Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ughhhh posted:

Have the mod tools been released? Have been itching to get back into this after watching partyelite's aserai LP, but the task of going through nexus to get all the mods has been keeping me away.

Look at the start of the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, I just had to disband my army and it worked just fine.

So, if I found a kingdom and pick a culture, does that change what units my settlements produce or is that still fixed like it is when you conquer a town? Does it just change a few meaningless penalties?

Lastly, wooo boy am I regretting not starting as an Imperial. That bonus seems a hell of a lot better now compared to the rest. Vlandia's +troop xp might be ok but once you're rolling around with top tier troops it does nothing.

E: Khan guards seem like they're comically overpowered. I know Fians were the hotness earlier on, but these guys just seem like Fians with maybe a tiny bit weaker bow (maybe) and horses and glaives instead of two handed swords. They've got the same basic melee skills as Vlandian banner knights as far as I can tell.

I'm pretty sure all the kingdom culture does is give you the loyalty bonus for towns with the same culture and penalty for towns with another culture. I think they said at some point they're going to add more to it.

Fian Champions are both the best archer and the best 2H infantry while the Khan's Guards are the best cavalry archer and yeah, have skills and equipment on par with the noble melee cavalry of the other factions. Khuzait easily have the strongest troops imo.

Fian Champions are definitely easier to build a huge army of since there are a lot more forest bandits to fight and capture than steppe bandits, and steppe bandit parties are a huge pain in the rear end to chase down.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 10, 2020

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

that "call an ambulance - for you" meme but its 150 kuzhait heavy horse archers

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

Fian Champions are definitely easier to build a huge army of since there are a lot more forest bandits to fight and capture than steppe bandits, and steppe bandit parties are a huge pain in the rear end to chase down.
True, but you can capture 15-20 steppe bandits if you raid a hideout with a surgeon that has the skill that applies it to enemies too, which isn't too bad. And the hideouts seemed really common last time I roamed through khuzait lands.

E: that's later game though when you have Disciplinarian. Prior to that I definitely found it easier to get Battanian noble recruits compared to other factions for some reason.

E2: the more I think about it, the more I think exp gain and renown gain are way, way too slow compared to a ton of other progression, specifically gear (kinda) and troop. Fortunately, mods.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 10, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hideouts are such great places to farm recruits and prisoners and pretty good loot. Plus if you get the quest from a nearby village you get a ton of reputation with the headsman. I have no idea what makes them spawn though.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Look at the start of the previous page.

woops. well i guess its just a matter of time till some nice mod packs come out.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, I just had to disband my army and it worked just fine.

So, if I found a kingdom and pick a culture, does that change what units my settlements produce or is that still fixed like it is when you conquer a town? Does it just change a few meaningless penalties?

Lastly, wooo boy am I regretting not starting as an Imperial. That bonus seems a hell of a lot better now compared to the rest. Vlandia's +troop xp might be ok but once you're rolling around with top tier troops it does nothing.

E: Khan guards seem like they're comically overpowered. I know Fians were the hotness earlier on, but these guys just seem like Fians with maybe a tiny bit weaker bow (maybe) and horses and glaives instead of two handed swords. They've got the same basic melee skills as Vlandian banner knights as far as I can tell.

I still like Fians for their ability to wipe out infantry charges at range but KG have longevity and mobility make them way better.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LegoMan posted:

I still like Fians for their ability to wipe out infantry charges at range but KG have longevity and mobility make them way better.

As long as I have infantry/archer lines I've had a ton of success using KG as dragoons. Don't let them skirmish, just roll up on the enemy archer line and let them unload. Then tell them to hold fire and rear charge the enemy infantry, or force the enemy to get shot in tje back. My army is turning into Fians and KG only and it's kind of disgusting.

And yet, I just got to t4 clan and have been rolling with an all-elite entourage for a huge chunk of the game. It's so weird how varied progression can be.

E: having both is also more interesting to play than just all KG in skirmish all the time. Though with battle sizes the way they are, it's odd how little impact the player sometimes has as a combat entity compared to general leadership.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 11, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

As long as I have infantry/archer lines I've had a ton of success using KG as dragoons. Don't let them skirmish, just roll up on the enemy archer line and let them unload. Then tell them to hold fire and rear charge the enemy infantry, or force the enemy to get shot in tje back. My army is turning into Fians and KG only and it's kind of disgusting.

