Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Wow, “beware the villainess” is in fact extremely good. I don’t read many manhwa with this infinite scroll format (I should catch up on monster duchess…) but I feel like it’s greatest strength is goofy closeups of people with funny expressions. And there are a lot of those in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it's been posted in the thread before, but Let's Cultivate the Land updated. It's pretty standard as far as "slow life isekai" go and mundane but I like the interactions with the MC and the various superpowers that show up at his house. Like how the Dread Lich of Terror is now their friendly elderly neighbor who brings over snacks and helpers, and the adorable demon general and demon king pair who want to learn how to farm.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

I think it's been posted in the thread before, but Let's Cultivate the Land updated. It's pretty standard as far as "slow life isekai" go and mundane but I like the interactions with the MC and the various superpowers that show up at his house. Like how the Dread Lich of Terror is now their friendly elderly neighbor who brings over snacks and helpers, and the adorable demon general and demon king pair who want to learn how to farm.

I just really appreciate how it keeps avoiding becoming a harem story (unlike the other similar farmer isekai) and that the childish loli is actually treated like a child. It's all rather refreshing in its straightforwardness, while still having some good gags.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, like, it keeps introducing characters you would expect would be in the harem, like the super busty dark elf demon general, and then nope, she marries the demon king like two or three chapters later with the help of the MC, who is married to the mermaid princess. And the dragon is basically their gothic lolita-dressed daughter at this point.

It doesn't break any new ground, but it's perfectly fine as a series, good fluff. The mermaid and her brother are entertaining as hell. I also like how the MC's ability bestowed upon him by the god Hephaestus is explicitly designed to be as broken as possible. "gets the best results from anything you do" so he finds a sword in a dungeon and it's the legendary demon blade on par or better with the hero's sword, or goes fishing and immediately fishes up a mermaid princess wife. or goes to build a hut and builds a house with a bed despite not having the materials for a bed.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 5, 2020

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, like, it keeps introducing characters you would expect would be in the harem, like the super busty dark elf demon general, and then nope, she marries the demon king like two or three chapters later with the help of the MC, who is married to the mermaid princess. And the dragon is basically their gothic lolita-dressed daughter at this point.

It doesn't break any new ground, but it's perfectly fine as a series, good fluff. The mermaid and her brother are entertaining as hell. I also like how the MC's ability bestowed upon him by the god Hephaestus is explicitly designed to be as broken as possible. "gets the best results from anything you do" so he finds a sword in a dungeon and it's the legendary demon blade on par or better with the hero's sword, or goes fishing and immediately fishes up a mermaid princess wife. or goes to build a hut and builds a house with a bed despite not having the materials for a bed.
basically fix-it-felix

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah at this point I just skip over any isekai on mangadex that are titled like 'Invincible' 'Strongest' Immortal 'Greatest' etc etc or have one guy and seven women on the cover because I definitely know who's the protagonist of this story right off the bat.

Do you guys think that Undertale was so good and popular now that no one wants to try and make a story like it because they can't match it and don't want to seen like a shallow knock off?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah at this point I just skip over any isekai on mangadex that are titled like 'Invincible' 'Strongest' Immortal 'Greatest' etc etc or have one guy and seven women on the cover because I definitely know who's the protagonist of this story right off the bat.
"Immortal" triggers my "Chinese Wuxia kung fu trap" alarm almost as bad as seeing "cultivator."

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

I think this is one of the cases where "doesn't break any new ground" is one of its strong points. It's just a goofy, fluffy story about a guy who's using his OP power to make his little bit of the world a nice place to live. It's kind of like the comfort food of iseaki "I'm going to live freely" mangas.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

"Immortal" triggers my "Chinese Wuxia kung fu trap" alarm almost as bad as seeing "cultivator."

Yet, weirdly, "Peerless Dad" is one of the best comics I'm following right now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nalin posted:

Yet, weirdly, "Peerless Dad" is one of the best comics I'm following right now.

I think the Dad part cancels out the Peerless part. Dad comics tend to be innately wholesome.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What are your thoughts on tyrants and others of the tyrannical persuasion?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
usually "i'm going to live as i like" in a webnovel title or description means it is a story about a serial rapist.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

I think the Dad part cancels out the Peerless part. Dad comics tend to be innately wholesome.

Peerless Dad owns, but it's surprising how frequent 'Peerless' as a title component pops up on the front page for MD as well.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, I should have expected it from the tags and description but this is really yawn-worthy.

RareAcumen posted:

Yup those are red flags for me as well. Another is the literal red flag that shows up for every Chinese comic, since they are usually impenetrable and/or have the "random wacky" humor

Of course there are exceptions like Retired Heroes or Their Story

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Paracelsus posted:

What are your thoughts on tyrants and others of the tyrannical persuasion?

Usually "Immortal" or whatever else shows up as an adjective before "Tyrant" gets a chance of rolling in. I've already swiped past it at that point.

