Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

No Mods No Masters posted:

They were sensitive to the rogue one cgi people backlash and wanted to turn it around into a marketing point that they were being ever so respectful to someone they as good as killed. Additionally maybe they actually deluded themselves into believing the footage they had was adequate

The most peak Disney thing ever is them talking this up and then having one of the worst sequel trilogy characters, Maz Kanata, steal from Leia's corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

one of the worst sequel trilogy characters, Maz Kanata,
Out of curiosity, who's worse?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

IMO Maz is the worst overall but I thought Hux and Phasma were incredibly bad and close contenders.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

The most peak Disney thing ever is them talking this up and then having one of the worst sequel trilogy characters, Maz Kanata, steal from Leia's corpse.

They tried to fix it by retconning that the medal wasn't actually stolen from Leia's corpse - the one Maz gave Chewie was actually a completely separate medal that Han had stolen from Luke years earlier to pay off his bar tab.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I think it’s morally repugnant, I was asking why would it be more repugnant whether the person in question died a year ago rather than 50 years ago.

As Halloween Jack said - morally you're right, there isn't really a difference, it's just a bad thing to do general. But in practical terms it would just have been a terrible business decision when her death is still in recent memory and social media would have flipped out for puppeting the face of a beloved actress and hollywood feminist icon, particularly as her death was directly linked to performing in the very same film trilogy.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

You know what sucked rear end about Disney Star Wars? Them using HOPE all the time. I'm pretty sure the only time it's used in Episode IV is Leia's recording to Obiwan, while that recording gets played a few times, it doesn't linger on the word.

But in the Disney movies, they make it the goddamn centerpiece of their finales. And from what I recall, they place the "hope" around the formation of the Rebellion, rather than Luke, the titular New Hope. Something about it feels so amateurish. Like a hastily written high school essay.

things might get better in the future! watch the next movie to find out!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

- Finn ended up being awful
- DJ
- Janitor jedi kids

Kanata is awful, but those are, somehow, worse.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Maz is way worse than them and is going to be continually shoe-horned into ancillary star wars media for years to come.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Who the gently caress is maz kanata, and why

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think they've given up on maz, much like they've given up on everything related to the sequel era that isn't the mandalorian. However I think I've wrapped all the way around on it, and now I would be excited to see 'that one exec who will stop at nothing until maz is this generation's yoda' try and fail spectacularly yet again

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Maz is the worst because shes a union busting scumbag

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wouldn't mind Maz as much if only her eyes didn't look so gross

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Maz is the worst because shes a union busting scumbag

I can’t recall the film, does it imply one way or another what side of that dispute she’s on?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's the guys rebuilding her dumb rear end castle, it's pretty likely she's not on the side of the workers. The best defense I've heard is that she hired scabs just to lure them there so she could murder them. I wish on that one, but it's a stretch

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Maz is objectively worse than those other characters because she only exists to deliver exposition. (Hux was in the same boat in TFA, but later went on to do literally anything besides that, making him better than Maz.) That's just an extremely basic mistake, like if there was a whole scene of Peter Cushing walking around in women's slippers and it made it into the theatrical cut.

Jewmanji posted:

I can't recall the film, does it imply one way or another what side of that dispute she's on?
It would be odd to say you're having a union dispute if you're on the union side. She owns a thousand-year-old castle topped with a statue of herself, so I don't see how she could be a union steward. If she's both management and the leader of the union, that would make her analogous to Ronald Reagan and therefore even worse than Palpatine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

It would be odd to say you're having a union dispute if you're on the union side. She owns a thousand-year-old castle topped with a statue of herself, so I don't see how she could be a union steward. If she's both management and the leader of the union, that would make her analogous to Ronald Reagan and therefore even worse than Palpatine.

Agreed, the most generous interpretation is that she runs with a lot of criminals doing criminal poo poo out of her place like Jabba and she's being sarcastic about some group that works for her making a move on her castle or how they owe her $$$ or whatever.

In the trailer they had her come with them to, uh, Resistance outpost where Leia was and she's the one that hands Leia the Luke's lightsaber.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

I wouldn't mind Maz as much if only her eyes didn't look so gross

Lol Maz Kanata has brown eyes

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
drat near every alien in the ST is on the orange-brown-beige-mustard-yellow spectrum. It's uncanny.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I liked how there was that one alien that died in the attack on Starkiller Base but they made a continuity fuckup and had him in shots after he died like that communications tech in Space Mutiny so they just made that alien type a more plentiful species that flies X-Wings for the Resistance.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The first and most forbidden of the sealed away prequel techniques is of course the cursed Politics. But Colors are close behind

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Disney forgot the old Clausewitz dictum that war is politics by other means.

