Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

pospysyl posted:

Are you using the turbo-dash, ie holding the dash button down? I don't think the game actually tells you it exists, but it's part of the Gilgamesh moveset.

I had no idea that was a thing so thanks, that's probably a big reason it felt bad to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Holy moley guan yu is terrible

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
No the special is hugely strong and the drawback is overcomeable

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The special is good, too bad every other aspect of Guan Yu is terrible and poorly-designed.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Guan Yu is the worst aspect.

Bow is the worst weapon overall.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MMAgCh posted:

I was almost 80 runs into the save before he finally coughed up the phrase for me. Now I'm waiting for him to hit a couple of conversation triggers that are apparently needed for the epilogue prophecy to become available. :sigh:

I'm stuck on stupid Poseidon because I can't seem to find a fish before encountering him.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

OhFunny posted:

I'm stuck on stupid Poseidon because I can't seem to find a fish before encountering him.

As in maxing Poseidon's heart meter? I think it's about catching all the types of fish in every (normal, 4-act) biome, rather than catching fish in that exact run. I know that it took me ages, but once I finally caught my first legendary fish in Asphodel the very next run (which I forced with trinket) he commented on it and unlocked.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I did it....

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Serephina posted:

As in maxing Poseidon's heart meter? I think it's about catching all the types of fish in every (normal, 4-act) biome, rather than catching fish in that exact run. I know that it took me ages, but once I finally caught my first legendary fish in Asphodel the very next run (which I forced with trinket) he commented on it and unlocked.

That's a prophecy. The favor to unlock the rest of his meter is that you have to have caught a fish in the run before you speak to him the first time that run.

Basically you have to go out of your way to avoid him on that run until you've caught a fish, and if you can't do that then oh well better luck next run.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I like when (Chaos fishing spoilers) you catch a fish in chaos and Chaos is like, hey good work gettin that fish. It's gonna be fun for me to watch you get more." Stuff like that just takes this from being a very good game to "one of the best games I've played in a couple years".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Serephina posted:

I have no luck getting the legendary fishes in Asphodel and Elysium; even though it says perfect catch :argh:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I seem to be stuck on the fish prophecy for not finding a very rare fish. I've perfect caught fish, including with poseidon's boon, I'm not sure what to do

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Perfect catch means you are guaranteed a middle-tier fish and you have little less than a 5% chance of it being top-tier.

If you're slow and you only score a regular catch, you get a bottom-tier fish, with the same ~5% chance at a middle-tier. Top-tier fish aren't even on the table.

At least, this is what I read on the wiki and results in my game seem to align with that

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 19, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Strobe posted:

That's a prophecy. The favor to unlock the rest of his meter is that you have to have caught a fish in the run before you speak to him the first time that run.

Basically you have to go out of your way to avoid him on that run until you've caught a fish, and if you can't do that then oh well better luck next run.

Goddamnit, it took me ages to get the flame tentacle fish thing, and it was all for nothing? Sigh, makes sense.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

crepeface posted:

Guan Yu is the worst aspect.

Bow is the worst weapon overall.

with the exception of chiron, which is the best aspect

get artemis' flourish on that bad boy and watch everything disappear like you just hit it with pixie dust

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've been doing some Heat 0 runs to get all of those rewards, and landed on this set of stuff:

Rocket Bomb + Triple Bomb is a crazy combo, and works way better with Eris than I was expecting. And Charm works on everyone, including Hades and is especially fun on Theseus and Asterius.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm forcing Zeus to show up everytime I run the gun and he just won't talk to me about it. He's all like "Haha why don't we tell everyone you're my son" well I'll only call you daddy with a NEW GUN PLEASE

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

I like when (Chaos fishing spoilers) you catch a fish in chaos and Chaos is like, hey good work gettin that fish. It's gonna be fun for me to watch you get more." Stuff like that just takes this from being a very good game to "one of the best games I've played in a couple years".

They also have a comment if you mess up, which is great too.

This game is just oozing all manner of incidental dialog. Than commented (albeit generically) on me buying a new item for the west hall while he was nearby. Given he's there like, 1/10th of the time, it kinda surprised me they bothered.

Also (post-credits related) I used the Hades' greater call while fighting him. "FATHER!" "WHAT!?"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I got this a few days ago and Jesus, it's honestly gotten kind of stupid just how good Supergiant is at this. They're lapping the rest of the industry on this "integrating story into gameplay" poo poo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Gee it's been a while since I tried to fight Charon maybe for some magical reason this time he'll just kill me less somehow :buddy:

:gonk:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Same run. Patroclus is a bro

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MJeff posted:

I got this a few days ago and Jesus, it's honestly gotten kind of stupid just how good Supergiant is at this. They're lapping the rest of the industry on this "integrating story into gameplay" poo poo.

