Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

shadow puppet of a posted:

Good lord I haven't seen that picture since the second grade, some 35 ish years ago and I still remember all those gross cuts in the things neck.

I had this book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

That is one of the books I was going to check for Biff, I have the whole set, I just can't find it in the book stacks at the moment.
I also had a few smaller form ones covering the same type of stuff, but I'm pretty sure my ex took some of them when we parted because she loved rereading those stories to get herself all spooked up.
I really need to get my library more organized.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CommonShore posted:

I had this book!

I had this edition back in the late 70s (which included the companion books on ghosts and UFOs) and it was massively influential on me:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

kupachek posted:

That is one of the books I was going to check for Biff, I have the whole set, I just can't find it in the book stacks at the moment.
Man. I used to love those loving books. My cousin had part of a set and they creeped me out something fierce.

Pretty sure I used the one with the Men in Black as a book report at one point in 6th grade.

Too bad the sets run for like $300 on ebay :shepspends:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I don't know if I owned any or just read the library ones constantly but those Usborne books were so good. Aliens/UFOs and ghosts were much cooler than creatures, though my personal favourite was time anomalies, like the Moberly-Jourdain thing or the Philadelphia Experiment. I'm sure I still have a couple of supernatural books in the attic boxes but I don't think any I held onto were illustrated.

kupachek posted:

I also had a few smaller form ones covering the same type of stuff, but I'm pretty sure my ex took some of them when we parted because she loved rereading those stories to get herself all spooked up.
I really need to get my library more organized.

I'm afraid it doesn't even mention Mothman, or any of the others in the series that I checked. (https://archive.org/details/mysteriouscreatu00time) But don't let that stop you from tidying up!

https://everydayislikewednesday.blogspot.com/search/label/mothman has a lot of pictures of Mothman illustrations, and actually says where they came from, though none of them seem that relevant. There's another image he doesn't include that is decent, two people visible in a car with Mothman alongside, but that's easy to find with image search and nobody gives the source so it doesn't help much.

No luck figuring out what the other creature is meant to be. Oh well.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

uvar posted:

I don't know if I owned any or just read the library ones constantly but those Usborne books were so good. Aliens/UFOs and ghosts were much cooler than creatures, though my personal favourite was time anomalies, like the Moberly-Jourdain thing or the Philadelphia Experiment. I'm sure I still have a couple of supernatural books in the attic boxes but I don't think any I held onto were illustrated.

I'm afraid it doesn't even mention Mothman, or any of the others in the series that I checked. (https://archive.org/details/mysteriouscreatu00time) But don't let that stop you from tidying up!

https://everydayislikewednesday.blogspot.com/search/label/mothman has a lot of pictures of Mothman illustrations, and actually says where they came from, though none of them seem that relevant. There's another image he doesn't include that is decent, two people visible in a car with Mothman alongside, but that's easy to find with image search and nobody gives the source so it doesn't help much.

No luck figuring out what the other creature is meant to be. Oh well.

To be honest, the book I'm really trying to find in the stack in terms of being a ringer for the memory is a 10-12mm or so thick paperback with a glossy cover with green, I think it was a rendition of a grey, but in neon ooze green.

The other creature makes me wonder if they're mixing up fiction fiction with cryptid fiction, because the one thing it brings to mind are the hork bajir from animorphs. The problem with that theory is that the photo described is familiar enough that I think I've seen it in one of the books as well, two decades ago or more.

"Tidying up" the library is a full time job, the book stacks run from floor to ceiling and I stacked them a mix of spine left and spine in for stability. When I went to go through them last night I got a rude awakening as to how much dust had settled in there over the last few months.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

uvar posted:

Mothman was a late bloomer, the first sightings and bridge collapse were in the late 1960s and the book The Mothman Prophecies was printed in 1975 and took a while to trickle out into pop culture.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Mothman was a late bloomer, the first sightings and bridge collapse were in the late 1960s and the book The Mothman Prophecies was printed in 1975 and took a while to trickle out into pop culture.