And yet, I just got to t4 clan and have been rolling with an all-elite entourage for a huge chunk of the game. It's so weird how varied progression can be.

E: having both is also more interesting to play than just all KG in skirmish all the time. Though with battle sizes the way they are, it's odd how little impact the player sometimes has as a combat entity compared to general leadership.

When you fill up your party with top tier units that's when you break off some of them into parties led by your companions that you then make follow you in an army all the time to hack a bigger "party" limit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

When you fill up your party with top tier units that's when you break off some of them into parties led by your companions that you then make follow you in an army all the time to hack a bigger "party" limit.

They keep donating them to garrisons and poo poo. Those fuckers can keep recruiting my infantry non-elite shields that I can't be bothered to deal with.

E: no mods. I found and bought a t6 bow once. What made that happen? It looks like a workshop in a town only gives you up to t5 bows. Armor shows up at t6 semi-regularly at least.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 11, 2020

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Some items are culture specific, so shops may sell better items in different factions. e.g. crossbows in vlandia, bows in battania etc...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fishbus posted:

Some items are culture specific, so shops may sell better items in different factions. e.g. crossbows in vlandia, bows in battania etc...

Got it. I was more thinking about the weapon tier since I'd never seen a weapon that high tier ever.

Also, I just started using your mod: the improved looter party size is nice, but honestly, it seems like spawns of bandits in general are way down. Is this intentional, some weird quirk of larger parties meaning they get caught by enemies, or just my bad luck?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Got it. I was more thinking about the weapon tier since I'd never seen a weapon that high tier ever.

Also, I just started using your mod: the improved looter party size is nice, but honestly, it seems like spawns of bandits in general are way down. Is this intentional, some weird quirk of larger parties meaning they get caught by enemies, or just my bad luck?

Yeah I turned down the amount of spawns a bit to counter the absolute unit of bandits. I've noticed too that they are a little sparse at times, so i'll update their rates up a bit next update I'll try and get out this weekend

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Just started a new campaign and do you basically have to mod to level some of the skills at a reasonable rate still? I just want disciplinarian. Also is there any new way to level influence since it seems like the super nerfed donating prisoners? Donating troops seems decent but also I like those troops.

Seems like they mostly solved the lord getting captured by bandits constantly problem and no factions have started snowballing too badly 80 days in which I remember was a huge problem before.

Fights are still fun, should I turn up combat AI or is it fine to leave it on normal because I'm bad and if everyone's troops are dumb it evens out?

Also I do like that you can actually find good armor in some shops now and the pricing of everything seems more reasonable.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Leadership skill has a dumb leveling curve where it goes up teeny tiny bits by hiring troops but goes up like crazy while you are leading an army. So it basically goes nowhere until you get to the clan tier where you can form an army and then it skyrockets. They should add more ways to get leadership experience.

The best way to get influence is to win big battles.

e: this is talking from the last time i played which was a couple months ago so it might have changed

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B93woaH2Bbo

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
How does +skills work for troops? Does it increase their damage or something?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

How does +skills work for troops? Does it increase their damage or something?

You can see what raw skill affects by mousing over the info thing in the character tab.

Or actually this would be easier

https://www.bannerlordperks.com/perk

Just click skill info.

The skill level also affects the combat AI proficiency.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the newest Beta adds a lot more perks.

Siege towers still broken though. I really hope they fix that eventually or give up and give them all the long steep ramps the lower level wall settlements get.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

Looks like the newest Beta adds a lot more perks.

Throwing, roguery, scouting, steward, trade, and tactics all got perks now. drat. Is that all of them but engineering?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'm playing for the first time again since the game first came out and... I still really hate this game. I hate how the emphasis went from being a badass knight mowing down enemies to commanding dozens of troops. Yeah it's more realistic, but it's not fun. I'll keep waiting for mods I guess.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Arven posted:

I'm playing for the first time again since the game first came out and... I still really hate this game. I hate how the emphasis went from being a badass knight mowing down enemies to commanding dozens of troops. Yeah it's more realistic, but it's not fun. I'll keep waiting for mods I guess.

