Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Achmed Jones posted:

Just bought season 4, which means we now own all the Frasiers.

Insert .gif of Patrick Stewart saying "I've seen everything, yeah. I've seen it all".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Crossposting some Frasier content I coerced an AI into writing for me

Pretty good posted:

I had to occasionally steer this one to get it to stop spitting out actual episode titles but it got there in the end.

A list of the 10 worst episodes of Frasier of all time

10. A Very Special Christmas (Season 3)

Niles's mental instability is not the only thing going wrong on this show. This season also features some of the most cringe worthy scenes in the entire franchise. That includes this very special Christmas episode. All the characters meet up in a bar for a game of Truth or Dare. In keeping with the scene, they all choose to tell out their most precious secrets to one another. We're talking dark secrets, here. Martin accidentally shot a man in Vietnam. Daphne is seeing another man in secret. Niles once paid a woman to have an abortion. Frasier once groped a woman on the street. And nothing quite prepares you for this episode's big reveal however. It turns out Daphne and Niles had a brief sexual relationship at one time. The first bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993 brought an end to their relationship, though they can't quite agree on why.

9. Alone Time (Season 2)

The apartments are filling up with crazy people. Frasier invites Kenny, a lonely divorcee with anger issues and his own set of troubles after a violent divorce. Meanwhile, Niles is housing a woman called Vicky, who has recently been released from a mental institution where she was being held on suspicion of multiple murders. It was pretty exciting stuff at the time, but it hasn't exactly stood the test of time, with its hackneyed scripting and laughable "twists."

8. Hello, I Must Be Going (Season 5)

Niles hosts a dinner party for the gang and his guest is an old flame of Frasier's named Kate. This was supposed to be a big romance, but the sparks just didn't fly. Nowadays she's a bit of a troubled soul who has just been released from a mental institution after swallowing a handful of pills. It's up to Niles to get her back on the straight and narrow, but how can he do that when she's so into him? This one really is a mixed bag. There are some very funny scenes and it's always great to see Kate again, but some of the jokes fall flat, especially with this character.

7. A Passing Storm (Season 8)

Man, talk about a downer. This one really takes the cake for being the darkest and most depressing instalment in the entire series. In fact, it's almost not a Frasier episode at all. It begins with Niles visiting a local coffee house, where he meets a young woman who is obviously very interested in him. He soon learns that she is studying to be a doctor and that they have a lot in common with each other. Their relationship immediately becomes serious very quickly. It soon becomes apparent, however, that Niles's new girlfriend has a bit of a drinking problem. She ends up insulting Daphne and Martin during their first meeting, causing a huge fight between the couple. Soon after, she gets into a terrible car accident while under the influence of alcohol. She is taken to hospital and undergoes surgery to save her life, but while she is unconscious she slips into a coma. Niles sits by her bedside for days, unsure of whether or not to pull the plug. He never gets the chance to make that decision. On the same day of her surgery, his father suffers a fatal heart attack in his apartment. Niles rushes back to Seattle, where he must come to grips with the fact that his father is dead.

6. False Modesty (Season 5)

This one is just silly. The premise is that station director, Arthur Tolby, is retiring and all of the producers are arguing about who should take his place. Frasier wins out in the end, but he decides to go down a different path. He's tired of being tied to a chair and wants to be out there in the field, meeting people and making friends. It's a big change for him, but he soon gets used to it. The problem is that he starts to become too much of a people person. He starts to neglect his own family, and soon even hires Roz away from the station to work for him! It's a silly concept that really should have been an episode of The Nanny.

5. Journey to the Center of the Mind (Season 3)

This one is all about Frasier's dream sequence in which he is visited by the ghosts of his past, present and future. His dad shows up to tell him that his mother is dying and that he needs to see her before it's too late. Next Daphne appears in her wedding dress. She tells him that she is getting married and that he is ruining his life by not being there. Finally, Niles turns up in a futuristic space suit. He says that he has become obsessed with the Moon and has made several attempts to fly out into space to reach it. In each case, his lack of oxygen has left him brain-damaged. Now he lives with his mother and is obsessed with the moon to the extent that he's become a permanent child. Determined to put an end to this cycle of sadness, Frasier takes matters into his own hands... This is one of the most surreal and bizarre episodes in the whole series.