Star Politics.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Halloween Jack posted:

drat near every alien in the ST is on the orange-brown-beige-mustard-yellow spectrum. It's uncanny.

Also, pretty much every new alien character across the entirety of Nu-Star Wars speaks English with, at most, a mild accent

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Also, pretty much every new alien character across the entirety of Nu-Star Wars speaks English with, at most, a mild accent

Babu Frik and the banana slug alien from RoS don't

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

Babu Frik and the banana slug alien from RoS don't

By no coincidence, they're the most interesting. (Even if I don't...entirely understand the banana slug alien's deal.)

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Bilirubin posted:

Leia Poppins

It's been 3 years and I still really, really don't get how that bothered people so much.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought the thing with Maz was that she was on a space adventure and there'd been a sudden plot twist where the people working with her betrayed her and she called it a "union dispute" as an action hero one-liner

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

MasqueradeOverture posted:

It's been 3 years and I still really, really don't get how that bothered people so much.

In a vacuum it was an odd choice but pretty mild on the scale of things one might get mad at star wars 8 about.

I think it only especially rankles in hindsight insofar as leia clearly should have died in star wars 8 after fisher died, and everyone should have known that, and the scene shows just how easy it would have been for them to do it. Not trying to defend JJ here of course, but in a sense the original blame for zombie leia in star wars 9 is on rian's (or whoever's) insane decision not to retool things after she died, and the scene is now a particularly vivid totem of the mistake.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Also seems weird that she flies through the star destroyer hologram as "foreshadowing". Indeed, that would've been good forehadowing if she'd been the one who performed the kamikaze run! In fact, the movie would've been much better for it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The OT had a small creature that spoke cryptically in Yoda. That's why Maz exists. That's all the thought they put into it; "We need a Yoda for this trilogy."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

2house2fly posted:

I thought the thing with Maz was that she was on a space adventure and there'd been a sudden plot twist where the people working with her betrayed her and she called it a "union dispute" as an action hero one-liner

I mean, that’s how I always took it, and it got a laugh in the theater when I saw it. But when you don’t like the movie, small problems become larger and you everything tends to bother you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Davros1 posted:

The OT had a small creature that spoke cryptically in Yoda. That's why Maz exists. That's all the thought they put into it; "We need a Yoda for this trilogy."

The interesting-but-squandered idea with Maz was that she would be one of three ‘neutral’ mutant characters who aren’t Jedi. The title perhaps originally referred to her stepping out of hiding at the same time that FN and Rey start developing their powers.

It’s in the reshoots Maz turns into a redundant Jedi-adjacent weirdo (since we already have Leia), and it’s in Episode 8 that she’s suddenly flipped to being a awful parody spy character (blasting leftists with gadgets while friends with James Bond, in a particularly bizarre and distracting tangent).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Almost literally.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

My least favorite ST character is DJ, just because when he takes Rose's necklace he lets Finn go on a stupid tirade about how important Rose's sister's necklace is when he could have just explained he was going to use it as a lockpick.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

DJ is the only character besides the fascists who shows appropriate disdain for the libs, so while I don't love him neither can I loathe him on the same level as everyone else

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

whoops

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MasqueradeOverture posted:

I didn't mind her force pulling herself back to the ship, just that it appeared she was standing up but tilted while doing it given how her dress hung. It was just badly shot IMO

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

No Mods No Masters posted:

In a vacuum it was an odd choice but pretty mild on the scale of things one might get mad at star wars 8 about.

I think it only especially rankles in hindsight insofar as leia clearly should have died in star wars 8 after fisher died, and everyone should have known that, and the scene shows just how easy it would have been for them to do it. Not trying to defend JJ here of course, but in a sense the original blame for zombie leia in star wars 9 is on rian's (or whoever's) insane decision not to retool things after she died, and the scene is now a particularly vivid totem of the mistake.

They didn't have the guts to kill two OT mains in the same movie and Rian/producers really, really wanted Luke to die.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

My least favorite is Finn because he does every black negative character trope (scared joke character, not able to date a white woman, dates the only other minority character, ends up kind of around the only black woman in the universe) strictly because Disney was super scared of offending white people but still wanted a black main character to be woke.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SolarFire2 posted:

They didn't have the guts to kill two OT mains in the same movie and Rian/producers really, really wanted Luke to die.

Moreover and most importantly, I imagine, they didn't want to spend additional money or delay the movie. There were reasons to be sure, they were just ones focused on short term profit extraction and not on what was healthy for the story. A shocker I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Robot Style posted:

Almost literally.

Ralph Yoda