Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

Raise fewer levies.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Defensive wars in general are just kind of bad right now

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

How fast have the patches come out so far?

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

THE BAR posted:

How fast have the patches come out so far?

lol

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
There's been one, and it took a long rear end time to come out, but it also covered a ton of things. Before it came out, I thought "what is taking so long" and after it came out, I thought "wow, they did all that so quickly?"

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think there was one small patch a few days after it came out and then a big one about 5 weeks after release.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Veryslightlymad posted:

There's been one, and it took a long rear end time to come out, but it also covered a ton of things. Before it came out, I thought "what is taking so long" and after it came out, I thought "wow, they did all that so quickly?"

Coming from Starfarer, this is blazingly fast.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Synnr posted:

So how exactly do you get a city holding vassal to fall into "valid government"? I'm not sure how it worked when I made it flip over to working correctly, and in a new game it's just a bunch of "wrong govt, no money for you"

It was in a zoroastrian game and this is a muslim one so maybe it's a liege kingdom rules thing, but I don't really understand. I assumed one unlanded person granted the city would just turn to a grand city or whatever but... Nope?

I had this same issue, also in a zoroastrian game. Weirdly it even applied to my starting city, which was clan while I was feudal. At some point it flipped to feudal, but all my other cities are still clan and therefore not giving any money :iiam:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Veryslightlymad posted:

what was in the last patch? the only thing i've noticed is a button to split off special troops

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Gato posted:

I had this same issue, also in a zoroastrian game. Weirdly it even applied to my starting city, which was clan while I was feudal. At some point it flipped to feudal, but all my other cities are still clan and therefore not giving any money :iiam:

Maybe revoking it and granting it to a non-muslim lowborn works? Or converting the county?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Communist Thoughts posted:

what was in the last patch? the only thing i've noticed is a button to split off special troops

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-42-1-1-patch-notes.1428193/

It takes quite some time just to scroll through it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I just lost Ireland in 1100s because I was basically outnumbered and had no way to win the war and demoted to a OPM. I played a little bit to murder vassals and make Ireland as useless as possible and then restarted.

There is a but of the Paradox Mid-game issue here that the mid game just feels like a slog.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Any war where you're relying on allies to help you is a huge risk because allies tend to either A.) run around aimlessly and avoid any/all combat and refuse to join up with your battles, B.) Sacrifice themselves into armies much much much better than themselves, or C.) just stack up onto your sieging army which causes you to run out of supply with your sieging army and still leaves your battle army to fend for themselves.

It's especially egregious in crusades as you have a 40,000 doomstack coming at your army of 10k, but you're surrounded by 60k more in papal allies, but those 60k troops either just kind of aimlessly run around the map nowhere near the enemy or they stack up on sieges or some combination thereof. You can never rely on them to help you in battles, at best you have to kind of shadow your allies and jump in when they get into a battle that you can help with. The problem is it's hard to get warscore when the allies are running around in Byzantium instead of Syria, or maybe just wandering back and forth endlessly in two counties somewhere near the ocean, occasionally embarking and immediately disembarking (which was supposed to be fixed, and largely was except for giant crusading armies)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have found that aggressively hunting down and stack wiping enemy armies is useful to quickly capture all the relevant lords and heirs. If you manage to capture the instigator of the war, it is auto 100% warscore. If you manage to get their heir, it is an automatic 50%. I always grab my MaA stack, wipe out their main armies while I send a levy + a couple of siege MaA units to start bringing down the instigator's realm capital. This way, if they are leading armies, they inevitably get killed or captured, and if they aren't leading armies, they will be sitting at the capital and you will capture him when you siege him out.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Gato posted:

I murdered the holder and tried again with a reload until it clicked. It was like 50/50 working correctly after that, but my other city in that county always worked. Just bizarre!

Mister Olympus posted:

Maybe revoking it and granting it to a non-muslim lowborn works? Or converting the county?

It was always my religion when, even with my rear end in a top hat liege trying to convert my duchy. But as above, murdering and generating (or is the button locating instead of generating?) Another low noble worked like half the time.

