Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
They gotta do something, FFS!!! Hold their feet to the fire!

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1317927228601257989

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I don't know wat their problem is, more lobster fishing means more church lobster dinners :rubshands:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What the gently caress. I saw this funny election sign for an independent candidate.

I was like, "graphic design is her passion, lol". The weird font over a messy background made the text look blurry and hard to read from across the street, where cars wait for the light and would see the sign best. The lighting on the photo is also awful. Kinda looks like a case of crazy eyes. But good on her for not going with the generic fake politician smile, I guess. Big pharma? Weird fonts? Is she schizophrenic?

The next day I got a full colour mailer from her. Dang, this crazy independant must have some money behind her.

Oh. Oh no. IDL are tiny independent schools, usually religious. So she wants to take funding out of the public system and divert it to private schools and religious schools. Probably a fundie. Wants to be able to opt out of sex ed, yeah, fundie.

Wait, what. She's a TERF too? The whole women's rights and sterilization of children sounds very TERFy. Looking at the picture her clothes look more like middle-aged second wave feminist lesbian than fundie too. Weird.

Well, wacky local politicians are nothing new, I guess.

A few days later I'm looking up all the local candidates to fill out my mail in ballot and things take a turn I wasn't expecting. The candidate page https://www.jennsmith.ca redirects to https://transanityca.wordpress.com/2020/09/25/jenn-smith-for-mla-victoria-swan-lake/
She's trans? :wtf: Oh, sorry, he's trans. Pronouns are he/him apparently? Self-hating trans lady or bloke in a wig?

Lots of references on the site to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmpV01LtaQ0

Uhhhhhhh, okay that didn't clear anything up. What is going on? Who is bankrolling this?

I shall vote for someone else.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

regarding that absolutely bizarre "vote for me" deal, how the hell is sex ed controversial?

like I understand there are people who think it's bad news to teach humans about the risks and mechanics involved in reproducing but if I remember school right most of my sex ed was teaching about things like "this is how the biology works" followed by "this is a bunch of diseases you have to look out for now" and I think at one point they covered "this is how you can get free condoms from now until the end of college, wear them you giant idiots"

is the controversial part that they teach your kids that non-straight people exist? they're gonna figure that out before sex ed is even on the table

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
TRUTH | DEMOCRACY | FREEDOM | CHILDREN

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I'm getting some big qanon vibes.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

blatman posted:

regarding that absolutely bizarre "vote for me" deal, how the hell is sex ed controversial?

like I understand there are people who think it's bad news to teach humans about the risks and mechanics involved in reproducing but if I remember school right most of my sex ed was teaching about things like "this is how the biology works" followed by "this is a bunch of diseases you have to look out for now" and I think at one point they covered "this is how you can get free condoms from now until the end of college, wear them you giant idiots"

is the controversial part that they teach your kids that non-straight people exist? they're gonna figure that out before sex ed is even on the table

At least in Ontario the conservatives made a lot of political hay over the fact that our updated sex ed from the Liberals included acknowledgement of same sex parents existing, people being trans existing, mention of anal sex and masturbation, and online/modern related stuff. All sufficient to make the religious fundie idiots take to the streets, egged on by Ford and his lot, framed as "parental choice".

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Saw a truck going around putting up liberal party signs here on Vancouver Island. Naturally that truck had Alberta plates.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Smiling Demon posted:

Saw a truck going around putting up liberal party signs here on Vancouver Island. Naturally that truck had Alberta plates.

LOL

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

My partner is working at an election early voting place thing and yesterday a small group of protesters were banging on the windows and followed him out to the car at the end of the day to yell at the elections officials about how they spoil any ballot that isn't a vote for the green, ndp, or liberals

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Is that his house? I don't think he has any actual supporters

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The neighbourhood I grew up in in Victoria had a lot of Natural Law Party signs up when they were a thing so Victoria does get some pretty interesting candidates for whatever elections.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Remember when yogic flying was the goofiest thing about canpol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Juul-Whip posted:

Is that his house? I don't think he has any actual supporters

No it's the intersection of Douglas and Cloverdale. There's another one right across the street so you see it coming and going. I think it's on the public green space so he doesn't need the support of the poor businesses behind his signs.

I believe you that he doesn't have any supporters. Even with prominent signs with his website address, and that website frequently linking to his weird "we need a national commision to investigate trans kids" video, that video only has 752 views.

But how did he get on the ballot? Where is the money coming from? It's just so weird. Maybe not as weird as Toronto's crack smoking mayor, but pretty weird.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Facebook Aunt posted:

But how did he get on the ballot? Where is the money coming from? It's just so weird. Maybe not as weird as Toronto's crack smoking mayor, but pretty weird.