It’s a great movie

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
The talk about The Mothman Prophecies reminded me of another thing I've been looking for. At one point I thought it was from that movie, but it wasn't. I recall a movie, or TV show (or possibly book) that had a widower falling in love with a woman (or maybe just starting to date again). There was a conversation about him still loving his deceased wife, and how the woman he was dating (or might date) would feel about that. And someone responded with a statement talking about "... a man who stopped loving his wife just because she died," and that the woman "has enough room in her heart" for him and his wife.

I thought it was from Mothman Prophecies, or maybe Sleepless in Seattle, but I had no luck with either of them (though I suppose I could have missed something).

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

ZoeDomingo posted:

Yeah, that looks like some of the ufos I remember. In the videos I'm remembering, they were a lot closer, or maybe they were smaller, like drones? And right above people's heads, or at maybe the height of power lines? They were also moving more slowly. But I do remember the Haiti one as well.

I remember some photos, not video, that are closer to what you are describing.

California Drones UFO sightings-2008

Some of the photos were featured in "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" too.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

torgo posted:

I remember some photos, not video, that are closer to what you are describing.

California Drones UFO sightings-2008

Some of the photos were featured in "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" too.

Yes! That definitely looks like what I'm thinking of. There were several like it, and I guess they could have been photos instead of videos. I may be conflating that picture with the Haiti video Captain Hygeine posted before and the one from California.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I am looking for several pieces of artwork that are part of a series and appeared in one of my language arts textbooks in the mid-late 90’s.

It was a series of paintings of the exact same part of a town in middle America, and each painting was from the exact same perspective and but from a different time period showing the town’s growth from a small village town square to dirty 1970s metropolis and then a gentrified 90s modern city. It wasn’t one specific place and each building, billboard, store front etc were taken from actual places then combined together to create a generic American town/city. The view was from up high, and off to the side, like from the top of a building on the corner of the square. It was super interesting and the paintings were wildly detailed. I remember the text book having a lot of art like that. In fact the reason I started thinking about this is because of another painting that may or may not have been in the book, which I discovered last night, James Doolin’s “Highway Patrol” which may be the impetus for my love of cyberpunk looking cities.

Luckily with that one I never forgot the name and it was just the right combination of google keywords that found it.

If anyone could help it be wonderful.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Have you ruled out other stuff by the same artist? He made a series of murals that sound vaguely similar: Los Angeles (Circa 1870, Circa 1910, Circa 1960 and After 2000) (Even if it's not, I hadn't come across him before and glad I have, his work is fascinating.)

There's also Robert Crumb's "A short history of America", but that's a series of illustrations from a person's perspective, not up high.

A side benefit of this thread is that, after a bunch of searches for this kind of thing, sonic animations, widower romances, etc., my search history must be constantly worthless for targeted advertising. Take that, Google!

uvar fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 18, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I had seen those but the ones I’m describing are like, I dunno almost clinical? They were done in a very realistic style. The one specific thing I remember about them was that the 1950s/1960s one had a Holiday Inn sign from Topeka KS (I remembered this because I live in KS) so searching for that led me to a collection of Holiday Inn postcards from the 50s with that iconic sign, including one that said it was from Topeka, but was obviously not because there were palm trees in front of it. But I did find this image, which shows a shot of a street from a roughly similar viewpoint, though obviously I’m looking for something of a town square and not just a street

Imagine a more realistic version of a Jane Wooster Scott piece, from that high up oblique angle instead of a flat presentation

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Depending on where your school was, they might still be using the same textbooks; just call and check!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Julius CSAR posted:

I am looking for several pieces of artwork that are part of a series and appeared in one of my language arts textbooks in the mid-late 90’s.

