Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CRYOPHAAAAAAAAAAAGE :five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:five:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Joe Slowboat posted:

He sees the inescapability of violence and says ‘that’s why I, a smart person, have dedicated my life solely to violence and do not seek anything beyond it’ - which is truly mastery of Sword Law, even if it sucks.

I'm pretty sure it's not?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

skaianDestiny posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not?

No, it is. The issue is that Sword Law is neither cool nor good. We just had an entire chapter on this!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Captain Oblivious posted:

No, it is. The issue is that Sword Law is neither cool nor good. We just had an entire chapter on this!

Sword Law sucks and you should do literally anything else with your life. That is the entire point of Meti.

Incubus is the student who learned everything she had to teach about Sword Law and then didn’t go off and do something else. He is completely poisoned by the blade. And like... given his origins one can hardly blame him. He had nothing, was abject, was completely powerless against the forces of the world. Now, because he can kill people really well, he’s a god. That’s the only justice in this rotten world, to him - Sword Law, the law of strike first, the law of violence. Sword Law sucks and you should do literally anything else.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

You've made Incubus sound like the dozenish people I know that went to grad school because they couldn't handle life without grading and then went into being professors because they couldn't see anything about themselves other than school.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tulip posted:

You've made Incubus sound like the dozenish people I know that went to grad school because they couldn't handle life without grading and then went into being professors because they couldn't see anything about themselves other than school.

That's funny, because I was trying to describe him in terms of the kind of trauma child soldiers can get! Violence does work at removing your enemies. Incubus knows first-hand how effective violence is at making people stop being problems for him; if anything, Maya's continued existence is proof to him that you win when your enemy is dead, and only then.

Or, to quote a novel about the civil war in Somalia, 'Guns lack the body of human truths' - when you have a hammer, everything is a nail or irrelevant because you can hit it with a hammer anyways until it stops getting in the way of the nails.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Tulip posted:

If you meet God on the road, cite him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Reach tenure through violence

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Reach tenure through violence

*Stabs someone and takes their degree off the wall*

"I am now a... *looks down at the paper* certified doctor of anthropology."

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Twenty Four posted:

*Stabs someone and takes their degree off the wall*

"I am now a... *looks down at the paper* certified doctor of anthropology."

I was an anth major and I think that's not too far off from how it works in that field.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

As we all know, all anthropology majors are required to master a historical weapon of their choosing (many master several, to broaden their skillset in preparation for their Thesis Defence.)

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Royalty is a continuous textbook revision.

Algid fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 19, 2020

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

wiegieman posted:

As we all know, all anthropology majors are required to master a historical weapon of their choosing (many master several, to broaden their skillset in preparation for their Thesis Defence.)

It's purely ritual, like disemboweling an effigy of Joseph Campbell.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

wiegieman posted:

The oldest surviving anthropologist adorns his desk with a single, jagged, bloodstained rock.

If anyone asks him he just says its a good paperweight.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

And a good letter opener, since it’s particularly sharp.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The oldest surviving anthropologist adorns his desk with a single, jagged, bloodstained rock.

If anyone asks him he just says its a good paperweight.
I feel like I'm unabel to get the joke here.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

The oldest weapon is a rock.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Polgas posted:

The oldest weapon is a rock.

Looks like Polgas cain't get the joke either.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Graduation is a continuous papercutting motion.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography sighs and puts a brick in his sock.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography sighs and puts a brick in his sock.

Survival is a continuous running motion.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Survival is a continuous running motion.

Ah, the Rincewind Technique

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The sanctioned action is to Publish.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Consider: there is no such thing as a lecture.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

when i retire from the military in 10 years i will get my teaching certification and live in a barrel.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

when i retire from the military in 10 years i will get my teaching certification and live in a barrel.
The only unrealistic part here is a teacher being able to afford their own barrel.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

PMush Perfect posted:

The only unrealistic part here is a teacher being able to afford their own barrel.

i am married and she can be my sugar momma philanthropist

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I just quit my teaching gig and can confirm, work leases you a barrel.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Murder the Dean and steal his chair.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

SardonicTyrant posted:

Murder the Dean and steal his chair.

So business as usual at UU, at least early in the series.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Well if it’s UU the later iteration of the Dean is famous for having two chairs. So you want to wait for him to ripen before you slay him.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Joe Slowboat posted:

Well if it’s UU the later iteration of the Dean is famous for having two chairs. So you want to wait for him to ripen before you slay him.

He went off to Brazeneck (the cur!) so his chair is vacant. Both of them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ridcully is kind of Royalty, when you think about it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Reach heaven through very big dinners.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Royalty is having the power to obliviate all work and completely destroy the world, and pointedly not doing it.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Bongo Bill posted:

The sanctioned action is to Publish.

If you don't, well...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It occurs to me that Maya is going to Ruin Everything in service of her grudge, but the demiurges will still be incredibly polite and respectful to her as she does it just because it will cheese off Incubus.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Rand Brittain posted:

It occurs to me that Maya is going to Ruin Everything in service of her grudge, but the demiurges will still be incredibly polite and respectful to her as she does it just because it will cheese off Incubus.

Well, it wouldn't be very Royal to care about things like consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ridcully is kind of Royalty, when you think about it.
"The wizards thought they would be getting the sort of countryside wizard who talks to birds in soft voices, wears brown and reveres mother nature (y'know, a push over).

What they got was someone who shoots birds (and anything else), talks at a consistent shout, wears jogging suits and has about as much respect for mother nature as he does for the members of the faculty (which is not a lot). Early attempts to bump off Ridcully resulted in the ambitious Wizard being stabbed with his own knife, having his head repeatedly slammed in doors or being surreptitiously shot with a crossbow.
"

Yeah, that checks out.