Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Haha, so fun fact, I know Atlas personally/professionally. He's one of the most obnoxious people I've ever worked with, and incredibly thick-headed. I rang him up once to tell him that some numbering was off in his paper I was reviewing, and none of the images matched up. It would have taken 5 minutes to tell me which photos went with which captions so that I could fix it, but instead he took 15 minutes to yell at me about how I just didn't understand his work and he'd already corrected it and he couldn't believe I was wasting his time. He finished with "I don't know why you're refusing to understand me!" before hanging up.

He also likes to play colleagues off of each other to get what he wants. On my project, I was the "bad guy" and my coworker was the "good guy" and it got cartoonishly out of hand. He rejected everything I did, so my coworker and I agreed that it was just easier to pretend she was doing everything. I'd send my part over to her and she'd send it to him, and he'd send back these emails complimenting her work and calling her the most amazing person he'd ever worked with. It really weirded us both out.

I could go on and on with stories. The project lasted for 2 years, and was easily the worst experience I've had with academia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

hooman posted:

I never said I bought a human SKULL

The only way out of that might be

"I never said I bought a human skull."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I never said I bought *A* human skull

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
You wouldn’t DOWNLOAD a SKULL

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Double post but this song actually clears up matters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmFZqbh7TaU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Garrand posted:

They're literally not saying they aren't buying a human skull. They're saying that they are not buying a skull from India nor are they buying any skulls without going through the proper legal channels and paperwork.
If I'm reading it right they made a post about the illegal skull trade in India and some guy thought they were talking about buying an illegal indian skull for themselves, and I genuinely can't tell if their failure to say "I'm not buying a skull" without caveats is just lovely communication or because they're ethically purchased skulls georg

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

teen witch posted:

You wouldn’t DOWNLOAD a SKULL
Thousands of 90s geocities users would disagree

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Splicer posted:

If I'm reading it right they made a post about the illegal skull trade in India and some guy thought they were talking about buying an illegal indian skull for themselves, and I genuinely can't tell if their failure to say "I'm not buying a skull" without caveats is just lovely communication or because they're ethically purchased skulls georg

It sounds like they want to get a donated skull at some point, with clear documentation that it was one. But the other person latched on to the idea of illegal skulls from India and is insisting that absolutely everything is about those. Even with the original post being a warning against that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
In my mind, it's just an extremely pedantic fellow who refuses to claim they do not possess any human skulls, as they do, in fact, possess as many skulls as your average person.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

In my mind, it's just an extremely pedantic fellow who refuses to claim they do not possess any human skulls, as they do, in fact, possess as many skulls as your average person.

The average person possesses slightly more than one skull though, because we all have one each, but then people like our possibly illegal indian skull purchasing friend have extras.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SiKboy posted:

The average person possesses slightly more than one skull though, because we all have one each, but then people like our possibly illegal indian skull purchasing friend have extras.
what about people who have been trepanned, they have like 0.95 skulls and I bet that's driving the average down a lot more than the guy on twitter who may or may not have an extra

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SiKboy posted:

drat you Skulls Georg.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DACK FAYDEN posted:

what about people who have been trepanned, they have like 0.95 skulls and I bet that's driving the average down a lot more than the guy on twitter who may or may not have an extra

You'd need 20 trapanees to counterweight just one person who had a single extra skull (which, as I'm sure you are aware, would make them a mere dilettante in the world of serious skull collectors. Skull collecting is like K-pop, in that no one gets a little bit into it).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SiKboy posted:

I know I meant to type “median,” but also I very clearly did not. I am a bad pedant.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'd rule that a skull that has been trepanned still counts as one skull, just a skull made of a little less skull than normal.

Ordinal skulls.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Would they not give you the bits in a jar to take home with you like they do with kidney stones?

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

SiKboy posted:

Upskulling is a good way to get ahead in life

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

OwlFancier posted:

You already have a skull why do you need another one, are you some kind of skull capitalist?