It's very frustrating, especially since it's just not consistent afaict. My income tripled once I got it running correctly, but I'm assuming it'll randomly flip like it did before and stop.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Tried a game as Armenia to slow/stem the tide of Byzantine aggression, but then it turns out they just invade Egypt and North Africa and the Russian steppe :smith: Might have to sit this patch out, no real dynamic changes is kinda frustrating

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

so i've managed to reform asatru as the swedish starting character and form scandinavia. it's ~950 AD, what other interesting stuff can i do? do i just wait around to get all my tribal ideas so i can adopt feudal? confederate partition keeps loving up my domain so i want to go for primogeniture

e: world map

gently caress this gardariki dude, hes responsible for 90% of the border gore in europe

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 19, 2020

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

A God drat Ghost posted:

Is there a way to make defending a crusade more fun or interesting, or just over faster? The pope keeps calling crusades on me and I'm able to easily crush the enemy in battles, but it takes so long to route armies and the enemy is extremely disorganized. It's extremely unfun to be defending for 8 years. Last time he did this I had to march an army down to Rome to take out the papacy directly and now it's happening again and ugggh.

In the game I was playing before the patch I used to get my siege units and some trash to Rome before the crusade starts. If every holding has some of your troops in it the pope can't raise his troops and the AI didn't seem to care about recapturing the papacy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What does everyone want for an upcoming DLC? I just broke 100 hours and it’s been one of the better paradox releases in recent memory for me. I wouldn’t mind if they introduced more role playing/storytelling, because all the events right now are very stale. I’d also like to see more expansion on religion; so I can more enjoyably spread my cannibalistic communist nudists all the way to the stuffy nobles in Paris.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Synnr posted:

It's very frustrating, especially since it's just not consistent afaict. My income tripled once I got it running correctly, but I'm assuming it'll randomly flip like it did before and stop.

Having no control over whether you or your vassals are clan or feudal and no clear rules about how that's determined is the most frustrating thing about playing anywhere near Persia for me.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

muslim = clan
everyone else = feudal

create a title and give it to a muslim = clan
' ' ' ' ' ' anyone else = feudal

and then im pretty sure it switches on succession and/or new title creation. thats how you get sicilian ash'ari clan dukes and kings of sicily but can still have muladi counts of corsica

strong bird fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 19, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

buglord posted:

What does everyone want for an upcoming DLC? I just broke 100 hours and it’s been one of the better paradox releases in recent memory for me. I wouldn’t mind if they introduced more role playing/storytelling, because all the events right now are very stale. I’d also like to see more expansion on religion; so I can more enjoyably spread my cannibalistic communist nudists all the way to the stuffy nobles in Paris.

There are lots of things but I feel like the biggest eyesore in the game right now is that the Byzantine Empire is right there in the middle of the map and it's just a big feudal blob with Primogeniture. So I personally want the first DLC to focus on Imperial and Republican governments. I feel like this is a good combo to deal with as both could use some sort of system for "estates" or power bases that exist not on the map but in cities and the like. Hopefully they could also find some creative ways to implement interesting ways to represent internal power struggles, which could apply to any form of government.

Edit: So to compare to CK2 DLCs, something of a cross between "The Republic" and "Legacy of Rome".

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 19, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

in CK2 terms i want a "The Republic", "The Sword of Islam"/"Sons of Abraham" and "Conclave" style dlcs

also the Charlemagne start date (not necessarily the events - just the state of the world in 769)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Looking at that map, I am reminded that I am always weirded out by the skinny narrow Frankish successor kingdoms, it doesn't make sense in terms of power projection!

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

strong bird posted:

muslim = clan
everyone else = feudal

create a title and give it to a muslim = clan
' ' ' ' ' ' anyone else = feudal

and then im pretty sure it switches on succession and/or new title creation. thats how you get sicilian ash'ari clan dukes and kings of sicily but can still have muladi counts of corsica

No, those are only the rules if you're handing out titles. There are some Hindu and Buddhist clan rulers around Bactria in 867, revolts against clan rulers will create clan governments even if the separatists are Christian, and some other weird poo poo happens when you mix feudal and clan governments under the same liege. If it's supposed to change on succession, it's not reliably triggering.

