Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Actually that +14/18 PRRI poll was done a week ago. I think it's extremely unlikely Biden will actually win 14-18 but it's certainly not completely absurd given other polling, and 538 seems to rate the pollster fairly highly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chinese Gordon posted:

It's a display error on 538:

70% turnout at 56-38% would shatter so many gerrymanders. How many senate seats would we win? 11? 12?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You'd expect Biden's national numbers to be falling back in line with the state averages by now, but that hasn't really happened. So something still doesn't add up. Either the national margins are overestimating Biden's support by 2-3 points, or the state-level polling is missing some significant shift. Or Biden's just running up the score in high population states that are voting Democratic anyway.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

exquisite tea posted:

Apparently that polling period was from over a month ago, in September. Just appears to be uncommonly favorable towards Biden.

Well given we have seen anything up to Biden +21 (LOLNO) I'm not so sure +15 is out of the question anymore.

quote:

You'd expect Biden's national numbers to be falling back in line with the state averages by now, but that hasn't really happened. So something still doesn't add up. Either the national margins are overestimating Biden's support by 2-3 points, or the state-level polling is missing some significant shift. Or Biden's just running up the score in high population states that are voting Democratic anyway.

Funny, was just pondering that. And I think the likely answer is becoming 2) State level is missing something in Biden's favour.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 19, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

exquisite tea posted:

You'd have to think that option 3 is a natural consequence of hyperpolarization in general , right?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Wasserman says the GOP congressional internals back up the national numbers

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Given the hyperpolarization in our politics right now I don't think it's at all out of line for Biden to get +10 or so nationally but to only get mid-to-high single digit victories in the competitive states that he's leading in. In fact, that's why Trump claiming he's gonna totes win New York this time guys (swearsie realsies!) is even funnier than it was in 2016.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well, that's the thing. The Senate and Congressional polling is as equally awful for the GOP as the Presidential race is for Trump. We didn't see this phenomenon in 2016; if anything, we should have smelled a rat when in the closing weeks of the race, the Senate and House polling all shifted hard Republican even as the Presidential race didn't appear to move at all.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 19, 2020

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I definitely remember doing some mental bargaining with the fact that polling seemed to indicate we were gonna lose the election in the house and the senate even if Clinton won. I never really thought about how that should have meant Clinton was going to lose also.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Zwabu posted:

As I understand it, 538 actually runs a bunch of simulated elections on their computers to derive the numbers. So called Monte Carlo style. So the 18 percent means that in a thousand simulations, Trump was winner in 180 and Biden in 920, etc.

Great math here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Charlz Guybon posted:

The thing that makes me hesitate to declare an overwhelming Democratic victory is that the generic congressional ballot, for as long as it has been polled this cycle, is still D+7 or D+8. If Biden were really up on Trump by double digits, you'd expect that number to shift as well. But it's remained exactly the same for months.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

The probability value isn't just something arbitrary.
Basically, they take their aggregated polls of all states as a basis. Then they run 40.000 simulations. Before doing that, they add some variance, which is based on how the states correlate. Here they also shift the weighting a bit towards the center, to account for unexpected things, which might cause drastic changes, or the idea that all polls are wrong in general. This centering gets reduced as time goes on. Now in each model each state has some Bayesian probability to go in either direction. After running it, they tally the electoral votes of the final map. According to the latest simulation, Trump wins 4800/40000 of those maps i.e. 12%.

The structure of this model is really sound, since the large amount of simulations has an effect which rectifies errors in the inputs or the calibration to some extend. Interestingly enough, just by the pure amount of tries, some of those maps would show outliners with a red New York, or a blue Wyoming. Literally none have a blue D.C.
Basically, if the model can sort of grasp the reality, 12% of all universes at this stage would chose Trump.

Of course, to some extend, this all still depends on the input. If 90% of the country has secretly sworn a blood oath to vote Trump at all costs, but lie about it in every poll, That data would not really be reliable.

It seems to me, not being an expert at statistical modeling of the behavior of populations, that fundamentally the tools being used here are based on approximating random chance. That is, the basic assumption is that the error in the polls is random and can be modeled using the tools created for modeling Bernoulli trials over random populations.

