Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If DX's janky shooting is a problem, I know that one of the fixes Biomod has (that may or may not be shared with Shifter or GMDX) directly addresses it. If I'm remembering right basically vanilla behavior is to set the reticle to maximum bloom regardless of your actual skill level and then shrink it down quickly to where it should be, whereas the fix has it just start already set to your stat-defined maximum spread value and then proceed from there.

Barudak posted:

Yeah I watched that video and that was just incredible and really helped explain how they got morrowind and its expansion running on the OG Xbox.

I never actually beat Morrowind mind you because I got to some quest where the directions were like "walk straight ahead then turn left for a cave" and I never found it and it made me a lifelong fan of quest markers in an instant.

Aren't there a few of those in Morrowind where the directions are straight-up wrong? For that added spice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
look i just want simon to head a new quake

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

XIII was a blast back in the day, but I assume it hasn't aged well.

What I do remember is that enemies were scarily accurate, even enemies with a shotgun could snipe you from across a warehouse.

I also wonder if they'll keep the hilarious anti-climax cliffhanger

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

John Murdoch posted:

If DX's janky shooting is a problem, I know that one of the fixes Biomod has (that may or may not be shared with Shifter or GMDX) directly addresses it. If I'm remembering right basically vanilla behavior is to set the reticle to maximum bloom regardless of your actual skill level and then shrink it down quickly to where it should be, whereas the fix has it just start already set to your stat-defined maximum spread value and then proceed from there.

Aren't there a few of those in Morrowind where the directions are straight-up wrong? For that added spice.

There are a couple quests where they unintentionally messed up the directions, and a lot more where the quest giver’s directions are intentionally vague and you have to get to the general area and ask someone else for a more precise location.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

AMC TC is loving trash, I can't make it over the running jump gap in the tutorial because there isn't enough momentum and the game just flat out doesn't tell you where to go from HQ.

I don't even know what button is bound to sprint by default??

Zeether fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 19, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I too couldn't figure out the first level of AMC TC. It's been a long time so I can't tell you specifically what happened, but I remember feeling like quite the dummy

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I figured out what button did what but I still hate it. Just let me PLAY THE GAME, don't start me off in some dumb hotel and tell me nothing. I also have the feeling there's a bunch of annoying rear end button puzzles too because of the tutorial and having Scroll Lock be the default to open the PDA is just ridiculous.

I even beat the tutorial and it just plopped me back in the hub world thing with no explanation of where to go. Unless they have some kind of manual I'm done with this game.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 19, 2020

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Been a while since I played it, but I recall there's something like a map screen in the base where you select missions. When I played it you started out in a headquarters, you hit use button on some screens or whatever. May have been the previous version. I think it's a pretty good mod, some great maps. As I recall at least one dev of it posts in this fine thread, they might chime in.

As I recall I was playing AMC version 2, but I never played any of version 2's missions, I was still catching up playing the version 1 missions. The later missions may be accessed in a different way than the screen thing I remember.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

AMC TC is the definition of "throw a ton of poo poo at the wall and see what sticks". There's some absolutely brilliant materials worth your time, but its also way too ambitious for its own good, think .

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

It's not a bad game entirely but I just wish it wasn't so obtuse

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I don't think it's ever stated, but if you select your character with the right mouse button you'll spawn in the main hub instead of your character's apartment, and from there you can hit up the equipment room/lab/mission select

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

LvK posted:

I don't think it's ever stated, but if you select your character with the right mouse button you'll spawn in the main hub instead of your character's apartment, and from there you can hit up the equipment room/lab/mission select

WHAT

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

Is Blood supposed to be an infuriating save/load trial and error fest or am I just poo poo.
I'm playing on lightly broiled and I just beat Doom on ultra-violence so I figured I was halfway decent at these retro shooters, but I am getting my rear end kicked all day by instant reaction hitscan shotgun cultists and it hasn't been fun at all.
I get that you're supposed to throw dynamite around corners but it seems like half the time it doesn't kill everyone and when I peek to see if there's any enemies remaining I get instantly punished and eat shotgun immediately.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

whenimmashoo posted:

Is Blood supposed to be an infuriating save/load trial and error fest or am I just poo poo.
I'm playing on lightly broiled and I just beat Doom on ultra-violence so I figured I was halfway decent at these retro shooters, but I am getting my rear end kicked all day by instant reaction hitscan shotgun cultists and it hasn't been fun at all.
I get that you're supposed to throw dynamite around corners but it seems like half the time it doesn't kill everyone and when I peek to see if there's any enemies remaining I get instantly punished and eat shotgun immediately.

It's way harder than Doom on UV so you're not just poo poo. Keep pushing through or lower the hitscan in Made to Order, if you're playing via Fresh Supply. Pink On The Inside is too easy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

whenimmashoo posted:

Use custom difficulties to reduce reaction time and such. All the Build games are a lot harder than Doom and Blood in particular has a stupidly inverted difficulty curve. The first episode is the hardest because you start with nothing and there’s hitscanners everywhere.

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

Ok yeah I persisted to the carnival level and this is a lot more managable with a tommy gun. Still brutally difficult and near instantly fatal but seemingly not designed solely to frustrate me.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
https://forums.duke4.net/topic/7640-release-eduke32-addon-compilation/page__view__findpost__p__351077

the new version of the eduke32 addon pack is now avaliable for testing

al-azad
May 28, 2009

whenimmashoo posted:

Ok yeah I persisted to the carnival level and this is a lot more managable with a tommy gun. Still brutally difficult and near instantly fatal but seemingly not designed solely to frustrate me.