In my current game, I've also got a tribal Khazaria with clan vassal castle-holders, all Jewish.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 19, 2020

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think I ruined my Russia 867 game by having too many children. I thought I had given at least everyone a title but by the time my emperor died his heir only had 2 holdings left, the capital and his previous owned county.
Under Gavelkind / Partition, should I just give out a lot of titles to my heir to avoid this or cull the amount of children in general? I'm always too worried if I only have 1-2 heirs that they get murdered.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Blimpkin posted:

I'm not sure why my Just, Calm, and Gregarious 22 year old King hated this particular 8 year old so much, but apparently he's dancing on her grave.

Rivalry is kinda weird in CK3 because someone can unilaterally rival you without you knowing it or ever getting a message about it (raiding as a norse makes this happen every so often), and the game will still treat it like you've hated the person in question for a long time when they die. It's not uncommon for me to find out I have a rival somewhere on the other side of the map when checking my relations tab for something else.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 19, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

buglord posted:

More events, especially more event chains (I really miss the various ones from CK2 : Robin Hood, Jeanne d'Arc, devil spawn, gates of hell etc)

More stuff to do in peacetime: decisions, plots (I don't like that you only have seduce/sway/murder unless you invest in perks), societies?, artifacts?, new council mechanics/councilor actions?

More ways for blobs to break, especially HRE and Byz but goes for any tag that gets big

I have played 2 games to almost-completion and I'm honestly already tired of the generic "feast/hunt" events; it feels like my ruler constantly goes through the same steps - get cucked by some random seducer, discover that some of your kids aren't really your kids, feast and hunt your way to the grave (which usually comes late since I like taking the Whole of Body tree and any health bonuses I can stack). The only difference between rulers is mostly the perk trees you take, but I find myself choosing the same ones time after time... mostly because I love plotting and I have to take Befriend or Fabricate Hook/Abduct just to activate the possibility to use the plots

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think war in general is in a bad state and since war is the counter to that, it is an issue. Also as people have already posted, the eugenics game is way too easy and way too certain now. And alongside that, it does seem that almost every ruler will eventually live into their 70s or 80s. I almost always have a constant line of 40~ year olds succeeding their ancient parents who then go on to be ancient themselves. You seem to live way longer, even without whole of body.

As well I agree that there are just too many really good one point wonders, bellum justum, the scheme ones, etc. I don't know how to change it because those things ARE good and helpful to have. At least for the scheme ones I'd rather they all be available, but the perk either makes them more effective or for say befriend, makes it quicker, if everyone is doing it already.

Also personally I really dislike how development is handled and the whole cultural innovations/tech system, it just feels too powerful and I enjoyed how gradual the gain in power from CK2's tech system was.

I don't know, if it wasn't for the great 3d pictures which do a LOT and the focus trees in general, I'd rather just play ck2 right now.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 19, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

buglord posted:

What does everyone want for an upcoming DLC?

Either merchant republics, or societies. Preferably societies that don't make you overpowered, like the Hermetics did, but give you lots of events.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eimi posted:

As well I agree that there are just too many really good one point wonders, bellum justum, the scheme ones, etc. I don't know how to change it because those things ARE good and helpful to have. At least for the scheme ones I'd rather they all be available, but the perk either makes them more effective or for say befriend, makes it quicker, if everyone is doing it already.

This is a good idea - say you have all plots unlocked with all characters but Befriend only gives +20 opinion while the perk makes it +60; or Fabricate hook only works on lower rank rulers, but with the perk you can use it on same/higher-rank rulers. Otherwise it feels to me that I have to spend 5 years in a diplomatic lifestyle just to get Befriend even if I'd rather have another tree or focus...

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

VostokProgram posted:

so i've managed to reform asatru as the swedish starting character and form scandinavia. it's ~950 AD, what other interesting stuff can i do? do i just wait around to get all my tribal ideas so i can adopt feudal? confederate partition keeps loving up my domain so i want to go for primogeniture

e: world map

gently caress this gardariki dude, hes responsible for 90% of the border gore in europe

If you're playing Ironman you can try to conquer Britannia for an achievement.

