Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Vandar posted:

And this is how I learned that YTMND is still alive and kicking.

https://profx.ytmnd.com/

Huh, they were dead last year, but Wikipedia says that it got "saved" and updated to HTML5 and relaunched this past March. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Adventures into the Unknown #45 (1953)

The Defenders #6 (1973)

The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, Deluxe Edition #6 (1986)

Impulse #67 (2000)

The Death-Defying 'Devil #2 (2019)

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

robziel posted:

Nancy continues to be amazing

It makes more sense like this:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Onomatopoeia

From Excalibur Volume 1 issue 14

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Beerdeer posted:

Onomatopoeia

From Excalibur Volume 1 issue 14

Do you have a better sound for when you punch Kang?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Push El Burrito posted:

Do you have a better sound for when you punch Kang?

OG Excalibur could have a lot of fun with the sound effects. Ba-THROOM!! was a favorite.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Darthemed posted:

Impulse #67 (2000)

j'onn should keep the doiby dickles look imho

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Saoshyant posted:

You can even see signs of it in Peter David's original run of X-Factor in the 90's.

Also, it rules.

Yup. That's the defining Sinister. Before that he was just a weird dude, a cut-rate Apocalypse doing menacing stuff for Mutant Reasons. But unlike all the rest of the characters getting the Peter David voice in X-Factor (with the exception of Guido, Jamie was already jokey), his PDification somewhat stuck. Some panels:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

dordreff posted:

j'onn should keep the doiby dickles look imho

pretty sure that's Woozy Winks

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

FoneBone posted:

DC somehow manages to have the most unconventionally named sidekicks that keep popping up every so often before waddling back into obscurity.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

FoneBone posted:

ah gently caress it is too. thought it was Doiby because he spent basically the whole 90s hanging around with Impulse and Young Justice

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Re: The Packers are soft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u5n1EZpTAQ&t=201s

Interesting analysis, that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Plas doesn't seem like the type to get mad at having WW's costume, he probably shouldn't be shouting, it's a nice chance to wear a bit of blue for a change!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Plas doesn't seem like the type to get mad at having WW's costume, he probably shouldn't be shouting, it's a nice chance to wear a bit of blue for a change!

The costume’s his skin

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't Plastic Man's costume his skin? Shouldn't that really, really hurt?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Even worse, imagine being the one suddenly wearing it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Isn't Plastic Man's costume his skin? Shouldn't that really, really hurt?

I mean, it's magic, I'd imagine it's probably fine. Then again, that sure is a face he's making in the second panel.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Darthemed posted:

Even worse, imagine being the one suddenly wearing it.

wouldn't be the first time someone wore Plastic Man

that said, whoever that is looks the second most distressed after Plastic Man himself

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

FFT posted:

wouldn't be the first time someone wore Plastic Man

that said, whoever that is looks the second most distressed after Plastic Man himself

That's Jesse Quick having the existential costume crisis.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

Adventures into the Unknown #45 (1953)

"I suppose you think that ape over there is gigantic, don't you? Nawp, he's just really, really close. :rolleyes:"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Blue Beetle #8 (1941)

Adventures into the Unknown #49 (1953)

The Fantastic Four #13 (1963)

Spidey Super Stories #21 (1977)

Saban's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #4 (1996)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Don't let them fool you, they just want some jet!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The “the noise is the music” is a real thing that has happened at least once

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

The “the noise is the music” is a real thing that has happened at least once
John Cage's 4'33"?

Wikipedia posted:

4′33″ (pronounced "four minutes, thirty-three seconds" or just "four thirty-three")[1] is a three-movement composition[2][3] by American experimental composer John Cage (1912–1992). It was composed in 1952, for any instrument or combination of instruments, and the score instructs performers not to play their instruments during the entire duration of the piece throughout the three movements. The piece consists of the sounds of the environment that the listeners hear while it is performed,[4] although it is commonly perceived as "four minutes thirty-three seconds of silence".[5][6] The title of the piece refers to the total length in minutes and seconds of a given performance, 4′33″ being the total length of the first public performance.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Who you gonna call when you're in hell? Frankie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Saoshyant posted:

Who you gonna call when you're in hell? Frankie.

