Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Shoehead posted:

gently caress all of this Covid talk. Where is Fungie?? Who is this fake Fungie I'm hearing about??

Fungie has been around since I was a kid.

Forget Paul McCarthy or Avril Lavine, Fungie has been dead and replaced with Dölphin-gangers for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

When I was still half asleep this morning, I had an amazing revelation, that the deciding factor in whether or not a county is doing badly with covid spread is if they are any good at GAA. Wicklow ought to be bad because it's so close to Dublin, but the 14 day rate is the second lowest in the county.

Why? Because we are absolutely shite at GAA games, we never win anything = no big parties to celebrate.

Unfortunately for my theory, Kilkenny is also doing pretty well and I believe they are quite good at hurling.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pookah posted:

When I was still half asleep this morning, I had an amazing revelation, that the deciding factor in whether or not a county is doing badly with covid spread is if they are any good at GAA. Wicklow ought to be bad because it's so close to Dublin, but the 14 day rate is the second lowest in the county.

Why? Because we are absolutely shite at GAA games, we never win anything = no big parties to celebrate.

Unfortunately for my theory, Kilkenny is also doing pretty well and I believe they are quite good at hurling.

This is actually a talking point up North where blaming the GAA for spreading covid is popular with a uh certain class of commentators.

We just had Poots from the DUP on the radio yesterday saying how unfair province wide restrictions are because the rate is only really high in nationalist constuencies because of all that GAA and disregard for good god fearing law and order

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Never miss an opportunity to blame themmuns

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

kustomkarkommando posted:

This is actually a talking point up North where blaming the GAA for spreading covid is popular with a uh certain class of commentators.

We just had Poots from the DUP on the radio yesterday saying how unfair province wide restrictions are because the rate is only really high in nationalist constuencies because of all that GAA and disregard for good god fearing law and order

Ah that's just the usual sectarian bollocks isn't it. I'm really just joking, but it is odd that Wicklow is so low when other Dublin adjacent counties are getting hammered. The daily cases and positivity rate in the North suggest it's just running rampant there at the moment, it's very scary :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kustomkarkommando posted:

Never miss an opportunity to blame themmuns
Reminded me of energy in this letter that was suggested as something I'd enjoy reading yesterday.

Sir, The "Good" Friday Agreement is actually very Bad, because it allows the shinners to pretend to be a legitimate political party and not the band of armed terrorists I know them to be in my heart.

They and they alone keep collapsing and impeding the functioning of civil society by not going along with what we want to do.

In times like these we need vocal and sensible politicians, such as Jim Allister.

Yours, etc,
Belfast (East)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Pookah posted:

Ah that's just the usual sectarian bollocks isn't it. I'm really just joking, but it is odd that Wicklow is so low when other Dublin adjacent counties are getting hammered. The daily cases and positivity rate in the North suggest it's just running rampant there at the moment, it's very scary :(

Well it's obviously because the Holy Grail is in Greystones and that's pushing the Virus away from Wicklow.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I think you'll find Cork disproves the sports spread theory.
We are shite at the football, hurling, AND soccer.

If only corruption was a sport....

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Actually living next to Pairc ui Rinn, I’m happy to blame the GAA for at least some of this. On more than a few occasions there had to have been more than the allowed attendees based on traffic alone and when I was out walking around the time matches were finishing there was gently caress all masks like nobody

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I did raise an eyebrow when people started pointing to poor crowd management at the Derry GAA senior finals as to why there's an outbreak in the city even though the religion in the city is very much soccer and the match and all teams involved are from the culchie zone beyond the glenshane located in a completely different council area but sure everyone's the same out west

The disdain in Belfast as well for the student house parties in the Holylands also has a healthy bit of "good drat dirty culchies coming up here with their GAA tops coughing on each other and making us look bad"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
At my prod school they called spraying on deoderant in lieu of having a shower after PE a fenian shower :cripes:

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

crispix posted:

At my prod school they called spraying on deoderant in lieu of having a shower after PE a fenian shower :cripes:

That wonderful teenage scent, Lynx Papist.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

crispix posted:

Lmao

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

crispix posted:

I've heard it called a Spanish shower in Dublin

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It was a uhhh slur that starts with K-shower in the horrible village I lived in for a bit in Wexford.

From what I've been hearing from awful soul destroying Radio 1 there was at least one large super spreader event in... Mayo or Galway?? from the party they threw over winning a match.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

It was a uhhh slur that starts with K-shower in the horrible village I lived in for a bit in Wexford.

From what I've been hearing from awful soul destroying Radio 1 there was at least one large super spreader event in... Mayo or Galway?? from the party they threw over winning a match.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/galway-village-super-spreader-party-22859870

Aye, Galway.

And similar thing happened to my town, posted it in UK chat.
But it's town rumor, some student came back from Belfast knowing he could be infected, played or trained with the local gaa club, and now a good few dozen have it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

crispix posted:

lmao that's amazing. I grew up round a load of RAF and Royal Navy people who called it a squaddie shower, because people in the British Army are gross and don't know how clean themselves presumably.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I've heard it called a Spanish shower in Dublin

They used to call it a Chinese Shower where I was growing up in Kildare.

