hoiyes posted:

That's an exit poll?

Yes

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Amazing, I hope this is accurate.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
This is 2020. I fear hope. :(

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

There may be a lot of bullshit happening in Bolivia, but no one should treat Ben Norton as a legitimate journalist.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Good on you, Bolivia.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Bolivia is one of the few bright spots in the world that keep me from blackpilling. While progressives and the left in the US are still having the same boring academic debates about race vs class, Indigenous people and labor unions in Bolivia are standing together against imperialism.

mA fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 19, 2020

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Haha even loving Anez conceded

https://twitter.com/JeanineAnez/status/1318048552191483904?s=20

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

You love to see it.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Ego-bot posted:

There may be a lot of bullshit happening in Bolivia, but no one should treat Ben Norton as a legitimate journalist.

He is.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1318060805074681856

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nice. Will Morales be allowed to return then?

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

I could draw up plausible scenarios where either the Dems or Republicans hire her to be "Director of Latino Outreach" in the not too distant future.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
And the exit poll still fails to take into account the large amounts of rural votes that are reported last. Chances are pretty good that even if Camacho had folded it still wouldn't have been enough to keep Arce from winning in the first round. And keep in mind that these are the results we receive AFTER all the golpista numbers fuckery and voter intimidation have made their effect. I'd say "Jesus Christ, it's an absolute massacre" but we know who's been doing the massacring for the last few months.

anyway looks like a whole bunch of bolivian expats got into twitter for nothing lmao

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

mA posted:

I could draw up plausible scenarios where either the Dems or Republicans hire her to be "Director of Latino Outreach" in the not too distant future.

Her kids are going to write the worst op-eds for the NYT.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I look forward to the New York Times and Washington Post pieces about how Bolivia "chose to relive its tragic downfall" and "good intentions were not enough" or whatever.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
I'm actually a little stumped that the christofascists allowed the election to happen. After all the violence they did last time, I expected them to just go full pinochet on the MAS leaders.

Are they much weaker than they blustered? Reactionaries, paper tigers, etc.?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ecureuilmatrix posted:

I'm actually a little stumped that the christofascists allowed the election to happen. After all the violence they did last time, I expected them to just go full pinochet on the MAS leaders.

Evil can be rock stupid too.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

ecureuilmatrix posted:

I think they bought their own bullshit.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Winning the election is just one step. There's still powerful institutions that supported in the coup, and who knows what they've done in other institutions since. And the re-nationalization of privatized industries is going to get bogged down in lawsuits from vulture funds and maybe get blockaded.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ecureuilmatrix posted:

There's a shitload of support for MAS that evidently mobilized into a genuine threat, and also they didn't follow through on their payoffs to the cops that were promised for helping out with the coup in the first place,.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Well, in the one year they were in power they accomplished a lot of what they wanted to do: e.g. privatize industries, take out loans from the World Bank, etc. I have a feeling it's going to be difficult for Arce and MAS to roll that stuff back, unfortunately.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
MAS seems to be crushing it right now, results are 52 for Luis Arce and 31 for Carlos Mesa, it's not even close.

https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-america-latina-54588089

E:
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1318045436087799808?s=19

https://twitter.com/evoespueblo/status/1318066318453637121?s=19

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 19, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

holy poo poo arce is going to come out of this with the strongest mandate in the literal world

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
One woman still has not given up hope!

https://twitter.com/JhanisseVDaza/status/1318009368240181248

After all, she couldn't even give her speech on successful regime change FOR DEMOCRACY at sxsw this year due to covid! If this farce of a result stands, her NGO career would be in shambles before it really took off!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Spice World War II posted:

One woman still has not given up hope!

https://twitter.com/JhanisseVDaza/status/1318009368240181248

After all, she couldn't even give her speech on successful regime change FOR DEMOCRACY at sxsw this year due to covid! If this farce of a result stands, her NGO career would be in shambles before it really took off!

Praying for her career.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ecureuilmatrix posted:

They started off massacring people except that didn't work and just made them more rebellious where they were doing stuff like general strikes and massive road blockades that left them with no choice

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Basically, they were unable to either take over the MAS-controlled legislature (which is quite powerful in Bolivia) or find a presidential candidate they could unite behind. The senate said 'gently caress you, we're having elections', and Anez had to fold.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Basically, they were unable to either take over the MAS-controlled legislature (which is quite powerful in Bolivia) or find a presidential candidate they could unite behind. The senate said 'gently caress you, we're having elections', and Anez had to fold.

The senate was setting elections date from January on. What made Aņez cave and finally set elections was the realization that even though she sent the military in to massacre protestors early, this didn't break the MAS and social movements organization, and there was blockades again and again.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Get hosed you stupid pack of christofascist wastes of oxygen.

It was satisfying seeing these showers of poo poo gently caress up every attempt at retaining power due to infighting, incompetence, and a surge of people who wouldn't take their bullshit.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What fantastic news. Congratulations! gently caress the CIA.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I really hope that splitting the vote during a crucial election damages Camacho's reputation and support on the Bolivian right. It's never, ever a good sign when the head of a Nazi militia is able to become a significant political player, and it'd be great if they descended into infighting over this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even if the MAS gets into power, there's still a lot of work to be done. If they have any brains a lot of army and police should be going away for treason. (if they're lucky, going away to Florida)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Darth Walrus posted:

I really hope that splitting the vote during a crucial election damages Camacho's reputation and support on the Bolivian right. It's never, ever a good sign when the head of a Nazi militia is able to become a significant political player, and it'd be great if they descended into infighting over this.

you dont understand everyone wants to be the fuhrer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phobophilia posted:

you dont understand everyone wants to be the fuhrer

This is pretty much the fascist mindset in a nutshell, though with south american gusano wannabes it's also key to remember they don't consider themselves actually part of the country, but the natural ruling class and master race who need to keep their lessers in line.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bix44C1EzY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ecureuilmatrix posted:

The pro-MAS majority basically said that a) if the election were delayed any further they would do a general strike and shut down the entire country, and b) they would violently resist any new coup attempt at the elections. And then when the election was delayed and they used strikes and blockades to prove that they actually could shut down the country, the coup regime was more or less presented with the choice to either hold the elections or commit genocide and I guess they decided on elections. Maybe because:

mA posted:

Well, in the one year they were in power they accomplished a lot of what they wanted to do: e.g. privatize industries, take out loans from the World Bank, etc. I have a feeling it's going to be difficult for Arce and MAS to roll that stuff back, unfortunately.