I have some bad news for you and Frankie regarding making deals with Satan.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Don't let them fool you, they just want some jet!

Damnit i was thinking the exact same thing,brb gonna install fallout 2 again.

(Never did use myron,might try him)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Adventures into the Unknown #49 (1953)

I'm sure this ends with Frankie getting owned eventually in a twist, but the smile on the devil's face just makes me imagine an alternate take where Satan's sitting around later going "gently caress dude, I can't even be mad, Frankie fuckin' rules"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

TwoPair posted:

I'm sure this ends with Frankie getting owned eventually in a twist, but the smile on the devil's face just makes me imagine an alternate take where Satan's sitting around later going "gently caress dude, I can't even be mad, Frankie fuckin' rules"

I was really curious about this, too, so I went and looked it up.

Gang leader Frankie Boll realizes that he is dying of a rare disease. Terrified of burning in Hell after he dies, he makes a pact with Satan to spare him suffering in Hell in exchange for killing as many gang members as possible to supply Satan with more souls. Afterwards Satan puts Frankie in a death like coma and will obtain his soul after Frankie is buried. Frankie can live in Hell but will not suffer any torment. Problem is after he dies, Frankie is cremated by his wife and is never buried thus canceling the contract. Frankie now has no choice but to burn in Hell for all eternity!

I'm also curious about the woman in the background who doesn't seem particularly tormented on that rack....

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...why would that cancel the contract? Satan just has to wait for those ashes to get buried by like, the aftermath of a tornado or something, probably with ironic timing, this is Twilight Zone 101.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...why would that cancel the contract? Satan just has to wait for those ashes to get buried by like, the aftermath of a tornado or something, probably with ironic timing, this is Twilight Zone 101.

Are you saying that the Lord of Lies, the Prince of Darkness would try and use the letter of the Law interpretation over the Spirit of the Law to dick someone over?

I'm shocked.

(Fun fact. Irish folklore and ghost stories are full of the Devil showing up and being outwitted by someone using the letter of the contract over the Spirit of the contract.

That's because they were code for Irish people getting one over their English oppressors.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You misunderstand. Getting killed cancels the contract he had about NOT suffering in hell, because Satan would take him there while still alive and employ him as an emissary. Suffering in hell is the default outcome without a contract. Also, it turns out that people in Hell relive their death over and over, so getting cremated ironically condemns him to the eternal hellfire he was trying to avoid. I thought that was a nice bit of worldbuilding.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
The way I read it was Satan fakes Frankie's death by putting him in a 'death like coma.' Frankie is supposed to get pronounced dead, buried, then his soul goes to hell, but without the torment. Instead, Frankie gets presumed dead, then cremated, which actually kills him, and sends him to Hell the old-fashioned way. Ooops.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bust a deal
Face the wheel

https://i.imgur.com/nkDxD4C.mp4

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
To clarify, here are the key panels.

The contract was never cancelled. Frankie will "suffer only the torments experienced in dying," but since his wife had him cremated, he ended up worse off than he would have with the torments of his disease. Since he never got buried, he didn't pass Go, and doesn't get to jump directly to Hell before dying.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
This is why communication is so important in a relationship. If I ever make a deal with satan I’d definitely tell my spouse about it, and I’d expect them to do the same with me.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you only experience the torments you suffered in dying, then that woman in the background died from being whipped to death. That's a hell of a way to go.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

This is why communication is so important in a relationship. If I ever make a deal with satan I’d definitely tell my spouse about it, and I’d expect them to do the same with me.

Or just put your disposition preferences into your will.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Snake Maze posted:

The tragedy is that his love of his wife is what dooms him. Satan offers to take him bodily to hell, but he insists on having a public death, so his wife can inherit his estate without issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Zaodai posted:

If you only experience the torments you suffered in dying, then that woman in the background died from being whipped to death. That's a hell of a way to go.

That's unrelated