Like it was racist and dumb but at least calling it a Japanese Shower would have made sense, since it would be implying that you couldn't go home from work to shower and were expected to keep working because of crazy office culture.

Like it's still wrong but it made more sense.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It's just "a whores bath" under a different name. Some variation on the euphemisms been knocking around a while.

Looks like level 4 announced tomorrow gang. Might be looking at 5 after the Bank Holiday, would make sense if you want things kinda normal for Christmas.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

It's just "a whores bath" under a different name. Some variation on the euphemisms been knocking around a while.

Looks like level 4 announced tomorrow gang. Might be looking at 5 after the Bank Holiday, would make sense if you want things kinda normal for Christmas.

Things would have been more likely back to normal if they had down the 4 week long Level 5 lockdown....two weeks ago. When Tony and the Gang first suggested it.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Oh I agree, but this is the plan under neoliberal hyper capitalism. The govt will want people doing their Christmas shopping this year. Half the shops in dublin will fold if they don't have Christmas or an equivalent bailout.

I think we'll have lvl 5 for all of November and we'll be expected to go out for loving insipid Christmas frappacinos in December. And it still won't be safe.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
If they were half way smart they would organize a gov funded shopping delivery system.
Like how you saw volunteer groups offering to get shopping when it first hit. For the old folks and house bound.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Subpoena Twitter and Facebook for lists of anyone who follows Gemma O Doherty, then send round a team to weld them into their houses

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Subpoena Twitter and Facebook for lists of anyone who follows Gemma O Doherty, then send round a team to weld them into their houses

Expand this to include Jim Corr imo

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...s-39638423.html The Indo reckons the 5km limit will be coming back.

Article has a quote from an unnamed minister:

There are concerns within Government about become an “outlier” in Europe by imposing more severe restrictions than other EU states. “The last time we went into these type of measures lots of Europe was going into it but this time there is a risk we go into it and others don’t and we become an outlier,” a minister said.
“Even the markets will look at us differently then,” the minister added.

The whole world is looking at New Zealand and saying "Wow, they did a great job" and their PM just got re-elected in a loving landslide but god forbid we do things better than the rest of Europe or the markets might not like it?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

cormac posted:

The whole world is looking at New Zealand and saying "Wow, they did a great job" and their PM just got re-elected in a loving landslide but god forbid we do things better than the rest of Europe or the markets might not like it?

standard right wing take is now along these lines

A delightful telegraph article posted:

Yet for squashing Covid-19 flat, Ardern’s New Zealand has paid a terrible economic price. In the second quarter GDP fell by 12.2 per cent. That’s smaller than Britain’s fall, but it is a horrendous collapse considering the far lighter footprint of coronavirus in New Zealand.

Being effective still damages your economy, better to take worse economic damage while killing loads of people because ????

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Tories gonna Tory. Killing poors is the point.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Christ that quote makes me angry. Bending over backwards to say "well they're covid free AND their economy is better off than us, but this is actually bad"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cicadalek posted:

Christ that quote makes me angry. Bending over backwards to say "well they're covid free AND their economy is better off than us, but this is actually bad"

It's bad because it makes many non NZ countries look awful. I mean BoJo has to declare a ear on loving Christmas to stop death so that should tell you how were collectively doing

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
25 people in NZ died of Covid 19, TWENTY FIVE

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Shoehead posted:

25 people in NZ died of Covid 19, TWENTY FIVE

But a lot of people lost money so who can say if that was moral or not.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Level 5... for 6 weeks! :derp:

This will be extra rough, I have a school extension to try wrap up, which will probably get shelved as they would be more than 5km away.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

My dumb theory is actually looking somewhat correct. Wexford just had a sudden crazy spike and looking at local message board discussions, the hub was a 12 hour lock in in a pub in Castletown after some trivial local gaa win.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1019/1172493-pup-covid-19/

Some good news at least for me. I'm pretty sad that I can't get married though, we only had 12 more days to go :(

Edit wait I missed the first sentence of that... They're NOT restoring the PUP for EVERYONE ughhh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shoehead posted:

Some good news at least for me. I'm pretty sad that I can't get married though, we only had 12 more days to go :(

Edit wait I missed the first sentence of that... They're NOT restoring the PUP for EVERYONE ughhh

sorry on both counts, mate.

Looks like it's time to crack each others' heads open, and feast on the goo inside

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Shoehead posted:

I had been on 350 a week then got booted down to 205.

It's still more than I was earning I suppose.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
gently caress ok it looks like I'll be able to get married this year at least. the honeymoon is up in the air though. My boss is gonna flip her poo poo tomorrow though

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Crèches staying open FTW

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Shoehead posted:

gently caress ok it looks like I'll be able to get married this year at least. the honeymoon is up in the air though. My boss is gonna flip her poo poo tomorrow though

When the wife and I got married we decided that we wouldn't do an immediate honeymoon. We got married in April and went on a Mini-moon up to the Wineport in Athlone and stayed there for 3 days.

We then saved all the money we got as gifts from friends and family and used it to buy a kickass Honey Moon in Mexico in the September of that year.

My advice is differ your Honeymoon to when you can actually enjoy it. And use the money you save to make if a truly once in a lifetime event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

honeymoon.
Mini-moon
Honey Moon
Honeymoon

Choose your moon