Get a long glaive (swinging, not thrusting) and kill to your heart's content. I sometimes get a higher killcount than my Khan's Guard (granted I tell them to wait while I run in screaming like a banshee)

The Bird
Dec 7, 2006

This game is amazing, but holy hell does it have a long way to go. I got it over the weekend, made it to tier 2 clan, pledged to Lucien/Battania, and got a castle through leveraging influence. I was really excited until I noticed that I cannot feed my castle! I got stacks of grain to the castle, but there is no way to supply my peasants. I am sure there is much more missing, but that was just such a glaring feature it kind of took the wind out of my play.

The battles are amazing. The first time following an army into a 500vs500 pitched battle, chasing doing enemy cavalry and diving into the enemy's archer backline is amazing. But then you get to a siege where you can't deploy your men. Or in that self-same 500vs500 battle you can't command your troops and have to select "No Formation".

So, I think I will be shelving this until it is out of beta. It has the bones to be an amazing game, but if I keep playing it I will just burn out and never pick it up again.

The Bird fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 19, 2020

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

The Bird posted:

So, I think I will be shelving this until it is out of beta. It has the bones to be an amazing game, but if I keep playing it I will just burn out and never pick it up again.

Check in on it periodically, since TaleWorlds games have a habit of being in perpetual "beta" status no matter how complete they actually are, so if you wait until it's officially out of beta you'll miss the stage where it's readily playable for you. Plus, now that the modding tools are near, we're about to see the really exciting phase of this game's life cycle start up: the M&B modding community is incredible.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

The Bird posted:

This game is amazing, but holy hell does it have a long way to go. I got it over the weekend, made it to tier 2 clan, pledged to Lucien/Battania, and got a castle through leveraging influence. I was really excited until I noticed that I cannot feed my castle! I got stacks of grain to the castle, but there is no way to supply my peasants. I am sure there is much more missing, but that was just such a glaring feature it kind of took the wind out of my play.

How are the fiefs connected to the castle? If they're not well-fed, the castle won't be. Keep dumping food in those and running missions for the fiefs and eventually the castle will get its food stocks up.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The sieges and the 500v500 battles where you can't command your men are by design. A "more able" commander has taken control of that section.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Arven posted:

In my own mod I've made it so you get more health for:

+5hp per level
+20hp per attribute in Vigor
+10hp per attribute in Endurance
+5hp per attribute in Control

So the idea is if you want to fight, you get tanky as heck and you can just blast enemies to your hearts content.

(this also applies to your companions, so they actually become 'heroes')

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

The sieges and the 500v500 battles where you can't command your men are by design. A "more able" commander has taken control of that section.

I do agree that it's moved away from early M&B to be much more about commanding that fighting.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Kestral posted:

Check in on it periodically, since TaleWorlds games have a habit of being in perpetual "beta" status no matter how complete they actually are, so if you wait until it's officially out of beta you'll miss the stage where it's readily playable for you. Plus, now that the modding tools are near, we're about to see the really exciting phase of this game's life cycle start up: the M&B modding community is incredible.

My perpetual cycle with these games is to check in, bash a few heads and then find something else to play for a while. But m&b stays on my system because there's new mods and stuff that keep it fresh whenever I decide to come back.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

viking conquest was almost exclusively about commanding at higher levels. the formations were great

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Bird posted:

Castles and towns mostly get food from their attached villages. It's a number distinct from the actual grain and stuff the villagers bring to market, you can mouse over the daily net food amount in the town window to see a breakdown where it'll say like +10 village name. The amount of food depends on village's population (bigger village population is better). If the village gets raided then the food production collapses and takes forever to recover. It's pretty easy for a town or castle to run out of food as soon as one of its villages gets raided.

It's confusing because you can't really use the food items for settlement food. The only way they relate to settlement food is that if a town has a lot of food items in the market then a few will be consumed to get another + a few food.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 19, 2020

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

I do agree that it's moved away from early M&B to be much more about commanding that fighting.

I mean you can always just order your troops to just charge and go in and start swinging. There's nothing that stops or impedes you from "just" fighting.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Bannerlord is actually the best game for that because you can press F6

The Bird
Dec 7, 2006

Kestral posted:

This is my plan. I will just periodically check on the development/nexus to see where mods and fixes are. It sounds like the community will make it *more* playable before TaleWorlds gets that far.