The basic idea is that sometimes people say they want Biden, sometimes they say they want Trump based on recent input stimulus and with time and hysteresis and they change their minds but over multiple polls the random noise cancels out and you are left with a strong signal of intent and a dominant trend.

Except fundamentally, none of this is actually random. It's actually more like where somethings are relative to others and fluctuate with changes to inputs and each atomic element has it's own unique inputs, that are often imperfect, and an internal transfer function that is 'fuzzy' and can provide widely variable outputs.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

538 just updated with some more recent Public Religion Research Institute polls (Oct 9-12) which have Biden at +14 and +18. I have a hard time believing these double digit national numbers when state margins are much closer and as Nate pointed out there has been a lack of high quality state polling recently.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

The thing that makes me hesitate to declare an overwhelming Democratic victory is that the generic congressional ballot, for as long as it has been polled this cycle, is still D+7 or D+8. If Biden were really up on Trump by double digits, you'd expect that number to shift as well. But it's remained exactly the same for months.

yea I super don't trust the whole 'there's gonna be a huge wave' thing just because no generic congressional polls have actually said that. Like, yea I'm pretty sure Joe's gonna win and there will be some flips but I really don't think there's gonna be some massive blowout even with how bad trump's flailing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

If the state polls are that behind though, is it because Biden is running up the totals in already blue states, and the battleground states are polarized to the point of barely any shift at all?

Like what otherwise explains the phenomena? Is it just there aren't any real undecideds in battleground states?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

TulliusCicero posted:

If the state polls are that behind though, is it because Biden is running up the totals in already blue states, and the battleground states are polarized to the point of barely any shift at all?

Like what otherwise explains the phenomena? Is it just there aren't any real undecideds in battleground states?

There have also been a few polls of places like west Virginia and the like where biden is *only* behind by 10-15 points and the like. If those shifts are happening it could inflate the popular vote numbers while having no electoral college impact.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Biden isn’t up 18. But he’s up double digits and a poor pollster could then get a result like +18.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/wsteaks/status/1318157804939640839?s=20

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Cicero posted:

Though the fact that it still shows polling firms having multiple polls covering the exact same dates seems odd.

I think they do this when the poll reports multiple turnout models. A lot of polls have been reporting "high turnout" "low turnout" etc. models, plus a registered voter result; I'm pretty sure 538 just adds them all to the average (I'm not sure if they're weighted differently or not).

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Biden is also doing much better in blood red States that he will never carry, like West Virginia.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
We're also in a bit of a polling lull right now, I wouldn't say there hasn't been any state movement until we get some more results. Hopefully more come out this week, otherwise we'll probably have to wait a few days after the debate.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TwoQuestions posted:

Biden is also doing much better in blood red States that he will never carry, like West Virginia.

Which bodes well for states that have West Virginia-like areas in them, like PA, MI, WI and OH. It shows Biden can cut into Trump's margins even in rural areas.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mainwaring posted:

There have also been a few polls of places like west Virginia and the like where biden is *only* behind by 10-15 points and the like. If those shifts are happening it could inflate the popular vote numbers while having no electoral college impact.

This is why the argument for the continuing existence for the EC is such bullshit: those shifts in voters in West Virginia should loving matter, those people should be heard, and in a pure popular vote they would be

Instead a bunch of indecisive fucks in the Midwest and Florida decide every election depending on who get called to either side like a puppy choosing it's owner based on how many treats it gets

1/4th of a country's populace should not get to decide who becomes President

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Second level analysis would be monitoring the linked in status of people working for the campaigns. If they are actively looking for new work in November (i.e. increased activity, updating their pages, creating new contacts and etc...) you would get a good indicator of confidence.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Which bodes well for states that have West Virginia-like areas in them, like PA, MI, WI and OH. It shows Biden can cut into Trump's margins even in rural areas.

Thats the reason why Texas is so hard, they do have some very large blue cities, but also absurdly enormous rural areas where the Democrat gets just annihilated 75-20 or even 80-15. Getting up to just losing by 25% in chud-land would flip the state.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

exquisite tea posted:

I mean, there's a pretty reasonable explanation sitting right there: Donald Trump is a uniquely hated and despised individual in American politics, regardless of partisan lean.