Jackard posted:

Another is the literal red flag that shows up for every Chinese comic, since they are usually impenetrable and/or have the "random wacky" humor

I want to act like I'm not so prejudiced, but I've repeatedly started on a few Chinese comics only for them to devolve into martial arts cultivation stuff too. So now I just look a few chapters ahead and see where it's really going.

It shows how shallow I am that you could switch all that out for some longswords and I'm suddenly fine.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like the cultural values dissonance with Chinese works is often much higher than it is with Japanese or Korean works.

And/or the stuff we get translated from Chinese is all their trashiest WNs.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The translation makes or breaks some of those. I can read a good hero journey with its specific Chinese flavoring, but if I have to read seven panels of Courting Death! then it's a mood killer.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The Reincarnated Villainess' Dark History updated again. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but the premise is that a lady gets reincarnated into an incredibly cringy romance book she wrote during middle school where she basically just threw a bunch of dumb tropes together with the biggest Mary Sue ever (who was literally created as a self-insert with her same name). Of course, she's the villainous sister character and is trying to survive being murdered by the fanatical guys all surrounding the heroine, all while desperately trying to recall the story she once tried to forget.

So far it has been pretty fun, although I kind of feel the story isn't as cringy as it should have been. Half the fun is watching her struggle against her choices of plot and characters and I feel author plays it a little safe sometimes.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
The Red Ranger becomes an adventure in another world explorers Isekai genre mixing in a whole new way with Tokusastu. It is extremely dumb in the best possible way. Cautiously optimistic that it wont turn bad but only one chapter to go by so far.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Vise the Stompy posted:

The Red Ranger becomes an adventure in another world explorers Isekai genre mixing in a whole new way with Tokusastu. It is extremely dumb in the best possible way. Cautiously optimistic that it wont turn bad but only one chapter to go by so far.

This rules.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Just read that, and that was a lot of fun.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Anyone read The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent? It looks interesting but I wanna hear others' thoughts on it before dipping my thoughts, in the mood for wholesome stuff.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Schneider Heim posted:

Anyone read The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent? It looks interesting but I wanna hear others' thoughts on it before dipping my thoughts, in the mood for wholesome stuff.

I think it is very good. At least it never leaves the wholesome zone.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Has that been picked up officially, out at least by someone with a better translation? I kind of enjoyed reading it, but there was a poor translation at the time which made it hard to really get in to it.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Seven Seas has both the novel and the manga licensed, though all that's out of it so far is the first volume of the novel digitally.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

VictualSquid posted:

I think it is very good. At least it never leaves the wholesome zone.

Agreed that it's good and never leaves the wholesome zone, though the whole "I can't let them know I am the saint" act got a bit tiresome.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Seven Seas has both the novel and the manga licensed, though all that's out of it so far is the first volume of the novel digitally.

Unfortunate there's so little out yet, but that just means a bit of a wait then. Thanks.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Vise the Stompy posted:

I honestly don't expect this to remain good the longer it goes on, but I'll take what I can get and the first chapter has some nice humor to it. Makes me wonder how it would work if they took a showa era Kamen rider instead.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Not an actual recommendation, but I ran into this while browsing:

quote:

A Christmas cake office worker got pierced by an Eiffel Tower decoration, died, and got reincarnated as Marie Antoinette.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

VictualSquid posted:

Not an actual recommendation, but I ran into this while browsing:

yet another reincarnated as a villianess headed for the bad end manga

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I assume somebody's done a bad end villainess reincarnated as an ordinary office worker by now.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There's this cute isekai called Boxed Garden about god sending a girl to another world in exchange for healing her little sister. Fluffy art, spends her days happily making potions in her magic cottage, meets the overly nice local nobility, goes to the adventure's guild and

"You should buy a slave."

God drat it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm guessing she does, then?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

"I bought you but you should call me by my name instead of master because I want us to be equals."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The explanation for why slavery exists is hosed up, too. It’s too bad because it’s otherwise very cute.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I really don't get why slavery is in so much of these Mangas.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kortel posted:

At this point it's just one more trope to copy just because everyone else has it, like having a magical pet.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Kortel posted:

I guess it's a cheap way to add an early secondary character? There's a degree of immediate "trust" established because there's often some kind of magic involved enforcing mastery, and slaves don't have any connections to society, so the party still stays "isolated" and can do its own thing. Plus it's easy to come up with tragic back stories for slaves, and you can have the protagonist show how super nice and Japanese he is without any traces of racism at all.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They're cribbing from each other, so because a few influential early works had it, the rest have to as well.

Did Dragon Quest have any slavery plotlines? If so, thats probably the ur-example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

lunar detritus posted:

At this point it's just one more trope to copy just because everyone else has it, like having a magical pet.

Yeah, I think it's this. You see a lot of the same tropes in these stories because they're so derivative. I think the fact that they're often written by amateur creators has an impact here too; it's not really that much different from fanfiction, really. Keith (From Bakarina) seems to show up in at least half of the otome isekai stories, but unfortunately some writers were influenced by Shield Hero instead.