Hot Diggity! posted:

How are the fiefs connected to the castle? If they're not well-fed, the castle won't be. Keep dumping food in those and running missions for the fiefs and eventually the castle will get its food stocks up.

Shear Modulus posted:

Castles and towns...
It's confusing because you can't really use the food items for settlement food. The only way they relate to settlement food is that if a town has a lot of food items in the market then a few will be consumed to get another + a few food.

So, I have one adjacent village which has my clan name on it but I cannot see it in my clan/fiefdom/settlement screen. I am at work, so I will have to check in the castle window to see if it connected there when I get home. I just assumed that there is no connection/functionality. Do I need to dump my food in that village's market and then make sure it is not raided out? Do I really need to babysit my village, since there is no way to hire a guard detail or patrol?

dogstile posted:

This was my assumption. That my troops are divided into the different formations/wings and I am just too low-level to command them. I was able to command a horse archer wing during a Khuzaite campaign and circling wide around the enemy to rain hell on their archers was hilarious. Esp, after charging into them and cutting them down.

Is the command level based on total character level, influence, or leadership/tactic score? How will I know when I am high enough to actually command a formation if there are more than the maximum number of commanders?

I wish I had the patience to play this series when I was younger. There really is nothing like it and I understand why there are so many hardcore fans. Thanks for all your replies!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BMan posted:

Bannerlord is actually the best game for that because you can press F6

Yep. If you want to be a Dread Knight, hit F6 and let the ai handle stuff while you cruise around murdering people with your glaive.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Subyng posted:

I mean you can always just order your troops to just charge and go in and start swinging. There's nothing that stops or impedes you from "just" fighting.

True, but individual impact on a battlefield compared to M&B is a bit different. I actually like Bannerlord better for that, but it IS different.

For one thing, a horse is so, so much more important if you're going to command just for battlefield views.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

The Bird posted:

This is my plan. I will just periodically check on the development/nexus to see where mods and fixes are. It sounds like the community will make it *more* playable before TaleWorlds gets that far.

So, I have one adjacent village which has my clan name on it but I cannot see it in my clan/fiefdom/settlement screen. I am at work, so I will have to check in the castle window to see if it connected there when I get home. I just assumed that there is no connection/functionality. Do I need to dump my food in that village's market and then make sure it is not raided out? Do I really need to babysit my village, since there is no way to hire a guard detail or patrol?

You don't have to completely babysit it, just swing by to make sure it doesn't get raided if it's on the front lines and kill looter / bandit patrols to keep them from ganking your villagers going between the city to sell and the castle to feed. But yeah, you're going to want to dump surplus food into the town because they'll both rely and it and sell it, plus any parties that roll through the area will be buying food too. IIRC there's something in the castle that boosts production of town food. Pump money in the castle for production bonuses. It takes a while to get them stable because chances are it was raided before your kingdom captured the castle and it was assigned to you.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I don't think selling surplus food to villages does anything. I think it only works for cities. IIRC the flavor text of "this village is starving" etc is just based on the population and the only economic statistic for villages is population. You just need to keep the village from not being raided and make sure the villager parties traveling to market stay safe. I think the only way to make villages grow faster is to pick the "irrigation" option in the castle management menu which gives a slight bonus to its' attached villages' growth every day but also means you can't build improvements that day. There's also an improvement you can build in the castle that gives some bonus food each day.

There are some mods that let you send out patrol parties that follow instructions like "patrol around our villages." I like this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/493 but it looks like it's been a while since it's been updated.

re: sometimes not being able to command your guys, I think when you're in an army the army leader gets to command everyone. Sometimes you get assigned or get to pick if you want to personally command everyones combined archers, cavalry, etc. If you form an army then you get to command everyone else's troops in battles.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I love the setup and command of troops before the battle. Half of the fun for me is positioning. Find a nice little hill, put the shields on the first step up and the archer back above them. In the one game I got to disciplinarian and stocked up on imperial legionaries and fians. It would absolutely destroy everything with little loss each a battle. All I'd do is have the shields hold and ride around glaiving the opponents ranged with my 10 or so horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I'm having the most fun when I'm setting up and giving out orders before diving in with my melee troops and whomping some rear end, only to fall back every once in a while to re-assess the situation and give new orders before going back in.