Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So now MAS is more popular than ever.

Hopefully they can renationalise those industries back and use their new mandate to go further with their ideology since before they really slowed things down in order to make amends with the Global North.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/camilateleSUR/status/1318208181261271040?s=20

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MAS went with the "ballot or the bullet" approach, and demonstrated that the bullet threat was very, very real.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mA posted:

Well, in the one year they were in power they accomplished a lot of what they wanted to do: e.g. privatize industries, take out loans from the World Bank, etc. I have a feeling it's going to be difficult for Arce and MAS to roll that stuff back, unfortunately.

I suspect that, in reality, its going to be easy to do. They are largely going to argue that the coup was an illegal act, given that they won BOTH elections, and simply invalidate the actions of the Right Wing coup.

If you cannot stand 2 elections, the Right Wing coup never had a legal mandate. In the end, that's all the legitimacy Arce and MAS needs to roll it back. Signing deals with World Bank assumes you have the legitimacy to be making that deal on behalf of the country. They did not, and based on this ongoing election, likely never did.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 19, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm going to have a hearty laugh about it if these numbers stay steady and MAS actually comes out of this with one of the strongest mandates in the entire world.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 19, 2020

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hell yeah, great day for Bolivia.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect that, in reality, its going to be easy to do. They are largely going to argue that the coup was an illegal act, given that they won BOTH elections, and simply invalidate the actions of the Right Wing coup.

If you cannot stand 2 elections, the Right Wing coup never had a legal mandate. In the end, that's all the legitimacy Arce and MAS needs to roll it back. Signing deals with World Bank assumes you have the legitimacy to be making that deal on behalf of the country. They did not, and based on this ongoing election, likely never did.

Yeah, I can see that. TBH, the much bigger problem is the predatory IMF loans that Anez took out for Bolivia. Hopefully Arce and MAS will be able to deal with the political economic ramifications of it.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

good poo poo

extremely good poo poo

is this the first genuinely good news I've heard all year? I don't actually know. probably

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mA posted:

Yeah, I can see that. TBH, the much bigger problem is the predatory IMF loans that Anez took out for Bolivia. Hopefully Arce and MAS will be able to deal with the political economic ramifications of it.

Honestly? Yeah, IMF might try to lodge a complaint, but legally since the agreements were made with a coup, not the legitimate government: Good loving luck.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah that's not happening. They'll be stuck with that debt because they won't want another coup.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah that's not happening. They'll be stuck with that debt because they won't want another coup.

Why would another coup happen? The current failed coup is largely toothless, and its unlikely anyone is going to sponsor one without becoming a pariah.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I hope you're right.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

MAS should now expand it's anarchist elements.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I hope you're right.

Don't get me wrong, its not a surety, but given the best they could do coup wise is now a guy crying on national TV.....good luck, IMF.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

MAS should now expand it's anarchist elements.

As a principled anarchist, I must oppose MAS for their nationalizing their country's resources and committing the high crime of 'state capitalism', the worst thing you can ever do.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

CommieGIR posted:

Why would another coup happen? The current failed coup is largely toothless, and its unlikely anyone is going to sponsor one without becoming a pariah.

Eh, MAS still needs to find a way to bring the military back into the fold on their side. Otherwise, it only takes a few disgruntled generals to back another coup in the future, just like what happened with Anez.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

CommieGIR posted:

Don't get me wrong, its not a surety, but given the best they could do coup wise is now a guy crying on national TV.....good luck, IMF.

To be fair, so did Jeremy Corbyn when he lost.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/AliMortell/status/1318221632306089985?s=20

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

mila kunis posted:

As a principled anarchist, I must oppose MAS for their nationalizing their country's resources and committing the high crime of 'state capitalism', the worst thing you can ever do.