If you stay tribal then chances are high that your vassals will do most of the legwork.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

TorakFade posted:

More events, especially more event chains (I really miss the various ones from CK2 : Robin Hood, Jeanne d'Arc, devil spawn, gates of hell etc)

The thing is wasn't those just one off funny things? CK2 was full of events like that. To compare it to RPG, those are quests with a couple of possible solutions but with no larger effect on the world or the character.

At first I thought I wouldn't like the fact that they're dropping most of the random events. As in most of the events now are coming from your lifestyle focuses or your councilors or schemes - some are even just glorified event notifications (you discover a secret, your friend or rival die etc). I'm all for more *generic* events, as in more plots, various events around schemes and councilor jobs. More titles in addition to a doctor and events connected to that. Especially religion/culture/technology dependent. Religious tenets adding new court titles would be great. Or technology adding new ways to get rid of people like gunpowder explosion.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

TorakFade posted:

This is a good idea - say you have all plots unlocked with all characters but Befriend only gives +20 opinion while the perk makes it +60; or Fabricate hook only works on lower rank rulers, but with the perk you can use it on same/higher-rank rulers. Otherwise it feels to me that I have to spend 5 years in a diplomatic lifestyle just to get Befriend even if I'd rather have another tree or focus...

There are plenty of ways of getting some XP outside of your chosen lifestyle. Perhaps they can balance it somehow. Like for example, any adult would get some starting XP in his education but also some in other lifestyle depending on the environment.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I just want a court dwarf again, finding a suitable dwarf was always a fun minigame.

In CKIII half the time the pope is a dwarf...

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Eimi posted:

And alongside that, it does seem that almost every ruler will eventually live into their 70s or 80s. I almost always have a constant line of 40~ year olds succeeding their ancient parents who then go on to be ancient themselves. You seem to live way longer, even without whole of body.

Yeah, it really sucks when you live to 70, and then you die, and succeed as someone in their 50s. Meaning you could suffer another quick succession and split of the realm (even if your titles are intact, the opinions and factions are not).

Minor titles need a boost - Court Physician really needs to notify you when the old one leaves/dies (the "notify when this becomes available" doesn't specifically do that, it will trigger 12 months after you've last used it, even if you still have a physician). Really poo poo to find out they died 3 years ago when you get smallpox or something.

I only played a bit of CK2, but I would love to have Jesters etc.

Would love more events during downtime but holy poo poo is it annoying to have 4 different events pop up mid-war when you're trying to siege a place down or chase down a troop stack that has slightly higher movement speed than you.

And would love less infidelity events, I don't really care about it, especially when it's my dynasty because I'd rather have them spread throughout the land. Shame they capped the renown gain, I have 1100 living members at the moment.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

PancakeTransmission posted:

but holy poo poo is it annoying to have 4 different events pop up mid-war when you're trying to siege a place down or chase down a troop stack that has slightly higher movement speed than you.

would love a mod that just goes through a bunch of events and tags them to not fire while the player is at war.

I'd also like a mod that changes event chains to just fire directly one after the other rather than wait for like 2-3 days between events. Currently the delay is not long enough to get involved in something else, but just long enough to be annoying.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just go hunting when you can, occasionally you get the event that lets you kill your heir for free, and if your heir has an heir of his own, it lets you skip a generation.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah, it really sucks when you live to 70, and then you die, and succeed as someone in their 50s. Meaning you could suffer another quick succession and split of the realm (even if your titles are intact, the opinions and factions are not).

Bohemia has single heir seniority succession in 1066 and it looks great till you realize that you basically rule 80's USSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fuf posted:

would love a mod that just goes through a bunch of events and tags them to not fire while the player is at war.

I'd also like a mod that changes event chains to just fire directly one after the other rather than wait for like 2-3 days between events. Currently the delay is not long enough to get involved in something else, but just long enough to be annoying.

I feel like the second thing here is something paradox should change in the base game. It's rather ridiculous that they expect you play for a few days at a time while an event chain is going. If it's the kind of event chain that triggers events in quick succession, just give us immediate results of each event choice. The way it is now is just tedious. It's similar to my other complaint about having to wait for a few days on a lot of diplomatic stuff like ransom requests or marriage proposals. Is there any purpose to those 3 to 5 day wait times?