If you've got a statistically significant number of Republican voters who are happy with GOP/Trump policies but can't stand the man himself, you'd expect downballot approvals to stay steady while Ttump kept falling further and further behind.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yard sign report: here in NE FL, almost all of the Trump signs are..."evolved" I guess. They're like 4' x 8' and framed in wood. I guess so you can't steal them (?). I dunno but they're all over the place here.

About to go vote and did my sample ballot but I wish there were a better way to research judges and poo poo like "Mosquito Control Board".

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Biden isn’t up 18. But he’s up double digits and a poor pollster could then get a result like +18.

According to the excerpt from the poll's methodology upthread the +18 result was under an assumption of 70% turnout, which just flat ain't happening. The same poll gave +14 under a more conservative 55% turnout estimate.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Seems like a good sign
https://mobile.twitter.com/tbonier/status/1318180016786726914

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rigel posted:

Thats the reason why Texas is so hard, they do have some very large blue cities, but also absurdly enormous rural areas where the Democrat gets just annihilated 75-20 or even 80-15. Getting up to just losing by 25% in chud-land would flip the state.

Well, rural areas in the Sun Belt and rural areas in the Rust Belt are differently predisposed towards Biden. While it's apparent that he appeals more to the OH/PA/WV/MI/WI rural voter, it remains to be seen how he does in the AZ/TX/FL/NC rural areas. If he can cut into them BOTH by 5-10%, then he will sweep them all.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Democrats are voting early more than Republicans this cycle according to the experts, and Democrats do happen to be mostly women. I take this as additional evidence of that pattern.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The guy who runs the early vote analysis Twitter was taking shots at the poll pundits over the claim that you can’t interpret anything from the early days.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

TwoQuestions posted:

Does anyone know who the Public Religion Research Institute is? Clicking on the poll gave a 404 for me.

In case you're curious, it's a research institute founded by a Baptist minister and former professor of Religious Studies named Dr. Ron Jones. It's most famous for the American Values Atlas, which looks at religious affiliation and beliefs and how it affects public policy. Jones, who's an Evangelical himself, is critical of a lot of the modern white Evangelical movement, arguing that it's tied up with white supremacy and a blind embrace of capitalism, and more generally, that white Christianity in America has never come to terms with a legacy of white supremacy, and until it does that, the US can't really get rid of racism. He's also, as you can imagine, not a big fan of Trump.

Regardless of the PRRI founder's personal views, its pretty well respected.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The guy who runs the early vote analysis Twitter was taking shots at the poll pundits over the claim that you can’t interpret anything from the early days.

which early vote analyst?

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Epicurius posted:

In case you're curious, it's a research institute founded by a Baptist minister and former professor of Religious Studies named Dr. Ron Jones. It's most famous for the American Values Atlas, which looks at religious affiliation and beliefs and how it affects public policy. Jones, who's an Evangelical himself, is critical of a lot of the modern white Evangelical movement, arguing that it's tied up with white supremacy and a blind embrace of capitalism, and more generally, that white Christianity in America has never come to terms with a legacy of white supremacy, and until it does that, the US can't really get rid of racism. He's also, as you can imagine, not a big fan of Trump.

That's very interesting. Thank you.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

abelwingnut posted:

which early vote analyst?

Michael McDonald.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Thanks!

I tried looking at their site when the (incorrect) polls were posted, but I think a couple million others were too.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

These ghouls will have no problem getting employed and getting invited on to all sorts of media over and over again, same as every ex-GWB staffer and, hell, every ex-Trump staffer.

Anyway, wrap it up, Bidenaliures.
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1318193893448519680

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Wanna talk about some good international polling news: MAS landslide victory in Bolivia tossing out the fascist coup :toot:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

You had me excited for this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJTiDMfDeyE

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

brugroffil posted:

These ghouls will have no problem getting employed and getting invited on to all sorts of media over and over again, same as every ex-GWB staffer and, hell, every ex-Trump staffer.

Anyway, wrap it up, Bidenaliures.
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1318193893448519680

I was just reading this:
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1318191837262319620