4. Roz's Krantzberg Syndrome (Season 7)

Roz has been working as a producer on Frasier's show for years, but her career hasn't really gone anywhere. She's still working as Frasier's assistant, and it seems that this is just how it's always going to be. Finally, fed up with her lot in life, she decides to undergo a radical medical procedure that will drastically change her life. The operation is successful, but unfortunately the side effects are much worse than she could have ever imagined. The operation has made her incredibly smart, but it has also left her with a very low IQ. Her new mental abilities overwhelm her, and she has to be institutionalized as a result. She escapes soon after and ends up taking Frasier and Niles hostage in their own apartment. Finally, in a final stand off with the police, she is shot and killed.

3. Breaking Legs (Season 8)

Martin purchases a new recliner, but soon after he receives it he discovers that someone has broken into his house and stolen it. This wouldn't be such a big deal, but the recliner in question belonged to a notorious mobster named Salvatore Valestra, and he is less than pleased that it has gone missing. He sends one of his thugs, Enzo, to ask Martin where it is. Martin claims that he doesn't know, but Enzo doesn't believe him and threatens to break both his legs if he doesn't come up with an answer. Martin still refuses to talk, so Enzo breaks one of his legs anyway. While Martin is recovering in hospital, he develops a relationship with his nurse, Kate. She falls in love with him and they begin dating. However, things don't end well for Martin: after escaping from the hospital, Enzo comes back to kill him...

2. There Is No Cabal (Season 6)

This one is really weird. The whole episode revolves around a caller to Frasier's radio show, who seems to know an awful lot about his own private life. He suspects that his long-time agent, Bebe, has been leaking stories about him to the press. At the same time, he becomes paranoid that his fellow members of the Cabal Theater are planning to vote him out. He is invited to a meeting in their private room in which he believes he will be voted out, but actually ends up witnessing the shooting of a rival theater group instead. The whole episode revolves around the mystery of who the caller is. Is it Bebe? Is it one of his fellow members of the Cabal Theater? Or is it someone else entirely?

1. Dark Cupid (Season 2)

In this one, Frasier meets a woman called Claire at a New Year's Party. They get along well and agree to meet again the following night. When he sees her again, she has a few more friends with her: they're all part of the "Dark Cupid", a secret society dedicated to meeting people and then tormenting them with sadistic games. They make things very difficult for Frasier. They make him think that his car has been stolen, they take a photo of him in the toilets of a bar and send it to his newspaper, they convince him that he is being stalked by a man with a gun, and finally they convince him that he has accidentally killed someone in a hit-and-run accident. By the time these games are over, Frasier has had more than enough of secret societies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still say we need Frasier meets Batman.

...Brave and the Bold Batman.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Six Things Millennials Have in Common with Dr. Frasier Crane (No. 5 Will Drive You Into a Deep Depression)

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Grammer was only 38 when Frasier haired huh.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Grammer was only 38 when Frasier haired huh.

I'm learning not to do the math on these things as time goes forward

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Was "haired" purposeful, as in Frasier's incredible season 1 hair coming onto the scene?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

My last haircut, in february, was a mohawk. My hair is getting very season one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Have a fun little article from 23 years ago where, on the eve of the airing of Frasier's 100th episode, Gram-Grams reflects on what the show is all about :

https://www.deseret.com/1997/11/11/19345073/frasier-a-show-about-hair

Spoiler alert: he says it's all about the hair. The article is very boring only interesting for severe Frasier fans.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There were 264 episodes of Frasier. 264!! I think at least 200 are still eminently watchable.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There were 264 episodes of Frasier. 264!! I think at least 200 are still eminently watchable.

Oh I'd say it's more than that. In my opinion there's only a few episodes that are truly bad.

1. Original Dr. Mary episode
2. The other Dr. Lady he didn't like episode (think this was in the early seasons too)
3. The Halloween prank episode featuring Daphne's mom
4. The other Halloween prank episode where he tries to trick Bulldog
5. The Greeks one
6. The dream episode (probably my absolute least favorite)*

*not the Gil one, the one where they're all stylized and lovely

I'd be hard pressed to think of any worse than those. The one with Roz's cousin fell in love with Kenny was pretty bad too, I guess.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 14, 2020

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

That Dr. Mary episode is so hard to sit through. Similarly, it's hard to watch that episode where Frasier tries to befriend the fellow in the wheelchair. Those episodes would be so short if Frasier wasn't the worst kind of liberal.

I don't like that episode where Roz goes totally out of character and freaks the poo poo out at Frasier about dating that lady. I hate when TV shows make female characters act like total dipshit lunatics to force some plot.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Kirby wasn't a bad character but I never liked any episode with him in it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Kirby wasn't a bad character but I never liked any episode with him in it

the only good kirby episode is the one where frasier keeps getting owned by the young republicans or whoever they are until he just starts stooping to their level with kirby's help

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Skratte posted:

Similarly, it's hard to watch that episode where Frasier tries to befriend the fellow in the wheelchair. Those episodes would be so short

Ha!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I like the episode where Frasier holds a therapy session with Kirby and King Dedede .