Look, this throne isn't going to build itself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

drat you Skulls Georg.

Skulls Georg is the caretaker of Sedlec ossuary.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Skulls Georg and pregnant people, of course

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

What game is this from? Looks like Final Fantasy Tactics but I don't recognize that scene.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Joey Freshwater posted:

What game is this from? Looks like Final Fantasy Tactics but I don't recognize that scene.

Close! It's FF Tactics Advance.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

My guess would be Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the GBA

e: what i get for not refreshing

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"Hey are you guys talking skulls in here?"
/

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Splicer posted:

Thousands of 90s geocities users would disagree

In my kingdom skulls are legal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well since this guy technically increases the average to ~1.000001, it's probably more useful to talk about median skull ownership.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fister Roboto posted:

Well since this guy technically increases the average to ~1.000001, it's probably more useful to talk about median skull ownership.
Modal also acceptable

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

At the very least skulls make the most sense as a collectable human remain. Don’t get me started on those weird fucks collecting femurs or *shudders* toe bones.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thump! posted:

At the very least skulls make the most sense as a collectable human remain. Don’t get me started on those weird fucks collecting femurs or *shudders* toe bones.
Toe bones >> skulls for necklaces, unless you're as big as Kali.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I’m only interested in mean skull data. Get your kindly and mischievous skulls outta here, mean skulls only!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Toe bones >> skulls for necklaces, unless you're as big as Kali.

If someone's wearing a necklace of 28 toe bones, they could all be from the same person. The guy wearing a necklace of 28 skulls is letting you know exactly how many people he's killed. That is why skulls are better.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

If someone's wearing a necklace of 28 toe bones, they could all be from the same person. The guy wearing a necklace of 28 skulls is letting you know exactly how many people he's killed. That is why skulls are better.

That would be an extremely unwieldy necklace. You can’t possibly be an effective warrior if you’re constantly using one hand to push skulls out of your field of vision.

Edit: I guess, rather than a warrior, you could be a serial killer. Still, —stealth.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh you naive fool. The necklace is also the weapon.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

That would be an extremely unwieldy necklace. You can’t possibly be an effective warrior if you’re constantly using one hand to push skulls out of your field of vision.
:wrong:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Sunswipe posted:

Oh you naive fool. The necklace is also the weapon.

I found Karsa Orlongs account

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have that many arms do you really need to steal other people's and glue them to your belt?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

OwlFancier posted:

If you have that many arms do you really need to steal other people's and glue them to your belt?
Have you ever tried to sew your own arms to a belt it just doesn't work out well

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Darn, I’m going to have to serious post to defend my skills. British food being bad is french propaganda that originated in the pre-revolution era.

We had a problem after the Romans left whereby our trade with outsiders absolutely and completely broke down to the point where there was no currency for hundreds of years. We get invaded by the vikings and then immediately make up for lost time with the import of spices to the point where it could be called a national obsession to this day.

The french however built their capital city in the wrong place and the aristocracy turned all the fertile land round it into vineyards. This meant meat and fish was pretty much rotten by the time it got to the city and then navigated through the packed streets. Their solution was to invent marinades and sauces that would hide the rotten meat, as the British didn’t need to do this and would serve meat just lightly dry spiced. Made sense for the french government to push the lie that french cooking was awesome look at the plain English food haw haw in case the general population looked at the champagne region and went “hang on why are there not sheep on here”

I know this if two days ago but I wonder how much significance that has in "O the Roast Beef of Old England", which I learned about in school except I wasn't paying attention so all I remember is that it's by William Hogarth who's always fun to pore over pixel by pixel, and that the fella on the far left middle is Bill Hogarth himself. Some dude with a poleaxe is about to thrown his rear end in a dungeon for spying, that's whose hand is emerging stage right to grab him. I've heard tell there's a lot of symbolism in poo poo like the monk wanting to grab a bite himself, but I'll going with a more literal context because I'm dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/AaronSundance/status/1318222456587509764?s=20