It's kind of incredible how every other rogue-like is basically, "nah, you can't really do a proper story in these games. Just go with some lore and a framing device then call it good."

While Supergiant is like, "you fools, you loving amateurs. Watch this."

The first time I "beat" the game I was giddy at how the story unfolded.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm getting so sick of Charon's poo poo. Every time I get some good stuff before getting to him halfway through Tartarus, he hides his coin purse. :argh:

He's actively trying to sabotage me so he can win that bet with Hermes.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Artelier posted:

I'm forcing Zeus to show up everytime I run the gun and he just won't talk to me about it. He's all like "Haha why don't we tell everyone you're my son" well I'll only call you daddy with a NEW GUN PLEASE
You're totally sure you have 5 blood invested? I kept running around wondering why it wouldn't trigger and it turned out I had only spent 4 blood on it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I got Hades a few months ago in EA and bounced off it hard but seeing everyone raving about it convinced me to give it another try and boy am I glad I did because this game is insanely loving good on every conceivable metric

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Skippy McPants posted:

It's kind of incredible how every other rogue-like is basically, "nah, you can't really do a proper story in these games. Just go with some lore and a framing device then call it good."

While Supergiant is like, "you fools, you loving amateurs. Watch this."

The first time I "beat" the game I was giddy at how the story unfolded.

Slay the Spire has a fun story and characters that all have a little more depth than you'd think at first glance but it's obviously very light and mostly implied. Hades is so much more robust relative to that.

Ms Adequate posted:

I got Hades a few months ago in EA and bounced off it hard but seeing everyone raving about it convinced me to give it another try and boy am I glad I did because this game is insanely loving good on every conceivable metric

I honestly didn't think they were ever gonna be able to outdo Bastion because that game was so great and this one is somehow even better.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

MJeff posted:

I honestly didn't think they were ever gonna be able to outdo Bastion because that game was so great and this one is somehow even better.

Agreed, Supergiant have put out some great games in the last decade but Hades makes even the rest of their own catalog look like a warmup. It feels kind of cruel to compare them to other devs at this point.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
gently caress Hermes and gently caress his Bad News legendary boon. I've been running Stygian Soul for a half dozen runs now which is objectively worse than Infernal Soul, just to get Hermes' legendary, and HE STILL WON'T loving DROP IT. Hell, I can only get auto-reload like, once every three runs.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Sydin posted:

gently caress Hermes and gently caress his Bad News legendary boon. I've been running Stygian Soul for a half dozen runs now which is objectively worse than Infernal Soul, just to get Hermes' legendary, and HE STILL WON'T loving DROP IT. Hell, I can only get auto-reload like, once every three runs.

If you equip his keep sake, you can get Bad News without Auto-Reload

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Control Volume posted:

Same run. Patroclus is a bro

Yeah, sometimes I make a few missteps early but I try to keep it up through Elysium anyway, for the chance that Patroclus-sempai will save my run.

It's even odds whether I'll have actually turned the build around by then, mind you.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ms Adequate posted:

Agreed, Supergiant have put out some great games in the last decade but Hades makes even the rest of their own catalog look like a warmup. It feels kind of cruel to compare them to other devs at this point.

Team Cherry, maybe? Feels fair to compare them to Team Cherry in terms of "making most of the rest of the industry look like total goofballs".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sydin posted:

it isn't objectively worse, it doesn't require you to pick up the casts and you get your cast back every 3 seconds regardless of whether it's stuck in an enemy or not, whereas infernal soul can have all 3 casts stuck in a boss for some time and you have to wait out the whole drop timer to use them again

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Nooooooooo.

I finally got a fish before Poseidon appeared, but the invite from Mom took priority.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I'd heard people talking up this 32-heat run all the time, and I knew there was something about statues, but it wasn't until a week after my 8 heat run I actually noticed there was something new to interact with in Skelly's room. Guh.

pospysyl posted:

Are you using the turbo-dash, ie holding the dash button down? I don't think the game actually tells you it exists, but it's part of the Gilgamesh moveset.
I've done 3 clears with Gilgamesh and this is the first I'm learning about this. People were talking about the extra dashes and I thought my brain might be broke.
It's still hard for me to get used to, but it can be nicely explodey depending on your boon.