Hey now. That guy was just an angrier version of Tommy Boy/Black Sheep, and for some reason* a whole lot of people decided they'd like to see what would happen if he ran the city. His entire claim to fame was that he would return your phone calls.

*The reason was that they are incredibly dumb.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Oct 19, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

flakeloaf posted:

Remember when yogic flying was the goofiest thing about canpol

also the coolest :coal:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

But how did he get on the ballot? Where is the money coming from?

England, probably

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

infernal machines posted:

Hey now. That guy was just an angrier version of Tommy Boy/Black Sheep, and for some reason* a whole lot of people decided they'd like to see what would happen if he ran the city. His entire claim to fame was that he would return your phone calls.

*The reason was that they are incredibly dumb.

Yeah, but the result was funny enough (to people who didn't have to live in Toronto) to get mentioned in american tv late night monologues. Not many Canadian politicians get dunked on internationally.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

BC "Libertarian" party signaling its support for the "freedom rally" this past weekend in Vancouver that was lousy with far-right Trump supporters, QAnon, Sons of Odin, and PPC goons

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Libertarians, Sons of Odin, and Falun Gong all arms locked in one shitshow. Lmao.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Juul-Whip posted:

BC "Libertarian" party signaling its support for the "freedom rally" this past weekend in Vancouver that was lousy with far-right Trump supporters, QAnon, Sons of Odin, and PPC goons

lol what a loving mess of a party

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
WAYS TO SUPPORT MI'KMAQ TREATY RIGHTS & LIVELIHOOD FISHERIES
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u_LF_bCFBbSijzqJgHNh4-MfpYz0hfdv/view?fbclid=IwAR1uaRjMpzQkF-10qYaYnx5POqRB_kQdWFweGTVNox086r1k7Zoct_R92Vo

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Manitoba reversed its decision to allow VLT and beverage rooms to stay open. Which means these restrictions imposed last week are...Uhm...finger wagging.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
the manitoba pcs are ordering a report to find out what provincial parks to sell

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

can you post this in canpol too?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

can you post this in canpol too?

sure, you got it!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Manitoba reversed its decision to allow VLT and beverage rooms to stay open. Which means these restrictions imposed last week are...Uhm...finger wagging.

I wonder which one pallister has money invested in

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

sure, you got it!

thanks. this seems like a pretty big deal and the rcmp response to the arson and violence has been beyond pale. i'm curious to see more discussion about it, but i don't have the background to say anything useful

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Juul-Whip posted:

During the last federal election my favorite thing was seeing the libertarian party signs that were just a picture of the results of a political compass test

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Oh if anybody has been following the Hootsuite ICE thing, every single one of the people who had spoken out about it have been fired

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Are you in touch with them? PM me?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Oh if anybody has been following the Hootsuite ICE thing, every single one of the people who had spoken out about it have been fired

there's just no way anyone could have seen this coming

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

responsible disclosure good

anonymous disclosure better

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Ontario's latest coronavirus relief bill seeks to accredit a wingnut college.

https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/1318553196349034497

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

responsible disclosure good

anonymous disclosure better

i have a lot of respect for the people that decided to put this out there, that said, people need to know that if they blow the whistle on their employer in a way that is linked to them, they are ending their carreer. there's not really a way around that. the company that was doing bad things is not going to thank you for being their conscience and future employers are going to think twice about hiring anyone willing to blow up a major account for their company, even if it was for entirely justifiable moral reasons.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
winnipeg currently has covid outbreaks in nine different loving care homes and the province put out a desperation call yesterday for more home care workers and contact tracers to apply and fill jobs. like is there a way to recall a provincial government in this loving country

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

DariusLikewise posted:

winnipeg currently has covid outbreaks in nine different loving care homes and the province put out a desperation call yesterday for more home care workers and contact tracers to apply and fill jobs. like is there a way to recall a provincial government in this loving country

I think you will find everyone that voted in that government have no problem reconciling people dying at care homes at an accelerated rate.

Lol

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

xtal posted:

Are you in touch with them? PM me?

I don't have PMs sorry. One of them is an online leftist and I can track her account down for you to DM her on there if you're doing a journalism or whatever. Another is related to a friend of a friend, which is how I found out.

https://twitter.com/samelaanderson/status/1313515970195984384

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 20:26 on Oct 20, 2020

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Isizzlehorn posted:

I think you will find everyone that voted in that government have no problem reconciling people dying at care homes at an accelerated rate.

Lol

Cutting down on long term care costs just another way the Pallister government is helping tax payers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

apatheticman posted:

Cutting down on long term care costs just another way the Pallister government is helping tax payers

Funding per occupied bed is going up up up!