It was a series of paintings of the exact same part of a town in middle America, and each painting was from the exact same perspective and but from a different time period showing the town’s growth from a small village town square to dirty 1970s metropolis and then a gentrified 90s modern city. It wasn’t one specific place and each building, billboard, store front etc were taken from actual places then combined together to create a generic American town/city. The view was from up high, and off to the side, like from the top of a building on the corner of the square. It was super interesting and the paintings were wildly detailed. I remember the text book having a lot of art like that. In fact the reason I started thinking about this is because of another painting that may or may not have been in the book, which I discovered last night, James Doolin’s “Highway Patrol” which may be the impetus for my love of cyberpunk looking cities.

Omg I know what you're tlaking about but I'll be damned if I know where to find it. I saw the pictures in 7th grade I believe and it always stuck with me

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Gotta be, i'm pretty certain it was 7th grade as well

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
A low grade fantasy series that came out in short installments.

One of the main characters is a Conan type (shocker I know) who ends up trapped in some spell like encasing him in amber for several years, and I think is rescued by his son who was an infant at the time (so very similar to Dragon Quest 5).

I remember reading bits and pieces in the late 80's early 90's.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Trying to find a windows 3d graphical art game from 90s.
Had different pre made models you could pic and place in a scene and not much else other than cool animations for deleting the scene like a flamethrower etc.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

uvar posted:

http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.com/2013/10/monster-monster.html has pictures of the Monster edition but there's nothing matching the image descriptions. The knight fighting the worm on page 10 is pretty hardcore though.

Edit: this is not Mysteries of the Unknown, that's a different series! My mistake.

Goddamn this brought back memories, thanks.

I had this as a kid as well as two others. One was a similar book of monsters where the depiction of Scylla was something terrifying, like the scary face from the Fright Night poster except dozens of them attached to one body. The second was a book on paranormal which had pages on ESP, Pyramid power and a chilling illustration of mother Shipton.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
There was this old...program of some sort for Windows 95, where you could change people's hairstyles & colors. It had a turquoise background, I think. I don't remember the objective of this maybe-game-thing. If I recall correctly, the graphics were almost Angela Anaconda-esque.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Thanks to everyone who's been helping out.

I used to love those Mysteries of the Unknown books and would borrow them constantly from the school and public library.

The book I'm thinking of though felt older than those even. I only ever borrowed it once (probably because the second drawing creeped me out too much), but I remember thinking the story of that monster was pretty intense for what was supposed to be a kid's book because they talked about it killing and (maybe) eating people.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Thanks to everyone who's been helping out.

I used to love those Mysteries of the Unknown books and would borrow them constantly from the school and public library.

The book I'm thinking of though felt older than those even. I only ever borrowed it once (probably because the second drawing creeped me out too much), but I remember thinking the story of that monster was pretty intense for what was supposed to be a kid's book because they talked about it killing and (maybe) eating people.

You might have more luck finding it by googling vintage monster/cryptozoology books and seeing if you recognise the cover, there were a whole bunch of books on the subject around the late 70s/early 80s

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

Good lord I haven't seen that picture since the second grade, some 35 ish years ago and I still remember all those gross cuts in the things neck.

Man some village way downstream will have dammed up the river and they are hosed.

or some beaver is getting the surprise of its life

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Julius CSAR posted:

I don't know the title of the book, but I read it when I was a kid in the early-mid 1980s, so it's earlier than you thought. It starts out with a crossroads and a small farmhouse, then a village with a gas station (?), a town, then a big city with skyscrapers and pollution. I don't think the book had any text at all, and it was in a large format with each illustation taking up an entire spread.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Oh, it's a standalone thing? Here's a list someone put together of picture books about the passage of time in "urban landscapes", several with scans/photos: http://www.playingbythebook.net/2012/05/21/urban-landscapes-picture-books-about-changes-over-time/

I'm posting from a different device and apparently I had this as a saved draft comment in this thread a month ago :iiam:

quote:

I hope you're ready to learn the real truth about UFOs

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

uvar posted:

I'm posting from a different device and apparently I had this as a saved draft comment in this thread a month ago :iiam:
Does anything about this seem even slightly familiar

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

axolotl farmer posted:

I don't know the title of the book, but I read it when I was a kid in the early-mid 1980s, so it's earlier than you thought. It starts out with a crossroads and a small farmhouse, then a village with a gas station (?), a town, then a big city with skyscrapers and pollution. I don't think the book had any text at all, and it was in a large format with each illustation taking up an entire spread.