I disagree. I think they should nationalize all of their country's resources.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They won't get couped if they don't pay back the IMF loan because that's not how the IMF works. If they don't pay it back they (probably) won't be able to take out any other debt from anyone else, but if for some reason their exports pick up again they won't need it since they'll be getting dollars from that and that's usually why countries take IMF loans in the first place.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
but guys you don't get it, Evo absolutely TANKED the foreign debt that was crippling the bolivian economy :qq:

https://twitter.com/Licualopodo/status/1318160822414282758?s=20

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

but guys you don't get it, Evo absolutely TANKED the foreign debt that was crippling the bolivian economy :qq:

https://twitter.com/Licualopodo/status/1318160822414282758?s=20

lmfao maravilloso

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

A big part of why this coup failed is because Trump has no appetite for any thing that lasted more than two weeks and that the CIA were so disheartened by Trump getting bored halfway through a meeting and ordering McDonalds that they lost their lust for coup.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for all the answers, gentlegoons! :tipshat:

So now we look forward to Morales' triumphant return and transformation into an elder statesman?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i expect arce will want to keep morales out of the country until his grip on power is reasonably secure - no matter how aligned they are, arce will be wanting to build his own image and power base, and that would be undermined by having morales steal the show. expect him back in a year or so imo

i imagine he'll have some flashy stuff to boost his own profile as something else that evo's nerd pal

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Nah I think he'll be back as soon as possible, the question is more how big a role he'll play in the administration

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
I missed this at the time, but in light of recent tears from Santa Cruz, here is a good article about all these passionate democrats from Santa Cruz

https://mondediplo.com/2020/07/06bolivia

quote:

Herland eventually answered me by quoting from memory a passage from Mein Kampf. ‘The book by Hitler?’ I asked. ‘Yes, of course,’ he replied. ‘It’s a classic. Have you read it?’
The brothers nostalgically recalled their younger days. Tulio said, ‘Do you remember when they made that Indian fall off his bicycle and beat him up in the street?’
Joe Nuñez Klinsky, a Santa Cruz entrepreneur
Herland Vaca Díez Busch’s speech
The priest began, ‘My dear brothers and sisters, we are gathered here, today, to pray that the savage, Evo Morales, will never return.’

That entire article is big

https://twitter.com/janeost_/status/1092145849919045639

energy mixed with a healthy dose of mask off fascism quotes

Spice World War II fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 20, 2020

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Spice World War II posted:

I missed this at the time, but in light of recent tears from Santa Cruz, here is a good article about all these passionate democrats from Santa Cruz

https://mondediplo.com/2020/07/06bolivia

That entire article is big

https://twitter.com/janeost_/status/1092145849919045639

energy mixed with a healthy dose of mask off fascism quotes

"Bolivian Americans for Democracy"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'd forgotten how hittable Paul Ryan's face was

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mA posted:

"Bolivian Americans for Democracy"

I call BS, no way this isn't some sort of Young Republicans meeting in Des Moines.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Only 5% of Bolivian's population is white and 43% of the population speaks an indigenous language.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dias posted:

I call BS, no way this isn't some sort of Young Republicans meeting in Des Moines.

I looked it up, is almost that

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/18/paul-ryan-intern-selfie-capitol-hill-diversity

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Is it time to update the thread title now?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

r/Bolivia filled with rich Bolivians :qq:.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

After being able to effortlessly follow different-language threads on twitter for so long, its really jarring to remember that Reddit doesnt have some sort of simple "translate post" option

Thats my english-only whine of the day, I'm enjoying the crying going on in the english threads.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

After being able to effortlessly follow different-language threads on twitter for so long, its really jarring to remember that Reddit doesnt have some sort of simple "translate post" option

Thats my english-only whine of the day, I'm enjoying the crying going on in the english threads.

Are there any places where I can read Bolivian posters opinions who aren't anti-MAS shitheads?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

C-SPAM latam thread is your best bet

I think it was discussed like a year ago, and honestly MAS is the party of the poor, rural, and native in Bolivia, who probably aren't super interested in online English communities, much less posting with gringos

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

C-SPAM latam thread is your best bet

I think it was discussed like a year ago, and honestly MAS is the party of the poor, rural, and native in Bolivia, who probably aren't super interested in online English communities, much less posting with gringos

I'm turned off by CSPAM LatAm threads since I remember the Venezuela one which was filled with non-Venezuelans who were kicked out by Venezuelans in the Venezuela thread.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

shot:

punk rebel ecks posted:

chaser:

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm turned off by CSPAM LatAm threads since I remember the Venezuela one which was filled with non-Venezuelans who were kicked out by Venezuelans in the Venezuela thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Doctor Jeep posted:

shot:

chaser:

I stand by my viewpoints on the two governments.