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

"Look at this, Niles! It's an original 'King Dedede Drooling While Eating' on porcelain!"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Drunken Duncans?!

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I'm catching up on the thread, time travelling from ~ page 100 with a message: "I'm watching The Show Where Lilith Comes Back and good God she is hot. Oof"

This concludes this message from the past

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm snowed in in a cabin, moderately hung over and I only have season boxes of Frasier to keep me company. This is bliss.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You can always hang out with a hallucinations of your mother and past relationships.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

barbecue at the folks posted:

I'm snowed in in a cabin, moderately hung over and I only have season boxes of Frasier to keep me company. This is bliss.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

barbecue at the folks posted:

How do you like your ruhm?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I tried to do a personal top 5 but it's impossible to narrow it down that far. So instead, here are the first five favorites that I thought of:

The Ski Lodge
The Innkeepers
The Two Mrs. Cranes
Dinner Party
Ham Radio

(there are about 20 more vying for a spot in the top 5)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm sorry, even the Simpsons which I can recite, well, about as good as any goon on here I suppose, I dont know the episode names of most. But what about when Frasier moves in next to Niles' practice?

Progject
Apr 23, 2006

The wacky episodes where they're all trying to do something sneaky behind eachother's back and it's crazily well choreographed are so out of place and hilarious

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ooooo! I love doing top fives!

The Innkeepers
Ham Radio
The Two Mrs. Cranes
Ski Lodge
Author, Author

Special honors:

Favorite Freddie episode:
Cranes Unplugged (we leave at daybreak!)

Favorite Late Series Daphne heavy episode:
Daphne Does Dinner

Favorite Holiday episode:
(tie) A Lilith Thanksgiving or Miracle on Third or Fourth Street or Perspectives on Christmas

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I can’t remember the name of it but I like the one that ends with Frasier and Niles on an illegal fishing boat shoving fistfuls of cavier in their mouths.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Progject posted:

The wacky episodes where they're all trying to do something sneaky behind eachother's back and it's crazily well choreographed are so out of place and hilarious

Those eps are legit some of the best modern examples of writing a farce to use, the bits when both parties' schemes are going off and they're just dancing around each other without realizing it are always delightful.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcwstgNMbOA

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not a favourite episode or anything, but I love when Niles and Roz are genuinely friendly and open. Don't get me wrong, exchanging sarcastic barbs is super funny, but I've always got a soft spot for that scene where Roz is helping Niles cut down his wedding vows. Not even a ton of jokes there, just really sweet to see them get along.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RatHat posted:

I can’t remember the name of it but I like the one that ends with Frasier and Niles on an illegal fishing boat shoving fistfuls of cavier in their mouths.

Isn't that basically Scarface with caviar

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Progject posted:

I too think dramatic irony is hilarious, and I don't care who knows it!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Favorite Holiday episode:
(tie) A Lilith Thanksgiving or Miracle on Third or Fourth Street or Perspectives on Christmas
Merry Christmas Mrs. Moskowitz

codo27 posted:

I'm sorry, even the Simpsons which I can recite, well, about as good as any goon on here I suppose, I dont know the episode names of most. But what about when Frasier moves in next to Niles' practice?
I only know the titles from this http://www.kacl780.net/frasier/transcripts/ and truth be told... I still haven't seen every episode!

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 21, 2020

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Martytoof posted:

Not a favourite episode or anything, but I love when Niles and Roz are genuinely friendly and open. Don't get me wrong, exchanging sarcastic barbs is super funny, but I've always got a soft spot for that scene where Roz is helping Niles cut down his wedding vows. Not even a ton of jokes there, just really sweet to see them get along.

always wanted them to actually get together instead of niles/daphne.

roz's common sense and caustic personality would perfect balance out niles's intelligence and cloudcuckoolander poo poo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They had that kiss where they went back in for seconds. I think they would have been a way better couple as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Everyone kisses better than Maris!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you're a serious Frasier watcher and not a casual the best episode is "My Coffee With Niles"

Then you watch Dinner Party as a sequel

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Staring out a train window chanting "frasier cranes humongous rear end contest" under my breath for like half an hour

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

be wary of what you may summon, pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Is it time to say the Frasier poo poo we repeat under our breaths????

Flesh is burning duhnuhnuh nuhnuh nuh