The first episode is absurd. Everything after that isn't a cakewalk but much more manageable because they basically give you more ammo for the napalm launcher than the shotgun.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

AMC TC you are either going to bounce right off the initial learning cliff that comes with trying to crowbar all this stuff into duke (it has multiple customization menus of multiple characters with multiple currencies for different kinds of upgrades) or have enough time and patience for it to turn into a normal TC and get to experience the really good maps and lite-rpg elements/customization it offers. After turning off the amateur voice acting the story is ok too has some intrigue and horror elements I thought worked. I like having secrets that actually give you weapons and resources to permanently upgrade you or make future missions play different.
You have to read the manual first to know all the added features before you start playing though.

2020 I'm playing strife on my nintendo is not the future I expected.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 20, 2020

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Extra fresh because I only just now got the email confirming the final regions:
https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1318359969931030529

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

whenimmashoo posted:

Blood's hard as loving poo poo and the most basic enemy will happily murder you in a second '

I wonder how well cranking up the enemy count and reducing hitscan accuracy works with Death Wish? I'm just about to wrap up Episode 2 so I might try it for Episode 3.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rocket Pan posted:

Extra fresh because I only just now got the email confirming the final regions:
https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1318359969931030529

Hell yes. Buying this day one. I’ll buy anything you guys put on Switch.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ll buy anything you guys put on Switch.

Ah perfect, I'll tell Larry BMXXX is back on the table.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rocket Pan posted:

I just bought Postal on Switch. Don’t tempt me.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Flannelette posted:

2020 I'm playing strife on my nintendo is not the future I expected.

It get's crazier; The Switch is the only game console that can run the code as is. Because it uses Nvidia Tegra and its driver support, it has support for OpenGL1.5 (kind of, it supports the core profile if you can supply the headers) so we managed to get it to work without any revisions to the renderer. The source code release will show you there is very little difference between the Switch and PC code other than a couple of behavioural changes. Heck, most of the changes we had to do was just getting it working in SDL2 and just making the game not be a total drag under exclusively gamepad controls.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 20, 2020

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/668320/Perilous_Warp/

This Perilous Warp game out today looks promising. Some cool looking levels at least.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More cake, bishop?

https://twitter.com/Mclogenog/status/1318288391612616704

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

whenimmashoo posted:

Until recently I thought Blood was hugely overrated for the reasons you've said; Fresh Supply's custom difficulties have let me see just how great it is. Pump up the enemy numbers to high but set the cultist accuracy and aggression to low. You'll still get trouble from them, but it eases off the traditional Build hitscan bullshit and allows you to enjoy the game.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/668320/Perilous_Warp/

This Perilous Warp game out today looks promising. Some cool looking levels at least.

Getting big Chasm vibes from those guns.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This looks like an interesting megawad. Happy
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/114645-happy-now-on-idgames/

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Until recently I thought Blood was hugely overrated for the reasons you've said; Fresh Supply's custom difficulties have let me see just how great it is. Pump up the enemy numbers to high but set the cultist accuracy and aggression to low. You'll still get trouble from them, but it eases off the traditional Build hitscan bullshit and allows you to enjoy the game.

This is how I'm playing Death Wish and I love it. loving a bundle of dynamite into a huge mob of zombies and getting through massive encounters with 20~ hp

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Rocket Pan posted:

My grandpa once told me to stop looking at this game's case in the videogame rental store. I've been curious ever since, let me buy this

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rocket Pan posted:

The source code release will show

There's gonna be a source code release for a console port?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

There's gonna be a source code release for a console port?
I'd imagine the PC and console versions are using much the same code now that they've been ported to SDL2, so it'll basically be the PC code with any console code (and probably things like Steam API calls) quietly taken to a back room to wait out the ruckus.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

The Kins posted:

I'd imagine the PC and console versions are using much the same code now that they've been ported to SDL2, so it'll basically be the PC code with any console code (and probably things like Steam API calls) quietly taken to a back room to wait out the ruckus.

Pretty much. Much like Steam and GOG, all the Switch SDK stuff is either hidden behind some abstract functions that do nothing in the normal code, or is abstracted by SDL2 itself. Such as calling up the virtual keyboard, the function is dummied out on PC and always returns false, and we just simply don't include the Switch SDK version of it in the release.

Note that before anyone gets any funny ideas; this is not permitted as a linking exception in GPL, we instead have permission to do this in regards to the Strife disassembly (the condition being we do a GPL release in spirit of the license).

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 20, 2020

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I always wondered how different Blood would play if the cultists' weapons used fast bullet projectiles instead of hitscans, the way that Nazis! mod for Doom solved its hitscanner problem.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

I find it hard to go back to hitscan shotguns after playing a bunch of AD with its projectile shotties. Gameplay implications aside they just feel more meaty that way.

It's more meaty, but for example for the new workhouse in AD, the shotgun with 3 barrels, it feels more meaty because it does 50% extra damage and because the shot spread is way less than in vainilla. Having to fire 8 times instead of 4 to a somewhat distant enemy makes weapons feel less good.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 20, 2020

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
AD should reskin the regular shotgun as some sort of pistol, the super shotgun as the original shotgun, and its triple shotgun as the super shotgun.

Three barrels just seems a bit excessive and the original shotgun is kind of dull.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

AD should reskin the regular shotgun as some sort of pistol, the super shotgun as the original shotgun, and its triple shotgun as the super shotgun.

Three barrels just seems a bit excessive and the original shotgun is kind of dull.

I would like a shotgun in quake with proper reload animation between shots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Part of Dusk's genius is none of the enemies use hitscan attacks.

Anyone play that cyberpunk game that just came out? Someone posted about it earlier.