(slowly, as if emerging from a dream) and... and, there were... frogs? flying, on... lilypads?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
looking for an old flash video sort of like Neil Cicierega's "hyajjkukjuki" or whatever. at the start of the video a bunch of random logos and pictures fade into the screen as a narrator lists them off, one of them being the Windows ME logo (which the narrator says "Me????" in a very quizzical tone)

then the narrator says "what do these things have in common?" and then the song starts. I have no idea what song but basically I'm tryna find that video

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

uvar posted:

Oh, it's a standalone thing? Here's a list someone put together of picture books about the passage of time in "urban landscapes", several with scans/photos: http://www.playingbythebook.net/2012/05/21/urban-landscapes-picture-books-about-changes-over-time/

Yeah they were just a series of paintings used in an English textbook, not a book specifically about them. I’m going to try and see if that painting I posted earlier can give me clues to what text book it was used in, since I’m fairly certain it was the same book.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

barnold posted:

looking for an old flash video sort of like Neil Cicierega's "hyajjkukjuki" or whatever. at the start of the video a bunch of random logos and pictures fade into the screen as a narrator lists them off, one of them being the Windows ME logo (which the narrator says "Me????" in a very quizzical tone)

then the narrator says "what do these things have in common?" and then the song starts. I have no idea what song but basically I'm tryna find that video

To help, that genre was called "animutation".

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Arrhythmia posted:

To help, that genre was called "animutation".

yeah I know, but doesn't get me any closer to that specific video. already been all over albino blacksheep, which is where I assumed I saw it originally, and also newgrounds, but NG's search is pure dogshit

fuckin internet sucks, in 2007 I would have been able to find it instantly, now all I can find when I search for stuff is bullshit

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 19, 2020

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Another book I read in school, in 2003. Book seemed to be set around early 1960s, and was possibly written then. Two high school students, one male and one female, take advantage of a widower. Said widower is friends with the monkey/ape at the zoo. The monkey dies and then the widower dies.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The pigman?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

barnold posted:

yeah I know, but doesn't get me any closer to that specific video. already been all over albino blacksheep, which is where I assumed I saw it originally, and also newgrounds, but NG's search is pure dogshit

fuckin internet sucks, in 2007 I would have been able to find it instantly, now all I can find when I search for stuff is bullshit
http://wiki.animutationportal.com/Category:Animutations_featuring_Microsoft_Windows_Millenium_Edition either of these?

e: https://youtu.be/4dE46NI6Y-A <-bingo

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 19, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Scaramouche posted:

The pigman?

That’s what I thought too.

Personally I preferred Zindell’s goofy stories about kids fighting monsters.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

holy gently caress

1) how the gently caress is there a specific page for "animutations that have windows ME"
2) how did this site not come up at all while I was digging, I swear to gently caress I watched so many lovely flashes trying to find this thing and there it is lmfao

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

barnold posted:

holy gently caress

1) how the gently caress is there a specific page for "animutations that have windows ME"
2) how did this site not come up at all while I was digging, I swear to gently caress I watched so many lovely flashes trying to find this thing and there it is lmfao

Yesterday, thanks to Justin Whang, I found out there’s a wiki dedicated to chronicling all examples of baths and bath scenes in anime. Nothing, no matter how stupid, is now beyond our grasp.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

mysterious frankie posted:

Yesterday, thanks to Justin Whang, I found out there’s a wiki dedicated to chronicling all examples of baths and bath scenes in anime. Nothing, no matter how stupid, is now beyond our grasp.

There's someone out there fascinated with power lines, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Yond Cassius posted:

There's someone out there fascinated with power lines, too.

The ease with which you can set up and update sites like this is probably why there are fewer serial killers these days.