BrianWilly posted:

Gee it's been a while since I tried to fight Charon maybe for some magical reason this time he'll just kill me less somehow :buddy:
That's what I thought the last time I grabbed that bag and I'm thinking I'm not going to try again for a long while. I wish his attributes could be heat-proof or something, because as I continue to add extra nuisance it makes it less and less likely that I defeat him again.

Sedgr posted:

And lastly I really think things would be better off with an actual dialogue UI rather than they way it works now. Being able to choose what dialogue you have next with a character would be a massive improvement over the current, come back later, maybe they'll talk about the thing you want, way it is currently. Even if a bunch of the conversations continued to cost nectar or whatever I'd much rather spend X nectar to move forward on Y conversations than the weird priority system it works on now.
I'm a little past the epilogue with 85 hours played / 93 escape attempts and I just triggered Achilles and Hypnos around the same time. They were my last house ones (still gotta wrap up Artemis and Demeter) and though they took a long time relative to, say, Dusa, it didn't feel excessive to me. But it seems like people can definitely be hit with bad luck.

The only big bummers I've had with the story system are a couple runs when there were only one or two people to talk to instead of five or six.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So forced overtime 1 just turns off I-frames for dodges. Or I just have bad controller drift. Or brain damage.
I've been trying to run with FO1 because of the person in this thread who claimed you can get used to it, and my three loss streak says that really isn't happening yet. 50+ clears without it but the only time I've won with FO1 is when I ran with only that for the prophecy.

Sometimes it's the Minotaur, sometimes it's Hades, sometimes it's bad luck. Benefits Package + Forced Overtime + Chaos boon adding 75% more enemies = a bullet hell room full of armored hasty wretched witches taking two of my DDs in chamber 4.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just had a most frustrating run.

I'm using Chiron Bow, start off with hammer, so I pick "+3 damage for each consecutive hit." Then I get Artemis on Special. This part is good. With those two in hand I go for an early Charon fight. I do it while losing one Death's Defiance in the process.

Then I proceeded to never get offered any healing items because it kept asking me to replenish Death's Defiance. Which I didn't want to do because I felt lucky and was gonna get my pal Pat (spoiler: I did). So it was just room after room of checking shop and Charon and to get no healing items, no enemy drops healing items, no fries, just DEATH'S DEFIANCE REPLENISH. Which I couldn't have bought until like Elysium anyway, where I...wouldn't.

Then I get a 5 room Styx. Which went fine and was pretty easy except I got to Styx at just under 10 minutes, so I was hoping to maybe get 12-14 minutes maybe. If I got lucky with a 2 or 3 roomer. Nope.

Reach Hades at just under 15 minutes. Okay, well won't be a new record for bow but it will be close at least. Nope! Because Darkness. Darkness. Darkness. Darkness. Darkness. Darkness. HRNGGGGGGGGHHHHH. Darkness. Darkness. Darkness.

Anyway I had an 18 minute run how's it going guys.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Gilgamesh extra dashes are also a good indicator that you should use the +attack dodge buff instead of another dodge

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As seems to be the case with every single run I have had for the last 2 weeks, got hades down to under 20% in the second phase and died. :sigh: I swear this game laser engineered itself to make it so I could die in the last few seconds every time after the first time I finished it.

But it was the first time I've actually had anything resembling a good run with the sword. And it started out terrible. That hammer mod that sacks your total health for +2 health gain is very good, although I got it way late, and I think it gets a bit outclassed by the end. I think it's too easy to get wrapped up thinking a run is bad if you end up using death defiance early. Like, if I lose one on the hydra or even before the Theseus I'm mentally like "well this run is a bust" but really, I have gone into hades with no death defiance and a massive DPS build, as well as the exact opposite where I have all 4 DD and ended up in the exact same spot.

Also using Skellys trinket on the Hades fight all of the time is probably a crutch. I should try more poo poo out.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

Also using Skellys trinket on the Hades fight all of the time is probably a crutch. I should try more poo poo out.

I'm up to 32 clears now and I've only recently been at the point where I'm comfortable not taking Skelly's tooth as the trinket for Hades. If it's getting you clears there's no shame in continuing to take it while you keep improving.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If it's the Hades fight in particular you're worried about the Acorn probably gives you more effective health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

with the exception of chiron, which is the best aspect

You don't even need Chiron, you can just shoot your special at short range. I honestly think the bow might be the best weapon.